How does Massachusetts Football Compare?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1934545. Show user_1934545's posts

Re: How does Massachusetts Football Compare?

In Response to How does Massachusetts Football Compare?:
    [QUOTE]How does Massachusetts Football Compare to the rest of the United States? Why are our best very teams (Xavarian, etc.) ranked so low when compared to the rest of the country? Why does Massachusetts sent so few kids to D1 schools on schloraships, proportionally, as compared to Texas, California, Florida, etc? Why does football practice start so late in Massachusetts as compared with other States? Do MIAA rules help or hurt Massachusetts Football? Why? If you see a D1 College recruiter in Massachusetts, is it because he got lost on his way to Ohio?
    Posted by Zoberist[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schemedly. Show Schemedly's posts

Quite simply, it doesn't.  Ranking the 50 states MA probably falls somewhere between 45-50. Maybe because we do not have many regional high schools of 3,4,5000+ students to choose from.  Maybe football is not a huge priority in many communities. Notice that for the most part the same 15-20 schools are always competing in the playoffs and superbowls. Unfortuneatly those schools are winning more on hard work and coaching that raw talent.  Maybe football players here actually go to class and are not passed along like in other parts of the country? As far as Boston goes, you could combine all 12 city schools and still not be able to compete with the lower level 5A schools in Texas and Florida, you might not be able to beat any of the top ten programs in MA.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from alabama19. Show alabama19's posts

I moved to Alabama 5 years ago and high school football is the number one sport.The players are fast and in shape.The parents don`t have to pay "PAY TO PLAY" A Mass. High School would not stand a chance.It is like watching a small college team play.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwcc. Show cwcc's posts

scout.com says MA is sending between 15 and 20 athletes to BCS schools alone this year for football

I couldnt find a listing for Texas but the yearly average is roughly 100-130 if we're only talking BCS schools

Keep in mind that Texas has 6 times the population of Mass

I could probably throw several pages at you on how horrendous academic achievement is in states like bama and Texas and how no matter how you slice it Mass is in the top 5 most educated states in the Union but I'm sure you're not interested in such trifling things.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swine. Show Swine's posts

Its the communities and the climate mainly.  Why doesn't Massachusetts send any good basketball players to D1 schools, other than the prep schools in Mass?  Same issue.  NYC has even started to drop when it comes to top tier athletes in basketball, all of the best are coming out of California, Texas, or the south, probably because you can play outside practically all year long. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtcat. Show vtcat's posts

I had a friend from Massillon, Ohio who played for  their high school team. The Massillon stadium held about 20,000 fans. Any boy born in the city received a football, in the hospital, from the booster club. It is a culture there, as it is in Texas, Florida, California. Massachusetts kids are not subjected to that 'succeed at any cost' dogma. Don't know whether Gloucester's single wing, for example, would succeed anywhere else in the country. These football states are cranking out pro style offenses designed for very fast, talented players...feeders for the Floridas, USC's, etc., programs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Smaller population as compared to the big boys, more sports focused on, etc. It's sort of like why there is no hockey activity anywhere really south of Pennsylvania or west of Colorado.

I remember back in the late 80s and early 90s, teams like Brockton and Chelmsford, two powerhouses, were nationally ranked every year.

As the person above me states, Texas, Florida, really anywhere in the South or Southeast, it's a way of life.

The stadiums in Texas blow away the old Foxborough Stadium for crying out loud.

Population-wise, I'd say Mass does very well, actually. I think Mass does well across all 4 major sports, actually, with hockey being the strongest.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

The answer is simple:  Weather.  Florida, Texas, and California are three of the biggest population states that are primarily south of the winter line.  Better weather extends more time to play off-season and prep.  California, for instance, HS championships aren't usually starting until mid December.  Around these parts it used to end around Thanksgiving.  NH ended the week before turkey day and MA was the week after.

