The "Exciting" new era of Eagle basketball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

The "Exciting" new era of Eagle basketball

Well, it has begun, and I guess I was wrong.

Wrong about what?  Well, for starters, I was wrong about the level of excitement the coaching change would engender.

After all, yesterday's home opener against Philadelphia University brought out a forum-rocking crowd of 2,350.  

I was wrong, too, I guess, about the surge for season tickets that would emerge.

But then, again, what to make of the fact that Conte is STILL not nearly sold out? (To say nothing about the near non-existent "demand" for road game tickets)

And I must have been wrong about the level of recruits that Stevie Wonder would bring here.

But what of the curious fact that it was Al's players who led the way yesterday??

Not to worry, to be sure we will be at least an Elite Eight this year, n'est pas?

Hmmmmmm

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CJT65. Show CJT65's posts

Re: The "Exciting" new era of Eagle basketball

What part of "free game" don't you understand?  There were no tickets sold to this game, why are you talking about "tickets"?  Why are you deducing about ticket sales from a free exhibition? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

So if he wins with "Al's guys" it is because of Al not him, but if he loses with "Al's guys" its his fault?  That seems logical and fair.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

In Response to Re: The "Exciting" new era of Eagle basketball:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "Exciting" new era of Eagle basketball :    Hey, Sluggo, Do you think any of the programs with which you claim BCI (nee BC) is on a par would have had so few people attend an opening scrimmage?  That would never happen at Duke, UNC, MD, Wake, G'town or ND.   Hard to swallow the lack of fan support for Stevie Wonder, isn't it? You're misreading my point re tickets.  As I suspect you know, I was not talking about tickets to the Phila  U scrimmage;  I was talking about the embarrassing reality that even now, with all the alleged fan zeal you claim for the program, many season tickets are available - and likely will go wanting. No doubt, however, that this does not affect you, since you likely have your season PSLs paid and ducats for road games already ordered. Peace on down that Dear Leader trail!  
    Posted by Longputter[/QUOTE]

LP at it again.

No one is claiming BC is on par with Duke, MD, UNC and Georgetown. You are lying when you say people are claiming that BC is on par with these schools. No one has said that. These schools have all won national championships. BC has not. No one is even claiming that BC is on par with ND and Wake. These schools have all been to the Final Four. Something that BC has never done,  even under your sainted Jim O'Briend and Al Skinner  So if you are claiming that people are saying that BC is on par with these schools for basketball, you are lying. Please provide proof for this claim. If  you are unable to do so, we must assume you are lying (again).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

[QUOTE]Hey, Gatzie, Two things, my son: 1. I was responding to momort, no you. 2. Have some milk & cookies and go to bed now like a good boy.
    Posted by Longputter[/QUOTE]

Has any of you named ONE school where ONE President has fired all but one basketball or football coach in 14 years?
    posted by Longputter at 10/16/2010 4:14 PM EDT

Robert Bruininks
    President of University of Minnesota
    since 2002

Harvey S. Perlman,
    University of Nebraska-Lincoln
    Since 2001

Michael F. Adams
    Universit of Georgia
    President since 1997

Edward Malloy
    Notre Dame
    President from 1987 to 2005

What school has dismissed EVERY football or basketball coach except one (plus the incumbents) in 14 years? Still awaiting that answer.
    posted by Longputter at 10/11/2010 3:34 PM EDT

Answer:

University of Washington
    University of Minnesota
    University of Georgia
    Rutgers
    West Point
    University of Alabama
    Baylor University
    Auburn University
    Univeristy of Notre Dame
    UCLA

You claim that Boston College under Fr. Leahy is the "Behead Coaches Institute". Please provide an example of one school under one President where fewer coaches were fired in 14 years. If you are unable to do so, we must conclude that you are a liar and that everything you say about Boston College should be discounted.

Everytime you post, I am just going to post this as my response.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Ahh poor Longracist couldn't get anyone to respond to his "The Wake Forest game" thread so the poor uncle whom no one will talk too at Thanksgiving had to start another baseless, lying, fact less thread.

PS. How's the petition for the Patriot league coming along ? Wink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Momort, Also seems factually inevitable. Duh!

