Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chitown chicity. Show chitown chicity's posts

Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports

Hey everyone,

I'm a student at BC and I'm writing a paper about steps the admin and AD could take to make BC sports (specifically football) more prevalent on the East Coast. Coming from Chicago, I've noticed that not many people around here care for BC sports, which is strange for me (Chicagoland area is firm ND/Illinois territory). 

I understand New England is a region completely dominated by pro sports, but I think that there can be a niche for college sports in there. BC is the only major college athletic program in the Boston area (not including Connecticut here, for the record), so I think it's possible for the program to attract the casual NE fans if the admin/AD make the right moves.

What do you guys think would help this happen? Besides the program performing well and racking up wins; that's a given. It would probably be difficult to attract people with strong ties to BU, NU, etc because they already dislike BC because of hockey. But I think its definitely possible to get the casual NE fans to support the Eagles. Especially small families who want to go to sporting events- the pro teams's tickets are quickly becoming too expensive, and BC could become a cheaper alternative. Sidenote: that could eventually attract a large fanbase because those kids would grow up with the Eagles, and be loyal.

What are your ideas? I actually plan on submitting this paper to the athletic department itself, and do everything I can to promote the ideas in it. I love and care about this school deeply, and I'd do anything to fix the condition it's in now.

This thread isn't meant to promote any sort of "BC elitism" that I hear about sometimes. I hate elitists myself.

THIS IS MEANT FOR PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY HAVE AN INTEREST IN TALKING BC SPORTS. Donn et all, PLEASE DONT RESUME TO YOUR NORMAL MINDLESS BC BASHING HERE. We already know what you think about BC, so please keep it at that. Please don't let this thread be reduced to the same level as the other ones, I want to actually do something with this paper, and ideas from people who care really help.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chitown chicity. Show chitown chicity's posts

Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports

I think that promotion is a huge factor in this, BC needs to make it known that they are out there, and a big way they can do it is by establishing a partnership with the Big 4 Boston teams. By actively marketing themselves as THE college team of Boston, I think they could attract fans to Alumni on Saturdays (another football game to go to cus the Pats play on Sundays). This could rub off on the other programs, like basketball (only big-time conference team). Hockey probably won't get the same effect, because loyalties already exist with other Boston schools.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kenneyc. Show kenneyc's posts

Well, Gollllly GEEE!! Finally, a sane, intelligent posting on this somewhat "sick" site. I mean sick in that it usually refuses to consider anything of a healthy possibility. Speaking from many years' experience (A 1960 grad---you figure the age), who is also a Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins fan (Sorry--somewhat tepid with th Pats); I know there is quite a bit of interest in good collegiate sports. I also know that many parents are searching for venues to expose their kids to good athletics and at a cheaper price. Some fgood marketing from BC could attract that audienec (Not only BC alums either). I live 25 minutes from the PawSox Stadium and at $5 a ticket (Sometimes $3) thatplace is filled with young uns watcjing the "soon to be" Red Sox starters for the chapest seats anywhere in NE. And even the food is good (For the price)..BC could do abetter job in attracting this crowd. The young kids in the stands aren't out for wins all the time; they get lost in the sport. Try it with football and basketball--it will pay off.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chitown chicity. Show chitown chicity's posts

I agree completely. From what ive seen, BC does a TERRIBLE job at promoting/marketing itself. ive seen that theyve started to make that sort of sell with the basketball program by making tickets ridiculously cheap. we should further expand on it, and in a way that doesnt make us seem desperate. Its a great idea.

also, its BC; an ACC school. they play at a high level (well, the quality of the football playing this last season was very poor... but i digress). its not a semi-pro team or minor leagues. they play at the highest level of college sports. even when im a BC alum living back in Chicago, ill probably take my kids to northwestern games instead of wolves games (semi-pro hockey) once in a while for that very reason.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

