UMass Basketball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Re: UMass Basketball

In response to GO47's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ESPN.com posted this last night around 7:00 PM:

UMass' Williams draws more raves

After his 32-point, 15-assist performance against BYU, UMass point guard Chaz Williams was named Atlantic 10 player of the week for the second time this season.

Williams shared this week's honor with George Washington's Maurice Creek.

For the week, Williams averaged a double-double with 22.0 points and 11.5 assists in wins at Eastern Michigan and vs. BYU -- the Minutemen's first games as a ranked team in 15 years. Creek averaged 21.5 points on 59 percent shooting, highlighted by 25 points and the game-winning jump shot with 0.6 seconds remaining to defeat Maryland, 77-75.

Williams also received some accolades from ESPN, as Dick Vitale named him his player of the week and Fran Fraschilla ranked him No. 4 on his list of the country's top seniors (Insider content).

Meanwhile, the 8-0 Minutemen moved up two spots to No. 20 in the USA Today coaches poll, while they fell one spot to No. 22 in the AP poll.

After a week off for exams, UMass is back in action Saturday afternoon at 3 against Northern Illinois at the Mullins Center.

[/QUOTE]

UMASS, UMASS/Lowell Hockey all the way, except my Huskies are making a statement UNDEFEATED....  

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

This from the UMass Amherst web site:

UMass Athletics Encouraging Fans To #FillTheEndZone Against Northern Illinois

Special ticket discount available for end zone seating.

Dec. 10, 2013

AMHERST, Mass. - With students away on winter break following exams, UMass Athletics is offering two special ticket options for this Saturday's men's basketball game against Northern Illinois at 3 PM in the Mullins Center.

The Minutemen are looking to #FillTheEndZone by offering a special $8 general admission ticket in the student section.

Our student turnout has been great this year and we need our fans to help provide that same intensity in Saturday's nationally televised game. This is a great opportunity for fans to be close to the action and to be just as rowdy as the Mullins Militia! You can order your special #FillTheEndZone tickets by going online and using the promo code `UMASS1' (all CAPS & No. 1). This special offer will expire on Friday at 3 PM so buy now!

Additionally, UMass Athletics also invites non-UMass undergraduate students (with valid ID) to join us on Saturday for free. Show your ID and get a free student section ticket. This special offer will last all winter break giving those students the opportunity to check out other home basketball and hockey games from Dec. 14 through Jan. 14, 2014.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Just how bad does Buffoon College's basketball program suck? Well pretty bad against Maryland's Dez Wells, as he alone took OMG Hanlon to Kindergarden School where he got he got lost in ambiguity.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 82ndAB. Show 82ndAB's posts

In response to cheeroh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just how bad does Buffoon College's basketball program suck? Well pretty bad against Maryland's Dez Wells, as he alone took OMG Hanlon to Kindergarden School where he got he got lost in ambiguity.

[/QUOTE]

Managed to see the game, if you could call it a game.

Pretty sad team up there in the Snow and bitter cold. Queens journey away from the cold rust belt seem to be a big time disappointment, as with this coaching staff.

Yea right, a flunky ACC soft yardage running back with the Doak Walker?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

Will our unfortunate ones have a hard time with URI?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

Rankings taken from ESPN -

2014 NCAA Men's Basketball Rankings - Week 7 (Dec. 16)

AP Top 25:

22 - Massachusetts

USA Today Coaches Poll:

20 - Massachusetts

2013-14 RPI updated daily:

2 - Massachusetts

As mentioned RPI is a similar tool that determines who makes it into March madness. Great start for the Minutemen. Check out the link on ESPN for UMass RPI:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/teamId/113

As mentioned on Boston.com, 3 difficult games coming up.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/extras/colleges_blog/2013/12/sullys_court_in_3.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

Big East might be deepest conference in nation.

Who are the big dogs this season? Check out all the conference races.

As we head into the beginning of conference play in the newly reconstituted Big East Conference in two weeks, how do the teams stack up

First, some context: Is the new Big East as good overall as the old Big East? Of course not. You lose national powers like Syracuse, Louisville, UConn, Pitt and Notre Dame, and there’s no way you’ll measure up to what you were, at least not right off the bat.

But I have a theory about the new Big East. No, it doesn’t have a single dominant team that will be a guaranteed top-10 mainstay in the national polls throughout conference play (though you’d be silly to think Villanova doesn’t have a shot). But I think the Big East is the deepest conference in the nation, and it would surprise me if fewer than six of the 10 Big East teams are playing in the NCAA tournament.

