Reflections on the Clemson game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Reflections on the Clemson game

1. The free fall continues. Now 6-6 in the ACC, losing 4 of last 5.

2.  Even I was shocked to read Stevie Wonder's concession in today's Blaudschun column in which he virtually admits that he was unprepared for Clemson after his 20 years in the Ivy League - and he can't even beat those teams (former Ivy opponents, with whom you'd expect him to know well) on our schedule.

3.  If there was ever a game that cried out for Coach Skinner's flex offense, last night's game did. With the horrid 3-point effort ( 9 for 30), and with the inability to score over their big men, the ideal would be to put them in foul trouble and make them pay from the line. The flex does just that - as well as imposing some obviously badly needed discipline on Stevie Wonder's just-chuck-em-up game plan.

4.  Putting this game on in ESPN Rivalry Week is an oxymoron. We have scant history with Clemson. For as we all know. our actual rivals now play in a far better conference.

5. And just how big a "rivalry" this represents was glaringly evident on TV. The section behind the Eagle bench - rows and rows, as far as the eye could see - was EMPTY, with the exception of one guy wearing Clemson colors who appeared for the second half. There appeared to be NO fans of The Institute in attendance.

Where were all those ACC zealots who laud Dear Leader's move?

And where were all those students and families from the Carolinas who were allegedly drawn to alma mater in droves by the sainted one's cash-driven defection from the Big East?

There were 8,925 fans at Littlejohn, several times what Conte attracts on most nights.

And nary a one donning maroon and gold!

Thanks, Gang of Two, for making us a misfit in the ACC and a pariah to college hoops in general!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LongPotter. Show LongPotter's posts

Re: Reflections on the Clemson game

In Response to Reflections on the Clemson game:
    [QUOTE] The section behind the Eagle bench - rows and rows, as far as the eye could see - was EMPTY , with the exception of one guy wearing Clemson colors who appeared for the second half. There appeared to be NO fans of The Institute in attendance.       Where were all those ACC zealots who laud Dear Leader's move?       And where were all those students and families from the Carolinas who were allegedly drawn to alma mater in droves by the sainted one's cash-driven defection from the Big East?           
    Posted by Longputter[/QUOTE]

Two word answer: Who cares?

Why is it important that fans are present at away games?

You seem obsessed by this, but you appear to be the only one.  When we were in the Big East, how many BC fans were present for basketball games at Miami? At Pitt? At West Virginia? At Notre Dame? Virtually none!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LongPotter. Show LongPotter's posts

LP,

Why should we believe your evaluation of Fr. Leahy over that of Peter Lynch? Peter Lynch has a wife and children (neither of which you have), a successful career, and has dedicated himself to a life of philantrophy and service to the Church? Have you ever encoutered anyone in life who has ever questioned the integrity of Peter Lynch? Why should we believe the ravings of an aged and infirm crank like yourself vs a pillar of the community like Peter Lynch?

Or how about Fr. Kennedy, the rector of the BC Jesuit Community?

Or Fr. Paulson, the rector of the Loyola Jesuit Communit?

Or Richard Styron?

Or Michael Murray?

All the above are well-respected and successful and known for integrity.

Let's compare to you. Is there any doubt that parents in your neighborhood intruct their children to stay away from you? Have to be suspicious about never-married elderly men.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Here is a reflection.  Your boy Skinner left SD with a crappy roster, so bad that SD had to recruit from the Plex.  (i assume my guess that you aren't an athlete of any type, the Plex is where sports are played by students at BC).  Yes, yes, I know you will respond that Ravenel and Sanders left.  They left because they were told that they were going to have to get their fat butts in shape.  And unlike the rest of the team, Paris is the prime example, they wanted to continue being fat and lazy and they left.

Here is the real summary.  At 15-7, BC has exceeded any expectations that a rational logical knowledgeable sports fan would have had.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

The Clemson game showed that the team still needs to add talent and buy into the program 100%.  Not surprising in year 1 of a transition.

I think I mentioned way back that the team could make the tournament if they won 10 games in ACC play.  It looks like that may be out of reach, though you never know how they might gel.  Despite this, I think what they've achieved is admirable considering the 2 years recruiting lapse by Al Skinner (a fine gentleman we all agree) and the need to fill the bench from pick up games as mentioned by momort. 

