Shinskie or Marsco??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssn710eagle. Show ssn710eagle's posts

Shinskie or Marsco??

It's obvious that Marscovetra has a higher ceiling than uncle Dave, but it looks like Spaz really wants to get through this season with Shinskie.  If Marsco ends up needing to take over because of a Shinskie collapse, BC could end up going 4 years in a row with a first time starter at QB...Crane, Shinskie, Marsco, and Rettig (next year assuming that he's as talented as he's been marketed).  Is that what's driving this?  Our only top ten ranking in recent memory came in a season where we had a qb with multiple years of experience, but I think Spaz wants to foster continuity with Shinskie a little too much.  With those early hurdles in VT and ND coming up, I think we should have cut our losses, played Marsco and hope the two games are enough experience to allow him to compete once the real games start coming.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreenNameGoesHere. Show ScreenNameGoesHere's posts

Re: Shinskie or Marsco??

Marsco should be the starter.
    I didn't see much (if any) improvement from Shinskie all of last year, and so far it looks like more of the same this year. He still looks like a raw recruit, making dumb mistakes, bad decisions. Marsco has way more potential than Shins

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EdwardKennedy. Show EdwardKennedy's posts

SOLUTION:  PLAY SHINSKIE FIRST HALF AND MARCOVETA SECOND HALF

If Spaz wants to shine the bright lights on what to do he should put Marcoveta in the entire second half Saturday.  Then it will become very clear who is best.

Spaz needs to put this age / maturity tag on Shinskie aside and let teh chips fall where they might.  Remember, Flutie was the fifth string quarterback, before four injuries forced him into the game at Penn State.  The following week he was not due to play, but again injuries forced the coaches hand.  The rest is history.

I encourage coach Spaz to let Marscoveta test the waters for half a game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from welker1. Show welker1's posts

Marsco. better on his feet

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CJT65. Show CJT65's posts

Rettig will get the ball next year.  This year will either be a smashing success with Shinskie or we'll see some failure and the year will be lost by midseason and we'll finally see Marsco in there starting.  

I'm more concerned with this defense.  They looked horrendous last week IMO.  They got bailed out by a fluky pick6 by a terrible cornerback (Gause) and I think two fumbles.  No pressure on the QB (granted there was no blitzing) + Spaz cushion made for a boring game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SJS1214. Show SJS1214's posts

Dear ssn710eagle,

Your post summed it up perfect. Great post!

BC also has offensive line issues too, a weak pass rush and Montel needs to stop fumbling.

The other posts were also super! -- and just sad for my BC!

QB, of course is the main discussion, and will be all year.

1--Marcso never had a chance in the first 2 games with reps. 

M was counting reps in Game 1 as Pam Ward said --- and was pressing when in -----and was hit on follow through his INT in Game 2 ----and must be frustrated since he gets no reps and presses when he is in ---and now is no reps! 

Go freeze frame and slo-mo the 2 TD passes by DS.

/> /> The first one was almost triple coverage where defender turned his back flew by ----and Swigert stopped and the ball was behind him and another BC receiver was coming into the pattern from the other side.

/> /> The other receiver Lee was blanketed and made a unreal circus acrobatic athletic move.

There were other double coverages DS threw into mentioned by Pam Ward. Eeecchhh!!

Shinskie is now the Spaz guy, and the second half vs. the Flash was an improvement of sorts,

/> />> but what was needed versus the first two lesser opponents was a major improvement in arm strength, agility, reading defenses and not telegraphing his first reads.

We have not seen that in the first 2 games.

Whether Marsco was given a fair chance or reps is unknown?

What is known, over the next two weeks DS has to practice at a faster pace if that is possible after 2 years?

Now that Spaz has said Rettig is the heir apparent ---(must make Marsco feel good!) --- and wants to redshirt Rettig--- that must do wonders for an increasingly frustrated Marsco.

BC has 4 tough games in a row and then some of the allegedly ACC middle of the pack teams are getting better.

I would like to have seen Marsco start the second half and told he would be in for all 30 minutes and he would be relaxed and performed.

I hope he eventually gets his chance--I doubt it--- and if BC has to burn the Rettig redshirt... I'll fedex them the match.

BC has to develop a QB for the rest of 2010 and 2011 like Penn State and other programs with freshman QB's!

Dave Shinskie will never, I repeat never be the answer. We have seen him for 2 years and practices and he is not a high level FBS QB.

