The "Exciting" new era of Eagle basketball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Re: The "Exciting" new era of Eagle basketball

Eagle79,

We're talking about the coach savaging in mens hoops and football,the two most visible sports. Get it NOW?

If US News is correct, then 74% (or nearly three quarters) of the alums feel so detached from the place that they won't give. It's NO justification that some other schools do worse. The comparison to HC and ND is simply to show that other comparable schools do FAR better than we do. Why is that, do you think?

You refuse to concede that there is a malaise in alumni spirit, as evidenced by the paltry giving performance.

So what if ND owed Herm or Charlie. WE should not be doing the same, financially foolish things - which cost people like YOU dearly, if you want to go to a game. Get THAT?

You also conveniently ignore the serial untruths for which The Gang of Two has become known, as shown by media commentators.

But if you are down with the M.O. of Dear Leader, drive on, my boy.

There are, however, others who want better for alma mater.

It's time to stop the lies that come from that tier.

Peace, my son.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

BC basketball defeats Texas A&M and the University of California this weekend at the Old Spice Classic.

A&M is now 5-1 with their only loss coming to BC.

Cal is 3-2 with wins over New Mexico and Temple.

Hopefully LP's brain won't explode when he hears the news...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1994. Show 1994's posts

JG - too late for that.  The lack of logic in this comments demonstrates that that BC hating racist clearly lost his marbles long ago.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

I am actually surprised by how well BC did this weekend.  We all know they aren't going to be very good this season, but it seems like they are starting to get SD's system and will at least be competitive.  It still remains to be seen if he can recruit enough athletes to compete with the UNCs and Dukes, but what we do know is this.  Unlike Al, he will actually go on the road and attempt to recruit!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

One question I had on the giving report.  does it focus on those alumni who gave in the year reported or overall alumni giving?  The numbers could be very different based upon the population chosen

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

Provpats,

The numbers are based upon the year reported not overall alumni giving over a life time.  I do not have exact numbers but over time, despite what LP says, BC's alumni giving rate is up and close to Georgetown, they are at 27% and BC is at 26%.  The US News Online edition requires a subscription but it has a wealth of information about colleges in the US.  If you have an extra $20 lying around check it out.

Some schools do better, i.e. ND at 44% and some do worse, about 9% for NYU.  The point I am making to LP is that BC's alumni giving rate is not "pathetic" since it is in the top 11%-12% of National Universities.  Further, he thinks the alumni giving rate will just go up without fund raising campaigns.  Here is the Spirit fund raising campaign for ND.  And the Light the World Campaign for BC.  I am not seeing much difference only that ND raises more money and has a larger endowment.

Could BC do better?  Sure and that is the point of sending out the requests to donate in a number of different ways, i.e. email, phone calls, US Mail and special programs.  It is also the reason BC uses ND's alumni giving rate as a target for them to try to achieve.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Eagle79,

Since you're such an advocate, why not get that checkbook out and donate?

Good job down south in the tourney, albeit with Al's kids doing the job. And what's that y'all said about his not recruiting?

Let's see what happens when they leave.  Time will tell.

We'll also see something next season if (more likely when??) Fairfield, Ohio State and Baylor progress noticeably from contributions by our transfers.

Also, if the US News numbers re alumni giving are obtained from BCI (nee BC) without verification, then there is reason for doubt, given this administration's long-term struggle with truth.

Peace, chums.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: The "Exciting" new era of Eagle basketball:[QUOTE]BC basketball defeats Texas A&M and the University of California this weekend at the Old Spice Classic. A&M is now 5-1 with their only loss coming to BC. Cal is 3-2 with wins over New Mexico and Temple. Hopefully LP's brain won't explode when he hears the news...Posted by JamesGatz1[/QUOTE]

BC against 6-0 Indiana in an ACC-Big Ten challenge will be a real good test to see where Donahue has the Eagles tomorrow night.

PS. What happened to all those teams that were supposedly drooling over Al Skinner being available ? LoL!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

LP,

It appears that you assume that I am not part of the 26% that contribute.  While I have 2 students that did/do not go to BC and I receive contribution requests from them all the time I have contributed and count myself among the 26%.

Additionally, you said:

"The comparison to HC and ND is simply to show that other comparable schools do FAR better than we do. Why is that, do you think?

You refuse to concede that there is a malaise in alumni spirit, as evidenced by the paltry giving performance."

It is great to compare our alumni giving rate to HC and ND.  However, I think you are not really looking at the facts.  The facts are that ND and HC have traditionally had excellent alumni giving rates and continue to have category leading rates.  ND is ranked #3 among National Universities and HC #8 among National Liberal Arts schools.

The facts you are ignoring is that BC's alumni giving rate is up under Father Leahy.  So, with the rate up, how is there malaise?  Was there malaise under Father Monan?  Further, you fail to acknowledge how good BC's giving rate is when compared to many peer institutions, i.e. Georgetown, BU, NYU, Syracuse, etc.   

