The Official "Fire Derek Kellogg" Open Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox01. Show redsox01's posts

Re: The Official "Fire Derek Kellogg" Open Thread

I will also, for perspective, point out the case of Missouri State. Last year they won the CIT after going 11-20 the year before. This year they won their conference (regular season) and will go to either go to the dance or the NIT.

If DK can continue to improve the team, hopefully, the whining will stop.

His recruits have gotten a lot of minutes for sophomores, I expect much more in the next two years. Gaffney wasn't a world beater in his Junior year, Lasme and Freeman didn't get us to the post-season in their first two years.

The team took one step at a time under Cal too if you remember. It didn't happen overnight.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

In Response to Re: The Official "Fire Derek Kellogg" Open Thread:
    [QUOTE]My hope is they get in to the CBI or CIT this year, get some more time under Jesse Morgan and Raphael Putney's belts against mid-level competition. More, win or go home games may help to build the team. It would also be better than getting no invites -- especially for recruiting purposes. A little momentum is better than none. To quote Rick Pitino, "All the Negativity on This (thread) S#@%$!" Instant success is hard to come by. Go DK - GO UMass!!! Hope to see you all at the Dayton game!!! : />
    Posted by redsox01[/QUOTE]

If Derek Kellogg's team plays more "do or die" games like they did in tonight's game agaisnt Dayton, then the team is better off staying home and saving $35,000 plus travel costs. Derek is a nice guy, which is why he should host a fan forum and explain to us where he wants to take the program and why we the fans should give him another season to turn it around. He has alot of explaining to do for this season's effort.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fleetian51. Show fleetian51's posts

Red, as I noted elsewhere, no way he gets canned this year nor should he in my opinon. He and McCucheon need to sit down, discuss all of the ugliness and how next year will be it if not. The DDM and Wahlberg need to be canned. I wouldn't be unhappy with a 15-15 record if they played hard and were simply beaten by better teams, but they have laid down in a bunch of games to bad competition and I don't know why.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

[QUOTE]Red, as I noted elsewhere, no way he gets canned this year nor should he in my opinon. He and McCucheon need to sit down, discuss all of the ugliness and how next year will be it if not. The DDM and Wahlberg need to be canned. I wouldn't be unhappy with a 15-15 record if they played hard and were simply beaten by better teams, but they have laid down in a bunch of games to bad competition and I don't know why.
    Posted by fleetian51[/QUOTE]

McCucheon just announced Kellogg is coming back. Kellogg should still hold a Town Hall-style meeting in the Cage to explain to us why we should give him another year. Kellogg is a nice guy and all, but niceness alone won't get fans to show up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrapperdapper. Show wrapperdapper's posts

Blame the state of Mass leaders and the UMass admin dept for having UMass continue to play in the minor leagues vs the neighboring big brother Big East and ACC.  If you are a stud player with some intestinal fortitude and UConn recruits you, SU recruits you or UMass recruits you...are you going to want to play a big conference game vs. Xavier/Temple or Richmond on CBS Sports network or are you going to want to have your friends and family watch you prime time with Rafftery/McDonough at the mic against Georgetown/Pitt or Johnny?  UMass got lucky once by hitting a stud coach when he was 29 years old....since he left, the UMass program (which played Pitt, WVa, Penn State and Rutgers when I was there) has floundered in mediocrity.  Don't blame DK, he is in a recruiting sink hole with other schools in legit conferences surrounding his house! 

How a progressive state that is proud to boast of the best in the country Healthcare, Innovation, Biology and education allows it's flagship University to not even be D1 in Football and flounder in a third tier sports conference remains a mystery.(Apologies of course to high revenue sports of Lax,swimming and softball)  As soon as BC ditched the Big East for a big paycheck, UMass and the state should have pursued heavily the power conferences like the Big East and dare I say "Dare, DAre" the Big Ten!!!  If Nebraska can join the Big Ten with their huge TV market consisting of 1.2 million state residents, why wouldn't the Big Ten want to be associated with a TOP 5 TV market in the land???  To Be Big, you have to Think BIG!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

[QUOTE]Blame the state of Mass leaders and the UMass admin dept for having UMass continue to play in the minor leagues vs the neighboring big brother Big East and ACC.  If you are a stud player with some intestinal fortitude and UConn recruits you, SU recruits you or UMass recruits you...are you going to want to play a big conference game vs. Xavier/Temple or Richmond on CBS Sports network or are you going to want to have your friends and family watch you prime time with Rafftery/McDonough at the mic against Georgetown/Pitt or Johnny?  UMass got lucky once by hitting a stud coach when he was 29 years old....since he left, the UMass program (which played Pitt, WVa, Penn State and Rutgers when I was there) has floundered in mediocrity.  Don't blame DK, he is in a recruiting sink hole with other schools in legit conferences surrounding his house!  How a progressive state that is proud to boast of the best in the country Healthcare, Innovation, Biology and education allows it's flagship University to not even be D1 in Football and flounder in a third tier sports conference remains a mystery.(Apologies of course to high revenue sports of Lax,swimming and softball)  As soon as BC ditched the Big East for a big paycheck, UMass and the state should have pursued heavily the power conferences like the Big East and dare I say "Dare, DAre" the Big Ten!!!  If Nebraska can join the Big Ten with their huge TV market consisting of 1.2 million state residents, why wouldn't the Big Ten want to be associated with a TOP 5 TV market in the land???  To Be Big, you have to Think BIG!!!
    Posted by wrapperdapper[/QUOTE]

