How does Massachusetts Football Compare?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannypoon. Show dannypoon's posts

Re: How does Massachusetts Football Compare?

In 2010 Lawrence Academy was ranked number 1 in the country for private school football.

But the ISL didn't allow the team to play Don Bosco ranked second in the nation because they don't care about football.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 112358. Show 112358's posts

People can’t compare MA football on a National level because our top teams won't compete outside a very small group. Only Mansfield seeks out the top opponent and will play anyone any where. Over the past seven years they have played the #1 school in NY (Aquinas in Rochester and lost badly) and the #6 school in NY (Christian Brothers and won). They also lost a very close game to the # 2 school in Ohio (St Edwards) and beat other top ranked teams from NH, CA, and CT.

Until teams like Everett, BC, Brockton and Xaverian stop playing with themselves and play other top local and national teams we will never know if Mass football is any good.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 112358. Show 112358's posts

In Response to Re: How does Massachusetts Football Compare?:
    Everett High finished #22 in the country in the USA Today poll last year. The Crimson Tide  could play with most teams in most states.
    Posted by TheEyeintheSky

Then why dont they? They play the same teams every year. Try playing a diificult out of state team or maybe a top non leauge team . Try North Attleboro, Mansfield, Walpole for a good test. I know for a fact Everett chose to have a bye rather than play Mansfield in 2006.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Yes, the Everett 2006 team was arguably the best team from the state of MA in recent memory. But, if that 2006 team was in one of the better leagues in Alabama, Ohio, California, Texas, Florida or Georgia they'd probably be lucky to be .500.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

Match Everett against St Thomas Aquinas in FL --- excuse me, MISMATCH them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

\

Who cares? The goal is to have well rounded kids. We will never be able to compete in football, Soccer, Baseball or Basketball around here.  We have Good skiers,lacrosse  and hockey players in New England.  Thats just the way it is, move on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

In Mass most high schools are to small to compete on a national level..  there are no high schools in Boston with an enrollment of 2k + kids like TX & Ca so the interest is not there imo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeB68. Show JoeB68's posts

MIAA rules stste that a Football coach can NOT coach players until 3 weeks before school starts and NOT after Thanksgiving. There are (optional) weight programs, but they can NOT be supervised by a football coach outside of the season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peckah. Show Peckah's posts

In Response to Re: How does Massachusetts Football Compare? : When was Chelmsford ever ranked nationally?  I know Brockton and Walpole were in USA Today's top 25 in the early 1990's but I don't recall Chelmsford being on that level.
    Posted by Schemedly

Way back in the late 40s & early 50s, Lowell HS was 62 & 1.  The coach was Ray Riddick who turned down the HC job at Dartmouth & the Frosh Coaching job at ND shortly after Leahy left BC & went to ND.  Ridick played at Fordham with Lombardi & also with the Green Bay Packers. Lowell HS had a couple of thousnd kids, with few frosh.  The LHS boosters raised money each year to send their team to Florida, MS, LA TX, etc.   I know they beat the state champs of Ohio & NJ,  Times changed & the ethnic background of the kids at LHS changed so they lost the big lineman they had depended on.

Riddick was so highly thought of that his word was enough to get a kid a scholarship if the kid played for a lowly opponent which is what happened to a very good friemd of mine who went to the small, boys Catholic HS in Lowell!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peckah. Show Peckah's posts

I live in east Ft Lauderdale, near Holiday Park.   

The minority kids, mostly, start playing Pop Warner at night in July when its 90 degrees with 90 humidity.  Each team has its own chearleaders who are dressed in little outfits and trained routines!  My conservative guess is that a minimum of 500 attend the weekly games and that 200 young boys are at this one park.

St Thomas Acquinas has 2000 kids. I also has had a million dollar weight & training center for years!  More than a dozen, maybe more than 2 dozen, of the sons of former NFL players have played for STA & many of their dads have helped out coaching there over the years. 

STA usually produces 10 to 12 scholarship players each year.  A kid who wants to play at STA is expected to lift the summer before their Fr Yr & many lift when they are in the 8 grade. Four to seven or eight of these rides will be to ND, UF, FSU, U of Miami, Mich or Mich St, type schools, etc.   The Ivies don't give athletic schoolies, per se, but STA is a damn good educational school, so a lot of their smaller (& probably, smarter) players go the Ivies but my guess is that they might not have been admitted off the waiting list but for football ---  such kids are not counted in the 10- 12 !