Next year might be worse.  They'll lose a little talent, but the coach will have a better program in place, we'll see.  You have to be willing to watch the program build, unless you want to remove academic restrictions and bring in the one to two year phenoms, constantly fielding a team of AAU mercenaries.  Is that the program you want LP?  Will that sufficiently represent your fine institution and the lads in charge?

Also, does any intelligent fan think that the administration expected fans to travel to Clemson, or most of these destinations when switching to the ACC?  No, it's a risk they were willing to take because the Big East was disintegrating.  BE is now a mix of East, South (yea, let's add TCU!) and Central, with its own difficult travel commitments, especially for hoops.

Just a note to the troll gang: I was discussing the team and the program, and not just dropping a cleveland steamer in the forum and leaving, which is their standard practice here...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Clemson is now 5-0 against BC at home, while they are 1-4 at Conte.  I think it has less to do with the offense and more to do with homecourt advantage for each team.  Why didn't the flex work in the four prior years?

Please do not make me go to the attendance figures where I absolutely owned you over the analysis for last year; you will see that the BC attendance is usually around 5-6K per game in the conference.  It is nowhere around "several times less".

BTW the best attendance at Littlejohn this year is 10K; BC attracted a pretty decent crowd at 8,900. I believe that this represents the fourth largest crowd at Littlejohn this year

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAS881. Show CHAS881's posts

In Response to Re: Reflections on the Clemson game:
    [QUOTE]The Clemson game showed that the team still needs to add talent and buy into the program 100%.  Not surprising in year 1 of a transition. I think I mentioned way back that the team could make the tournament if they won 10 games in ACC play.  It looks like that may be out of reach, though you never know how they might gel.  Despite this, I think what they've achieved is admirable considering the 2 years recruiting lapse by Al Skinner (a fine gentleman we all agree) and the need to fill the bench from pick up games as mentioned by momort.  Next year might be worse.  They'll lose a little talent, but the coach will have a better program in place, we'll see.  You have to be willing to watch the program build, unless you want to remove academic restrictions and bring in the one to two year phenoms, constantly fielding a team of AAU mercenaries.  Is that the program you want LP?  Will that sufficiently represent your fine institution and the lads in charge? Also, does any intelligent fan think that the administration expected fans to travel to Clemson, or most of these destinations when switching to the ACC?  No, it's a risk they were willing to take because the Big East was disintegrating.  BE is now a mix of East, South (yea, let's add TCU!) and Central, with its own difficult travel commitments, especially for hoops. Just a note to the troll gang: I was discussing the team and the program, and not just dropping a cleveland steamer in the forum and leaving, which is their standard practice here...
    Posted by trbow[/QUOTE]

Bumbling College just totally screwed up going to ACC where it can't compete.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

The Clemson game showed us why BC posters are frauds, big talk, alot of excuses, and no delivery.  Realizing Dona huey a coach that could go all the way, is now a coach dangling with no confidence and has lost a  team which simply does not does not listen or respect.

@Provpats is a moron, as the best part of the Clemson debacle was his attendance analysis, and not how BC's big bad White center Trapani got completely out classed by Jeari Grant.  Happily for BC their minute of success pays their failure for years which all BC bashers enjoy!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Long Potter (aka Gatzie),

If you know those members of the Board of Trustees, you may want to ask them the reaction of the Board to a certain purchase of property in Ireland several years ago costing several million dollars that was done in the name of the school by a certain person without prior approval.

Hmmm.......

provpats,

I await your attendance figures.

trbow,

If Coach Skinner did not recruit for 2 years, whose recruits won 15 games so far this year?  Huh???????

Also, if you think that the BE is "disintegrating", then you also likely believe that The Institute and its Gang of Two are respected by other schools.

THAT delusion speaks for itself.

momort,

As noted in this corner before (to the consternation of y'all), the 3 departing Eagles were recruited by two teams that ranked in the top 12 of the nation, and one other that is constantly at the top of its conference.

Also, can there be ANY doubt that the presence of those 3 on the Eagle roster would be a major plus, both now and in the future?

To y'all,

Your silence about the ineffectual strategy used by Stevie Wonder against Clemson is deafening.