I can feel the heads spinning along the eastern seaboard, where the Atlantic Coast Conference entered this season billing itself as perhaps the best basketball conference ever. So just one stat to make the heads of Tobacco Road and environs spin a bit faster: The Big East is third in conference RPI. The ACC is fifth. (RPI is an obviously imperfect metric. But still.)

Tops in conference RPI is the Big 12, and while I think the upper echelon of the Big 12 is the toughest in the nation, the lower reaches of the conference reach pretty low (looking at you, Texas Tech, TCU and Kansas State). I will not argue with anyone saying the Big Ten is the nation’s deepest conference, but I will point out that the bottom of the Big Ten still has a long way to go.

So there’s our context. And it all leads to a very academic-sounding, on-this-hand-but-then-on-the-other-hand answer to how I see the Big East stacking up so far. Judging the top of this conference is easy so far (undefeated, top-10 ranked Villanova wears the early crown), but after that? It’s all very much in flux.

And it will all change. As one Big East assistant coach told me, “There are a bunch of teams who will be better in league play because their players will understand their roles.”

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to undking's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Big East might be deepest conference in nation.

Who are the big dogs this season? Check out all the conference races.

As we head into the beginning of conference play in the newly reconstituted Big East Conference in two weeks, how do the teams stack up

First, some context: Is the new Big East as good overall as the old Big East? Of course not. You lose national powers like Syracuse, Louisville, UConn, Pitt and Notre Dame, and there’s no way you’ll measure up to what you were, at least not right off the bat.

But I have a theory about the new Big East. No, it doesn’t have a single dominant team that will be a guaranteed top-10 mainstay in the national polls throughout conference play (though you’d be silly to think Villanova doesn’t have a shot). But I think the Big East is the deepest conference in the nation, and it would surprise me if fewer than six of the 10 Big East teams are playing in the NCAA tournament.

I can feel the heads spinning along the eastern seaboard, where the Atlantic Coast Conference entered this season billing itself as perhaps the best basketball conference ever. So just one stat to make the heads of Tobacco Road and environs spin a bit faster: The Big East is third in conference RPI. The ACC is fifth. (RPI is an obviously imperfect metric. But still.)

Tops in conference RPI is the Big 12, and while I think the upper echelon of the Big 12 is the toughest in the nation, the lower reaches of the conference reach pretty low (looking at you, Texas Tech, TCU and Kansas State). I will not argue with anyone saying the Big Ten is the nation’s deepest conference, but I will point out that the bottom of the Big Ten still has a long way to go.

So there’s our context. And it all leads to a very academic-sounding, on-this-hand-but-then-on-the-other-hand answer to how I see the Big East stacking up so far. Judging the top of this conference is easy so far (undefeated, top-10 ranked Villanova wears the early crown), but after that? It’s all very much in flux.

And it will all change. As one Big East assistant coach told me, “There are a bunch of teams who will be better in league play because their players will understand their roles.”

[/QUOTE]

Interesting article. Here's the link to the entire article if anyone is interested in the Big East:

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/forgrave-big-east-might-be-deepest-conference-in-nation-121613

What I found interesting was the Providence portion of the article. They play UMass on the 28th one of the 3 difficult games coming up for UMass.

"3. Providence (8-2): I had expected the season-ending injury to point guard Kris Dunn to impact Providence’s chances in league play, but coaches I spoke with thought differently.

“It will definitely hurt, but I see them as being one of the better teams in the league,” one coach told me. “They have good senior play, and when Brandon Austin returns from suspension they will be really good,” said another. “Ed Cooley does a great job.”

While the Friars don’t have a signature win in non-conference play, they’ll have a chance to get one against UMass in their final non-conference game before league play begins. Senior Bryce Cotton, averaging 18.6 points and five assists, is one of seven upperclassmen on Cooley’s team. That experience might be why one coach told me he saw Providence as a team where players are seeming to accept what their roles are very early in the season. That matters. Just ask struggling freshman-dominated teams like Kansas and Kentucky."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

Let's not confuse Philly U, and UPenn. Little BC trolls' beat a Community College. Being from Philly, UPenn has an excellent Basketball program, as Temple, and St. Joe's.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

UMass 10-0!

Nice aritcle about Chaz in ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10154368/chaz-williams-remembers-father-playing-daughter-day-life?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Go UMass!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

[QUOTE]

Let's not confuse Philly U, and UPenn. Little BC trolls' beat a Community College. Being from Philly, UPenn has an excellent Basketball program, as Temple, and St. Joe's.

