Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmathuna. Show tmathuna's posts

Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports

This is a great topic for a paper. BC is its own worst enemy, and it is not just the athletic department. I am a BC grad and I bleed maroon and gold, but the people running BC are so far out of touch with what BC should or could be it is embarrassing. BC ( the administration) has no loyalty to its alumni, donors (small time) and those who were active members of the ‘subway alumni’. The hockey program alone has support in the BC community. Part of BC’s problem is their denial of admission to highly qualified local kids (who successfully matriculate at other outstanding schools). Many of these students are sons and daughters of alumni or of others who have held BC in high esteem. BC shuts the door. You want to know why the BC student of today is not going to BC games; they don’t know BC has a team…they have found that BC is okay to attend if you get rejected at Harvard. Congratulations to the admission staff, they have produced the best safety school for Harvard want-to- be students…(Tufts may take offense). With every rejection dozens of alumni and their families sign off from BC. Additionally BC tix are not cheap, the Fenway group may know pro sports and moneyball but they do not know BC and the athletic dept follows them around like puppies. BC needs to be the best BC it can be, get the band out of those stupid Ohio high school outfits ( we used to dress like Harvard…develop the New England college angle) BC fans need to learn how to be big time, and that make take some overt instruction from the school (ND does). We do not travel well, accept that for now but use the Catholic fan base in those areas, use Catholic high schools as practice facilities, give tickets to their students; develop our Jesuit network, welcome their alumni to campus and win their support. BC thinks it is too good for everyone but their stuff smells like everyone else’s, they just think it doesn’t. It is so very sad for me when I use ‘they’ as the pronoun; I always used to say ‘we’. But BC put me and a whole community of subway alumni out of our 30 yard line seats ( I gave up the bball before they could.) BC shows no loyalty and wonders why no one cares about them.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports:
    [QUOTE]doesnt answer everything, but does shed more light onto the reality of the situation and makes me less pissed about it. still didnt get answers to everything i wanted to ask, but hell it was only a 30 minute talk. momort and indians: what do you guys think?
    Posted by chitown chicity[/QUOTE]
    FYI, the price of a season basketball ticket in the sections between the foul lines opposite the team benches is $488, plus $1000 Flynn Fund "contribution" (extortion). Granted, they're great seats, but that comes out to about $88 a game, way too high for college basketball.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : This is a good attempt to gain input chitown. A few things have gone wrong for BC. 1. The cost of tickets has been increased, license fees added, and this in a time when the economy has tanked at varied levels since 2001.  2.  The product quality (hoops & football) has declined over the same period. 3.  BC shifted conferences to ACC and therefore defused the rivalry aspect felt by many fans toward their Big East schedules.   *I was not against the move per se, but after this initial period, joining the ACC could be considered, at best, a lateral move, and at an extreme financial cost to the univiersity.* Combining 1 thru 3, this points to mismanagment of the program.  Now, I have been a supporter of many GDF efforts and his amiable manner at establishing relationships for BC especially in the early part of his tenure here, but since the ACC move, I question his ongoing work ethic and priority setting capabilities.  I think this shows in the decline of the program and its fan base. I also find his department lacking in transparency as to decision making.  Saying "other schools are doing it" is not a very professional or mature response to inquiries.  Before issues 1-3 appeared in the early 21st century, BC was already relying on a limited fan base with multiple choices for finding entertainment and sports recreation.  BC has taken that fan base for granted.  They should implement further customer service goals and training to reach such goals, aimed at improving the fan experience.  It's not just the horrible tailgate options, or the foolish fights with the neighborhoods, it's caring about your fans and letting them know it. Aluminum benches should have long since been imporved with padding or replacement. As for the neighborhood battles, it appears to be a case of lessons not (never?) learned.  Until BC spends the $$$ to better contain game day activity to campus, and better manage student activity overall, the neighborhoods will always fight the university. A redesign of lower campus is one way to build a more self-contained game day experience. Some of our older and beloved buildings sit on land that needs to be reclaimed to allow such a redesign that would increase and improve tailgating, parking and improve entry/exit.  The existing facilities and housing can be rebuilt much more efficiently.  Until BC proves it cares about the neighborhood by making such efforts to get the commotion out of the neighborhoods, there will be no cooperation from them. Perhaps if BC shows a true investment in this manner, then the state or municipality might consider some infrastructure assistance to continue the idea of improved traffic flow into and out of campus.  All this is not simply resolved, but BC does not appear to be trying very hard.
    Posted by trbow[/QUOTE]
    Boy are you a blow hard!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bodacious. Show bodacious's posts

