MAC FB Expansion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox01. Show redsox01's posts

MAC FB Expansion

Given all the rumors of a MAC expansion, and the teams mentioned, We could see something like this (and I will give it a new name):     

North American Conference 
    East Division 
     University of Akron 
     Kent State University 
     Miami University 
     Ohio University 
     University at Buffalo 
     Temple 
     UMass
     App. State 

West Division 
     Ball State University 
     Central Michigan University 
     Eastern Michigan University 
     Northern Illinois University 
     University of Toledo 
     Western Michigan University 
     West Kentucky 
     Bowling Green State University  

Underlined are new teams that could be added

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Re: MAC FB Expansion

In Response to MAC FB Expansion:
    [QUOTE]Given all the rumors of a MAC expansion, and the teams mentioned, We could see something like this (and I will give it a new name):      North American Conference  East Division   University of Akron   Kent State University   Miami University   Ohio University   University at Buffalo   Temple    UMass   App. State    West Division    Ball State University   Central Michigan University   Eastern Michigan University   Northern Illinois University   University of Toledo   Western Michigan University    West Kentucky    Bowling Green State University   Underlined are new teams that could be added
    Posted by redsox01[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Minutemen429. Show Minutemen429's posts

I would love UMass to move up to FBS football, but right now there are so many moving parts.  It all starts with the Big East adding one more team, if its Nova UMass moving to the MAC looks good.  If the Big East adds UCF then C-USA will probably add Temple to get back to an even number.  If Temple leaves the MAC then they are back to an even number so they probably won't add a new team, or they would have to add 2 teams, maybe Stony Brook which is close to NYC and upgrading their football facilities.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox01. Show redsox01's posts

Report from the Springfield Republican says that an announcement should come by early March.

Hope we are in!!!

GO UMASS!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

It's mid-March and still no word from the AD on a potential move. The CAA is going forward as if UMass is sticking around, which is not a good sign if you're in favor of an upgrade.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Minutemen429. Show Minutemen429's posts

UMass was going to play a full CAA schedule this year no matter what, I honestly don't think anything has changed.  Every conference says it expects all its members to stay, didn't the WAC say something like that a few months ago. 
    UMass to the MAC is still basically hitched to Nova moving to the Big East.  If Nova moves up, the C-USA doesn't lose a team to the Big East.  Temple stays in the MAC, keeping the MAC at 13 teams, then UMass gets its invite to get the MAC to an even number of teams.  If Nova says no to the Big East thats when I'll say UMass is in trouble regarding FBS.

Unless the MAC's true goal is to expand its footprint to the east coast and is willing to add 2 FCS teams to do it, which I doubt it is.  It's all about even numbers for scheduling.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

In the meantime here's the 2011 schedule hot off the presses.

Thursday, Sept. 1 at Holy Cross - Fitton Field (Worcester, Mass.)
    Saturday, Sept. 17 RHODE ISLAND* - McGuirk Stadium (Amherst, Mass.)
    Saturday, Sept. 24 at Boston College - Alumni Stadium (Chestnut Hill, Mass.)
    Saturday, Oct. 1 at Old Dominion* - S.B. Ballard Stadium (Norfolk, Va.)
    Saturday, Oct. 8 CENTRAL CONNECTICUT (Band Day) - McGuirk Stadium (Amherst, Mass.)
    Saturday, Oct. 15 at Delaware* - Delaware Stadium (Newark, Del.)
    Saturday, Oct. 22 NEW HAMPSHIRE* (Colonial Clash) - Gillette Stadium (Foxboro, Mass.)
    Saturday, Oct. 29 at Richmond* - Robins Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
    Saturday, Nov. 5 VILLANOVA* (Homecoming) - McGuirk Stadium (Amherst, Mass.)
    Saturday, Nov. 12 at Maine* - Alfond Stadium (Orono, Maine)
    Saturday, Nov. 19 JAMES MADISON* - McGuirk Stadium (Amherst, Mass.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

In Response to Re: MAC FB Expansion:
    [QUOTE]In the meantime here's the 2011 schedule hot off the presses. Thursday, Sept. 1 at Holy Cross - Fitton Field (Worcester, Mass.) Saturday, Sept. 17 RHODE ISLAND* - McGuirk Stadium (Amherst, Mass.) Saturday, Sept. 24 at Boston College - Alumni Stadium (Chestnut Hill, Mass.) Saturday, Oct. 1 at Old Dominion* - S.B. Ballard Stadium (Norfolk, Va.) Saturday, Oct. 8 CENTRAL CONNECTICUT (Band Day) - McGuirk Stadium (Amherst, Mass.) Saturday, Oct. 15 at Delaware* - Delaware Stadium (Newark, Del.) Saturday, Oct. 22 NEW HAMPSHIRE* (Colonial Clash) - Gillette Stadium (Foxboro, Mass.) Saturday, Oct. 29 at Richmond* - Robins Stadium (Richmond, Va.) Saturday, Nov. 5 VILLANOVA* (Homecoming) - McGuirk Stadium (Amherst, Mass.) Saturday, Nov. 12 at Maine* - Alfond Stadium (Orono, Maine) Saturday, Nov. 19 JAMES MADISON* - McGuirk Stadium (Amherst, Mass.)
    Posted by redbarchetta88[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