I gave up my season football tickets years ago because it got to be too much of a hassle getting to the games, with satellite parking in Needham and having to take a shuttle bus. It became an all-day commitment, and I wasn't that committed. I've had basketball season tickets since '77 and I know from personal experience that many fans gave up their season tickets when the per seat surcharge (aka Flynn Fund Donation) for "premium" sideline seats was instituted several years ago, at between $500-$1000 per seat. After supporting the team for many years, seeing it through the construction of Conte Forum when they played home games at the old Boston Garden in front of very sparse crowds, many took the seat surcharge as a slap in the face. That's some of the history, but I'm not sure how to win those fans back because of the bitterness toward the athletic department. Maybe you could find out how many season ticket holders have given up their premium seats. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

Another issue I just thought of, again for basketball, not football, is the lack of student attendance at games, the Duke game being the exception. Why are the students not turning out to support the team? As a student, maybe you could provide some insight. I'm vacationing in the Miami area now, and the U of Miami is having the same problem. (Miami is last in ACC basketball attendance, BC second last). Is it because there are so many more entertainment options for students in these areas?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports:
    [QUOTE]Another issue I just thought of, again for basketball, not football, is the lack of student attendance at games, the Duke game being the exception. Why are the students not turning out to support the team? As a student, maybe you could provide some insight. I'm vacationing in the Miami area now, and the U of Miami is having the same problem. (Miami is last in ACC basketball attendance, BC second last). Is it because there are so many more entertainment options for students in these areas?
    Posted by indians1948[/QUOTE]
    A lot of what I read here could be applied to UMASS - now that BB has shown some signs of life, student attendance is on the rise. Funny how easy it is to jump on the bandwagon with everyone else.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]I think that promotion is a huge factor in this, BC needs to make it known that they are out there, and a big way they can do it is by establishing a partnership with the Big 4 Boston teams. By actively marketing themselves as THE college team of Boston, I think they could attract fans to Alumni on Saturdays (another football game to go to cus the Pats play on Sundays). This could rub off on the other programs, like basketball (only big-time conference team). Hockey probably won't get the same effect, because loyalties already exist with other Boston schools.
    Posted by chitown chicity[/QUOTE]