Peace, lads and lasses.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Reflections on the Clemson game : Two word answer: Who cares? Why is it important that fans are present at away games? You seem obsessed by this, but you appear to be the only one.  When we were in the Big East, how many BC fans were present for basketball games at Miami? At Pitt? At West Virginia? At Notre Dame? Virtually none!
    Posted by LongPotter[/QUOTE]

We care momort as BC athletics whether basketball, football or baseball is a National non-entity and over hyped by your simplicity! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

[QUOTE]
    trbow , If Coach Skinner did not recruit for 2 years, whose recruits won 15 games so far this year?  Huh??????? Also, if you think that the BE is "disintegrating", then you also likely believe that The Institute and its Gang of Two are respected by other schools. THAT delusion speaks for itself.
    Posted by Longputter[/QUOTE]

LP.- Coach Skinner recruited the players you speak of, juniors and seniors who've contributed to the team this year...though he did not recruit Trapani, who needed to beg for a transfer and has only begun to play at an acceptable level under Donahue.  Recite the freshmen and sophomores he's brought on board to the program who could actually stay in school. They represent his last two years of recruiting efforts.  Post away.
    And the BE is in as much trouble (or worse) as over half the conferences in the ncaa, with money games and power plays at every turn.  In the BE case, the league has tenuous alliances based solely on basketball that will only last until a better offer comes along.  It also has football desperation that casues a Texas school to be added to an eastern league.
    And do you have proof that the two "lads" are disrespected by other schools?  If so, post away.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Last year's attendance figures

Attendance 2009-2010 season

2-3K 3x
    3-4K 1x
    4-5K 5x
    5-6K 2x
    6-7K 2x
    />8K 4x  all ACC games

This year to date

3-4K 3x
    4-5K 2x
    5-6K 3x
    6-7K 2 x
    7-8K 1x

we do not have a Duke game at home this year.  I think the figures are comparable if not better

Also you failed to answer the pertinent question about the flex; why would it have succeeded this year when it failed at four previous attempts at Clemson?  Please be a man and answer this for us please.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

trbow,

Re Trapani: it would be illegal for Coach Skinner to have recruited a player at another school.

Where is your proof that Joe had to "beg" to come to The Institute?

The point is that he wanted to come to Coach Skinner's program, and gave up a year of action to do that.

As to the underclassmen: 

Rakim Sanders, a key recruit, left for a better program at Fairfield.

Brady Haeslip, also a top recruit out of Canada, also left for a better program at Baylor

Evan Ravenel: same thing, but this time it is Ohio State, currently the nation's best team.

And you boys STILL are silent re the brilliant Stevie Wonder stategy used at Clemson.

Hmmmm

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

LP, those 3 players were not recruited by other schools.  It is illegal to recruit players that are under scholorship.

Wrong again on two teams in top 12.  Baylor is unranked and is not a better program.  Currently they have a similar record to BC and over the past 5, 10, 15, and 20 years BC has had much more sucess then they.

Saying Fairfield is a better program is just silly.  I mean, back that up please. 

OSU is obviously a great program, especially right now.  However I am willing to bet you that Ravenel never sees the floor.  Ever.  He's is too fat and lazy to do the work.  I am shocked they wanted him but let's see how that plays out.

So, you are 1 for 3.  Wrong on Fairfield and wrong on Baylor.

I am not going to answer your stupid question about the strategy used against Clemson.  We all know SD has a style of play.  You are again using the smallest experiement pool to judge, this time 1 game.  By that logic, his "strategy" has worked 15 times and failed 7.....

Lastly, what does it say to you about the job Skinner was doing that SD was shocked by the lack of physical shape the team was in when he arrived?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Also, while I don't know if Joe T begged to come to BC, I know he was the one who asked Skinner about coming here.  However, that is how all transfers happen.  Again, schools/coaches are not allowed to contact players under scholorship at another school.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

And to all those who keep saying that the players have given up on SD and aren't listening to him any more you don't know what you are talking about.  Just because equally or more talented teams beat a team it doesn't mean the coach has lost his say. 

Stop using normal losses as reasons to support your silly rationale.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

LP - Trapani put in for the transfer to BC.  You are correct, Skinner did not recruit him in the first place, and had no idea what to do with him for three years. 
    Regarding the other players you listed, as another bigmouth has said many times: "you're makin' my point."

