UMass Hoops Fills Out Roster for 2011-12

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox01. Show redsox01's posts

UMass Hoops Fills Out Roster for 2011-12

Word has it the Minutemen have added Trey Davis, a scoring PG from Texas that decomitted from fellow A10 school George Washington. Davis is rated as an 82 and considered a "shoot-first" point guard.

While fans were entertaining dreams of landing Arizona transfer Lamont Jones for that slot, it was reported that he did not visit campus Tuesday as expected.

Apparently, Derek Kellogg took that as a signal that it was time to get the best available point guard to fill out the last scholarship on the roster. I expect to see Davis back up Chazz Williams and also share time with Junior Javorn Farrel, who saw time at the 1 last year.

This will be the first year where Kellogg will have a team of upperclassmen that he recruited. Additionally, DK has some role players and walk-ons that may prove valuable.

I expect to see highly-regarded Power Forward Cady Lallane to break into the starting lineup. 

Here is my opinion of the likely depth chart:

C - Sean Carter, Cady Lallane, Matt Hill, Sampson Carter, Andrew McCarthy
    PF - Cady Lallane, Terrell Vinson, Maxie Esho, Sampson Carter, Trey Lang
    SF - Terrell Vinson, Raphael Putney, Javorn Farrell, Sampson Carter
    SG - Freddie Riley, Jesse Morgan, Jordan Laguerre, Javorn Farrell, Jordan Couture
    PG - Chazz Williams, Javorn Farrell, Trey Davis

Yeah, it might be a confusing depth chart but I expect a lot of match-up specific line-ups. Also see potential for certain combinations to be alligned. DK likes a lot of substitutions. I'm growing okay with that, even if it is hard to get a feel for his motives at times. He knows more in his fingernail about college hoops than I do in my whole body.

I would, however, like to see a bigger front court. Would like to see Lallane and Vinson spend a lot of time on the court, with the upperclassman helping the rookie to adjust. Vinson was a bit undersized for the 4 and could serve better at the three.

Still expect to see Sean Carter get 25 to 30 minutes at Center in his senior year. 

Would be interested to see groupings with Esho, Putney and Farrell. The three are familiar with one another as both Putney and Esho played with Farrell before college as well as last year (though Esho was a red-shirt as Putney was the year before).

I see most of the PG minutes going to Chazz Williams but I believe Farrell will see a lot of minutes in that role. Trey Davis will have to earn his minutes as a freshman and his "shoot first" mentality will surely be tempered by Kellogg.

The good news: Depth, Experience, and Role-Playing

We finally have the ability to put a line-up on the floor that has a lot of experience playing at the A-10 level. The growing pains of the last two seasons should begin to pay off. This maturing team has learned to play in a variety of offensive schemes, has been coached to play with intensity on defense, has players that can cause match-up problems, and even has reserves with size and/or experience that can be role players and fill in when needed (Hill, Sampson, McCarthy, Lang). Note: Lang was originally a scholarship player under Travis Ford and 7'1" McCarthy was offered a D2 scholarship after playing AAU ball. 

The Bad News: 

It is not clear who will be the leader to make up for the offense lost when players such as Anthony Gurley and Rickey Harris graduated. 

A lot will depend on the effectiveness of shooting guards Freddie Riley and Jesse Morgan. However, I expect both to benefit by Chazz William's ability to penetrate and kick out. 

The team will have more big bodies on the same team than they have had in a long time. The back court is less experienced but should not be a source of major concern. It may be difficult for DK to get everyone minutes and convincing a player to red-shirt is againg possible (Laguerre?), unfortunately there is no obvious choice.

Schedule Outlook: 

So far the OOC schedule is still in the works. Rumors have kicked around that they will play a game at the Cage (possibly the opener) and 2 in Springfield. An away game at BC is likely. Davidson and Central Ct. should be visiting Amherst to finish home and home agreements. Siena is rumored to be coming in to play at Springfield (as their conference will play their tournament at that facility, those teams are most-likely interested in getting a feel for the place). 