Better weather= better overall conditioning and more opportunity to achieve a more noticable product.  Hence why New England and the Great Lakes states produce more hockey talent... weather!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schemedly. Show Schemedly's posts

In Response to Re: How does Massachusetts Football Compare?:
    [QUOTE]Smaller population as compared to the big boys, more sports focused on, etc. It's sort of like why there is no hockey activity anywhere really south of Pennsylvania or west of Colorado. I remember back in the late 80s and early 90s, teams like Brockton and Chelmsford, two powerhouses, were nationally ranked every year. As the person above me states, Texas, Florida, really anywhere in the South or Southeast, it's a way of life. The stadiums in Texas blow away the old Foxborough Stadium for crying out loud. Population-wise, I'd say Mass does very well, actually. I think Mass does well across all 4 major sports, actually, with hockey being the strongest.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

When was Chelmsford ever ranked nationally?  I know Brockton and Walpole were in USA Today's top 25 in the early 1990's but I don't recall Chelmsford being on that level.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

That's because Chelmsford was never ranked nationally.

The only other New England school that I'm aware of was Pinkerton Acadamy in Derry,NH to come close.  They played Brockton a home and home in the early 90s. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zoberist. Show Zoberist's posts

[QUOTE]scout.com says MA is sending between 15 and 20 athletes to BCS schools alone this year for football I couldnt find a listing for Texas but the yearly average is roughly 100-130 if we're only talking BCS schools Keep in mind that Texas has 6 times the population of Mass I could probably throw several pages at you on how horrendous academic achievement is in states like bama and Texas and how no matter how you slice it Mass is in the top 5 most educated states in the Union but I'm sure you're not interested in such trifling things.
    Posted by cwcc[/QUOTE]

Actually, you have a point. When you look at the football rosters from the I-AA academic schools, (Ivy & Patriot Leagues) Massachusetts is well represented but more often than not, the kids are coming from the private schools. The fact that Boston University and Northeastern have dropped football tell you something about the culture. However, there are still lots of sellouts at BC and those are not just students. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zoberist. Show Zoberist's posts

In Response to How does Massachusetts Football Compare?:
    [QUOTE]How does Massachusetts Football Compare to the rest of the United States? Why are our best very teams (Xavarian, etc.) ranked so low when compared to the rest of the country? Why does Massachusetts sent so few kids to D1 schools on schloraships, proportionally, as compared to Texas, California, Florida, etc? Why does football practice start so late in Massachusetts as compared with other States? Do MIAA rules help or hurt Massachusetts Football? Why? If you see a D1 College recruiter in Massachusetts, is it because he got lost on his way to Ohio?

One way to compare us is to look at New Jersey, A state of about the same size (8.7M vs 6.7M) The State produces a huge number of D1 players and is heavily recruited. The State's best, Don Bosco, a Catholic School, is a perenail top 10 high school in the Country. The year before last, when Xavarain lead the State of Massachusetts, it was ranked about 400th in the country. New Jersey is wealthy, smart, with good schools. If they can do it so can we. You can find their players on all the big east teams. Why can't we do as well?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Most kids in Mass play  multiple sports  and don't concentrate on one particular  sport beyond it's season.Georgia Tenn. and Bama .. They play in passing leagues  7 on 7 leagues and lift and work out year round..

If you look at the top players in Mass  their objectives are generally for an education and a career.. If you ask the same kids in Georgia  they want to play D1 football and make the NFL or NBA

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

I train a few people that went to OSU , The U and a few others from the midwest , football is right behind god/country/family etc. Its culture down there as someone else put it. Plus with all due respect i think were smarter up here. Not to say your dumb if you play football , not at all. But football has a huge problem with coaching in the lower ranks. Its just not being taught correctly , not just here , but all over the country. Plus how many people do you really know that are commited , i mean die hard commited to making it as a college/NFL player. I know a few that feel that way about Hockey , Basketball , but nobody that is willing to put in the work to be an NFL player.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jensign58. Show jensign58's posts

Having lived in GA for a few years, HS football is definitely more of a year-round passion/activity in the south, so that certainly factors in. Our football programs start at a later age and don't have the financial or community backing that they do in TX, CA, or PA. But also, MA's relative lack of diversity hurts us here. With a lower population of african-americans we produce less skill players.  Most of the MA athletes who make it to D1 are OL, DL, or TEs.