Bc does a terrible job of marketing itself. Unless you're a big fan, you wouldn't even know when they were playing. I root for BC football because it's the best in New England, I'm not loyal, I just don't care about  D3 footbTball.T hey need to spend money advertising their games, do a better job of attracting students, alumni and locals to thier games.... Oh, and WIN

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from postingking. Show postingking's posts

Fr. Bill Leahey will need to canvass the immaculate neighbors in tony town Chestnut Hill about their attitude regarding the urination by students on property. Suggest   BC to provide portable Jonnies after each BC loss.

Great NYT best seller here with ample research, this dude could have a best seller.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from postingking. Show postingking's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : FYI, the price of a season basketball ticket in the sections between the foul lines opposite the team benches is $488, plus $1000 Flynn Fund "contribution" (extortion). Granted, they're great seats, but that comes out to about $88 a game, way too high for college basketball.
    Posted by indians1948[/QUOTE]

I guess your not familiar with the Catholic tradition on second collections.

Please give and you'll be rewarded in another life. BC pursues this challenge because it is a worthy goal ($$$$) for any university, but particularly for BC, a university uniquely suited to be a beacon of hope for underprivileged folks.

Give generously?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : Boy are you a blow hard!
    Posted by cheeroh[/QUOTE]

Thanks again for such another notable contribution from behind the furnace in the basement.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

[QUOTE]tmathuna Please stop trying to pat yourself on the back by saying "BC is a Harvard's safety school".  Who on Earth even believes that?  This is the arrogance of BC alum who always try to pat themselves on the back by saying this type of nonsense.  BC is not even near the same league as Harvard.  It's like Bunker Hill CC being the "little brother" of Tufts, not even close. This attitude is why a lof of people hate the BC crowd as in their imaginary world they think they are really incredible students and academic stalwarts.  Most people would rather go to Brandeis or Tufts before BC as they are better schools.  BC was a commuter school and now it's just expensive but a good school but nowhere near the elite level BC alum like to think they are.
    Posted by Donnnn[/QUOTE]
    DONNNN, just a friendly reminder of Chitown Chicity's original request:"THIS IS MEANT FOR PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY HAVE AN INTEREST IN TALKING BC SPORTS. Donn et all, PLEASE DONT RESUME TO YOUR NORMAL MINDLESS BC BASHING HERE. We already know what you think about BC, so please keep it at that. Please don't let this thread be reduced to the same level as the other ones, I want to actually do something with this paper, and ideas from people who care really help."
    You just can't help it can you? And you continue to speak in glaring generalities - "the BC crowd," "a lot of peope hate," "most people would rather," and in your other ridiculous post "many people are wondering." It's not healthy to keep referring to yourself in the plural.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

What's very evident is that the vast majorty of BC alum view the school the same way and it's not in a very good light.  Yet they refuse to see this.

I was at some event that was supposed to be a BC networking thing and of course it was a ruse to get more donations.  I was in a small group of people and one guy said that were upset at how few alum were donating.  He said they big idea was to try and make it automatic, even if just $5 a month.  So you know, people would sign up, forget about it, and the % of alumni that donate (a # that all colleges live on) would be up.  I laughed at the guy and said "Instead of trying to use trick and gimmicks to get donations up why don't you all look in the mirror and realize that your own alumni don't donate because they don't like you.  You are a bunch of jerks.  Once you figure that out, the money will flow"  Of course he looked at me like I had 4 heads. 