A Thanksgiving tournament in the Bahamas is on tap as well that would bring four games against pretty high caliber competition. Nicely, the possiblility now exists that UMass could play UConn. The tournament is called The Battle for Atlantis. Possible opponents include (I believe): UConn, Kansas State, Utah, College of Charleson, UNC - Asheville, and Harvard.

So far I have heard nothing about a game in the Garden. However, Calipari did mention that he would possibly play UMass two years ago at a charity event. Maybe we can finally get Kentucky to come to Beantown after they pulled out of a game there a few years back. 

Wouldn't mind seeing some MAC teams come to the Bill this year, if they want to start that thing a year early. There are MAC teams looking for games. Would be nice to see Miami-Ohio. Anyway, the $2 million they are getting for playing the Atlantis thing could allow them to bring in some nice opponents. Would like to see Army and/or Navy (maybe even Air Force as we have a bunch of bases in the state!) as the military academies draw big crowds across the country.

In Closing:
    My pick is for a much improved team. I expect better shooting and less dependence on one star player. I think a reasonable goal is a win or two in the A10 tournament, a solid 18 wins and an NIT berth. 

If you look at how the group that are now Juniors have played in the past two years on a game by game basis, it is easy to see the development. The first year they played at a level that would have won the NEC - not much to brag about but they were freshmen. Last year they seemed to grow a bit more, perhaps kicking it up to America East level of play. This year they need to be able to be an A10 or at least Colonial League level. Hoping for even-better development the following year - despite losing Sean Carter & Matt Hill.

Coming full circle, you can see why I think Cady needs to get experience right away. We also need to get another big guy or two for down the road.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox01. Show redsox01's posts

Re: UMass Hoops Fills Out Roster for 2011-12

In Response to Re: UMass Hoops Fills Out Roster for 2011-12:

Hey Slim,

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Walberg leave. There was a rumor he might be asked to be head coach of a D1 program on the west coast, I think San Jose State??

Vance, I agree, came in with his offense and it hasn't really worked yet. I've seen the team work out under his direction and his techniques didn't look very easy to absorb. But I will say that I think the last two years that the players have learned a lot from him as well as from Derek. I think VW gets blamed for a lot of things that may or may not be his fault. Nobody really wants to blame DK because he is a UMass grad and we remember him fondly.

What I will say is that the team has learned several offensive schemes last year to complement the DDM. I dont think DK is married to DDM and now will make more opponent based adjustments to game plan and lineup. That is one reason I am enthusiastic about this year's team. But, as you know, I see the world through maroon colored glasses.

Chazz is better than Gary C, right out of the gates, and I expect Cady to have more to offer than Big City. Don't know if Riley, Laguerre, or Morgan can make up for the loss of Gurley but I think one shall rise to the top of the rotation.

Just hope they can pull it together this year. A lot of A10 teams have lost key players and/or coaches. So far we remain intact after last year. Hope that ends up worth something in the standings at the end of next year. 

DK has a lot of heat on him right now. Hope for a good year.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oleme. Show oleme's posts

Are they still going to run that mickey mouse offense?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

If Bryant can do it UMASS can, perhaps some tune up games with the dead men at the Heights their going nowhere fast!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Let's bring MIT into the equation whose athletic director is seeing the light ...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

well UMASS sports look like MIT compared to the academic results evidenced by UCONN

UCONN NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONS (basketball)!

with three fewer scholarships and proud possessors of an 893 APR

now that is something to be proud of!!

why no sig mush mouth??  Something happen?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox01. Show redsox01's posts

[QUOTE]well UMASS sports look like MIT compared to the academic results evidenced by UCONN UCONN NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONS (basketball)! with three fewer scholarships and proud possessors of an 893 APR now that is something to be proud of!! why no sig mush mouth??  Something happen?
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]

Maybe he is trying to read the one book that Kemba Walker read in his life???

One book and Kemba finishes in 3 years? Wonder what his major was, Applied Basketball!Tongue out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

Kellogg better make the NIT at bare minimum or he should be fired.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: UMass Hoops Fills Out Roster for 2011-12 : Maybe he is trying to read the one book that Kemba Walker read in his life??? One book and Kemba finishes in 3 years? Wonder what his major was, Applied Basketball!
    Posted by redsox01[/QUOTE]
    UCONN NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!
    Tough to swallow isn't it?