Wait wait wait a minute.  Easy with the factually small guy.  I was saying it's unfair of you to say if SD wins it is despite him as he is using Al's guys and if he loses its his fault.  That is unfair.  You are already judging him to be a failure before his first game. 

Ah, but once I again I find myself pondering why I continue to banter with someone who would want Tyra Banks as AD of BC, you know Trya one of the single dumbest people on the face of the earth....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fukowiman. Show Fukowiman's posts

Not all the nuts are locked up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rrnyc. Show rrnyc's posts

looking forward to seeing UMASS v BC Dec 4th at the Garden for the Tip Off Classic - Exciting new Era indeed!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

So you read an article on SD of which the basis was he wants more team unity and you spin that into something negative to serve your own view.  Well done, you must be in close with our worthless politicians who spend entire careers doing this instead of actually doing any good.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kenneyc. Show kenneyc's posts

It is one thing to "entertain" the input of the ilk of "Longputter", BUT why can't something be done about the repeating of his diatribe on Coaches etc.? It is too, too boring; as are most of his rants...I'll bet he was last chosen for the sandlot baseball games and first cut from the Pop Warner league--

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Oh def kenney.  he wasn't the last chosen, he was flat leftout all together.  its the only way to explain his bitterness.  sad life he lives.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

His sad life is spent watching Cable news (CNN or Fox, doesn't matter).  He just adds another name onto his list when it comes across the channel.  That is after he finishes his bag of cheetos and bottle of Jolt! cola

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

11/08/09

Exhibition against St. Michael's (Winooski, VT)  attendance 1,809

So at least 500 more people were excited by this exhibition than by the exhibition under the prior coach

Link provided below

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/bc/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/bcsmcbox.pdf

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

[QUOTE]So you read an article on SD of which the basis was he wants more team unity and you spin that into something negative to serve your own view.  Well done, you must be in close with our worthless politicians who spend entire careers doing this instead of actually doing any good.
    Posted by momort[/QUOTE]

Momort,

Whatever do you mean "spin that into something negative"?

My post was full of admiration for the new coach's stress on those important dress areas, as well as his rejection of any controls on three-point shooting.

Indeed, his new emphasis on those factors has now  propelled alma mater to a nationally-saluted trouncing of St. Francis of Brooklyn on Friday night.

The elevator of BCI (nee BC) success is hurtling upward at a galvanizing pace.

We sure have turned the corner, have we not?

Rejoice!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAS881. Show CHAS881's posts

BC opens against powerhouse.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Addendum:

It's also now certain that Stevie Wonder has insightfully determined that last year's disappointing season was the fault of all those headbands, names on jerseys and different type sneakers.

And hats off to his no-limit on threes strategy. Look how THAT worked out for the Eagles last night.

Thank our stars that we got this lad to lead us out of the hoops darkness.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

No, the real problem was a coach who lost interest in all aspects of performing his duties including recruiting (remember those walk-ons).  SD is putting the house that Al Skinner (10-29 in conference play over the last three years) left in disarray.  This also includes putting in a style of play that will interest people in attending games to cheer, not to catch up their sleep.

For all this Skinner , a man of great integrity, gets to realize $3M; he should give some back to recognize his failings in recent years

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAS881. Show CHAS881's posts

Now that Bumbling College and the All Cupcake Conference have tanked it in Football the talk goes to B/Ball and the Duke/NC Conference.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

I am not serene but passionate; my question is why do you defend a coach whose last three years' record was 5 games over .500?  We certainly appreciate his past efforts, but like milk in a dairy case his shelf life had expired.  How else do you explain a 19-29 conference record over the past three years?

Please ask yourself why you cannot marshall more recent facts to defend his record?  He is the winningest coach but that was accumulated over a 13 year tenure.  He has not delivered in the last three years in all aspects of the program.  45 losses of his 165 losses have been in those three years; he is a 500 conference record coach.  Can we do better? I believe SD's hiring is a step in that direction

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

LP, your sarcasm comes across as bitter and childish.  Not that you care what others think of you, by now you must be used to the vast vast majority of those you come across just not liking you....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

[QUOTE]LP, your sarcasm comes across as bitter and childish.  Not that you care what others think of you, by now you must be used to the vast vast majority of those you come across just not liking you....
    Posted by momort[/QUOTE]
     To my distinguished fellow posters provpats and momort:

provpats,

By your logic, UNC fans would be demanding the dismissal of Roy Williams, who just posted one of the worst season records in Tar Heel history, despite a glittering overall record.  Would you support his removal?

