Reflections on the Maryland game

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LongPotter. Show LongPotter's posts

Re: Reflections on the Maryland game

In Response to Re: Reflections on the Maryland game:
    In Response to Re: Reflections on the Maryland game : Yahoo do you have a job, or do you just hang tough around the blogs and let LP beat you up? When your in a hole stop digging your no match for the Longputter. Be original which I doubt you can ... Will Hunting you are not ... 
    Posted by googleboy

Sigh.

Between cheeroh, whr, UofNDKing can we get one BC hater who can write at a 12th grade level?

Its "You're". You are. Not "Your".

"Your" is the possessive, indicating ownership.

Also how about some commas or periods? "When your in a hole stop digging your no match for the Longputter". Again, to quote Faith Hill: You just wrote that.

Any BC hater who can write at the level of a high school graduate, please step forward.

I won't hold my breath.

Doesn't it say something when the folks who hate BC the most are also - by far - the least educated?

Googleboy perhaps you should spend your time on something that better fits your education level. Like shoveling my snow.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Poor Gatzie wrote (again under his synonym) the following:

"Its "Your're". You are. Not "Your"."

Does the boy never tire of humiliating himself?

What the self-appointed grand grammarian does not know is that the conjunction for "you are" is "You're."

Better get back to the text books, my son,  before Mom discovers your error and engages parental controls.

momort,

1. The facts speak for themselves. The only black men's coach WAS fired and replaced by a White Irish-American of scant achievement, who brought to The Institute a 60% career losing season record at an Ivy League School. Be candid: What does that tell you?

2, And thanks for the offer, but I decline to "shut up" at your direction, my man.

3. Seems you're not prospering in the evaluation section here.

provpats,

1.  With due respect, I'll need some documentation as to your game figures. Specific games, please.

2. Despite the coming of Stevie Wonder and the sweeping program reformation that it was to bring (which did not materialize), Conte is hardly overtaxed this season. That is precisely why the use of Newton South High School for the Newton Invitational Tournament is valuable: i.e.  we will soon know if we can put enough people in its stands to justify our move there next Fall.

3. THIS JUST IN: The Newton people confirm that Centenary has requested that it be seeded so as to face The Institute in the first round of the NIT. Seems the folks down there in Louisiana figure that this pairing gives them their best chance to avoid a winless season.

Peace, chums!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LongPotter. Show LongPotter's posts

Poor Gatzie wrote (again under his synonym) the following:    "Its "Your're". You are. Not "Your"." Does the boy never tire of humiliating himself? What the self-appointed grand grammarian does not know is that the conjunction for "you are" is "You're." Better get back to the text books, my son,  before Mom discovers your error and engages parental controls. momort ,    1. The facts speak for themselves. The only black men's coach WAS fired and replaced by a White Irish-American of scant achievement, who brought to The Institute a 60% career losing season record at an Ivy League School. Be candid: What does that tell you ?     2, And thanks for the offer, but I decline to "shut up" at your direction, my man.     3. Seems you're not prospering in the evaluation section here. provpats ,      1.  With due respect, I'll need some documentation as to your game figures. Specific games, please.       2. Despite the coming of Stevie Wonder and the sweeping program reformation that it was to bring (which did not materialize), Conte is hardly overtaxed this season. That is precisely why the use of Newton South High School for the Newton Invitational Tournament is valuable: i.e.  we will soon know if we can put enough people in its stands to justify our move there next Fall.        3. THIS JUST IN : The Newton people confirm that Centenary has requested that it be seeded so as to face The Institute in the first round of the NIT. Seems the folks down there in Louisiana figure that this pairing gives them their best chance to avoid a winless season. Peace, chums!
    Posted by Longputter

Quick Question LP, who bears the responsibity for the Basketball gambling scandal that you hype so much in your signature?

A.) Fr. Monan who was President at the time
    B.) Bill Flynn who was AD at the time
    C.) Dr. Tom Davis who was coach at the time
    D.) Fr. Leahy who as grad student at Stanford at the time
    E.) Gene DeFillippo who as an assistant football coach at Youngstown State and  Vanderbilt at the time

Based on your signature you clearly blame "Boston College" for the scandal and as Presient at the time the responsibilty must lay with Fr. Monan, correct?

Similarly who is responsible for the football gambling scandal?

