Temple to the Big East

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

Re: Temple to the Big East

In Response to Temple to the Big East:
    The NYT is reporting (again) that talks are in progress to make this happen as early as next year.  In ALL sports.  That's a huge hit the A10 is taking, if it actually finally happens.  Huge.  
    Posted by SlimPickensIII

Nice try Slim, but try to be a little more original? NYT on breaking Sports coverage from the liberal left? C'mon Man!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

In Response to Re: Temple to the Big East:
    In Response to Temple to the Big East : Nice try Slim, but try to be a little more original? NYT on breaking Sports coverage from the liberal left? C'mon Man!
    Posted by UofNDKing

UofNDKing, that semester at junior college sure didn't make you any smarter. (from "Rudy")                                  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

And what is our distinguished Division I program doing about this? The A-10 conference would take a huge hit with the loss of Temple. Whoever they replace them with, if they replace them, with kill the A-10's conference RPI.

UMass should at least start feeling out Conference USA.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox01. Show redsox01's posts

I think that Conf. USA is already merging with another conference.

The A10 won't suffer too bad. One way they possibly would is wr NCAA tournament revenue. The entire league gets an equal payout based on how many games teams from that division play in the tournament. 

I don't like having three teams you play twice and the rest once.

But A10 hoops is still strong w or wo Temple. Xavier, Dayton, UMass, St. Joes and St. Louis are all teams that could make the tournament. We will usually send two, possibly three, teams to the dance.

What I think the A10 should do is consider expanding its footprint. I know many won't agree but I think from a TV revenue perspective an expansion could be a plus. I'd even welcome going to 16 teams!!

If I were the commish of the A10, I would invite Georgia State (I can hear the laughter already) but from a business perspective it is a HUGE media market. Likewise, I would consider Central Florida (as it has a HUGE student population) and another team to make it 16 teams.

You can see the current conference footprint on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_10_Conference

I understand many will find my idea silly and I can see your argument. Many would rather see the conference drop Fordham and/or St. Bonaventure. I just don't see it happening. Even though those teams are not widely-followed in the NY state market, they are still from NY. Fordham is a great University, even if their hoop team sucks!

As for who else to possibly add?? I would consider Hofstra (another NY team), I know they suck this year but maybe having another NY team would get the league more air time in that local market??? IDK

We don't need another Philly team. In fact, I wish we didn't play LaSalle.

No team in America East or the NEC is worthy of joining the A10. But I think the Colonial League is ripe for the picking. 

I think George Mason, Virginia Commonwealth, and Old Dominion are each potential additions that would help make up for losing Temple.

The only problem for UMass is that if Temple leaves, the MAC can back out of the football deal with UMass. Yike!!!

Then we would be taking a long hard look at Conf. USA for football at least!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

I'd rather see the A-10 contract. We don't need La Salle, St. Bonaventure, or Fordham. They belong in the MAAC. Yet somehow they are the teams UMass has a home-and home with, whilst we play the elite schools once, and mostly on the road. Also Central Florida is already going to the Big East.

If this does go through UMass needs to end the series with Holy Cross and Central Connecticut. They are murdering our strength of schedule. Go back to the "anyone anywhere" philosphy and the tourney bids will come. Umass has been conditioned to accept mediocrity for too long.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Temple is a great addition to the BE, from Philly a perennial power in the A-10 conference, as it's program is loaded with recruits out of greater Philly.

However, who couldn't forget the Don Channey & Calapari days between UMASS & Temple? Great rivalry now gone South after this move.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

I think that Conf. USA is already merging with another conference. The A10 won't suffer too bad. One way they possibly would is wr NCAA tournament revenue. The entire league gets an equal payout based on how many games teams from that division play in the tournament.  I don't like having three teams you play twice and the rest once. But A10 hoops is still strong w or wo Temple. Xavier, Dayton, UMass, St. Joes and St. Louis are all teams that could make the tournament. We will usually send two, possibly three, teams to the dance. What I think the A10 should do is consider expanding its footprint. I know many won't agree but I think from a TV revenue perspective an expansion could be a plus. I'd even welcome going to 16 teams!! If I were the commish of the A10, I would invite Georgia State (I can hear the laughter already) but from a business perspective it is a HUGE media market. Likewise, I would consider Central Florida (as it has a HUGE student population) and another team to make it 16 teams. You can see the current conference footprint on wiki:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_10_Conference I understand many will find my idea silly and I can see your argument. Many would rather see the conference drop Fordham and/or St. Bonaventure. I just don't see it happening. Even though those teams are not widely-followed in the NY state market, they are still from NY. Fordham is a great University, even if their hoop team sucks! As for who else to possibly add?? I would consider Hofstra (another NY team), I know they suck this year but maybe having another NY team would get the league more air time in that local market??? IDK We don't need another Philly team. In fact, I wish we didn't play LaSalle. No team in America East or the NEC is worthy of joining the A10. But I think the Colonial League is ripe for the picking.  I think George Mason, Virginia Commonwealth, and Old Dominion are each potential additions that would help make up for losing Temple. The only problem for UMass is that if Temple leaves, the MAC can back out of the football deal with UMass. Yike!!! Then we would be taking a long hard look at Conf. USA for football at least!
    Posted by redsox01

