UMass' Road to the 2013 NCAA Tournament

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

UMass' Road to the 2013 NCAA Tournament

The biggest emphasis the Selection Committee placed on teams getting in the field was stength of schedule, especially the nonconference strength of schedule. That's why Iona (43) made the field while Drexel (223) stayed home. Especially with Temple leaving after next seaon it's imperative Kellogg schedules well or risk another trip to the NIT after a 20 win season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fleetian51. Show fleetian51's posts

Re: UMass' Road to the 2013 NCAA Tournament

Beating Miami and Florida state and not loosing to URI once would have punched UMass' ticket. 

BC was also absolutely terrible this year. Generally playing them doesn't hurt the RPI.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

Hopefully this is a start to better years in Amherst - this time was interesting and has a lot of potential. Go UMass!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zig2K. Show Zig2K's posts

Remember, because of Football joing the MAC, BB has to schedule 4 MAC games every year that FB is in that league. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Minutemen429. Show Minutemen429's posts

In Response to Re: UMass' Road to the 2013 NCAA Tournament:
    Remember, because of Football joing the MAC, BB has to schedule 4 MAC games every year that FB is in that league. 
    Posted by Zig2K

The MAC East is pretty decent and the MAC west is pretty bad.  Lets say we get two from each side, as long as the two MAC west teams replace Elon and NJIT it's still an improvement over this years schedule.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

This year was partly about saving Kellogg's job, and partly about giving this young team some confidence by scheduling some sure things early on.  Next season there is absolutely no reason to schedule an NJIT or Towson or any team that's going to be in the high 200, low 300 RPI band.   Towson never should have been on there this season,  they were clearly projected to be every bit as bad as they wound up.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII

Good post Slim - I agree that it's time to go back to the "Anybody, Anywhere" philosophy of the CalZone days .. looking forward to next year already!

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

Posted by Zig2K

That is true. Temple has the same restriction until the end of the upcoming season, but that didn't stop them from playing Duke, Purdue, and Villanova. Have the MAC teams replace NJIT and Central Connecticut. We don't have to go as far as "Anyone, Anywhere", but schedule someone to prep for A-10 play.

Also some depth is needed. They more than 2-3 bench players if they want to survive a 30+ game season.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fleetian51. Show fleetian51's posts

"Temple has the same restriction until the end of the upcoming season, but that didn't stop them from playing Duke, Purdue, and Villanova."

Red- did you pay attention to UMass' schedule this year AT ALL before making this comment?

UMass played Florida State (who beat Duke), BC (=Nova this year), Miami (bubble team), and Utah. Same number of BCS teams. What do you want?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

The road to 2013 begins tonight in Starkville, Mississippi - go UMass!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

In Response to Re: UMass' Road to the 2013 NCAA Tournament : The problem was mainly on the other end.  Especially Towson State.   They won 1 game the entire season, and nobody would have been surprised by that before the season began.  UMass has no business scheduling a team like that, ever. Ditto for the likes of NJIT. Even if the goal is cupcakes for breakfast to give a young team unaccostumed to winning a taste you should still be looking at high 100, low 200 caliper teams. If you can't deal with teams like that then you have bigger problems anyway.  Swapping NJIT and Towson with 200 RPI teams would've moved them up 10 spots in the RPI.  Not enough to dance, but it's half the battle.  They had enough big teams scheduled, if they beat them.  But that's the other issue, miss those 3 chances you don't have any others until A10 play begins.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

In Response to Re: UMass' Road to the 2013 NCAA Tournament :
    Posted by LOTHAR43

OK, NJIT was a mistake, especially since they've been so pathetic - it's like me picking on Donnnnnn ... but, Towson, well - the football team went from being the doormat of the CAA to a playoff team. Their basketball team, well who knows? All I'm saying is that a couple of years (not to mention a whole lotta corporate support) can turn a chump into a champ (to wit: UConn) />

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

Ohio is in the Sweet Sixteen. I look forward to seeing them at the Mullins next season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phenten. Show phenten's posts

I look fdw to some better teams coming to Amherst next season.  UMass needs (and can) prove they belong in the top 25 conversation fo r2013.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

Good posts red & phen - I'm looking forward to next season too!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 82ndAB. Show 82ndAB's posts

Ohio is in the Sweet Sixteen. I look forward to seeing them at the Mullins next season.
    Posted by redbarchetta88

I am a Spartan grad, went to CaseWestern nearby, and at OU they are crazy about this basketball team... Great story.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from phenten. Show phenten's posts

It would be great if Calipari/Kellogg would schedule a UMass-Kentucky game for 2013.  They could play it in Boston on national TV which would be a win-win for both teams. UMass gets a semi-home game and Kentucky gets to play in a big city and in an NBA arena. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

In Response to Re: UMass' Road to the 2013 NCAA Tournament : "picking on Donnnnn"?  is that what you call it?  Lothar, you make incomprehensible posts that is IF you can even get something out.  Most of your posts are the typical Lothar shooting blanks by replying to a post but not writing anything.  I understand most of the words you say but certainly not in the order you write them.  So if you spewing nonsenical retorts to me is "picking on me", please keep it up as your writing skills make Umass look pretty poor. Sample: Don:  Uconn played like garbage against Iowa St and seemed to not even care Lothar (if he can even figure the "reply to" button):  Are idiot Donn, Umass,  Go!  Of to Don Like I fuN make Then you expect us to even make sense of your comments!  too funny.  And to think in your simple mind YOU are making fun of ME is the best part.  thanks for the laugh Lothar, even if at your own expense.
    Posted by Donnnn

Getting under your skin , am I? Must be if you're resorting to making up my "quotes!" If you want to play the sarcasm game, understand that it's always a level playing field .................

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

In Response to Re: UMass' Road to the 2013 NCAA Tournament : no, i usually don't steep this low to debate a guy like you.  you are simply just low hanging fruit.  i am shocked you managed to reply and post words this time.  Usually it's 50/50.  modern technology lothar...
    Posted by Donnnn

It's OK Donnnnn - you "steep" tea, but you're probably able to "stoop" much lower. By the way, capitalize your sentenence's first word every time and also I (the personal pronoun).

Sections
Shortcuts