Should uconn eliminate its athletic program?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Re: Should uconn eliminate its athletic program?

I agree on all fronts.  As much as anything, I miss BE hoops in a big way.  I've said as much before but I miss playing Uconn, Cuse, Gtown, etc.  It will nice adding some of them.  I also hold no ill will towards Uconn.  What BC to Uconn did was petty, I agree.  But does that shock you?  We have to keep remembering that college sports is corrupt as anything out there and none of these guys and schools care about anything but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle78. Show Eagle78's posts

In Response to Re: Should uconn eliminate its athletic program?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should uconn eliminate its athletic program? : I agree and disagree.  I disagree because Pitt was in on the lawsuit also against BC yet BC didn't have a problem with them joining the ACC.  I also don't think Uconn would have voted against BC if roles were reversed.  I think Calhoun knows what a regional rivalry can do for a team as you have to admit, lacking a regional rival right now in the ACC for BC helps give the fans little care to watch the games.   I know the lawsuit was spearheaded by Blumenthal from CT but GDF hating Uconn but ok with pitt is not consistent thinking.  I also think calhoun gets the revenue piece of Uconn/BC also.  How boring was it to watch BC play GTech this year?  Barely any fans to watch the games and no passion because (players, fans, maybe even some of the coaches) were just going through the motions.  The closest geographical team in the ACC right now is Maryland (9 hour drive?) and BC/Maryland won't bring in the revenue like Uconn/BC would have regardless whose program was down at the time.   I remember when BC played Uconn in football and Alumni stadium was packed and everyone was excited.  I see that sometimes if BC is playing well and FSU/Miami/Vtech come into town.    Interesting article in the Boston Metro today about the decline of BC sports.  2 full pages on it and all of it is from BC alumni hating the direction GDF is taking BC. 
    Posted by Donnnn[/QUOTE]

I did read that article.  Pretty hard hitting, although I hate that fact that so much of it, IMO, seemed so thinly sourced.  I certainly understand why people don't like to go on the record, but it certainly dilutes, to some extent, the impact of what was being said.

All of that being said, nothing remains the same.  BC has 3 major sports that its alums care about the most, in order:  FB, Hockey, Men's BB.  Hockey, of course, remains arguably the top college program in the country so that's not an issue.  Most of us feel good about the Men's BB coach and feel he has the right vision for BC.  However, he has to produce and if we see another year like this one, then he will feel the pressure.  This brings me to FB, which generates most of the passion from BC alums/fans.  I think its pretty obvious that the choruses of dissent are growing.  Next season will be critical.  The BC FB team SHOULD be significantly improved next season as all of those True & RS Freshmen and Sophomores will now be veterans.  Many of us also feel they have significantly improved the coaching staff this off season.  If they stay healthy and continue the improvement which was evident by the end of this past season, they should be all right.  If not, then there will be changes, at least at the HC level.  How far that goes up and down the food chain is anyone's guess at this point. The important thing to stress is that the status quo won't be acceptable to the alumni if next season is a repeat of this one, especially if it inevitably translates to a  decline in $$ donations to the Athletic Department

BTW, I think you will see the same thing with Uconn FB.  If they have another season like this one, especially with the diminished competition next year in the BE (WVU leaving and the replacements not coming for at least another year), you will see the same pressures building in their fanbase.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

The Metro article makes a number of valid points, but it's all info and opinion we've heard before and discussed among interested parties and alumni groups. 