[/QUOTE]
    Wrong again, Gipper. Maybe UPenn is an excellent program by your standards. UPenn is 48-65 since '09, 2-6 this year. Sorry GO47, didn't mean to jump your post, but this guy is a total idiot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to indians1948's comment:

[QUOTE]

Wrong again, Gipper. Maybe UPenn is an excellent program by your standards. UPenn is 48-65 since '09, 2-6 this year. Sorry GO47, didn't mean to jump your post, but this guy is a total idiot.

[/QUOTE]

No problem. But it would be nice to see more UMass fans and their post here!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I think the problem is with the editors of the college sports page. If you look at it, the lead stories are BC losing to Maryland (2 weeks ago), can Williams win the Heisman? (no, he didn't last week), and Harvard dominates Yale (also several weeks old, and who was the last Harvard fan to post on this forum?). With sidebars of Best Baller Ever (from last spring), BC wins Beanpot (last Feb.), and BC wins Frozen Four (last year). Nobody is managing the page, and while I'm a BC fan, I'd like to see more widespread coverage of college sports that might generate some real discussion, as opposed to BC bashing, and inane comments about the Jesuits, second collections, etc, from the trolls.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I think the problem is with the editors of the college sports page. If you look at it, the lead stories are BC losing to Maryland (2 weeks ago), can Williams win the Heisman? (no, he didn't last week), and Harvard dominates Yale (also several weeks old, and who was the last Harvard fan to post on this forum?). With sidebars of Best Baller Ever (from last spring), BC wins Beanpot (last Feb.), and BC wins Frozen Four (last year). Nobody is managing the page, and while I'm a BC fan, I'd like to see more widespread coverage of college sports that might generate some real discussion, as opposed to BC bashing, and inane comments about the Jesuits, second collections, etc, from the trolls.

[/QUOTE]

There are some responses to one of the AP articles today you may enjoy reading:

http://www.boston.com/2013/12/19/umass-beats-ohio/JLMp9vla98XAINIuFy7zEI/story.html?comments=all#comments

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree more IRISH coverage Wampum Boy!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I don't know about that, Gipper, but more widespread coverage of college sports in general (i.e. less BC, more UMass etc.) would be nice. I exchanged e-mails with sports editor Matt Pepin, who said that the college page just doesn't generate much traffic, proving once again that Boston is a pro-sports town. However, it looks like they've already made some changes, which bodes well for the future. Already looking forward to facing the Irish in 2015 at Fenway. Go Eagles!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

Boston University shocks Maryland 83-77!!!
    While BC plays D3 Philly U and Conte?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I don't know about that, Gipper, but more widespread coverage of college sports in general (i.e. less BC, more UMass etc.) would be nice. I exchanged e-mails with sports editor Matt Pepin, who said that the college page just doesn't generate much traffic, proving once again that Boston is a pro-sports town. However, it looks like they've already made some changes, which bodes well for the future. Already looking forward to facing the Irish in 2015 at Fenway. Go Eagles!

[/QUOTE]

Little to do with your time unemployed with the double Eagle troll?

Can't fix a Globe supported sports blog with a suck BC athletic program. Shreveport doesn't cut it ($$$$$$).   

What are the Eaglettes going to do pray for a good ACC Baseball season? Their basketball program seems to be under fire with sorry dude Wonder Boy, and Hanlon as a bust.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Can't fix a Globe supported sports blog with a suck BC athletic program. Shreveport doesn't cut it ($$$$$$).   

What are the Eaglettes going to do pray for a good ACC Baseball season? Their basketball program seems to be under fire with sorry dude Wonder Boy, and Hanlon as a bust.

[/QUOTE]
    Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You need to take your remarks about BC to the BC forum and stick with UMass in this one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

Bad lost for the Minutemen yesterday. We all didn't like the bad call by the refs towards the end of the game but it wasn't the real reason they lost. Coach Kellogg mentioned that they took 15 3 point shots and only made 1. You can't win basketball games at that level with that shooting percentage.

Also, they missed at least a dozen layups, and lots of foul shots. They know they gave this game to FSU and are eager to get back on the court to work on their mistakes. This might be one of those games that's a wake up call. We'll find out when they play Providence on the 28th.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 82ndAB. Show 82ndAB's posts

Alabama boys can play good Basketball...  hey Fairy Queens?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 82ndAB. Show 82ndAB's posts

[QUOTE]

Wig Warm Boy calls the Globe to rant on the BC not receiving press?

BC in the Shreveport, La Toilet bowl as with its' B-Ball program having a premature melt down at 4-7, as Boston.com recants all prior press releases on Wonder Boy's greatness in recruiting.

[/QUOTE]

Hard to say if the Snow Queens can figure out the road to Ft. Polk, Louisiana with that preposterous  Williams, the fraud of the Ice Belt?

Sections
Shortcuts