Chi, how does the UMASS move to Gilette figure in all this? Maybe the development of an in-state rivalry, but based on the thumping we took from a not-so-good BC team this past season this might be a  stretch. Two decent BC/UM teams could make for big attendance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]I gave up my season football tickets years ago because it got to be too much of a hassle getting to the games, with satellite parking in Needham and having to take a shuttle bus. It became an all-day commitment, and I wasn't that committed. I've had basketball season tickets since '77 and I know from personal experience that many fans gave up their season tickets when the per seat surcharge (aka Flynn Fund Donation) for "premium" sideline seats was instituted several years ago, at between $500-$1000 per seat. After supporting the team for many years, seeing it through the construction of Conte Forum when they played home games at the old Boston Garden in front of very sparse crowds, many took the seat surcharge as a slap in the face. That's some of the history, but I'm not sure how to win those fans back because of the bitterness toward the athletic department. Maybe you could find out how many season ticket holders have given up their premium seats. 
    Posted by indians1948[/QUOTE]
    You know, I could've written this letter about UMass moving into the Mullins Center - my once great basketball seats got worse and worse as the team got better, but when the teams got worse and so many of those "rabid" fans jumped ship, my seats didn't get any better and when I finally (my first year was Dr. J's freshman season), after 30+ years failed to renew the reaction from the AD was tepid, to say the least. I remember a quote coming out of the UCon AD saying they "rewarded loyalty & longevity" ...... does that mean the bandwagoners that donate big bucks beat out long-time ticket holders/alums? You bet - Money Talks and Everything Else Walks!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]I will answer as objectively as I can.   The teams have to be relevant again and it ALL starts with recruiting.   I know the BC line is to say their athletes need to be top notch students but as we see with Stanford football and Harvard hoops, you can’t use that as an excuse as those schools are much better academically yet compete on a national level.   Boston is a wonderful town to live in and should be an attractive option for kids but at BC losing begets losing and the kids want no part of it.   You have to ask yourself why Uconn in hoops is a national mecca for talent (while being a rural school) yet can attract more talent than BC?   Why is that?   Coaching is a big part of it, history of sending impact players to the professional ranks, playing in front of a rabid fanbase and most of all winning.   The kids want to be part of winning teams.         So let’s use this paper to compare to Uconn basketball and how BC can try to mimic what happened there.   I know BC fans may cringe reading this but be open minded and think how Uconn is a national contender year after year as they rose from a spot where BC currently is (doormat in a good league).   When Uconn went to the BE, at first they struggled but eventually became a power.   A lot of big hoop recruits turned the tide at Uconn to play in the middle of nowhere for a fiery new coach in Coach Calhoun.   Some can say the reason Uconn turned relevant was when the Israeli guys came (Hennefield and Scheffer) or Tate George or Cliff Robinson.   I think and so does Calhoun the turnaround came when Chris Smith (Bridgeport, CT) a highly decorated IN-State recruit chose Uconn instead of leaving the state to play at a traditional national power.   This started a trend with national recruits that Uconn has a good thing going and a good place to play.   The point is to keep the good recruits in-state and build a base.   Uconn lately has been stealing any Mass talent that comes around (Oriakhi, Napier, Jeff Adrien and Coombs-McDaniel when he played was a big recruit).     Now Massachusetts has some very good high school basketball talent especially with the prep schools in New England yet they can’t capitalize.   Nerlens Noel is a game changer recruit and from Everett, Mass and he won’t even look at BC (Kentucky, Syracuse and Uconn are a few he is seriously considering).   You have to ask yourself if the BC contingent feels BC is a great place to be, why aren’t the in-state recruits feeling that also?     How can’t you sell recruits on playing in the ACC and the opportunity to play the likes of Duke and NC and soon to be Syracuse?     That is what Calhoun said about the BE when he started and the kids responded.      Some things you can’t change like the weather and having big time pro sports but recruiting has to be a priority and the latest round of kids at BC just aren’t good enough for the ACC or national attention.   I also think when BC made a big stink about Uconn joining the ACC that was a big mistake.   Why be afraid of the best and why be afraid of competition?   You don’t think having a good rivalry with BC and Uconn would be a lot of fun?   That was a sad and petty move by DeFlippo.
    Posted by Donnnn[/QUOTE]
    And some say it was when big money moved into UCon sports.................

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

[QUOTE]Well, Gollllly GEEE!! Finally, a sane, intelligent posting on this somewhat "sick" site. I mean sick in that it usually refuses to consider anything of a healthy possibility. Speaking from many years' experience (A 1960 grad---you figure the age), who is also a Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins fan (Sorry--somewhat tepid with th Pats); I know there is quite a bit of interest in good collegiate sports. I also know that many parents are searching for venues to expose their kids to good athletics and at a cheaper price. Some fgood marketing from BC could attract that audienec (Not only BC alums either). I live 25 minutes from the PawSox Stadium and at $5 a ticket (Sometimes $3) thatplace is filled with young uns watcjing the "soon to be" Red Sox starters for the chapest seats anywhere in NE. And even the food is good (For the price)..BC could do abetter job in attracting this crowd. The young kids in the stands aren't out for wins all the time; they get lost in the sport. Try it with football and basketball--it will pay off.
    Posted by kenneyc[/QUOTE]
    FIGHTING IRISH

FIGHTING IRISH
    FIGHTING IRISH
    FIGHTING IRISH

FIGHTING IRISH Jerian Grant led Notre Dame with 20 points and added three assists and two rebounds.
    FIGHTING IRISH
    Jerian Grant led Notre Dame with 20 points and added three assists and two rebounds.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

Need to go along way to beat the #20 Ranked IRISH!

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) - Swiftly and convincingly, No. 20 Notre Dame pulled away with the kind of resolve that has characterized the Irish's transformation during a head-turning nine-game winning streak.