Further, you cite these 2 schools as doing great but fail to state why that is.  It is not because they provide academic scholarships.  Based upon your statements about BC we certainly know that ND can afford it.  Care to comment?  I suspect not.

It is always easy to find schools that do better.  It is good to target what they do and learn from them.  Perhaps even use them with the alumni as targets, i.e. Father Leahy asking that the alumni try to match the ND giving rate.  Kind of like the Red Sox targeting the Yankees, not the Orioles for comparison.  Apparently you do not understand this.

I still await your response on how BCI could possibly have kept the soccer coaches so long.  And how you smear the current adminitration for actions that did not occur on their watch.  Again, we get it, you went to BC and do not like some of their current policies.

Now, back to the discussion with everyone else.  It will be interesting to see how the team does tonight against Indiana as SD is still working to transition the players recruited by Al to a completely different style of play.  It looks like they are getting it as evidenced by their play though it has been up and down so far, i.e. the Yale loss.

While I am at it, good luck to the BC Womens Soccer team this weekend during their first trip to the NCAA final 4 to play Stanford (34% alumni giving rate, not sure how LP would classify that giving rate).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

Only in LP's word can someone be in the Top 12% and at the same time be Pathetic.

Eagle79 - Here is an idea for you...might be time consuming so wait until you get bored. List all the Top 29 alumni giving rates by school. Then ask LP to draw a line where good or acceptable meets pathetic. My guess is good/acceptable will be every school above BC. And for those schools below BC? Well, you have to understand there are mitigating circumstances!

I did like your point about giving under Fr. Monan. I know it has improved and been better under Fr. Leahy, but I don't have the hard numbers. Like you said, was there a malaise then?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Forget about all that donation stuff.  Maybe we should be thankful we do not act like ND in these circumstances:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-notre-dame-story-20101121,0,3185959.story

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/pierce/2010/11/shake_down_the_thunder.html

The stench of money won't cover up the rotten borough that ND has become.

What say you about this LP?  Has BC done anything like this?  Does the smell of filthy lucre excuse this behavior from either the Pres or the new sainted football coach?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

Another win for Coach Donahue and the boys, handing 6-0 Indiana their first defeat of the year.

The loss to Yale looking more and more like a weird fluke.

The other loss - to Wisconsin - looking less and less bad as the Badgers beat NC State by 40.

Newcomer Danny Rubin looking good, with REggie Jackson looking great.

Why didn't the guys play this hard when Al was coach?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: The "Exciting" new era of Eagle basketball:[QUOTE]Another win for Coach Donahue and the boys, handing 6-0 Indiana their first defeat of the year. The loss to Yale looking more and more like a weird fluke. The other loss - to Wisconsin - looking less and less bad as the Badgers beat NC State by 40. Newcomer Danny Rubin looking good, with REggie Jackson looking great. Why didn't the guys play this hard when Al was coach?
    Posted by JamesGatz1[/QUOTE]

One thing I noticed tonight was Donahue was up the whole game barking out orders where as Al was allot more laid back. Reggie Jackson was the straw that stirred the drink tonight when it counted it's his team now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

BC beats Indiana from the oh so amazing Big 10, the same Indiana who until BC beat them had an identical record to Ohio State.  Alas, they won with "Al's kids" however when they lost to Yale they lost because of our new coach.

In other news, LP is still a humongous loser.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

By the way, anyone know of any websites that actually care about BC sports.  boston.com is awful, I don't even think they update the sight on a dailey basis, the headline is still about the football team's win over Duke

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

BC sports websites:

Eagle Outsiders (not for the faint of heart / abandon hope all ye who enter here)
    URL = http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/index.php

Eagle Insider
    URL = http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=165

Eagle in Atlanta
    URL = http://atleagle.blogspot.com/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.bcheights.com/sports/notebook-bc-wards-off-indiana-with-late-adjustments-1.1818538

Make no mistake Donahue knows when and where to make the adjustments when teams come back on him. Steve also knew keeping Jackson from transferring was also another key kudos.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

SDB,

Good article.

I am sure LP will point out the Jackson is a Skinner recruit.  With that said, many would also say they do not know why he was at BC because Skinner's system was not suited to him.  His is a point guard that likes to run an up-tempo offense.

They have a long way to go and they are undersized but I like the hustle we are seeing.

JG1, good list.  That is the one I would use along with just reading the ESPN site.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

All those empty seats at the Indiana game sure looked impressive to the national TV audience - and to potential recruits, no doubt.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

BC basketball, a who cares, going nowhere in an ACC conference that has beed down! No longer the predominent conference the Big East has taken over, as for BC, it's still dangles in ambiguity looking for credibility it can no longer reach! Sorry trolls BC won't be dancing again this year with this coach ... Love UCONN!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1994. Show 1994's posts

Just when you think no one could post anything dumber than the garage that longracist posts .....we have NDtool to save the day.