Would you also have fired Joe Paterno at Penn State during his few lean years?

I happen to be of the mind that no coach escapes periodic barren years, either one or a skein of them. 

Though I don't favor the term, a coach's "body of work" must be examined.
    Al Skinner took BCI (nee BC) farther than any predecessor - and, I respectfully submit, farther than Steve Wonder will do before he, too, is inevitably beheaded by The Gang of Two.

You and your ilk appear to subscribe to the "What have you done for me lately?" school of operation.

I once thought alma mater was better than that.

My Man momort,

Broad judgements you make, lad, albeit with no foundation.

My "sarcasm"???

I'm merely subscribing to your party line, am I not?

As to being liked, I have no problem in that regard, my friend. Not to worry in that department, lad.

If you and the few other members of the idolatry lobby here do not agree with my posts, so be it.

The searching question which you ignore is this: isn't a university a place where ALL views should be considered?

Where people should be free to advance points of view without insult or personal attack?

And should not graduates of a university be willing to tolerate opposing points of view without stooping to personal attacks of those with whom they disagree?

Or was your experience at BCI (nee BC) different from that?

Hmmmmmm

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

LP,

Here is the problem, you said in your most recent post:

The searching question which you ignore is this: isn't a university a place where ALL views should be considered?

Where people should be free to advance points of view without insult or personal attack?

So, since I have seen your posts over time all you have done is direct insult and personal attack at Fr. Leahy, Gene D. and the university in general.  So you would like everyone to play by one set of rules while you play by another.

Just check your ridiculous signature, as momort says, it is bitter and childish.

Further, when confronted with facts you choose to ignore them and launch an ad hominem argument toward the person providing those facts.  You ask what school has dismissed so many coaches and people have responded with facts, you have not addressed thos facts.  You comment about the "abysmal" alumni giving rate yet fail to acknowledge that it is significantly better then a number of other institutions and well above the average, you have not addressed those facts.  You state that financial aid at the school should be used to provide academic scholarships yet fail to see that most other highly competitive schools do not provide such scholarships, you have not addressed those facts.

You want debate then debate on the facts.  Otherwise you are just an internet troll who just posts to create feedback but not real discussion or debate.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

to compare skinner with either Paterno or Williams is laughable.  Both of there men have accomplished far more than Skinner ever has or will. As far as Williams go everyone knew RW had a young team and would be challenged.  As a multi-time national champ winner he has far more cred than Skinner ever will.

As far as Paterno goes, he is a legend and deserves the opportunity to decide when hie is done, although I feel he should have retired long ago.  Skinner is neither of these.  He is a journeyman who developed a sense of ennui when he hit the double nickel

The "body of work" was declining and heading further down.  He may be the winningest coach but at best a .500 level conference coach with no interest in doing his job after his assts left (could they also see the ship sinking and decided to save their own futures before Al destroyed it for them?)

I did not yell for Jerry York's scalp after they had a down year after the national champ season and am not yelling for Spaz's scalp either. So there goes that part of the theory.  Myself and others like me are willing to give the benefit of the doubt when a sincere effort is given.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

LP  when it comes to talking to you are right; I am never wrong.  When one marshals facts and supports it with unassailable logic, one cannot be wrong.  Unlike yourself who uses innuendo and outright distortions, it is easy.

There is NO comparison between the two aforementioned accomplished and distinguished coaches and a man with a .500 conference record, pure and simple.  Even you should be able to see that. 

And I have spent enough time on campus over the past years to understand what is going on.  How about getting those figures on the abnormally high attrition for deans and admins?  Should be pretty easy considering how familiar you must be with it.  Or just more prevarications on your part, covered up with the McCartyite "if you knew what I know"

Sections
Shortcuts