Simply put, BC doesn't get it and I don't think they want to get it.  So instead of money money going to a RICH school, I donate to actually needy causes like cancer, earthquake areas, etc....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : That's mostly true.  Except that UMass fans I know consider BC a big rival. They are also well aware that it's a one-way thing.  At best UMass is considered akin a pesky little brother. BC wants him to go away, but they have to deal with him once in a while. But if you're trying to grow BC sports, they really need local rivals to step up.  And encouragement from BC, in the form of scheduling games, would help. If you're suggesting it's a lost cause, well then your entire premise is a lost cause, because you're not going to do it entirely by luring Big Time National programs to Town.  It's hard to get them to come, some will, but not enough to fill an entire schedule.  All that talk about friendlier tailgating and stuff is necessary, but by itself not enough.  As hard as it might be to accept, BC is just another school in the area. We (sports fans from other schools) are not going to your games just because you're BC.  Whatever mass appeal you think you have is mostly lost on the rest of us. We'll see how the Football move goes for UMass.  It's a risk, with no guarantees of success.  But at least they are trying.   In basketball, UMass is not about to concede anything to BC.   Ditto for most of the "Olympic" sports for that matter.  Getting back to Lacrosse, I think they play regularly, but UMass outclasses BC and it's not even close.  With interest growing, locally and nationally,  this is something where a local rival can help BC grow.  Ultimately, BC *has* to move to the ACC in Lacrosse.  Besides the potential for luring local fans to the games, it would go far in helping BC fit in better, culturally speaking, in the ACC.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

Yes, Lacrosse is the answer! Brilliant move for BC. If they can only can football and basketball where they suck!  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : Yeah I know how to read however I will post WHAT I WANT, WHEN I WANT. GOT IT?
    Posted by Donnnn[/QUOTE]
    Nice Tantrum; now go get your binky and blankie and lay down for your nap.  You will be less cranky after

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Guys, stop responding to NDKing.  The guy is too little of a man to respond to statements about how ND football is a joke.  HE only yells about BC but won't talk about ND football.  He's a troll.  Leave him at that.....

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Putting it all together!

Team concept serves united Harvard best!

Congrats Tommy Amaker on a Great Season, now on to the Dance!

The BC Safety School is in the Dust at 8-22!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

In Response to Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports:
    [QUOTE]Hey everyone, I'm a student at BC and I'm writing a paper about steps the admin and AD could take to make BC sports (specifically football) more prevalent on the East Coast. Coming from Chicago, I've noticed that not many people around here care for BC sports, which is strange for me (Chicagoland area is firm ND/Illinois territory).  I understand New England is a region completely dominated by pro sports, but I think that there can be a niche for college sports in there. BC is the only major college athletic program in the Boston area (not including Connecticut here, for the record), so I think it's possible for the program to attract the casual NE fans if the admin/AD make the right moves. What do you guys think would help this happen? Besides the program performing well and racking up wins; that's a given. It would probably be difficult to attract people with strong ties to BU, NU, etc because they already dislike BC because of hockey. But I think its definitely possible to get the casual NE fans to support the Eagles. Especially small families who want to go to sporting events- the pro teams's tickets are quickly becoming too expensive, and BC could become a cheaper alternative. Sidenote: that could eventually attract a large fanbase because those kids would grow up with the Eagles, and be loyal. What are your ideas? I actually plan on submitting this paper to the athletic department itself, and do everything I can to promote the ideas in it. I love and care about this school deeply, and I'd do anything to fix the condition it's in now. This thread isn't meant to promote any sort of "BC elitism" that I hear about sometimes. I hate elitists myself. THIS IS MEANT FOR PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY HAVE AN INTEREST IN TALKING BC SPORTS. Donn et all, PLEASE DONT RESUME TO YOUR NORMAL MINDLESS BC BASHING HERE. We already know what you think about BC, so please keep it at that. Please don't let this thread be reduced to the same level as the other ones, I want to actually do something with this paper, and ideas from people who care really help.
    Posted by chitown chicity[/QUOTE]
    I apologize for the deterioration of this discussion, but that's what generally happens. Donnnn will post WHAT HE WANTS, WHEN HE WANTS as he has told me IN ALL CAPS for emphasis, because he's DONNNN, and he knows how to put people in their place while trying to goad them into answering his ridiculous questions, because he's DONNNN, and he has an EXTREMELY LUCKY wife, because he's DONNNN. ND and Cheeroh and postingking are totally brainless, and will post unintelligible nonsense. And so it goes. Since you attend BC, you're obviously smart enough (drumroll, chest-pounding, after all we're the BC CROWD and we're ALL egomaniacal elitists, just ask DONNNN) to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Sections
Shortcuts