Kids know that if they go to STA, they will be physically safe, get discipline and a damn good education,  and more importantly, will get a college football scholarship if they are good enough to start at STA.

Of course, STA as a Catholic HS is not subject to geographic boundries, etc,as are the public schools.   I'm not saying they actively recruit as THEY DO NOT HAVE TO!

I am also not saying thisemphasis ob sports is right, but this is the way it is.

PS: You should see the baseball facilities at Westminster Christian in Miami where ARod & Doug Mi9 RS first baseman in 04) went as some guy dropped a million on them but restricted it to be spent soley on baseball.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Most of the money   down here in Georgia comes from booster clubs,,
    The big time programs have  20,000 seat stadiums and video boards  that most  Div 1AA  schools and some 1A college programs dream about.

Artie Lynch was a Globe all scholastic out of Dartmouth   he saw the field in 2009 and made  2 catches for 10 yards against Tenn. Tech - He redshirted as a Sophmore and has played in 12 games in 2011 ..As a Redshirt Soph. he's playing at 6 ft 5  272 pounds.

He's playing behind Orson Charles and Aron White  both  who will go into the NFL.

There just aren't that many kids in Mass.  who can go to an SEC program ..
    Stephenson and MLK  in Atlnat each had a dozen kids verbal to D-1 programs before their Senior seasons.

The BC roster   has maybe a dozen kids from Mass on it.. If they had to survive on local schools they  could not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeuceAkaTK. Show DeuceAkaTK's posts

All one has to do is attend the Shriners Game in June and you'll see how bad Mass football is.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Everett High finished #22 in the country in the USA Today poll last year. The Crimson Tide  could play with most teams in most states.
    Posted by TheEyeintheSky

LMAO!!!!  Thanks for the laugh!!!  I needed that.  Forget USA Today's rankings.  They're just to sell newspapers.  These rankings are more realistic I would imagine:  They're ranked #279

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/everett-crimson-tide-%28everett,ma%29/football/rankings.htm

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarveMaster. Show CarveMaster's posts

I don't know what the reason is, but high school football here simply isn't very good. I travel down to our office in Pittsburgh often, and my co-workers have taken me to many of their kids football games over the years. The high school football talent in the suburbs of Western PA is simply unbelievable.

I really don't know why, it's not like these kids need football to get out of the "hood" or anything. Most of Pittsburgh's suburbs are quite affluent, and these kids are going to college no matter what. Many of these kids are involved in other sports and school activities during other times in the year, so its not like they are only training for football for 4 years. The other thing that impressed my over the years is how smart many of the high school football players in that area are. Not the typical "dumb jocks" you hear about in other areas of the country. Probably why so many NFL Quarterbacks have come from the Pittsburgh region.

I guess in other regions of the country football is "their" sport, and not ours. Other than that, I really don't have an answer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from flip54. Show flip54's posts

I would like to see the per capita # for Massachusetts that go on to college football and the academic ave standing. The national ranking should also have the # of male students to draw from. Brockton Mass calls itself "the home of champions" but dont mention that they have 2500+ students to draw from. If the Everett Mass football program had 2500+ to pick from they would not have lost a game in the last 20 years! Everett draws from 900 a year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I think it compares pretty unfavorably with other states when the state athletic assoc comes up with stupid  rules like they enforced for excessive celebration.  If the "winning" coach would have had any guts he would have said to the state,  no thanks, you keep the trophey to the s

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

I would like to see the per capita # for Massachusetts that go on to college football and the academic ave standing. The national ranking should also have the # of male students to draw from. Brockton Mass calls itself "the home of champions" but dont mention that they have 2500+ students to draw from. If the Everett Mass football program had 2500+ to pick from they would not have lost a game in the last 20 years! Everett draws from 900 a year.
    Posted by flip54

Everett may pull from 900 students...but how many football players conveniently moved into to Everett for their freshman year?  Mommy and/or Daddy live in Boston but Uncle Joey lives in Everett.  I'll move in with him and play for the Everett.  ROLL TIDE!

Sections
Shortcuts