Womens hoops

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bac10. Show bac10's posts

Re: Womens hoops

In Response to Re: Womens hoops:
    In Response to Re: Womens hoops : Are we still talking women's hoops here? Just to throw some objectivity into the ongoing "discussion," the 2011 US News Ranking of top U.S. Universities shows BC at #31, tied with Brandeis and two behind Tufts at #29. BU, NU, and Suffolk didn't crack the top 50. All of the Ivies ranked above BC, along with 4 ACC schools (Duke, UNC, Virginia, and Wake), but only 2 BE schools (G'Town and ND).
    Posted by indians1948

Well, that's the point.  BC is a good school but being 31st in the rankings for national universities (at the undergraduate level and excluding liberal arts colleges) and fifth in the ACC does not match the level of congratulatory backslapping that often goes for sports commentary on this forum.

Also, the US News methodology heavily favors schools that are small but get a lot of applications, such as smaller urban schools like BC.  If you look at the Times Higher Education World Rankings which focus more on research and academic quality, BC does much worse.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bodacious. Show bodacious's posts

BC loses again. C'mon Gene pull the trigger on Coach Cawley.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

In Response to Re: Womens hoops : Well, that's the point.  BC is a good school but being 31st in the rankings for national universities (at the undergraduate level and excluding liberal arts colleges) and fifth in the ACC does not match the level of congratulatory backslapping that often goes for sports commentary on this forum. Also, the US News methodology heavily favors schools that are small but get a lot of applications, such as smaller urban schools like BC.  If you look at the Times Higher Education World Rankings which focus more on research and academic quality, BC does much worse.
    Posted by bac10

If the US News methodology "heavily favors schools that are small but get a lot of applications, such as smaller urban schools like BC", then where do UNC, UVA, Northwestern, Michigan, and UCLA fit into the results? Is Chestnut Hill considered an urban setting, or did you mean suburban, or are you just trying to down BC? Get in line. What is your point?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bac10. Show bac10's posts

In Response to Re: Womens hoops : If the US News methodology "heavily favors schools that are small but get a lot of applications, such as smaller urban schools like BC", then where do UNC, UVA, Northwestern, Michigan, and UCLA fit into the results? Is Chestnut Hill considered an urban setting, or did you mean suburban, or are you just trying to down BC? Get in line. What is your point?
    Posted by indians1948

It's a well-known fact among college administrators that the ratio of applicants to admissions, i.e. 'selectivity', is an important component of US News's methodology.  Many schools have even attempted to increase their number of applicants just to appear more selective.  BC is a good school in a place where many high school students would like to go to college--the greater Boston area--therefore they get tens of thousands of applicants but only accept 1/4 or 1/3 of them because they are smaller than say BU.  It's just one factor but it is a significant one that helps schools like Tufts, NYU, George Washington, Georgetown, etc.  It doesn't make them any worse academically but just demonstrates that there is not any real methodology that can accurately distinguish the #25 school from the #50 school.  

My ultimate point which you seemed to have missed, however, is that BC's top 40 rating among national universities for undergraduates according to one magazine is pretty thin gruel for many of the self-serving posts on this forum supposedly devoted to college sports.   

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

In Response to Re: Womens hoops : Could you ever imagine an obsecure, and unknown University as BC, often confused with BU, ever in your life time recruiting the following talent as The Ohio State University 2011-2012 Basketball team? And these trolls keep on preaching recognition which will never happen! Enjoy this list of successfull dominence in recruiting .... Build it they will come! 0 Jared Sullinger F 6-9 265 SO Columbus, OH 1 Deshaun Thomas F 6-7 225 SO Fort Wayne, IN 2 Jordan Sibert G 6-4 185 SO Cincinnati, OH 3 Shannon Scott G 6-1 180 FR Alpharetta, GA 4 Aaron Craft G 6-2 190 SO Findlay, OH 10 LaQuinton Ross F 6-8 225 FR Jackson, MS 12 Sam Thompson F 6-7 190 FR Chicago, IL 14 Alex Rogers G 6-2 195 JR Cincinnati, OH 15 J.D. Weatherspoon F 6-6 215 SO Columbus, OH 23 Amir Williams C 6-11 220 FR Birmingham, MI 30 Evan Ravenel F 6-8 260 JR Tampa, FL 32 Lenzelle Smith Jr. G 6-4 205 SO Zion, IL 44 William Buford G 6-6 220 SR Toledo, OH 55 Trey McDonald C 6-8 225 FR Battle Creek, MI
    Posted by whr

WHR, your spelling continues to baffle me. OBSECURE, DOMINENCE, come on. Buy a dictionary with some of the money you saved by not going to BC. You do make one point, though. BC will never recruit that kind of talent (except they did recruit Evan Ravenel, who transferred to OSU after Al Skinner left). Neither can Butler recruit that kind of talent, but they still made it to the Final Four two years in a row. Recruiting is only one part of the equation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

In Response to Re: Womens hoops : Yeah, yeah - you tell 'em Donnn.  Yeah, yeah BC sucks, BU and Suffolk are better.  Way to go Donnn.  Your bad Donnn.  UConn forever. 
    Posted by Fukowi

That's what I like to hear Fuquaman and never forget it BC sucks!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fukowi. Show Fukowi's posts

In Response to Re: Womens hoops : That's what I like to hear Fuquaman and never forget it BC sucks!
    Posted by cheeroh

yeah, yeah - I'm Cheeroh - I'm a husky - look at my picture man - I live for UConn - I went to college - and I hate BC - Wuff, Wuff - I'm a Husky - Gooble Gobble - Gooble Gobble - One of Us One of Us.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

In Response to Re: Womens hoops : yeah, yeah - I'm Cheeroh - I'm a husky - look at my picture man - I live for UConn - I went to college - and I hate BC - Wuff, Wuff - I'm a Husky - Gooble Gobble - Gooble Gobble - One of Us One of Us.
    Posted by Fukowi

Surely your not sceen name, a loser? Glad you came aboard the right train!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bodacious. Show bodacious's posts

I wonder if GDF is "gun shy", about firing another coach. (Jags, Skinner) Crawley is in her 4th year, and they look worse than ever. She needs to go.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bodacious. Show bodacious's posts

Fire Coach Cawley. PLEASE

Sections
Shortcuts