VT will be in a real nasty mood and me thinks that Michigan Qb Denard Robinson ----now touted for the Heisman-- is a tad faster that Uncle Dave and yesterday was simply the new WOW for College Football and Notre Dame will be happy to see the slow footed Shinskie.

Trouble ahead, trouble behind.

This should be interesting to watch Spaz, Tranq and McGovern.

Thanks Eagles!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssn710eagle. Show ssn710eagle's posts

Good thoughts SJS.  I fully agree with the fact that marsco was pressing and didn't get a fair shake out there...too bad.  BC has trouble recruiting in years where they're deep at a certain position and it leaves you depending on nabbing a good player when his position is about to open up.  I turned out to be the perfect storm with Matty playing for three years and then Jags only recruiting spread guys like tuggle.  We're paying the price for the gap in pro-style QB recruit right now.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://boston.sbnation.com/2010/9/13/1685468/scouting-boston-college-football-opponents-virginia-tech-florida-state-notre-dame

I have trouble believing BC is about to play teams that could dominate them. The ACC is not strong this year and ND isn't blowing anyone off the field as BC isn't either.

Agreed that it looks like Spaziani is going to keep giving Uncle Dave every chance too bad Rettig wasn't a year older. Great observation on Shinskie as he does take way to long to set up. The Eagles get a week off to prepare if the Eagles can get through these 2 games with wins they'll be on their way to the ACC championship game.

PS. You know with the size BC has up front on the Oline you'd think they could blow away their first 2 opponents lots of work to do there is right.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeeH. Show DeeH's posts

Neither one is the answer.  Marscovetra has not gotten the opportunities Shinksie has, but I suspect if he had, he'd do no better.  If he had been lights out in practice he would be the starter right now--how hard can it be to outplay Shinskie?  So now let him start a game (or at least a half) and remove all doubt--should have been done last week.  Now will have to wait for Shinskie to struggle against VT and insert Marsco when chips are down and team is already on its heels.  And more troubling than the QB situation, which everyone knew was going to be an issue, is how poor the running game was against Kent State.  Clearly stellar performances from defense game in and game out are team's only shot to make title game, even with an incredibly weak conference overall this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachhadly. Show coachhadly's posts

DeeH nailed it.  We need to run the ball- period.  We have the #2 rusher in the ACC and supposedly a great offensive line with a couple future Pros.  We should be able to run it down people's throats, relegating whoever the QB is to a "game manager"- aka "you stink.  Just convert some third downs and don't throw picks."  Defenisvely we are great in every area except getting pressure with our front four.  Our secondary is veteran and our linebackers are nasty.  Where's the corner blitz???  We have an intelligent defense that can rotate on blitzes like that.  Spaz needs to explore creative ways to get pressure.  If he does that, we start running successfully, and our QB has his head out of his rectum, we could seriously go to a BCS bowl in this conference.  PS- our special teams look good, kickers great!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lionrock1. Show lionrock1's posts

I watched the KS game here in Philly, only major concern was O line not clearing holes for runners. Uncle Dave was usual adequate if somewhat underperforming self, but clearly leads the team. I wish we had a pure burner WR as that would let Uncle Dave use the cannon his arm is. He throws into coverage cause the WR do not have speed enough to beat. One thing they have is size so that is why he throws into coverage, the Lillputians can't out jump our guys.

My read is Spaz played vanilla defense most of the time saving his blitz packages to be surprises for the next two games which are marquee games irrespective of the records the teams come in with. Obie at NCState is now 3-0 so that game may be for all the ACC marbles as it is quite possible NCS and BC both enter the game undefeated.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBQ. Show JBQ's posts

I have great apprehension over Shinskie facing the "big bad wolf" Frank Beam "me up Scottie".  I write from St. Louis where BC has a qb commit from St. Louis Chaminade, Christian Suntrup.  It does appear that DS will be "thrown to the wolves" and "eaten on ESPN" by VT.    It has been very difficult to evaluate Mars because of limited playing time.  In the second half against East Carolina, VT finally "put on their helmets" and ate the late BC qb, Dom Davis for "lunch".  What will Shinskie's fate be?  It doesn't look good.    It does appear that Rettig is "ansy on the sidelines".  It would appear that he is very good.  However, he has to sit and bide his time for four more years of eligibility just like Matt R. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAS881. Show CHAS881's posts

Peyton Manning wouldn't cure the problem. Bloviate College just a terrible team. Ranked 3rd or 4th in New England.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreweagle09. Show dreweagle09's posts

Shinskie or Marsco?