That being said, ranking MA in the bottom 5 is too low.  I think we are somewhere closer to 35-40.  In 2006, ESPN did a ranking of HS football by state and put MA at 36.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zoberist. Show Zoberist's posts

MAXPREPS has answered this question conclusively. In its College Football Signing Day listing of where the D-1 recruits are coming from this year by State, Massachusetts was so far back in the pack as to be almost invisible. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]MAXPREPS has answered this question conclusively. In its College Football Signing Day listing of where the D-1 recruits are coming from this year by State, Massachusetts was so far back in the pack as to be almost invisible. 

That's middle of the pack.  NY and MA were tied with 9 at #26 out of 51 (including Washington DC).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oracle-at-delphi. Show oracle-at-delphi's posts

The schools in the city are a joke why should the football programs be any different....and when was the last time Latin won a Dual County football championship, they can't compete with suburban programs, they should come back to the city league, maybe they could beat East Boston.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

From MA, now I live in Miami --- some individual HS here send 10 players to Division One Schools in a year...The real difference is speed --- maybe 5 MA players total have wheels; speed burns in FL, GA, SC, TX, AL...what is considered "fast" in a MA HS is 4.55 --- that is LB speed in Miami.

For example -- Marvin Bracy recent verbal to FSU --- " What's special about Bracy is that he has only been running for a year with the teachings of Ricky Argro, a former 'Nole track star. Bracy is currently running a 10.05, but with coaching from one of the top staffs in America, imagine how much he could trim off his time in the future?"

10.05 is STOOOOPID fast! Probably a real world 4.22 forty.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from alabama19. Show alabama19's posts

[QUOTE]  I moved to Alabama 5 years ago and high school football is the number one sport.The players are fast and in shape.The parents don`t have to pay "PAY TO PLAY" A Mass. High School would not stand a chance.It is like watching a small college team play.
    Posted by alabama19[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from alabama19. Show alabama19's posts

In the south they have weight lifting programs year round.In Mass. they have that pay to play and that really hurts the high school programs.The speed of the kids Fast Fast and faster.A Mass. school would get killed playing a team from the south.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tydemond. Show tydemond's posts

[QUOTE]The schools in the city are a joke why should the football programs be any different....and when was the last time Latin won a Dual County football championship, they can't compete with suburban programs, they should come back to the city league, maybe they could beat East Boston.
    Posted by oracle-at-delphi[/QUOTE]

They can't even beat Eastie, Nor Brighton.  The only team in thier league that thye can beat is Newton South.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from alabama19. Show alabama19's posts

Gloucester still runs the single wing.We ran that back in the 60`s.You got to be kidding !!! I agree the schools in the south would cut out education before football,but high school football in south is almost like going to a college game.I live in Prattville Al. and they just got through playing a game on ESPN.You don`t see any Mass. schools on national TV.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonathanc692004. Show jonathanc692004's posts

[QUOTE]MAXPREPS has answered this question conclusively. In its College Football Signing Day listing of where the D-1 recruits are coming from this year by State, Massachusetts was so far back in the pack as to be almost invisible.  http://www.maxpreps.com/football-signing-day/football/home.htm www.maxpreps.com/signingday/list.aspx?ssid=f28cd02d-9746-48e9-a74b-fffef375b19a&state=tx&tab=school " />Texas -  177 www.maxpreps.com/signingday/list.aspx?ssid=f28cd02d-9746-48e9-a74b-fffef375b19a&state=fl&tab=school ">Florida -  114 www.maxpreps.com/signingday/list.aspx?ssid=f28cd02d-9746-48e9-a74b-fffef375b19a&state=ca&tab=school ">California -  91 www.maxpreps.com/signingday/list.aspx?ssid=f28cd02d-9746-48e9-a74b-fffef375b19a&state=ga&tab=school ">Georgia -  76 www.maxpreps.com/signingday/list.aspx?ssid=f28cd02d-9746-48e9-a74b-fffef375b19a&state=oh&tab=school ">Ohio -  72 www.maxpreps.com/signingday/list.aspx?ssid=f28cd02d-9746-48e9-a74b-fffef375b19a&state=pa&tab=school "> Pennsylvania -   52 Massachusetts has 9

Well this list isnt even correct and i know it for a fact theirs a kid out of st johns of shrewsbury that is going to play TE for UCLA

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheEyeintheSky. Show TheEyeintheSky's posts

Everett High finished #22 in the country in the USA Today poll last year.

The Crimson Tide could play with most teams in most states.

Sections
Shortcuts