UCONN IN HOCKEY EAST?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

UCONN IN HOCKEY EAST?

Posting to move college hockey discussions into their own space. Ucon management is ready  to bring the Huskies into the top level of collegiate hockey and why not? They play at the top level in most other sports (except lacrosse) now - I don't know what their on-campus venue is like, but the Hartford Civic Center (or whatever it's being called now) is a good alternative site. Donnnnn - learn a little more about hockey and you'll see why a lot of us like the collegiate game - very little fighting, no extended time for icing, a quick game with lots of appeal..Being a long -time (and rabid) UMASS fan, I'm more than ready to ssee the Minutemen and the Dogs of Storr(s) got at it several times a season!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Re: UCONN IN HOCKEY EAST?

I hear the real problem is the venue.  The Gov wants them in the XCEL center but hockey east rules really focus on campus locations.  I am not sure that XCEL is a long term solution

I am sure you know that UMASS gave up hockey for a time as the only rink was Orr at Amherst.  Talk about stupid; the one sport they could recruit easily in and they punt it.  Mullins coming on line was the savior of the program.Hockey came back in 1993

here is the link to that dark period in UMASS athletics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMass_Minutemen

Donn is ok; is willing to listen and someone who wants a real interaction.  It is a hard sport to pick up if you haven't played it so I don't hold that against him in that there is a lot more strategy than there appears

The Insane Clown Posse will be along soon to pollute this thread

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

If HE was looking for a 12th team, it would be good to know who is interested.  Now that ND has  been admitted (which makes little sense but should actually be fun for awhile) HE might benefit from a 12th team.  Who is interested, and who makes best sense for the league?  There used to be a regional slant to the league, but that has clearly changed.

I think it would be good for UConn to join, and a few new rivalries might be born. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

In Response to Re: UCONN IN HOCKEY EAST?:
    I hear the real problem is the venue.  The Gov wants them in the XCEL center but hockey east rules really focus on campus locations.  I am not sure that XCEL is a long term solution I am sure you know that UMASS gave up hockey for a time as the only rink was Orr at Amherst.  Talk about stupid; the one sport they could recruit easily in and they punt it.  Mullins coming on line was the savior of the program.Hockey came back in 1993 here is the link to that dark period in UMASS athletics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMass_Minutemen Donn is ok; is willing to listen and someone who wants a real interaction.  It is a hard sport to pick up if you haven't played it so I don't hold that against him in that there is a lot more strategy than there appears The Insane Clown Posse will be along soon to pollute this thread
    Posted by provpats

Went to a Whale game at Xcel cednter a few weeks ago - a cavernous place when there's a crowd of less than 5000 and the upper levels are not curtained off! I have (fond) memories of Orr rink - small, cold, kinda dark, but it was UMass hockey ..... You may have a point about not understanding a sport of you don't play it: Sure as hell still don't understand soccer or field hockey! But then, there are some coaches who couldn't play a sport worth a damn who turned into decent coaches -- when we next convene the Board of Hockey Education we will pray for Donnnn to find enlightenment as to the true purpose of ice's existence!

Sections
Shortcuts