What is a valid concern is: what's happened to GDF's leadership style since his first initial run of success at BC? One can't be sure, but it seems as if he's driven to eliminate anyone who does not appear 100% behind the increased committment level needed due to the ACC move.  The non-rev sports need to work much harder to compete, that change may come harder for some than others, and GDF may feel it's easier to start over than to change behavior and norms among existing staff.  Though in some cases, the staff did need to move on anyway.  Either way, he's making him some enemies...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should uconn eliminate its athletic program? : I did read that article.  Pretty hard hitting, although I hate that fact that so much of it, IMO, seemed so thinly sourced.  I certainly understand why people don't like to go on the record, but it certainly dilutes, to some extent, the impact of what was being said. All of that being said, nothing remains the same.  BC has 3 major sports that its alums care about the most, in order:  FB, Hockey, Men's BB.  Hockey, of course, remains arguably the top college program in the country so that's not an issue.  Most of us feel good about the Men's BB coach and feel he has the right vision for BC.  However, he has to produce and if we see another year like this one, then he will feel the pressure.  This brings me to FB, which generates most of the passion from BC alums/fans.  I think its pretty obvious that the choruses of dissent are growing.  Next season will be critical.  The BC FB team SHOULD be significantly improved next season as all of those True & RS Freshmen and Sophomores will now be veterans.  Many of us also feel they have significantly improved the coaching staff this off season.  If they stay healthy and continue the improvement which was evident by the end of this past season, they should be all right.  If not, then there will be changes, at least at the HC level.  How far that goes up and down the food chain is anyone's guess at this point. The important thing to stress is that the status quo won't be acceptable to the alumni if next season is a repeat of this one, especially if it inevitably translates to a  decline in $$ donations to the Athletic Department   BTW, I think you will see the same thing with Uconn FB.  If they have another season like this one, especially with the diminished competition next year in the BE (WVU leaving and the replacements not coming for at least another year), you will see the same pressures building in their fanbase.
    Posted by Eagle78[/QUOTE

Kudos to the METRO

BC deserves everything it get's, as the truth hurts! BC is a joke nationally, in the ACC, and in New England. A truly embarrassing football and basketball season with low visibility coaches that do not possess one iota of talent. How right was the Long putter in foreseeing the events come to fruition  on the demise of the Beheads Coaches Institute, where no one of value wants to participate!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]And this ladies and gentlemen is what you get when you don't have any legitimate comeback. I rest my case. Good day sir.
    Posted by momort[/QUOTE]

Mo very good post - short, sweet and to the point,

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should uconn eliminate its athletic program? : Mo very good post - short, sweet and to the point,
    Posted by LOTHAR43[/QUOTE]

Always attempt to have the last word Moron!

Enjoy your spring, appears the Boston Metro has BC athletics all figured out losers!

Why even Blaudschaun has jumped on the Amaker band wagon.

UConn has picked the right time to peak!

Happy berth day for coach Amaker!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should uconn eliminate its athletic program? : Personally, I think Uconn is even worse shape with the direction of the BE.  I can't imagine the fanbase caring about Uconn playing Navy.  We can all agree both conferences were down the past years but the ACC has more potential than the current BE football teams.   That southern fan base with the southern recruits speed is a difference maker.  Trust me as much as I complain about BC football, it's because I had season tickets for years.  I do not have season tickets anymore as parking is outta hand and too difficult but you could see the speed at all positions usually favors the other ACC team.  I do like what they tried doing with a smash mouth ground it out game to negate the speed (similar to playing half court offense against a more athletic team) and a stellar defense.  However, I think Spaz has to go as his offensive skills are lacking.  He is what he is and that's a solid defensive coordinator but not a great head coach.  As for hoops, I don't share your optimism but I would happily eat crow if they turn it around. 
    Posted by Donnnn[/QUOTE]
    Seems as if you are a willow tree, which way the blows on your devotion to UConn? Where BC is not going anywhere, let it rest and stop resuuecting a dead fish!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should uconn eliminate its athletic program? : Can you really say you are excited about the direction of BE football?  I think in hoops they will be fine but I don't feel that way with football. Trust me I am a diehard uconn fan but watching Navy,Houston, Central Florida, SMU or Memphis in football is excruciating.  yeah I will root for Uconn in all those games but will I watch the football games?  probably not.  I'd rather see them play nationally relevant programs
    Posted by Donnnn[/QUOTE]
    How can one get excited watching BC, North Carolina State, UNC, Duke or WF football... It's the SEC, BigTen, & Pac 12 my freind. All or nothing! C'mon man Texas or Wake Forest/BC, you be the judge, on a Fall Saturday afternoon. The best thing BC has going for it is the Notre Dame game, after that it's pathetic football at it's best. Take a hard look at the attendance this year at the Orange Bowl a once big time bowl has been deluted to the ESPN grave yard.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreenNameGoesHere. Show ScreenNameGoesHere's posts

Thought I should revive this one in honor of Donnnnnnnn from uconn

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 82ndAB. Show 82ndAB's posts

Snow is coming your way give it a break and ramp up the Duke game an inevitable "L" again for the Buffoons in Dixie!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreenNameGoesHere. Show ScreenNameGoesHere's posts

HILARIOUS!