Using balanced scoring and defensive quickness, the Irish coasted to a one-sided 71-44 victory over West Virginia on Wednesday night after leading by two points at halftime.

"I thought our offensive efficiency was excellent in the second half. When you had a chance to put somebody away this group has shown a cruelty to go for the jugular," coach Mike Brey said after the Irish secured his sixth straight 20-win season.

"That's what I really love about us. I think that can help us in March."

Jerian Grant scored 20 points and had a couple of acrobatic dunks, Notre Dame made 9 of 16 3-point attempts, shot 61 percent overall and outscored West Virginia 41-16 in the second half.

Scott Martin added 15 points and Jack Cooley and Eric Atkins had 13 each for the Irish, who were not expected to be contenders after losing three starters from last season and then Tim Abromatis early this season to a knee injury.

The Irish (20-8, 12-3 Big East) have not lost since Jan. 16 at Rutgers and are 15-1 at the Purcell Pavilion. It's the first time in program history Notre Dame has won nine straight Big East games. "They really wanted that record," Brey said. "It's really special for this group to do it."

The Irish went on a 17-4 run to start the second half to break it open.

"We just got into a rhythm and once this team gets into a rhythm I think we can beat a lot of teams," said Grant, whose emergence has been one of the big keys in Notre Dame's tear.

"We just got flowing and obviously our defense held them to 16 points in the second half."

The Mountaineers (17-11, 7-8), meanwhile, are going in the other direction with six losses in eight games. Kevin Jones had 15 points for West Virginia, which shot just 31.5 percent and made only 6 of 27 field goal attempts after halftime. And the Mountaineers misfired on 10 of their 11 3-point attempts.

It was an ugly second half. "They got us in transition and then we panicked and took quick shots," West Virginia coach Bob Huggins said. "Quick shots and bad shots - that's a recipe for what happened. We got so many young guys that they panicked. ... We're not athletic. We're probably the most non-athletic team in the league. When you're non-athletic you start taking some quick shots and all of a sudden they're running at you, you've got problems."

Notre Dame's quickness began to show in the first 5 minutes of the second half after the Irish led 30-28 at halftime.

Atkins' three-point play, a steal leading to a dunk by Grant and Grant's 3-pointer after an offensive rebound built a 10-point lead. After a timeout, Atkins hit a jumper and Martin connected on a 3-pointer and the 17-4 run put the Irish up 47-32.

Grant took off on a dunk attempt with just less than 10 minutes to play and lost the ball on his way to the rim. But he hustled and came up with the ball in the corner and hit a 3-pointer to give the Irish a 58-35 lead.

"I kind of lost the ball. But I got it back," Grant said with a smile.

Just to show how things have been going for the Irish, Cooley tossed up a shot after a timeout had been called and it swished through late in the first half. He scored nine of his 11 points in the final 5 minutes of the first half as the Irish shrugged off a sluggish start and took a two-point lead behind 63 percent shooting.

West Virginia's Darryl Bryant, scoreless in the first meeting between the teams, a 55-51 Irish win in Morgantown on Feb. 8, had 10 points in the first half and none in the second.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : "Finally, a sane, intelligent posting".  Let's not go TOO far, she is still a BC student
    Posted by Donnnn[/QUOTE]

Sad, sad, sad .................................

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Chitown, it's a great question and as an alum who graduated in this decade its something that I've thought about and spoken to the athletic department myself about.  First, here are the issues BC faces.
    1. As you said, very strong pro sports.  People only have so much time
    2. A small school where most alum leave the state after graduation.  I, like yourself, am from the Chi-town area and am the only person I know who stayed in Boston after graduation that wasn't from Mass to begin with.  So, you have a small school and no real alum base.  Hence, NO FANS!.  U of I, Ohio State, Michigan, in addition to not as many pro sports, those schools have 50,000 students, not 12,000, and the majority of the alum are within driving distance.  Just a bigger pool of potential fans to come to games.