A.) Fr. Leahy, four months into his tenure as President
    B.) AD Gladchuck
    C.) Head Coach Dan Henning
    D.) Gene DeFilippo, AD at Villanova

You seem to want to blame Fr. Leahy for the basketball scandal even though he was years away from being asociated with Boston College.  After all you have harped on the basketball scandal but yet also praised Fr. Monan and AD Flynn. Curious.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from eaglebeagle1. Show eaglebeagle1's posts

In Response to Re: Reflections on the Maryland game : Quick Question LP, who bears the responsibity for the Basketball gambling scandal that you hype so much in your signature? A.) Fr. Monan who was President at the time B.) Bill Flynn who was AD at the time C.) Dr. Tom Davis who was coach at the time D.) Fr. Leahy who as grad student at Stanford at the time E.) Gene DeFillippo who as an assistant football coach at Youngstown State and  Vanderbilt at the time Based on your signature you clearly blame "Boston College" for the scandal and as Presient at the time the responsibilty must lay with Fr. Monan, correct? Similarly who is responsible for the football gambling scandal? A.) Fr. Leahy, four months into his tenure as President B.) AD Gladchuck C.) Head Coach Dan Henning D.) Gene DeFilippo, AD at Villanova You seem to want to blame Fr. Leahy for the basketball scandal even though he was years away from being asociated with Boston College.  After all you have harped on the basketball scandal but yet also praised Fr. Monan and AD Flynn. Curious.
    Posted by LongPotter
    Potter, in my post above I also asked LP to square his admiration for Fr. Monan, given what happened on his watch, with the attacks on Fr. Leahy. Still waiting for an answer, not that I expect him to be on point. Maybe he'll have an easier time with your multiple choice format than with my open-ended approach.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Sorry I will not give it to you; it is easily obtainable from the BC website.  this is akin to all the references you made to the  abnormally high dean and faculty turnover but refused to provide any details.  My figures are accurate

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

What does the firing of Al Skinner for SD tell me?  It tells me that Skinner was growing stale, the team was on a downward slope and they hired an up and coming coach who had just taken an IVY team quite far in the NCAA tourney.  That's what I see.

You see BC being racist yet you are too little of a man to actually come out and say it.  You chicken sh*t.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

As for actual logical BC hoops talk, does anyone else see that BC is going to be very very bad next year.  It will be Reggie and a bunch of Freshman.  And as we don't get nor want the Kentucky type 1 and done freshmen, we are going to struggle next season.  However, it's not a bad thing.  A total start over letting SD take the time he needs to mold the program into what he wants it to be.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

Agreed, and I've mentioned this before, year 2 might be worse.  LP will have a blast by himself in the forum.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

He will.  He'll be calling for the straight up execution of SD.  Not a firing, but execution.....

2013 is the year when we'll see if he's really on the right track (SD I mean).  Until then we have football and hockey to keep us happy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Boys,

Did Father Monan:

1. Generate negative publicity for the school?

2. Cause his word to be doubted?

3. Acquire a reputation as a severance maven?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

Boys, Did Father Monan:        1. Generate negative publicity for the school?        2. Cause his word to be doubted?        3. Acquire a reputation as a severance maven?
    Posted by Longputter

Fr. Monan certainly generated "negative publicity" for BC. How about the fact that he held a memorial mass for Shannon Lowney? Catholics who help procure abortions are by defnition ex-communicated. Yet he held a mass for her.
    How about his toleration of discrimination against men by Mary Daly? Did that not generate negative publicity?

In general in the Catholic press there has been lots of negative publicity about the direction of Boston College and its relationship to Catholicism under the leadership of Fr. Monan. Here is one example:

The second is a 40-year period of massive moral dissent from Catholic moral teaching, especially in regard to sexual and "gender" questions, in the principal Catholic institutions of learning in Boston, including conspicuously Boston College and the (Jesuit) Weston School of Theology.--  Michael Novak, NRO December 13th, 2002

The idea that Fr. Monan did not produce "negative publicity" for Boston College could only come from someone who privileges the secular press over the Catholic press.

For a specific example, please see the Fellowship of Catholic scholars journal Volume 22, Number 2 Spring 1999. Not one but two very critical articles on Fr. Monan.

When Fr. Monan publicly reprimanded a member of the faculty (Michael Males) that did not generate negative publicity for BC? Yes, it did.

You still haven't told us who bears the responsibity of the basketball scandal or the football scandal. Clearly, you are trying to put the blame for both on Fr. Leahy. Just continues to show your utter dishonesty.

Anything to tar Fr. Leahy, true or not true.