Only a few minutes before somebody replied only to have their post deleted. The haters can dish it out but they can't take it.

Was it you 82?

Or maybe it was the donnnnnnn himself, or maybe the collective known as sailorman / zeeroh / undking / etc etc

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

In response to ScreenNameGoesHere's comment:

HILARIOUS!

Only a few minutes before somebody replied only to have their post deleted. The haters can dish it out but they can't take it.

Was it you 82?

Or maybe it was the donnnnnnn himself, or maybe the collective known as sailorman / zeeroh / undking / etc etc

It was definitely the collective, but collective is too kind, skinhead splinter group is a more accurate description. And don't forget to include WHR, TrojanFever, Googleboy, the ultimate redneck 82 AB, and the philosopher king, postingking. Since they restored the Ignore feature, I ignore them all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Donnnn's comment:

In Response to Re: Should uconn eliminate its athletic program? :

Would appear all your frustrations should be directed at Donahue, Spa zoo, and the rest of BC's failing athletic programs, might throw in Lacrosse as well. Your comments are regarded as a tad juvenile when it comes to acknowledging the fact you’re a frustrated alum whose alma mater's direction has taken a deep dive both academically, and athletically. I will give you continuous feedback from Irish Eyes, and the Chronicle of Higher Education every time you stick your chest out to deflate your brash egomania on all things considered consequential. BC in not an end to a means ... chow cow poke now get back to Mickey D's take out! Posted by UofNDKing

GREAT POST UofNDKing!

Thumbing through some of this so funny. Apparently if you reply back you are part of the problem.

I've always been curious if Multiple Miggs just got dumped by a BC grad ?

So sad...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Chris Elsberry: Quinnipiac beats Yale again, enjoys life at No. 1

When the Bobcats made the move to Division I back in 1999, it was built around making hockey the anchor sport. And based on the 4,074 that stood four to five deep along the concourse, watching the No.1 Bobcats beat Yale 4-1, at the High Point Solutions Arena -- on national TV, no less -- it was a smart decision.

Our fans, our students, our administration, they're ecstatic. They're in that rarefied air, Quinnipiac head coach Rand Pecknold said as his team prepared for its second meeting with Yale. The excitement, it's off the charts. As players and coaches, we're doing a good job of being grounded and realizing that we've got unfinished business.

#1 Hockey Team in New England the Best of the Best. No Old men coaching this Team with Pearl Vision aspirations!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

No Pearl Vision Outlets needed in Hamden CT!

The Bobcats, No. 1 with a bullet in the national rankings, went down the road to New Haven and pounded the Bulldogs on their home ice at Ingalls Rink, the 19th positive decision in what would end up being a 21-game unbeaten streak before last weekend's loss to St. Lawrence. During that streak, Quinnipiac clinched its first ECAC regular season title, finally climbed to the top of the NCAA Top 20 poll, replacing Minnesota as the best team in the land and, most importantly, continued to hold down the No. 1 spot in the Parwise rankings that will determine seeding for the 16-team NCAA tournament.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In Response to Re: Should uconn eliminate its athletic program? :

Would appear all your frustrations should be directed at Donahue, Spa zoo, and the rest of BC's failing athletic programs, might throw in Lacrosse as well. Your comments are regarded as a tad juvenile when it comes to acknowledging the fact you’re a frustrated alum whose alma mater's direction has taken a deep dive both academically, and athletically. I will give you continuous feedback from Irish Eyes, and the Chronicle of Higher Education every time you stick your chest out to deflate your brash egomania on all things considered consequential. BC in not an end to a means ... chow cow poke now get back to Mickey D's take out! Posted by UofNDKing

GREAT POST UofNDKing!

Thumbing through some of this so funny. Apparently if you reply back you are part of the problem.

I've always been curious if Multiple Miggs just got dumped by a BC grad ?

So sad...

BC coeds are not at the 10 scale there dawg... try another line .. think 82airborn's Alabama coeds have the Walmart specials at BC beat hands down. Now go back to your basement apt.! 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sailman2. Show sailman2's posts

yeah they should eliminate a program that has won 3 nat'l championships since 1999.  This is stupid Screenname.