These are issues out of BC's control.

Now, some things that BC control but do a very very poor job at.  First and foremost, BC is a jerk.  As a whole, they don't treat people very well.  Have you tried to tailgate on Shea?  It's a nightmare and is only getting worse.  Traffic is terrible, they have rules that are mind-numbingly stupid and they charge large amounts of money for a very small period of time to tailgate.  Whether they like it or not a huge draw of college football is tailgating and they make this experience awful.  I can't tell you how many people I know have said forget it and stopping coming all together.  THis is evident by how empty Shea is now.  Worse part is, BC seems to care less. 

Add to that the rising costs.  I had an uncle who had season tickets to BC football for years, like 30 years.  He got too old so we took over his tickets but they stayed in his name.  50 yard line, 10th row.  Then the "seat license" came in.  So to get these tickets we had to not pay an extra $1000 per seat per season.  Are you kidding?  To sit on aluminium stands?  And I get that we didn't deserve these seats, but they drove away the small local fan base they had by saying "thanks for your years of loyalty but either pay up or move to the upper-deck".  Why would a local want to support the team?  What has BC done to welcome them?

The game experience.  I'm sorry but going to a BC football game makes you feel like you are still in 1980.  Just poorly run all around.  How about updating the soundtrack please....

BC cares about nothing but $$$$$.  When I questioned someone on the athletic department about the seat license (same thing happened to me for basketball) they used the 5th grade answer of "other schools are doing it".  When I laughed they also said they need more money as the athletic department loses money each year.  They cried poor.  A school with an endowment fund over over $1billion is crying poor?!?!  Simply put, that's insulting.  I don't care that they run the school and athletic department finances separately, that's not my problem.  BC isn't poor, far from it.  So to get and plead for every last dollar while providing a terrible game day experience is just absurd.....

I hope this helps.  I am more than willing to talk more about it, as you can tell it's something I am rather opinionated on!  Good luck with your paper.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

Open resignation letter to President Lahey;

I am grateful for the opportunities I have received at Boston College. It has been a wonderful experience to serve and to grow as a professional.  BC has a special place in my heart and will always be my school. I have been blessed to work with some very dedicated and talented individuals and I wish the entire College and Community of BC great success.

There seems to be a feeling on the part of some that whenever there are leadership changes that is a sign of some form of failure, which I accept.  But I think those of us within the BC community have grown accustomed to the fact that we do see periodic changes in virtually all positions where we have so many losing programs in the ACC. Such changes can be healthy both for the institution and for the individual. I look forward to bright days within the athletic department which lie ahead.

My best to all, and  farewell

Flippo  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chitown chicity. Show chitown chicity's posts

Thanks for the ideas that you guys have given so far. im really happy with the reception of this thread. ill try to do my best to comment on what everyones said so far.

indians: ill address your second post first. your first one coincides a lot with what momort says. theres a lot of reasons why the student attendance is poor at the bball games. here are some: 1) the team isnt good. most people would rather focus on their hometown teams than pay too much attention to the losers. 2) the scheduling. a lot of the home games are during weekdays and sunday afternoons. that conflicts a lot with schoolwork. BC students are very academically minded: theyre determined to perform well in their classes, and schoolwork always comes first (during the regular week). doesnt help that the curriculum is challenging, so you HAVE to spend a lot of time on your work. more incentive to do schoolwork and d well in your class than watch a losing team. 3) theres not a whole lot of love coming from the community (students, alums, BC admin, boston, etc). its harder to get amped up for the game and want to go when not many people are excited about it. this coincides with reasons 1 and 2. this can change though. by amping up excitement (especially in a couple of years, when the team is pretty good) and support, students will be more eager to go to games and make time for them. 4) the ticket process. BC is one of the few schools who hasnt transitioned to paperless tickets. its harder to get tickets to games for students, and a transition would boost student attendance. an interesting article about it is here: http://www.bcheights.com/news/the-logic-behind-bc-ticket-prices-1.2772328#.T0aLrlFJCfR