Fitton Field: My new topper for worst place to watch a football game (at least on the visitors' side) in New England - gotta love that I-290 road noise and a stadium staff that took courtesy lessons from graduates of Gestapo U!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

In Response to MAC FB Expansion:
    [QUOTE]Given all the rumors of a MAC expansion, and the teams mentioned, We could see something like this (and I will give it a new name):      North American Conference  East Division   University of Akron   Kent State University   Miami University   Ohio University   University at Buffalo   Temple    UMass   App. State    West Division    Ball State University   Central Michigan University   Eastern Michigan University   Northern Illinois University   University of Toledo   Western Michigan University    West Kentucky    Bowling Green State University   Underlined are new teams that could be added
    Posted by redsox01[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

Gotta love that New England flavor ... I can just see the hordes descending on Foxboro to the the Minutemen face Buffalo!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

[QUOTE]Gotta love that New England flavor ... I can just see the hordes descending on Foxboro to the the Minutemen face Buffalo!
    Posted by LOTHAR43[/QUOTE]

James Madison, Old Dominion, and Georgia State hardly qualify as New England flavor. Unless you want to see UMass play Central Connecticut or Bryant every year, it's the MAC or bust.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MAC FB Expansion : James Madison, Old Dominion, and Georgia State hardly qualify as New England flavor. Unless you want to see UMass play Central Connecticut or Bryant every year, it's the MAC or bust.
    Posted by redbarchetta88[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

From the lack of any announcement from Amherst, it's not MAC, IT'S A GREAT BIG BUST!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Minutemen429. Show Minutemen429's posts

[QUOTE]From the lack of any announcement from Amherst, it's not MAC, IT'S A GREAT BIG BUST!
    Posted by LOTHAR43[/QUOTE]

The first announcement on conference realignment is going to come Nova.  The deadline to file papers to move to FBS is currently June 1st.  Right now UMass and the MAC are still waiting on what happens with the Big East.  I've read the Nova trustee's are supposed to meating next week but who knows if a decision will come out of that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

Nova is still waiting to make a move from the irrelvant Football Championship Subdivision to the Football Bowl Subdivision. Why UMass wants to tie their fate to what Villanova is doing is beyond me. It reinforces the inferior mentality UMass has, that we cannot make the move ourselves and need someone to make the decision for us.

I can't wait to see UMass vs Central Connecticut or Bryant because Miami of Ohio isn't up to par.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Minutemen429. Show Minutemen429's posts

I don't think UMass wants to tie a potential move from the FCS to the FBS to Villanova.  You have to have an invite or move up as an independent and deal the the problems of creating a schedule with no conference affiliation.  UMass's invite is dependent on the MAC trying to have even numbers, so its dependent on Nova and Temple.  UMass is actually trying to be proactive while FCS falls apart because of cost, hopefully the FBS move takes place, but UMass isn't in the drivers seat, the situation sucks but it is what it is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrapperdapper. Show wrapperdapper's posts

[QUOTE]I would love UMass to move up to FBS football, but right now there are so many moving parts.  It all starts with the Big East adding one more team, if its Nova UMass moving to the MAC looks good.  If the Big East adds UCF then C-USA will probably add Temple to get back to an even number.  If Temple leaves the MAC then they are back to an even number so they probably won't add a new team, or they would have to add 2 teams, maybe Stony Brook which is close to NYC and upgrading their football facilities.
    Posted by Minutemen429[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrapperdapper. Show wrapperdapper's posts

UMass joining the MAC?  Oh!  That's what every UMass alum says.....still part of the Atlantic Ten?  Oh!  Toledo playing at Gillette?  Oh......

Join the Big Ten!  The would create an "OH SHEET!" moment for Syracuse, BC, UConn and all the others who would then compete with the biggest school in the Northeast within the conference with the most alumns in the land!  If you are going to Go Big, Go all the Way to Big Ten!  Big State Schools and Northwestern are in the Big Ten and UMass fits right into that mold of huge research institutions that are flagships of their respective states.  The MAC is a Jr Varsity conference which is full of the Bridgewater States and Fitchburg States of Michigan and Ohio....don't sell UMass short of it's expanding greatness.

The Big Ten wants expansion.  UMass offers a front door key to one of the largest TV markets in the land.  Additionally, UMass has sports that already could compete such as Lacrosse, Softball, swimming and soccer.  Football is already on par with Purdue and the cellar dwellers and DK would get a huge recruiting boost at the Mullins. 

It's time Senator Brewer and the 17 other UMass State Congressional Grads put some political muscle behind UMass to truly put it's fine institution in the line of greatness. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

As I said before, if UMass is going to stay in the CAA and wait for an invite to the Big East, they're going to be waiting for a long time. If you pay attention, you'll see UMass is low on the Big East radar. They will not give an invite to an FCS program just moving up. The MAC is willing to take us. They are the tunnel that reads out of Shawshank: it's not pretty, but it gets you to where you need to go.

Other than that we're better off folding the program until we get alums who actually care about the team's success.

Sections
Shortcuts