About your flex obsession, why would SD try to switch to an offense his team does not practice?  Your screaming for the flex makes no sense.   Whether it's a decent offense or not, this team does not play it.  Al, a fine gentleman we all agree, is gone so no use screaming for the flex...but you can speculate that if Al was coaching last week and his team used the flex in Clemson, they would have lost just as they lost all Clemson road games under Al. 

I wish you great peace of mind when you let go of Al.  Ceglarski's gone too.  Milbury left in two weeks.  I liked them too, but I'm not writing to fixate on their absence constantly. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

Provpats,

8606 for yesterday's Maryland game.  That is a sell out.

Since something positive happened LP will probably go silent for a few days.  Though he may now jump on the women's team losing to Duke.

About BC at Clemson, they have not won a game there for either coach so I guess I do not understand LP's point.  The flex did not work against them in the past and Donahue's system did not work for him in his first try.

Based upon KenPom it looks like BC has a good shot at 3 more wins.  Note, they were supposed to lose the game to Maryland yesterday.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 82ndAB. Show 82ndAB's posts

BC was told to keep out of the deep South yet, with VT and UNC coming up on the road, airborne man is looking  favorably on 2 more loses in Dixie bringing the grand total to an 11 loss season!  With UVA also a road game, and in the deep South, BC could surpass 2010's favorable showing for those damn Yankees! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 82ndAB. Show 82ndAB's posts

[QUOTE]Also, while I don't know if Joe T begged to come to BC, I know he was the one who asked Skinner about coming here.  However, that is how all transfers happen.  Again, schools/coaches are not allowed to contact players under scholorship at another school.
    Posted by momort[/QUOTE]

Let's see his style of play and great coaching ability when he plays a ranked team next Saturday in Dixieland ... shall we say even up Yankee, or give airborne ranger 34 points in Chapel Hill? The UNC game will knock BC out of it's second consecutive NCAA appearance!  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

82, that very well may be true, no tourney for BC this season.  However, coming into the season no one expected that to begin with.  So I ask, what's your point?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LongPotter. Show LongPotter's posts

[QUOTE]BC was told to keep out of the deep South yet, with VT and UNC coming up on the road, airborne man is looking  favorably on 2 more loses in Dixie bringing the grand total to an 11 loss season!  With UVA also a road game, and in the deep South, BC could surpass 2010's favorable showing for those damn Yankees! 
    Posted by 82ndAB[/QUOTE]

I sometimes think that whr, cheeroh, undking and 82ndAB are all the same poster. Anyone else? Just really not very educated and barely literate. All four of them.

They just literally not seem to understand what they are talking about. For example, they always misuse the word "troll". They have heard it before, so they are not unfamiliar with it but they don't understand the definition of the word.

Simialrly in this post. The "deep south"? Virginia and North Carolina are in the South, but they aren't in "the deep south". I mean just look at a map. It is pretty self-evident.  Some people don't even consider South Carolina to be the Deep South, namely the official website of the Deep South:

http://www.deep-south-usa.com/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

They all sound like my cousin who is in high school.  Love the kid, but often need him to translate his emails/text to english as I can't understand highschool-speak any longer....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from postingking. Show postingking's posts

Love these posts, LP starts chaos between the bashers and BC clowns, as it appears the clowns lost sight of the NCAA National ranking and overlooked the Big East's domination and assess where BC dwells in the cellar and unranked by a wide margin. All things considered, the ACC is a joke this year, as the Big East dominates. 

Habitually, all these posts try to put forth a BC's athletic program  has credibility Nationally, but in actually BC has never achieved much for a long time now even when  Jared Dudley was game on. "Refuse to Win" should be their motto on the road!  BC in being a bottom dweller never has and never will attain a Final Four, as the local Boston Globe pretender simply does not get crediible talent!

Should all the clowns at BC take a reality check and assess where their Basketball program is headed, and cowboy-up with some Benjamins' for quality coaching, and rid themselves of the Donahue's sniffing at the next opportunity to collect a bigger pay day some credibility would be restored.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

You're right it is funny fake LP.  The 2 bashers with 6 accounts (2 of them kings) should sign them all off, come up from the basement, and get mom a dozen roses for valentine's day.

It's ok, they can crawl back down and post again tomorrow, err, actually tonight since they'll have nothing else to do except log on.

Sections
Shortcuts