The Future of UMass Football

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Re: The Future of UMass Football

Amhest and williams?  let's be serious about the attendance there.  Maybe 4K tops?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Any move to the BCS would certainly involve playing home games elsewhere, like Gillette, for a few years.   And the schedules would also involve many road games as they play the role of well paid sacrificial lamb.   Only much later do I see a new Campus-based Stadium.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarbosFro. Show CarbosFro's posts

Sounds like UMass is finally getting its act in gear.  Its ridiculous that they aren't already in the Big East or playing D1A football.  It will be cool to see them playing more big games at the Razor. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Minutemen429. Show Minutemen429's posts

I'm changing my mind from when this discussion first started a couple months ago.  With URI downgrading their program, and the CAA moving south all the way to Georgia.  Making the jump to FBS even in the MAC makes more and more sense.  The MAC competition will only be a little higher than the CAA.  The travel will be no more than the CAA.  The MAC may also allow UMass a few years to get their stadium situation fixed since MAC teams only average about 20,000 per game, whether it be upgrading or replacing McGuirk, or building a stadium in Northampton or Springfield.  If UMass competes and proves themself in the MAC it could get an invite to the Big East down the road especially if the Big East splits along basketball/football and baskeball only lines.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from YeWiseOne. Show YeWiseOne's posts

I am really starting to recognize that there really is a reason for the Big East to take UMass into the league, and that is a real change from my previous thoughts.

UMass has over 200,000 alumni from the Boston metro area.  Yet, with BC now in the ACC, the Boston market is a media vacumn for the Big East.  The UMass vs. UNH game at Gillette proved that they can draw big crowds if they were playing teams like UConn, Syracuse and BC (out of conference) at Gillette Stadium. 

Also, these teams have had intense rivalries over the years.  Further, UMass offers high quality academics and one of the best marching bands in the nation that rivals the top football schools in the country.  The more I think about it the Big East needs UMass as much as UMass needs the Big East.

The selection of TCU baffles me.  They are not in the East and although they are in Texas (arguably the capital of football) they are a distant also ran school in fan support compared with Texas and Texas A&M.  Yeah I know they are having a good year, but that too will come to an end.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

In Response to Re: The Future of UMass Football:
    [QUOTE]I'm changing my mind from when this discussion first started a couple months ago.  With URI downgrading their program, and the CAA moving south all the way to Georgia.  Making the jump to FBS even in the MAC makes more and more sense.  The MAC competition will only be a little higher than the CAA.  The travel will be no more than the CAA.  The MAC may also allow UMass a few years to get their stadium situation fixed since MAC teams only average about 20,000 per game, whether it be upgrading or replacing McGuirk, or building a stadium in Northampton or Springfield.  If UMass competes and proves themself in the MAC it could get an invite to the Big East down the road especially if the Big East splits along basketball/football and baskeball only lines.
    Posted by Minutemen429[/QUOTE]

What changed everyone's mind was URI moving down. UMass was committed to the CAA after Northeastern and Hofstra folded up shop. They were likely committed even if Villanova moved up. But URI moving down to the NEC leaves only three New England teams left in a Southern league. With the closest opponent being in Delaware, all the sudden the MAC looks more appealing, even if it's not the Big East.

Staying in the FCS would have left the programs at a crossroads. UMass is too big of an university and too important to have a low level FCS program, or no program at all. UNH and UMaine are schools meant for the FCS. UMass has outgrown the competition. Will UNH and Maine remain in the CAA if they are the only Northeastern schools competing in the league?

Moving to the MAC gets our foot in the door. The Big East would love to have us, but wouldn't take a team just moving up unless they were already a member like UConn or Villanova.  At least UMass will be in the expansion discussion next time the Big East gets raided.  Plus having another top level program can only be a positive for football in the region.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zig2K. Show Zig2K's posts

[QUOTE]Bad info Zig - Plenty of FBS teams make $ or basically break even.  UMass needs to take this step, improve their team on the field, improve their facilities, play good football and make smart business decisions.  W/in 10 yrs they will be in the big east. 
    Posted by CarbosFro[/QUOTE]

---------------

You need to read "Death to the BSC" and update YOUR info

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

UConn, who didn't have much success at the FCS level drawing half the attendance of UMass, is going to a BCS Bowl. Yes they're 8-4, but just like the NFC West winner gets to go to the playoffs the Big East gets to send somone to a BCS bowl.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox01. Show redsox01's posts

[QUOTE]Great time to ask the taxpayer to increase funding of  UMAss football.  They would have to bring in consultants who cook the Federal books to even have the nerve to say it would break even in the next ten years.  Wait for a stronger economy then go for it.  
    Posted by listen2[/QUOTE]

Um, interest rates will be higher in a stronger economy. They are close to zero now. So it is either lose money or break even or possibly make money but keep football. Also construction labor costs are cheaper at 10% unemployment than they are at 4%.

You are not even a novice economist.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox01. Show redsox01's posts

[QUOTE]I'm changing my mind from when this discussion first started a couple months ago.  With URI downgrading their program, and the CAA moving south all the way to Georgia.  Making the jump to FBS even in the MAC makes more and more sense.  The MAC competition will only be a little higher than the CAA.  The travel will be no more than the CAA.  The MAC may also allow UMass a few years to get their stadium situation fixed since MAC teams only average about 20,000 per game, whether it be upgrading or replacing McGuirk, or building a stadium in Northampton or Springfield.  If UMass competes and proves themself in the MAC it could get an invite to the Big East down the road especially if the Big East splits along basketball/football and baskeball only lines.
    Posted by Minutemen429[/QUOTE]

Now you are thinking!!! End Zones - even cheap temporary  ones would bring McGuirk over 20k -- sure the place will look like a mini Scheaffer Stadium but the surrounding scenery is nice and aesthetics can be improved over time.

Sections
Shortcuts