False dichotomy.

I'd prefer to give Rettig a chance. 

The lack of imagination in the Offense should be alarming. The fact that it took an entire season plus 3 games to bench Shinskie should even more disturbing.

I'm sure he's a great lockerroom guy and a decent person but he's certainly not a QB.

Start Rettig against ND. Use some draws, screens and slants to help him against  an agrresive D since they'll be waiting at the line for Harris.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HopVet. Show HopVet's posts

Whomever starts, ND will not be ready. They did not plan for Stanford on defense change, so their offense will be less than it was vs. Michigan or Purdue. rankings of opponents they lost to is not important. Signage will distract them. Field goal wins it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from flanman729. Show flanman729's posts

Forget Shinskie or Marsco. What about Chase Rettig???

Whynot give a chance to one of BC's most highly touted recruits since who knows when. He passed down USC to come to Boston College. I mean who else would after all the crap that has been going on there. give the kid a chance. Shinske has been out of the game to long and Rettig is fresh and knows whats going on. they need to make a decision fast because the defense can't carry their load like they did last year too.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan54321. Show bostonfan54321's posts

... word from several sources is that Chase Rettig is going to start Saturday night vs. Notre Dame

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

rettig looked good till he hurt his ankle, but with the wide reciever core bc has anybody can look like crap its the worse group of wideouts in div 1 football by far. got to recruit better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from drobinson19. Show drobinson19's posts

I think it shouldnt be any of them it should be Chase Rettig. Chase has shown that he can stretch the field with the long ball, hit wide recievers coming over the middle of the field, but one thing that i noticed is that Chase needs to work on his throws to the outside. As for Shinskie and Marsco, Dave hasn't shown up this year at all and I truely have no clue why we recruited him in the first place. Marsco has shown a little bit of potential but like I said after this season it will deffinatly be Chase Rettig. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

Rettig started getting comfortable in the ND game and looks like he could be the real deal - I just likes the way he handles himself....too bad he got hurt.  Marso and Shinskie are both complete lost causes.  Awful, simply awful!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAS881. Show CHAS881's posts

My sister better than both

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rube023. Show rube023's posts

I think the quarterback should still be Shinskie. You can't just pin all of the offensive downfalls on the quarterback. There is not one exceptionally good reciever on the field with Larmond out. Take a look at the routes the recievers are running I've seen better in a high school jv game. They are not making any moves to get open, they drop balls that hit them right in the hands, I mean come on now of course it's going to make the quarterback look bad with his stats. The best thing about Shinskie being the starting quarterback is that he is willing to make the deep plays while the others throw nothing but short routes to be safe while getting nowhere. Yeah Shinskie makes some mistakes but there's not a lot you can do when there is only one reciever you can throw to on a 2 reciever route. Stick with Shinskie and recruit better recievers!!!

Sincerely,
                                   The 373

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocdrebc. Show ocdrebc's posts

In Response to Re: Shinskie or Marsco??:
    [QUOTE]I think the quarterback should still be Shinskie. You can't just pin all of the offensive downfalls on the quarterback. There is not one exceptionally good reciever on the field with Larmond out. Take a look at the routes the recievers are running I've seen better in a high school jv game. They are not making any moves to get open, they drop balls that hit them right in the hands, I mean come on now of course it's going to make the quarterback look bad with his stats. The best thing about Shinskie being the starting quarterback is that he is willing to make the deep plays while the others throw nothing but short routes to be safe while getting nowhere. Yeah Shinskie makes some mistakes but there's not a lot you can do when there is only one reciever you can throw to on a 2 reciever route. Stick with Shinskie and recruit better recievers!!!                         Sincerely,                                The 373
    Posted by rube023[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocdrebc. Show ocdrebc's posts

Does it make sense to "be willing to make the deep plays" if you think the WR's can't handle them? Anyway your point about "not making any moves to get open" is a good one. Also would like to see some fake moves on the part of the WR's, kind of like what NC State and Notre Dame did to BC! Only trouble is the QB has to know what they're doing. The QB has to throw the ball to where he knows the receiver will be not where he is at the time he throws the ball. And finally why do they keep sending Harris up the middle -- a remnant from the TOB days, no doubt. And how about using the FB after faking to the HB? I'm no football genius, but come on....!

Sections
Shortcuts