The "Exciting" new era of Eagle basketball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Re: The "Exciting" new era of Eagle basketball

LP

I thought it was Leahy who decided to fire Al?  Now it is GD?   You really have to keep your stories straight

BTW in the media game no one trashes former coaches; No one here has ever said Al was a bad guy or that he was bad for the program.  he just failed to win the last three years and was mediocre in both conferences

I would say last year with the exception of the Duke and NC games, I doubt attendence exceeded 5K in many instances; it was listed at 5,300 for the Indiana game

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

In Response to Re: The "Exciting" new era of Eagle basketball:
    LP I thought it was Leahy who decided to fire Al?  Now it is GD?   You really have to keep your stories straight BTW in the media game no one trashes former coaches; No one here has ever said Al was a bad guy or that he was bad for the program.  he just failed to win the last three years and was mediocre in both conferences I would say last year with the exception of the Duke and NC games, I doubt attendence exceeded 5K in many instances; it was listed at 5,300 for the Indiana game
    Posted by provpats

provpats,

My stories ALWAYS are straight.

DeFilippo decided to fire Al, but need Dear Leader's OK. So, Sean was right and so was I.

Al did NOT fail to win "the last three years." Check the record, son.

He was not mediocre in both conferences.

Try as you might, you can't escape the media noting and re-noting the unjust beheading of our first black head coach, a fine man with a fine record, who just came off a down year.

Bet, hey, groove on in your reverie.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

LP,

A couple or responses to your comments:

Number 1

Bet, hey, groove on in your reverie.

But, hey, groove on in your constant rock throwing and complaining.

You complain about certain posters losing their christian values in their posts. Considering how much you complain about Fr Leahy and GDF it certainly appears that you have also.

Number 2

Try as you might, you can't escape the media noting and re-noting the unjust beheading of our first black head coach, a fine man with a fine record, who just came off a down year.

I am not seeing the media saying it was unjust.  Nor do I see people not say that Al is not a fine man.  What many are saying is that Al had lost his ability to recruit when he lost 2 assistants to head coaching slots.  Here is what Bob Ryan said just the other day:

"For reasons only he knows, he had stopped recruiting. Oh, yeah, he knew he had to find players somewhere, but once he lost A-list assistants Ed Cooley and Bill Coen to well-deserved head coaching jobs at Fairfield and Northeastern, respectively, the recruiting had fallen off and Al was not the man to step in and do the heavy lifting himself. DeFilippo recognized this and made up his mind the slide was not going to continue."

Go back and read what people actually said.  We liked Al, he did a good job for the program, but it was time to move on.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

OK once more

he had a record of 106-106 for his career at BC for the conference play combined a .500 record is mediocre

BE record 66-66
    ACC record 40-40

That approximates my definition of mediocre

And I do apologize he was 51-45 in his last three years with a 19-29 conference record.

The good thing is that I doubt Leahy had to be consulted when you got fired.

Again no one has said Al was a bad person, just that the program was not where they wanted it to be

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Eagle, Nice reasoning and fact checking but all things BC hater will not recognize are facts or for that matter reality nice attempt though. Gene D knows when the TOBs, JOBs and Als are finished that takes knowledge and decisive decision making.

Every run by UMASS Saturday was met by a very good coach that knew what to do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernmiss. Show southernmiss's posts

LP, nope, couldn't tell you what Sean McD did or did not say on the broadcast as I attended the game in person.  My comments weren't so much about attendance numbers but about atmosphere in Conte. Much more crowd enthusiasm than we've seen the past two years.  Hope it continues to build.

p.s. Sounds like you don't get out to Conte much?  Give me an emaill;  I'm actually rather curious to meet you and have a couple extra tickets for the next few games. Would be happy to have you as my guest. jrmkll@gmail.com.

p.p.s. Please consider stripping your postings of that massively long post-script.  Makes it a pain to scroll through these message threads.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

I agree with southernmiss, maybe we can get LP to remove the obnoxious tag line on his posts, then, the threads will become quicker to read through, and there's a chance others will partake in the discussion.  LP, we understand your point.  So as a gesture of good faith, can you just remove the tag volume?  Maybe paste a link in there to your blog or webpage instead?  We can always bookmark it to read the list.

As for BC bball, it's becoming enjoyable again, and against decent competition too. I'm sure there will be ups and downs, but this is promising. 

Finally, I wish Al Skinner well, as I've posted before.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Attendance 2009-2010 season

2-3K 3x
    3-4K 1x
    4-5K 5x
    5-6K 2x
    6-7K 2x
    />8K 4x  all ACC games

Appeard to me the attendance is right where it should be

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Let me know this out there.  The reason I liked Skinner was because his style enabled them to play with any opponent both up and down.  Because of the flex and the controlled style, we kept up with Duke and UNC despite not having the athletes.

Now with SD we are playing a style that is not unlike those schools, fast tempo, lots of 3s, etc.  My question is, no matter how well SD does he won't be able to recruit the class of athlete they do, just won't ever happen at BC.  So if we are playing the same system with athletes that aren't quite as good, I can see us really struggling again the elite.  Just a thought.

That said, I'm happy with this guy so far and if he can recruit BC hoops should have a nice run ahead of it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

Momort,

My thoughts too.  Because BC's style of play was so different than what others typically saw I think it enabled them to stay up with UNC and Duke and even knock them off a few times.  Now that they style is more up tempo I suspect the other teams may be able to defend it a bit better.

Still, I prefer the up-tempo play.  Roy Williams is one of my favorites.  It should be interesting to see if BC can keep up as the new system gets implemented and the recruits come in over the next few years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssn710eagle. Show ssn710eagle's posts

It's an interesting point.  I think there's some truth to the tight flex being effective because it was unique, but the cost/benefit of that system is murky at best.  All "up-tempo" styles of play are not created equal.  The Duke/UNC style is certainly up-tempo, but they are both still built around much more traditional half court offensive sets than SD teams use.  SD uses big men facing the basket, usually a four man spread of the court at the three point line, some elements of Princeton-type backdoor cuts, and a fairly exotic mix of zones, traps, full court pressure.  SD is not going to get guys like Duke and UNC that can leave for the NBA after one or two seasons, so over the long haul the second tier recruits end up having more experience.  In aggregate, I think this system still has off center benefits that meet or exceed even a well recruited team running the flex.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Eagle and SSN, I agree.  Not all systems are built equally of course and he did take a Cornell team pretty far with lesser athletes because most were seniors.  that is a big advantage, having these guys in the system for 4 years.  time will tell.

Sections
Shortcuts