I'd be anxious to add Towson after it's 1-30 season! BUT their football team went from 1-10 to making the 1-AA playoffs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

I think that Conf. USA is already merging with another conference. The A10 won't suffer too bad. One way they possibly would is wr NCAA tournament revenue. The entire league gets an equal payout based on how many games teams from that division play in the tournament.  I don't like having three teams you play twice and the rest once. But A10 hoops is still strong w or wo Temple. Xavier, Dayton, UMass, St. Joes and St. Louis are all teams that could make the tournament. We will usually send two, possibly three, teams to the dance. What I think the A10 should do is consider expanding its footprint. I know many won't agree but I think from a TV revenue perspective an expansion could be a plus. I'd even welcome going to 16 teams!! If I were the commish of the A10, I would invite Georgia State (I can hear the laughter already) but from a business perspective it is a HUGE media market. Likewise, I would consider Central Florida (as it has a HUGE student population) and another team to make it 16 teams. You can see the current conference footprint on wiki:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_10_Conference I understand many will find my idea silly and I can see your argument. Many would rather see the conference drop Fordham and/or St. Bonaventure. I just don't see it happening. Even though those teams are not widely-followed in the NY state market, they are still from NY. Fordham is a great University, even if their hoop team sucks! As for who else to possibly add?? I would consider Hofstra (another NY team), I know they suck this year but maybe having another NY team would get the league more air time in that local market??? IDK We don't need another Philly team. In fact, I wish we didn't play LaSalle. No team in America East or the NEC is worthy of joining the A10. But I think the Colonial League is ripe for the picking.  I think George Mason, Virginia Commonwealth, and Old Dominion are each potential additions that would help make up for losing Temple. The only problem for UMass is that if Temple leaves, the MAC can back out of the football deal with UMass. Yike!!! Then we would be taking a long hard look at Conf. USA for football at least!
    Posted by redsox01

All things considered, the MAC backing out might not be a bad thing - I don't feel any swell of support for UMasss' move to D1 ....

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

Times are changing. The A-10 use to include Rutgers, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Pitt, and Penn State. They moved onto bigger and better conferences. Now UMass and URI are the only public schools left in a predominantly mid-sized Catholic conference, and I wouldn't call URI a major athletic power.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

Love to see the Irish in Boston on St. Paddy's Day!  Yes it's going to happen in BC own back yard. imagine that the Irish stiffing BC in it's own back yard!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreenNameGoesHere. Show ScreenNameGoesHere's posts

Love to see the Irish in Boston on St. Paddy's Day!  Yes it's going to happen in BC own back yard. imagine that the Irish stiffing BC in it's own back yard!
    Posted by UofNDKing

Not going to happen genius
    IF (and that's a big if) the fighting frauds make it to the East regional in Boston, the games are AFTER St Patricks day

But why would anyone expect you to pay attention to any facts

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

Update: Butler's in the A10/14, but Charlotte might be moving back to Conference USA since the merger is off. C-USA might need a 10th member, so it's worth it to at least feel it out.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

about all Spazoo has is scrubs, as they have absolutely no *****/**** recruits to carry them to an obscure Bowl at 6-6! 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

In Response to Re: Temple to the Big East : What?  UMass  in the CUSA?  Worst. Idea. Ever.   Get a load of the crap teams that now make up that conference.  Look at all the travel,  Florida, Louisiana,  Texas.  Are you kidding?  And if you're of the mindset that it's all about the football, even that's a massive fail.  Where's the beef?  Charlotte doesn't even have a football team right now, they're starting from scratch.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII

I was throwing it out as an opition. The MAC can reassess UMass's affiliation after 2 seasons. CUSA then is a better choice than going to the MAC full-time or maintaing an 1-A independent program.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Spazoo couldn't coach in the CUSA!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

Butler and VCU are headed to the A10.  I'll miss Temple, but this is a very good consolation prize.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII

Slim - it just ain't the same sans Cal and Chaney. Finally, someone is heading for the A-10 ... a little more respect, please!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Curt Schilling & the master RI Rip Off! 
    38 Studios

Sections
Shortcuts