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gspBison. Show gspBison's posts

[QUOTE]If Bryant can do it UMASS can, perhaps some tune up games with the dead men at the Heights their going nowhere fast!
    Posted by UofNDKing[/QUOTE]

NDKlown: Can you get Mom to help distinguish between "their" & "they're"; if we're going to snicker at your puerile posts, at least pay attention to grammar.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox01. Show redsox01's posts

[QUOTE]UCONN is a preferred University in public education. Sadly the 17 Community Colleges have weakened the UMASS system with politics as everybody gets in today who receive an associate's degree from one of the CCs! [/QUOTE]

Totally untrue. If UConn is preferred it is because their grad school is the only one in New England to offer a 4.3 GPA for grad students. That is embarrassing!!

As far as UMass, you need to learn how to read. The CC plan is for Amherst and Lowell and doesn't guarantee admission for all CC students - Only those with high GPAs. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

well first of all mentioning UCONN with those other schools is such a joke from an academic standpoint it is not even worth talking about.  Those schools stand alone.  However let's look at the 2009 admission statistics

UCONN       UMASS
    Critical Reading     550/640     520/630
    Math                   580/670     540/650
    ACT                     25/29          23/28

The splits refer to the 25th and 75th percentiles respectively.  It is a push between the two schools

As far as the CC kids I find your comments insulting at best and racist at worst.  Many kids in CCs do not for one reason or another have the ability to go to college full-time and work or do other things so they can get to school. This is much harder than one thinks.  I think they deserve credit for doing this

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox01. Show redsox01's posts

[QUOTE]well first of all mentioning UCONN with those other schools is such a joke from an academic standpoint it is not even worth talking about.  Those schools stand alone.  However let's look at the 2009 admission statistics                          UCONN       UMASS Critical Reading     550/640     520/630 Math                   580/670     540/650 ACT                     25/29          23/28 The splits refer to the 25th and 75th percentiles respectively.  It is a push between the two schools As far as the CC kids I find your comments insulting at best and racist at worst.  Many kids in CCs do not for one reason or another have the ability to go to college full-time and work or do other things so they can get to school. This is much harder than one thinks.  I think they deserve credit for doing this
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]

You give no standard deviation, so we are unable to test whether the scores are significantly different from one another. We also don't know if there is skewness. Perhaps one has larger right tail, etc.. You just give two percentiles.

Or you can look at the Times of London Top-200 World Ranking (a broader group of factors), UMass comes in at #56 in the world and UConn not in the list at all.

Go look at the Times of London World University Reputation Ranking. UMass #19 and UConn not in the list at all.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

I did not have any more statistical information than what I presented but my point was more around the insult whr perpetrated on the CC kids.  Many are hardworking, trying to better themselves and this nitwit turns it into an assault on them.  That is what is wrong with him

as far as the rankings, any survey that puts UMASS above Duke and Columbia is pretty suspect to me

and by the way here are the requirements for UCONN transfers

• Enroll at a Connecticut community college
    • Apply to the Guaranteed Admission Program with 16 or fewer transferable credits
    • Earn an associate degree in a Liberal Arts Transfer Program within five years
    • Achieve a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0
    • Plan to earn a bachelor degree in a Liberal Arts & Sciences program at UConn

If the CC systems are such junk then there is really not much difference between a 2.5 and a 3.0.  Or is the CT CC system of unparalled execllence that they are immediate superstars at UCONN?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

Well we've gone to UMASS Hoops to GPAs to everything else but the subject matter and who really cares? Happy to know UND admissions would reject all of the above.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

[QUOTE]redsox I can't thank you enough for introducing that UConn loser into this thread.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

UMass Amherst chancellor Robert Holub, whose leadership of the state’s flagship college reportedly was found wanting by a university committee, will step down in one year.

Gather UMASS will need to get some help not only in academic leadership but basketball as well!
    UCONN NCAA National Champions!

Sections
Shortcuts