I hope you tell your confessor how you lie about and smear a great sevant of the Church as Fr. Leahy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernfriedeagle. Show southernfriedeagle's posts

wow, so many jeaulous BC haters on here...the only fact that matters for BC is that it has grown into a National powerhouse as a university which attracts top students from all over the country.  For a medium size school, BC more than holds its own across many sports, and for the mostpart, they do it with real student athletes.

Anything else mentioned by idiots who are clueless when it comes to things such as the firing of Al Skinner (other schools haven't exactly knocked down his door for his services), doesn't need to be discussed any further.

ND is in one of the worst cities (areas) of the country.  I almost killed my parents for forcing me to visit there; and BU is, well, it's BU...NUFF said !!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from eaglebeagle1. Show eaglebeagle1's posts

LP, leave it to you to "answer" questions with questions.  You still have not addressed the questions that Potter and I put to you about events that happened under Fr. Monan's administration.  It tells me that once again you know that your argument has been proven invalid, so you throw smoke for cover.  But I'll answer your questions anyway.  1) YES, 2) Probably (regarding the basketball recruits who were ultimately rejected, a situation which negatively impacted recruiting for a long time.  I consider both Monan and Leahy at fault for this), 3) The only person who thinks Leahy has a reputation as a severance man is you, and despite all the "arguments" you've put forward no one is buying them.  Try to refute with facts if you can.  The old saw about the rest of us having blind devotion is stale and an obvious dodge.

Gatzie, with all respect, I'd like to see our comments confined to sports, (after all, this is a sports blog) and not get into issues of faith in this particular forum. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Gatzie,

Were you high when you wrote your post?

By quoting a piece written in 2002 (even assuming, arguendo, that it has any merit), you are indicting a 40 year history of alma mater, beginning with Fr. Mike Walsh (President in the early to mid 60's) , down to guess who:  that's right, your hero, Dear Leader, "great sevant of the Church" as you style him.

Your gaffes, spelling errors, and moral superiority (condemning others in various ways  - e.g. liar, bad Catholic, homosexual) are well past whatever, if any, shelf life they ever had.

Grow up, boy.

To the others who posted: 

If you find solace in now faulting the man who saved Boston College from closing in the late 1960s, the man who was  HUMBLE, serving in high station, who never felt himself above coming to the dorms to say Mass, and a man who has held his tongue as his successor has lowered the rep of our once-fine school, then have at it, boys.

Finally, while I am not privy to his plans, it would not surprise me at all if Coach Skinner saw fit to kick back and have Flippo and Dear Leader squirm as they pay him the full $3.3 million that their latest coaching beheading has incurred for the school.

Be careful not to prematurely write his professional obit. Steve Lavin was out of coaching for about 7 years after being fired at UCLA, was he not?

How's he doing now that he's back in the game, boys?  (Think he would not lather at the prospect of playing The Institute, to fatten up his record?)

Peace

Think before ye post, lads.

PS;

Hurry down to Conte to get your ducats for the Newton Invitational Tournament!!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Southern has it right.  How many schools can claim to compete in the # of sports BC does, including the major sports, while graduating north of 90% of their student athletes.  If BC truly had a bad rep they wouldn't have a top 10 endowment fund and over 50,000 kids applying for 2000 spaces each year.  I don't agree with all that BC does by a long shot.  However, in reality all I ask for are sports team that have a chance to compete while running a relatively clean program.  In today's world, those are hard things to do. 

LP, for whatever reason that in reality none of us care about, has an ax to grind with BC.  He rants and raves, stretching points to supports his and ignoring anyone who comes back to prove him wrong.  You know what I say, s*rew him.  If he chooses BC to use his life to campaign against, who cares.  It's not like anyone listens to him.  He makes no sense and 99.9% of the people think he's a lunatic.  The only people on here who seems to be on his side are the moron high school kids. 

I admit that I have not done a good job of letting the stupid cr*p he says go and I have reduced myself to calling him names.  I from now on am going to do my best to ignore him.  Its really the only way to deal with a tard such as him. 