Yes ndtool the big least is the predominant conference.  The big east's championship from last year proves that.  Oh wait, that was the ACC.  Well it was a close game the big east lost to the ACC in that championship - oh yeah that was Butler not a big least team.

Well at least the big least won the year before.  Oh yeah, that was also the ACC.

But certainly, the big least has won several championships in the last five years. Oh yeah - they have not won a single championship.  

The ACC has 5 of the 11 championships in the 2000's but clearly they are sucking wind and just cant win like the big east does.

I guess this clown gave up on ND's basketball team to cheer for UCONN.  A rival team in your conference?   Isn't this the same guy who is also a rice fan?   

NDtool - comeback with some real logic next time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

Provpats,

Not the best of things for ND but all schools have their imfamous alumni and bad moments, i.e. the Unabomber is a Harvard grad.  BC has had its own issues over the years.  Some before Father Leahy and some during his tenure.

Regardless, good win for BC the other night.  Interesting that LP brings up the attendance for the game.  There were over 5,000 fans there which has been about the average attendance figure for the basketball team over the last few years when Al was in charge.  To be exact, it was 5,317 last year.  Not sure what his point is, the attendance picks up during the ACC schedule.  Let's see where they end up at the end of the year with a facility that holds 8606.

It is also interesting that one of the media experts found the game the other night interesting.  Bob Ryan, BC Grad, thinks Something is Brewing at The Heights.  Where he observed, as we have noted here, "The great mystery of the past two years at BC was why Reggie Jackson ever came to BC in the first place. Had he ever seen them play? He was born to play up-tempo basketball, not in Al Skinner's little flex offense phone booth."

He also further observes: "I'm telling you right now: BC is worth the investment, both financial and emotional. They will be up and down and in and out, and there is a limit to their talent. But they will get somebody good in Conte, and they will not go down easily on the road.

And the story is only just beginning..."

I had been a fan of Al Skinner for years but agree that the program had gone stale.  The progress so far is encouraging.  Further, the women's team remains undefeated.  To bad the women's soccer team lost in the national semi-final last night but it has been a great season.

Let's see if the hockey team can win back to back against BU this weekend . . .

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreenNameGoesHere. Show ScreenNameGoesHere's posts

In Response to Re: The "Exciting" new era of Eagle basketball:
    [QUOTE]All those empty seats at the Indiana game sure looked impressive to the national TV audience - and to potential recruits, no doubt.
    Posted by Longputter[/QUOTE]

Putter:
    Agree. Indiana definitely needs to step up with the fan support

And by the way, BC just beat UMass so I want to make sure I understand this.
    BC won because of Al's recruits and despite Donahue's coaching, is that correct?
    And when BC loses it's because of Donahues coaching. Do I have it right?

By the way, where is awesome Al coaching these days? Some big time program must have locked him up with a long term contract by now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernmiss. Show southernmiss's posts

Well, I admit I occasionally find myself agreeing with the LP, but if he's gonna ride the anti-Donahue train, the next few years ain't gonna be a pleasant journey for him.  I watched the last five BC basketball games -- three on TV, two in person -- and the Don, quite simply, is an extraordinary coach.  He's working with no depth and mediocre talent save for Jackson (3 walk-ons getting playing time!) and yet his men are playing with FIRE.  Can't wait to see what happens when he gets his own recruits in.

Also, it's clear the LP doesn't attend BC basketball games because the crowd at the Indiania game was WAY better than anything we saw in Al's final two seasons.  The pulse has returned to Conte, and yeah, it feels kinda nice.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

southernmiss,

Careful re your assumptions.

I'll match my Conte attendance with yours, sight unseen.

The "crowd" at the Indiana game?

Just over 5,000, with 3,000 plus empty seats for a nationally televised game vs a Big Ten opponent.

And by the way, did anyone notice how Sean McD and his sidekick on the broadcast once again exposed DeFelippo, by saying that HE decided to make a coaching change, despite Al's 13 years of prominence here? And how they repeatedly praised his performance and behavior?

Guess they're biased too, huh?

If Stevie Wonder has restored fan enthusiasm for BC hoops, it's well disguised.

As to the team, what y'all conveniently forget is that Al had a young team last year, which is now maturing. Little doubt that he'd have produced at least equal results as the water-walker will.

All the nay-saysers  about Al's recruiting are suddenly mum when his kids are performing now.  

The coaching climate here is what it's been since the reign of terror began in 1996.

I hope the new guy succeeds. And if he does, watch how long it takes him to move on.  Then y'all can trash him, too.

Remember the manner and speed with which DeFilippon bailed on Villanova when this job opened?  Hmmm  So now it's a case of do as I say, not as I do (and have done).

The Chestnut Hill hypocrisy train rides on proudly down the track.

Peace.

Sections
Shortcuts