Maybe Uconn should emulate BC and their losing culture?  Is that the point here?  Without Uconn, there would be NO national contender in any sports (real sports, not hockey as barely any D1 teams play that) in New england. 

This is still true

Hockey is about as significant Nationally as Rugby, and Lacrosse get's better coverage. BC won't be in the Frozen Four as there time is up. Mineesota is too strong and what a great season for the Riverhawks of Lowell.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

In Response to Re: Should uconn eliminate its athletic program? : I did read that article.  Pretty hard hitting, although I hate that fact that so much of it, IMO, seemed so thinly sourced.  I certainly understand why people don't like to go on the record, but it certainly dilutes, to some extent, the impact of what was being said. All of that being said, nothing remains the same.  BC has 3 major sports that its alums care about the most, in order:  FB, Hockey, Men's BB.  Hockey, of course, remains arguably the top college program in the country so that's not an issue.  Most of us feel good about the Men's BB coach and feel he has the right vision for BC.  However, he has to produce and if we see another year like this one, then he will feel the pressure.  This brings me to FB, which generates most of the passion from BC alums/fans.  I think its pretty obvious that the choruses of dissent are growing.  Next season will be critical.  The BC FB team SHOULD be significantly improved next season as all of those True & RS Freshmen and Sophomores will now be veterans.  Many of us also feel they have significantly improved the coaching staff this off season.  If they stay healthy and continue the improvement which was evident by the end of this past season, they should be all right.  If not, then there will be changes, at least at the HC level.  How far that goes up and down the food chain is anyone's guess at this point. The important thing to stress is that the status quo won't be acceptable to the alumni if next season is a repeat of this one, especially if it inevitably translates to a  decline in $$ donations to the Athletic Department   BTW, I think you will see the same thing with Uconn FB.  If they have another season like this one, especially with the diminished competition next year in the BE (WVU leaving and the replacements not coming for at least another year), you will see the same pressures building in their fanbase.
    Posted by Eagle78

Personally, I think Uconn is even worse shape with the direction of the BE.  I can't imagine the fanbase caring about Uconn playing Navy.  We can all agree both conferences were down the past years but the ACC has more potential than the current BE football teams.   That southern fan base with the southern recruits speed is a difference maker.  Trust me as much as I complain about BC football, it's because I had season tickets for years.  I do not have season tickets anymore as parking is outta hand and too difficult but you could see the speed at all positions usually favors the other ACC team.  I do like what they tried doing with a smash mouth ground it out game to negate the speed (similar to playing half court offense against a more athletic team) and a stellar defense.  However, I think Spaz has to go as his offensive skills are lacking.  He is what he is and that's a solid defensive coordinator but not a great head coach. 

As for hoops, I don't share your optimism but I would happily eat crow if they turn it around. 

Is it too early to say "i told you so" about donahue and BC sports

Yes, because I think Donahue can coach but it remains to be seen if he can recruit. I know, the 7-footer at Cornell fell into his lap, blah, blah, blah. He did land two very good freshman guards in Rahon and Hanlan this year, but he needs to go after more size.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Hockey is about as significant Nationally as Rugby, and Lacrosse get's better coverage."

CBS College Sports Network doesn't think so as they forked over a good amount of coin to cover College Hockey nationally. All the Midwest Fox Sports networks cover College Hockey Friday and Saturday night. Every once in awhile you see Lacrosse on ESPNU, so the statement above is simply not true.

Donahue will and should be judged next year and the year after when his recruits are juniors and seniors. This year and last year he is working with freshman and sophmores so no one can judge the way he is doing by his overall win/loss record.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"Hockey is about as significant Nationally as Rugby, and Lacrosse get's better coverage."

CBS College Sports Network doesn't think so as they forked over a good amount of coin to cover College Hockey nationally. All the Midwest Fox Sports networks cover College Hockey Friday and Saturday night. Every once in awhile you see Lacrosse on ESPNU, so the statement above is simply not true.

Donahue will and should be judged next year and the year after when his recruits are juniors and seniors. This year and last year he is working with freshman and sophmores so no one can judge the way he doing by his overall win/loss record.

This a young team excuse is getting to be a boring excuse and an inept attempt of BC  failures in ACC basketball. Three consecutive non-invites to the Dance under his stewardship.

Sections
Shortcuts