5) it would make sense that the U and BC are having problems with student attendance, because theres a lot going on on campus.  i think that the cities the schools are close to make a difference because students can find a lot of other things to do

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chitown chicity. Show chitown chicity's posts

lothar: im not sure how the gillette move fits into the series. the stadium probably wont make much of a difference. id say a possible in state rivalry seems unlikely. from talking to BC and UMass students, i think theyre both pretty apathetic about one another. that and the fact that they arent scheduled to play eachother again for at least a few years... at the very least there would need to be consistent play

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chitown chicity. Show chitown chicity's posts

donnn: calhoun getting uconn to come out of nowhere and land big recruits definitely looks like steve donahue. donahue is a very smart and charismatic coach who the players like. he could definitely land recruits in the future once he improves BCs program. look at what he did with this years team! pretty much all freshman (not even high caliber recruits) and they can compete (however inconsistently). they beat FSU and gave duke a big run for their money the first half of the game. yes they lost to holy cross and co, but look at how theyve grown since then. in an interview with the BC student paper, coach k commented on how the program is on the rise. he knows what donahue is capable of doing

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chitown chicity. Show chitown chicity's posts

i agree, the tailgating sucks. the gameday experience for football absolutely sucks. today i went to the athletics external operations and the associate AD was nice enough to talk to me about this very issue. apparently, because of bcs location, they have to deal with both the city of boston and newton. that includes neighborhood issues, tailgating licenses, parking, fire codes, traffic patterns, etc. boston has very high fire codes, and the city wont let the department put backs on the bleachers in alumni because its a fire hazard (yeah, i know. it sounds incredibly stupid). renovations to alumni are also problematic to get approved by the city, because of the neighbors and boston firecodes and etc. also, the city puts limits on parking and tailgating because the neighbors whine about it all the time. theres a lot of other very long and confusing factors tied into it, most of which ill have to email him about to get further clarification on, but bc is trying to take the steps to change the policy and make a lot of those restrictions more lenient. 

going into the meeting i was angry and ready to fight. the assoc AD was really nice about it, and had a genuine answer to every complaint i had. my take home message: BC cares and is doing everything they can to fix things, but god, they suck with handling PR.

i shouldve asked about donor based stuff and the logic behind it. ill ask later. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chitown chicity. Show chitown chicity's posts

doesnt answer everything, but does shed more light onto the reality of the situation and makes me less pissed about it. still didnt get answers to everything i wanted to ask, but hell it was only a 30 minute talk.

momort and indians: what do you guys think?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

I think you hit the nail on the head.  Their PR is horrendous.  They ask ask ask for money and provide very little in return.  In fact the little they do provide is half-arsed and delivered in a way that turns people off. 

And since they have such a small base of natural fans in Boston they should be doing everything they can to kiss the butts of other Mass residents, yet they don't. 

I realize a lot of it is out of their control, however what is in their control they are failing at. 

Personally, I am willing to pay for a tailgate spot and tickets.  I am also willing to donate.  But they need to come at it from a different angle.  When I get a call that says donate to help give more financial aid and the reality is they have a cool billion in the bank and grow tuition by 7% a year, that's pisses me off.  It's the wrong way.  WHen they charge an extra $1,000 to have a good seat at a game because they cry poor and say other schools do it and then I go to game, sits in bad seats and see how many empty seats there are down below, that pisses me off. 

It seems as if they have zero idea of how poorly they are perceieved, even by those who attend or did attend.  Which in itself is baffling.  Either that or they don't care, which is what I believe.  They are stupid, they are just greedy. 

Another thing they really need to do is beef up the home football schedule.  You aren't going to get a regular sports fan to come to a BC game against Buffalo even if tickets are free.  So what if we lose, play people worth playing.

In summary, BC needs to change the way they go about everything. 

AND, the AD needs to not say ridiculous things like "Spaz is the best coach we've had since I've been there..."....it just pisses people off more than they already are.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts