The "Exciting" new era of Eagle basketball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Re: The "Exciting" new era of Eagle basketball

LP, come on man.  You claim to be high and mighty and just want to voice your opinions.  However what you won't do is actually answer to anyone who comes to you with valid points.

So here is another one to ignore.  What do Roy Williams and Joe Paterno have over big boy Al?  NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!!  Simple as that dude.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

LP,

Let's try this point by point since you seem to ignore facts and statements.

1. Inability to get more than 22% of your alums to donate is pathetic. Just why do you think that 77% plus Eagles have no interest in contributing?

According to USNews Online Premium Edition the Boston College Alumni Giving rate is 26%.  This ranks BC 29th among National Universities.  This is dramatically better than a number of other fine schools, i.e. BU, 8% and ranked 178,  NYU, 9% and ranked 158, Syracuse 16% and ranked 71.

Basically, you are saying that almost all schools alumni giving rate is pathetic.

2. Ad hominems?  Yet you call me an "internet troll"

While perhaps viewed as an ad hominem attack it is actually a descriptive term for what you do by not responding to the actual facts and arguments in the thread.  Here let me help you with the definition:

Internet Troll:

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

3. Ad hominems?  I cite what our Dear Leader and his minion AD have DONE/said. That's called facts, my son. and

You cite that Fr Leahy has fired more coaches than many other schools.  People have provided numerous responses showing that your statement is not factual but just an intent to attack Fr. Leahy and the school.  Your signature line and the names of potential ADs and Presidents is just such an attack.  Further, the facts you claim to cite are wrong.  Or in internet terminology . . . citation needed.

4. Who cares what other schools do? If other schools encouraged drug use, should we do so?  The point is that BC can easily afford to give financial aid to middle class kids (or kids from multi-sibling families) but just will not do so.
    That, however, does not daunt them from asking for money from alums in that situation. And then they wonder why those grads don't contribute!

You do.  You have cited how ND has a better alumni giving rate that BC as justification that BC's is "pathetic" and "abysmal".  Note that their giving rate is 44% and ranks them as number 3.  You have said how much better it would be if BC would be more like the schools in the Patriot league.

You should note that BC does provide financial aid to "middle class" kids.  Financial aid is not merit scholarships, which is what you also asked the school to provide.  None of the Ivy League provides merit scholarships and every single one of those schools has a larger endowment than BC starting with Harvard at about $25B or more than 15 time larger than BCs.

My real point is that if you are going to have an argument provide facts to support your position instead of launching into an ad hominem attack on Gatzie, Momort, me, Fr. Leahy, Gene D., BC or anyone else.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssn710eagle. Show ssn710eagle's posts

What a pathetic excuse for a human being LP is.  Can we all agree on that now?  79 is the picture of calm, collected reason and even he got rattled by the sheer nonsense of LP (nee Captain Pathetic).

What stands out for me is that he literally exhibits all the opposite qualities that one would expect of a leader, meaning he's a loner and no one has ever trusted him with anything (thereby creating the angst needing an outlet). 

He truly hated last Thursday.

Also, if your whole purpose in life is to try and discredit Fr Leahy, wouldn't you do it somewhere other than the sports comments page?  This site is a visited by a bunch of guys who like watching sports, including many who live out of town and don't get the print version.  I guarantee this guy can't explain the difference between a cover-2 and a cover-3.  And with that, that waste of life is back on ignore (although I also guarantee he accuses me of something including the word "vitriol" in his response but the rest of you will have to check that one for me). 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

I want to add my two cents to this discussion. Did anyone see this post from last week from the liar:

The rest of you here seem complacent with the state of BCI (nee BC).
    Tell us: when has alma mater done anything for you other than take your money? 
    Do you think they care one whit about you

Re: Sad news for BC Basketball
    posted at 11/11/2010 6:31 PM EST

Did anyone else think this was one of the strangest things you had ever heard?
    What has BC ever done for me? Um, how about changed my life immeasurably for the better, for a start? Given me a great education, great alumni/networking connections, a large amount of my current friends, etc. etc. etc. Have you ever heard anyone anywhere talk about their alma mater - no matter the school - and basically say "What have they done for you lately/". Strange, strange, strange.

If you have been following LP for a while (and sadly I have) you notice a thread going through his posts. And that is the overwhelming sense of an entitlement mentality.

He has his nose of out of joint because some people he knows lost their jobs at BC. Why? Because LP believes people are entitled to their jobs. Merit doesnt not come into play.

Why is LP so irritated at the continuing amount of minorities who are accepted into BC? Because people like him (white Boston area white Catholics) are entitled to be accepted to BC.

His irritation at the financial aid policies? People he knows are entitled to financial aid.

Irritation at ticket price increases? People are entitled having below market ticket prices for the rest of their lives.

Etc Etc Etc.

Everything is about what BC (and the world) somehow owes to LP.

LP, BC doesn't owe you anything. The world doesn't owe you anything.

Most of life is merit-based. If you don't get the grades, you don't get into BC. If you have money, you don't get financial aid. If you are not doing a good job, you don't get to keep that job.

Remember - ask not what BC has done for you, ask what you can do for BC!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

I love this...the deconstruction of LP.

The best part, he will just ignore it.  That's what kills me.  79 comes back to LP's own questions with actual facts and LP ignores it all asking the same questions again and again.  Can you imagine having to raise this idiot. 

*LP: "mom why does the said sun not stay out all night.  i heard on other planets its sunny all day.  we should replace the sun with a better one."
    *Mom: "Well honey, our planet spins on its access so every part of the planet gets a chance to be warm and sunny."
    *LP: "AAAHHH, mom why does the said sun not stay out all night.  i heard on other planets its sunny all day.  we should replace the sun with a better one."
    *Mom: "as I said son, and look here in this science book, its so the entire planet can grow food, have water, be warm."
    *LP: "RRRHHHHHH, mom why does the said sun not stay out all night.  i heard on other planets its sunny all day.  we should replace the sun with a better one."
    *Mom: "You know what, get out.  You are the worst most annoying son I could have ever had.  Leave and go annoy the crap out of someone else..."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from eaglebeagle1. Show eaglebeagle1's posts

Good grief!  I've been following these posts for a while now.  I find LP's tone to be condescending and imperious, his refusal to address and debate facts appalling, and his unceasing variations on the same old diatribe boring beyond belief.  I'd like to suggest, as I believe other posters have in the past, that people simply not respond to his posts.  There are many other people posting interesting and intelligent comments (pro and con) about BC sports.  Perhaps we should leave LP (who apparently has lots of free time on his hands) to his "agenda" about Gene, Fr. Leahy and BC in general and have some intelligent and civil discussions without him. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Well, let's look at some of the contentions of the brethren & sistern:

1. What The Gang of Two has done: read just three of their lies listed in my signature. No one addresses them do they?  

That's curious

Bulletin: If our Dear Leader ran the place the honorable way that Father Monan did, I'd be his biggest fan. Reality: he doesn't.  I'm tired of my alma mater shooting itself in the foot by its untruths, with the resulting negative publicity and media comment such conduct receives and deserves.

2. Firing coaches:

Dear Leader has gotten rid of every hoops and football coach but one, (Coach TOB, who has now resurrected NC State)  who was smart enough to leave before their lasso encircled his neck. And, unlike the other schools cited by some of you, most of those beheadings had nothing to do with won/lost record.

Coach JOB was let go because Dear Leader was piqued that word got out about his decision to lower admissions standards for basketball players. Though the Globe said that JOB was not the source of the leak, Dear Leader severed him.

Coach Jags: dismissed despite a 20-8 record in two years, with national ranking. Why was he fired? Because he dared to do what he had a legal right to do: interview with the Jets.

Note that he was NOT fired for cause, and BCI (nee BC) had to pay his contract.

Coach Inglese:  her "retirement" was announced without her knowledge, despite a 273-179 record from 1993-1008, including 8 seasons with 20 wins, with 6 of her final 7 seasons having 20 wins.

Coach Skinner:  247-165 in 13 seasons; most wins in BCI (nee BC) history; last 6 years:

25-5     NCAA 2nd round
    28-8     Sweet 16
    21-12    NCAA 2nd round
    14-17
    22-12    NCAA 1st round.
    15-17

Inducted into New England Basketball Hall of Fame

Model on and off court behavior

National Coach of the Year

First (and for most of his tenure) the ONLY black coach at BCI (nee BC)

He, too, will be paid the balance of his contract - this year and two more, at a $3.3 million total. Guess who'll be paying that cost? That's right - look in the mirror, folks.

3. The Paterno comparison:

For the five year period beginning in 2001; Coach Paterno had the following record:

2000:  5-7
    2001 : 5-6
    2002:  9-4
    2003:  3-9
    2004:  4-7

Yet he wasn't fired then, was he?

And look what has since happened to the Nittany Lion program.

IMHO Coach Skinner's track record shows that he would have done the same.

And who is there now: a guy who thinks the most important things he can do is ban headbands, names on jerseys and different color sneakers.

5. Alumni Giving:

Apparently, BCI (nee BC) believes that ND is our benchmark, since the Development Office sent out an email about 2 years ago at the time of the ND football game comparing our then 19% ( I recall) alumni giving percentage to ND's then 49% ( I recall) which was more than double ours, and urging Eagles to catch up with the Irish.

Why do ND  alums give at so much a higher rate than Eagles do?  Apparently, they feel differently about their school than do our grads.

Also, that same US News & World Report College Ranking issue that one of the lads here cited has some other interesting comparative figures:

ND ranks 19th in the nation; we come in at 31.

ND's 2009 endowment was 4,920,742,000

Ours was 1,591,158,551

Their tuition is lower than ours.

What's the answer?

PUBLIC RELATIONS

And, sad to say, gents, the venom that y'all display toward someone who merely dissents is indicative of the tenor of the school.

If the school told the truth, operated consistent with Catholic values in its business interactions, it would solve a multitude of its self-created problems.

And, I respectfully submit, no one more than your humble correspondent, is more fervent in his wish that such would come about.

I am convinced, however, that such is impossible until we get new leadership, willing to "partner" with alumni in more than only their wallets.

Finally, to my esteemed friend, Gatzie:

Once again, son, you're wrong in your description of my position on minorities.

Earlier this week I posted a separate thread commending BCI (nee BC) for its progress in getting near a third of the present freshman class from minority students, a school high.  I cited other signs of progress there as well, and even suggested that we try to lure our 44th President to the helm at The Heights when his time at 1600 Pennsyvania Avenue concludes.

How telling it is that NOT ONE of you ardent loyalists spoke out to agree that those steps are important and should be expanded, until we reach full equality with 50% minority representation in the student body and power hierarchy.

Hmmmmm.

Peace,

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

LP -

1.) We all know that any of your posts about promoting minority represntation are lies. You have been trying to sing this tune for a while, after you got caught complaining about the amount of financial aid minorities receive. Hence your nickname: Longracist.

2.) Your many ideas about who should be the President and AD - including your recent one of President Obama - show that you are not interest in good faith discussion.

3.) Anyone who compares Al Skinner to Roy Williams and Joe Paterno is again not interested in good faith discussion. Joe Paterno has won two national titles in his sport. Al Skinner never got to a Final four in his. To compare Al Skinner to Joe Paterno is ridiculous.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

LP,

Your response about Alumni Giving is interesting because it only addresses the ND component.  You say nothing about the other schools whose alumni giving rates are less than 1/2 BC's.  The reason you got the letter from BC was because they have set a goal, to improve alumni giving beyond their current high ranking of 29.  What does this say about schools with alumni giving rates that are lower than BC's "pathetic" giving rate?

Interesting that you also noted the size of the ND endowment.  About 3x that of BC with a slightly smaller undergraduate population.  A school that does not provide academic scholarships.  A fine catholic institution like BC that should be able to easily afford such scholarships.  Something your response failed to address.  Nor does it address the much larger endowments at other schools, i.e. Harvard.  Or done on a per student endowment, Williams College.

As many of us noted when you started your Patriot League rant last year, the Patriot League is great but BC wants to peer with other National Universities.  If you listen to the BC press releases and their games on the radio you would hear that they are proud of their "scholar-athletes" as defined by their graduation rates.  Schools like ND, Duke, Northwestern, Stanford and Vanderbilt.

Further, you said, "And, sad to say, gents, the venom that y'all display toward someone who merely dissents is indicative of the tenor of the school."  The actual venom comes from you toward BC.

It is not a perfect place by a long shot but it has consistently worked to improve and by many measures they have.  You apparently do not like the progress.  Get over it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

LP,

You still do not get it.  Here is your statement:

So does the  zeal of ND folks in contributing. They must feel pleased with the school and how it is run.

Yes, that fact is acknowledge.  They are ranked #3 among National Universities in alumni giving.  But your conclusion that the BC giving rate is "paltry" is not supported by the facts unless you believe that any school that has an alumni rate that is less than BC's is even more paltry and shows how horrible, atrocious, I don't know you pick your exaggerated term, the school must be viewed by their alumni.

I cited 3, BU, 8%, NYU 9% and Syracuse 16%.  With BC ranked #29, there are plenty more that could be cited.

Further, you still do not address all the schools with larger endowments than BC not providing merit scholarships.  Why is that?  Perhaps it is an institutional philosophy espoused by all of the schools that are part of the 568 member institutions?  Let's see, that would include Holy Cross, a Patriot League member.  Check out the member institutions yourself.  It is pretty clear that you should direct your financial aid venom at all of them.

Your venom is that you fail to acknowledge that there is anything good about BC.  My posts have not contained venom but more of an attempt to get you to address the facts.  You fail to do that.

BTW, as some other poster noted, when a number of positive things happened for BC this fall, i.e. announcing the high graduation rate of its student athletes, you were silent.

You might as well be Rick Pitino, Fr. Monan is not walking through that door, Bill Flynn is not walking through that door, Lenny Ceglarski is not walking through that door.  Seems like the Celtics have turned the corner as has BC.

Unfortunately, you are too blind to see it.

Now for the rest of us . . . I am encouraged by the basketball team's win last week.  While it should not be much of a challenge it will be interesting to see how they do against Yale tonight.  Good luck to the women's soccer team in the sweet 16.  Also the BC Mens team as they take on Brown tonight in the NCAA playoffs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

Gatzie manifests a Pavlovian reaction to positions he does not share or
    cannot rebut. i.e. he viscerally proclaims FACTS and proposals "lies",
    but never demonstrates the alleged untruth.  Hmmmmm
    Posted by Longputter
    First: 3/10/2009
    Last: 11/18/2010

Has any of you named ONE school where ONE President has fired all but one basketball or football coach in 14 years?
    posted by Longputter at 10/16/2010 4:14 PM EDT

Robert Bruininks
    President of University of Minnesota
    since 2002

Harvey S. Perlman,
    University of Nebraska-Lincoln
    Since 2001

Michael F. Adams
    Universit of Georgia
    President since 1997

Edward Malloy
    Notre Dame
    President from 1987 to 2005

What school has dismissed EVERY football or basketball coach except one (plus the incumbents) in 14 years? Still awaiting that answer.
    posted by Longputter at 10/11/2010 3:34 PM EDT

Answer:

University of Washington
    University of Minnesota
    University of Georgia
    Rutgers
    West Point
    University of Alabama
    Baylor University
    Auburn University
    Univeristy of Notre Dame
    UCLA

You claim that Boston College under Fr. Leahy is the "Behead Coaches Institute". Please provide an example of one school under one President where fewer coaches were fired in 14 years. If you are unable to do so, we must conclude that you are a liar and that everything you say about Boston College should be discounted.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

In Response to Re: The "Exciting" new era of Eagle basketball:
    [QUOTE]  Coach Jags : dismissed despite a 20-8 record in two years, with national ranking. Why was he fired? Because he dared to do what he had a legal right to do: interview with the Jets.       Note that he was NOT fired for cause, and BCI (nee BC) had to pay his contract.          
    Posted by Longputter[/QUOTE]

I love the LP double standard.

He demands that BC show loyalty to their coaches and employees.

Does he also demand Coach Jags show loyalty to BC? No, of course not.

It is always a one way street with old LP.

BC is under the obligation to keep coaches in their jobs.  But BC coaches are under no obligation to stay true to their committments.

After about year five, Tom O'Brien tried to leave BC every year. He tried to get involve in every coaching job that was out there.  So of course LP takes his side.

Same thing with Coach Jags. He got hired under the agreement that he would stay at BC. But then he went back on his word and started to interview.

Two men who basically told BC to go screw.

And LP the supposed BC "fan" takes their side.

What a surprise.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAS881. Show CHAS881's posts

Bumbling College B/Ball continues the futile attempt of BC Football to compete at Division I level.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Today's Globe story of the Yale loss quotes Stevie Wonder as saying:

"This is a big step back."

Was he subconsciously thinking of The Gang of Two's coaching change this spring?

If so, he is not alone in that thought.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

According to LPs logic Donahue lost with Skinner's players so not to fret.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Travel agents around the nation are aglow, as Eagle fans scurry to make their Final Four reservations for April in Houston, after our stirring defeat of Holy Cross.

Watch us surge in the polls after beating the winless Crusaders, before a "crowd" of 3,672.

Seems we surely can compete in the Patriot League, if not in the Ivy League.

Though we can't beat the Cross in alumni giving percentage (they are are 50%), they've met their match on the court.

On to Orlando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

LP,

Interesting that you point out that ND is ranked 19 in the US News and World Report rankings of National Universities and that BC is just 31.  Note that under Fr. Leahy's guidance BC has continually moved up the US News rankings and 31 is the highest ever, up 3 slots from last year.  Further, you had stated that you did not care about what other schools do.  Unless or course it suits your purpose.

Now, please address why it would be okay for BC to provide academic scholarships with an endowment 1/3 the size of NDs and a larger undergraduate student population.  If not ND perhaps you could use Harvard or Holy Cross as your examples.

Back to your venom, what do you post?   That BC loses to Yale.  Not that the BC women handily beat West Virginia 4-0 to advance to the final 8.  Congratualtions to coach Alison Foley who has been the coach of the team for 13 years.  Not sure how she survives at BCI.

If it is something negative you are certain to post it while also ignoring other more positive things that are occuring.  Another example is the women's basketball team that has started 4-0.

Now, for everyone else, it was a good win against HC.  As we analyze this year's team we should acknowledge that SD and coach Al recruited different types of players.  SD prefers shooters that run the floor and Al preferred a slow down banging game.  While SD could benefit from the players that remained after coach Al left the game he would like them to play does not appear to suit them. 

With that said, I would suggest we give it some time.  It takes a bit for players to change their style of play.  It may even mean waiting until SD gets players that play more of a hurry up, 3-point shooting style.

PS Too bad the BC men's soccer team lost to Brown.  It is a pretty significant accomplishment that they made the tournament.  Funny how the men's soccer coach has been able to survive 22 years at BCI . . .

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Odd that no one has noticed here the irony that , with an all-Ivy coaching staff (including TWO who were Head Coaches in that league a year ago), the new wizards could not figure out a way to beat the only Ivy on our schedule this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAS881. Show CHAS881's posts

Bumbling College finds its niche. With win over Holy Cross, the Patriot League a natural. They should finish in top 5 every year

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cp77. Show cp77's posts

11/18: BC basketball,   attendance: 3,813
    11/19: BC hockey,   attendance: 7,126
    11/21: BC hockey:   attendance: 5,765
    11/22: BC basketball:  attendance: 3,672

And Diane Sawyer was at the Yale game!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

OMG: we beat Texas A & M

Bet them Wisconsin Badgers is quaking now!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Great job squandering a halftime lead.

Another national TV embarrassment: Wisconsin brought lots of fans to Orlando.
    On the other hand, I guess that both of our fans present enjoyed themselves.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

LP,

Your venom remains apparent.  Unfortunately BC lost to Wisconsin today.  Of course that is what you post instead of anything positive or to actually respond to questions.  You request spirited debate yet do not participate.

Still waiting on a respone on why being ranked 29th in alumni giving is "pathetic".  While you are at it why don't you let us know how the 2 soccer coaches have lasted so long at BC.  Or why we have not heard from you about the women's soccer team making it to the final 8. Or why other schools with significantly more resources than BC do not provide merit scholarships.  Or how the high graduation rate of the BC student athletes are the envy of many schools.  Or the increase in US News and many other institutional rankings.

As many others have noted, we get it, you went to BC and not longer like it.  So you will spend the rest of your life attacking the school and anyone who supports it.  You claim that others are un-Catholic yet it is you who constantly attacks with both your posts and your signature.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Eagle79,

What is this, a quiz show?

Never said anything is wrong with soccer program or hockey, or water polo, for that matter.

The problem is the astounding coach termination record of The Gang of Two in the two most prominent sports: football and men's hoops.

When more than 77% of your alumni won't give a dime to the place - while Holy Cross and ND get more than half of theirs to give - says something loud and clear about how alumni feel about the way the place is run. That is, unless you belong to the ostrich club - as many here appear to do.

Goodwill toward alums requires that generosity go both ways. People recoil from the fact that our Dear Leader wants us to give constantly to BCI (nee BC), yet when those alums need financial aid for their kids, BCI turns a deaf ear, in favor of giving aid to people with no connection to the place. 

Maybe that does not bother you, but I've heard MANY alums say this: they feel that BCI (nee BC) simply does not care about them at all - except to constantly want to "partner" with their checkbooks.

The place CAN afford merit scholarships, but chooses not to give them. 
    That was not always the case, for sure. And it should not be the case now.

No one has criticized the graduation rate.

Pull the finger off the diagnosis button, my man.  You misread my take here.

As I've said OFTEN, presence on this campus over two administrations gives perspective about striking differences. It's demeaning to have had to read all the justified criticism about the lack of truth that has marked this place since 1996. Has there ever been a college president who has drawn more negative press than the incumbent? If there is, I'm unaware of who.

Illustratively, the three lies cited in my sign-off tell the broader tale. Why lie about firing Al Skinner? Why lie about why you won't send the band to the bowl at San Francisco? Simply tell the truth and say that you won't pay that cost?

Why lie about staying in the Big East?

The stupidity of all those lies is that the press will - and did - pick up on lies, and will call the administration on them. Witness Andy Katz, and other ESPN commentary this year.

And why, on a related note,  fire Coach Jags in an exercise of petulance for doing what he had a right to do? And then stick yourself with a huge payout because he was not fired for cause?

Same thing with Coach Skinner: owe him $3.3 million so you can bring in at best a coach who won in the Ivy League?  That league is a place where coaches either don't rise, or go when on the downslide of their career - i.e. Amaker.

If this place were now run in the honorable way that it was under Father Monan, it would be FAR ahead of its present public and alumni perception in several notable regards. 

No doubt, BCI (nee BC) IS successful in several desirable aspects. That is good. BUT the hypocrisy it constantly exhibits is a big problem to many.

Finally, the LARGE financial waste caused by the JAGS and Skinner firings is - Duh - blithely passed onto the consumer - i.e. the sucker who buys the PSL and the tickets.

It does the place - and those who care about it - no good to blindly pretend that it is nirvana - when it is anything but that.

Come back to campus some weekday, and speak to any 10 people who work here, and see what they say about the situation. My guess is that most of the faculty will say, in one form or other, Thank God for tenure protection!

Finally, why is it wrong to comment on performance of our teams?

Peace, lad.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

LP,

Check your facts and actually look at what you are saying.  From your signature:

• Where more than 75% of alumni won't give a dime to the place;

Factually incorrect.  As cited a number of times and it actually looks like you have looked at it USNews most recent edition lists the alumni giving rate at 26% and ranks that as 29th among national universities.  A group that includes over 250 schools.  Let's see, 29/250, some where better than the top 12%.

Still no comment from you about the other schools that rank behind BC or that the alumni giving rate has improved over the years.  The really strange thing is that you use that as a metric yet complain when you are asked to give.  You can not have it both ways.

Yes, there are a number of schools that have better alumni giving rates.  The school has a better rate now than in the past and is trying to improve.  Again, according to USNews they are about the same as Georgetown who has an alumni giving rate of 27%.  But yes BC is behind ND and HC. 

Funny you should look at that comparison but no others.  For example, ND and HC do NOT provide academic scholarships, financial aid only.  From specific experience I know people who were offered better financial aid packages from BC then ND a school with an endowment 3 times as large as BCs and a smaller undergrad population.  Pretty convenient that you ignore that.

• Where the dubious distinction of having spots in both basketball and football in the ESPN Top Ten Sports Scandals is part of its history.

Interesting that you speak so highly of Father Monan.  I think the world of him too.  Buy you should be aware that both of those "dubious distinctions" occured on his watch not Father Leahy or GDF.  Further it should be noted that those scandals involved the players not the coaches unlike the issues at other schools.

Interesting that you comment on how much it is costing BC to fire coach Jags and Skinner.  The amount is not even close to the amount the ND has to pay for coaches Willingham and Weis.  Though I guess it is okay for them because they have a larger endowment and a better alumni giving rate.  Or that HC fired their basketball coach.  To make those statements clear I am being sarcastic. 

Overall my point is that you are being very hypocritical where it is okay for some schools and some programs but not BC.  It has been cited numerous times how many other schools have fired more head coaches than BC yet you do not respond.  Further you are being hypocritical when you cite schools as examples, i.e. ND alumni giving, yet fail to recognize those same schools for the same things of which you are critical of BC.

Again, we all get it, you went to BC and you no longer like the way it is run.  Here is a list of schools for you to check out, it is the 568 schools. Note how HC and ND are on that list along with a number of other fine schools.

There is no problem commenting on the performance of the BC teams but your comments are reserved for when the teams do poorly.  You call BC the Behead Coaches Institute yet have no comment on the longevity of most of the coaches at BC, i.e. the soccer coaches.  Those coaches operate under the same administration.
    Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.  Too bad the hockey team lost to Merrimack but it is great that the women's soccer team is going to the final 4 and the football team beat Syracuse today.

Sections
Shortcuts