The ACC and Big Ten are too much of a reach. The Big East is more realistic, but we have to get a real athletic director with vision. McCucheon should be fired because he didn't want to move the football program up until now, and Kellogg was his handpicked guy. UMass needs their own version of Jeremy Foley.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Re: The Official

[QUOTE]If DK can continue to improve the team, hopefully, the whining will stop. His recruits have gotten a lot of minutes for sophomores, I expect much more in the next two years. Gaffney wasn't a world beater in his Junior year, Lasme and Freeman didn't get us to the post-season in their first two years. The team took one step at a time under Cal too if you remember. It didn't happen overnight.
    Posted by redsox01[/QUOTE]

What do you mean, if he can "continue" to improve the team?  This third team was no better than his first. 

And looking at the season as a microcosm, it was no better at the end of the season than it was at the beginning. He downsized the schedule and loaded up on cupcakes early, to give the illusion of improvement, that is all. 

There is nothing in his resume to indicate more time is going turn it around, he's clueless. Absolutely clueless.  He's practically admitted it himself!

As for the "new players coming in" canard, puh-lease.  If he can't keep up with a Fordham or LaSalle with what he's got now, then Michael Freakin Jordan isn't going to help. Not when this coach is calling the shots. 

Gotta keep him another year,  cash is tight in Amherst these days,  but that doesn't mean we have to like it.

And the only time that Cal and Kellogg should ever be used in the same sentence is to mention that the lesser guy played for Cal, and worked for him. There is no other comparison. It took Cal 2 seasons to get a winning record, A10 tourney wins, and an NIT invitiation.  Kellogg still has not had a winning season.  14-15 vs D1 competition my friend.  Even if I spot you the D2 win, .500 is not a winning record either.  And Kellogg inherited a helluva lot more talent than Cal did. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Let's look at next season.  Since new players are clearly not able to do the job, according to DK defenders, we'll keep them out of the discussion.  Transfers need time to adjust too, so they don't count either.   We lost 4 to graduation, which leaves this core:

Terrell Vinson,  Javron Farrell,  Sampson Carter.

Putney looks promising, but this was only his first year, and then he only really played half a season. So by the logic of the DK crowd, we can't expect much from him either. He needs more time.

Then there's Freddie Riley, who spent most of the second half on the bench.  So he's only had 1.5 seasons too. He needs more time, except I'll be surprised if he comes back to UMass in the Fall.  He certainly did not improve with experience.

That's your core.  Does any sane person really think that we can't help but improve?   Ridiculous.  We're back to the usual place of hoping new guys contribute in a hurry, which rarely happens.  And that everyone that's supposed to return, does return, and improves, which also rarely happens.  And that  there are no injuries. Everything has to break just so.  

Forgive if I don't hold my breath.  I'd feel alot better if there was a massive overhaul of the coaching staff, starting with Wahlberg.  Otherwise only a masochist can bear to watch this team next season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Official "Fire Derek Kellogg" Open Thread : The ACC and Big Ten are too much of a reach. The Big East is more realistic, but we have to get a real athletic director with vision. McCucheon should be fired because he didn't want to move the football program up until now, and Kellogg was his handpicked guy. UMass needs their own version of Jeremy Foley.
    Posted by redbarchetta88[/QUOTE]

McCutcheon is not the problem.  He's been here since 2004.  In 2002 a study was conducted and recommended not moving to BCS.  Again in 2007, another study with the same recommendation.   Part of the issue was the stadium didn't meet minimum requirements. That requirement has now gone away,  along with the massive financial equipment that came with that.  

There has also been alot of churning and shifting among conferences the past couple of years.  There might be an opening in the MAC, where before there was nowhere to go.  Now is the time to do it, and he's moving on it.  Much of it is outside his control, including the budget, controlled by the MA Legislature,  and admittance to a BCS conference. 

Can't gig him on his BB hires either.  He fired Lappas, a win.  He hired Ford, another win.   Kellogg was worth a shot.  So far, not a win.  But firing him after 3 years would clearly be a mistake. We really have to give him about 5 years to get it together,  although it would be nice if McK pressured Kellogg to dump Wahlberg.  That guy is at least half the problem with the BB team right now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

Bruce Pearl may soon be available. It's tempting fate, but he did go to school in New England and has experience.

Sections
Shortcuts