I am going to use my time to enjoy how good BC hockey is, how bright a immediate future out football team has and wait and see how our new hoops coach does.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from eaglebeagle1. Show eaglebeagle1's posts

[QUOTEbout,  I am going to use my time to enjoy how good BC hockey is, how bright a immediate future out football team has and wait and see how our new hoops coach does.....
    Momort, I understand where you are coming from and hope your new approach provides what you're looking for .  I am bored to death with the posts from the haters who sound like a bunch of 9 year olds engaging in name calling and "dissing", and with LP and his paranoid/delusional thinking and inflated ego.  
    I think I'll go back to my former approach of hitting the "ignore" tab on these folks. GO EAGLES! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

Momort, Gatzie, EagleBeagle,

What troubles me the most is the inconsistency in the responses from our fellow alumni LP.  He is upset about Gatzie using a quote from 2002.  He cites the "sports scandals" that occured a long time ago and on someone elses watch.

A reasonable person reading our posts will note that we acknowledge that things are not perfect at BC.  They are not perfect anywhere, these are human institutions.  We think the move to the ACC is a good one for the long term viability of BC while LP continues to live in the past.

He rails against some of us as being non-Catholic in our responses as if he is the arbiter of what that actually means.  While at the same time he is the first to cast stones at Fr. Leahy and GDF.  As such, I would say, "First remove the beam from your own eye, and then you will see clearly enough to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Back to the topic at hand.  Donahue has done a good job this year.  Next year will be difficult but an opportunity to shape the program in his image.  Further, BC's other sports continue to perform well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from eaglebeagle1. Show eaglebeagle1's posts

Eagle, I think the key words in your post are "reasonable people", which certainly is not a description of LP.  Whether he deliberately plays the provocateur or is just plain crazy, I don't know. But he certainly has been consistent in his delusional characterizations of Fr Leahy and GDF as well as in his distortions of what the rest of us say.  Enough of him.  In general, I like what BC is trying to do with it's revenue-producing sports programs, and in particular maintaining academic standards.  For football, the stated aim of being a consistent top 20 or top 25 team is sound, and there may be some years where they can do substantially better.  The hockey program has established itself as perhaps the preeminent one in the country and we've seen the b'ball team go far in the NCAA's, although not recently.  I also am optimistic about Coach D and realistic in my expectations about what he'll be able to do in the next couple of years.  He'll need time to recruit his own players and show whether he has what it takes. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying all of it.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LongPotter. Show LongPotter's posts

In Response to Re: Reflections on the Maryland game : Donohue has done a good job? Well BC troll when the team loses respect for your coach, you can't recruit, no five or four star studs on the horizon, losing great HS talent to Duke in your own back yard, when BC's 5 year plan is to reach the bubble at the NIT, you might say Donohue is accustomed to losing as his great American sin!
    Posted by whr

Well BC troll when the team loses respect for your coach, you can't recruit, no five or four star studs on the horizon, losing great HS talent to Duke in your own back yard, when BC's 5 year plan is to reach the bubble at the NIT, you might say Donohue is accustomed to losing as his great American sin!

You just wrote that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

whr,

It appears that BCs record will be better this year than last.  The coach lost a number of players due to the coaching change.  Yet, according to most bracketologists they are on the bubble for the NCAAs.  Though I suspect they will go to the NIT.  So yes, I would say he has done a good job.

I did not say he has done an excellent job.  The team lost some games they should not have, i.e. Yale and URI.  I think the jury is out on that.

So, what is your point?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Boys, it seems that old eaglebeagle1 has nailed it when he wrote:

"I also am optimistic about Coach D and realistic in my expectations about what he'll be able to do in the next couple of years.  He'll need time to recruit his own players and show whether he has what it takes."

NOW you've got it!

It only took Stevie Wonder seven years to post a winning season record at Cornell.  Why should we expect any better?  Don't you trust The Gang of Two to know what they're doing in hiring this wizard to replace a former National Coach of the Year who won more games than any other men's hoops coach in school history - and the only black men's coach ever at The Heights, by the way?

So, relax and prepare to enjoy the next five barren years @ whatever high school gym we move the hoops games to from an oversized (for our product) Conte .

On the positive side, the buzz on this campus is fervid since the three- year plan has been announced. From the Plex, to the Faculty Lounge, to The Heights Dining Room, to the mods, fans are eager to scarf up seats for those contests. Particularly hot tickets are the Berea, Julliard and St. Olaf games.

Oh, Happy Day!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

All these folks who think BC is going to be terrible next year have no idea what they are talking about. BC is actually going to be better next year.

They have six good to very good recruits (last one signed today) plus Humprhey the transfer from Oregon. Add in the returning Moton, Elmore and Rubin to Reggie Jackson...and BC will be fine.

Sections
Shortcuts