2010 EMASS High School Soccer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfan12. Show soccerfan12's posts

2010 EMASS High School Soccer

so who will be the top teams this fall?  what does Somerville have coming back? what about Everett?  Medford?  does anyone know anything about CM?  Brockton? Madison Park?  Burke?  what about Lexington and the Middlesex League?  Newton North in the Bay State?
    C'mon, let's get the conversation started!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Re: 2010 EMASS High School Soccer

Somerville has a good team, one of their two top guns from last fall is back. Medford might be the most talented in terms of players returning. Everett might be a close third. East Boston is the team to beat in the BCL, but Madison Park has a good blend of talent returning also. No information on Burke.

Lexington will always be Lexington for the foreseeable future, unless they get a coaching change. It would be nice to see Newton North back in the mix.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfan12. Show soccerfan12's posts

Alex
    great to have you back -- what about New Bedford, Brockton and CM?  what about Winchester, Masco and Lynn English and Classical?  Gloucester?  Malden?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 EMASS High School Soccer:
    Alex great to have you back -- what about New Bedford, Brockton and CM?  what about Winchester, Masco and Lynn English and Classical?  Gloucester?  Malden?
    Posted by soccerfan12

CM has a major rebuilding project, they graduated at least 18 seniors and lost Askins and Donovan. Winchester has lost a bit, but most are saying they should still finish in second in the MSL. I believe one of the two talented brothers from Lynn Classical has graduated, just can't remember the duo's names at the moment. Brockton had a lot of seniors from last season, but I have a feeling they will still be a threat in D-1 south. Both New Bedford and Brockton have been pretty consistent over the past 5 years, don't see much changing here. Gloucester has been down for a while, but had that good run about 5 seasons ago, maybe they can get it back. Malden might be pretty good and could sneak in with a .500 record, but will be overshadowed by the Big 3 in the GBL. Thought Cambridge R+L was going to make a run last season by the number of returning players, but that didn't exactly happen. I don't have any revelant information on Masconomet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Attleboro is the team that is supposed to make a "splash" this season. Dartmouth and Somerset, teams that are/were in their division had teams that have gone to states in the past, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Attleboro win the south.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Hey mrsports13,

Most of the predictions looks pretty good. But just wanted to ask your reasoning for not putting Concord-Carlisle in there. I actually have them as one of the two top teams in the state at this point.

Thanks for the information on Classical, I suppose I could've checked, but would've lost my train of thought in the post.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfan12. Show soccerfan12's posts

Alex/Mr. 13:
    great info. -- what do you guys think about Cambridge and Framingham?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Alex/Mr. 13: great info. -- what do you guys think about Cambridge and Framingham?
    Posted by soccerfan12

I spoke with one of the Cambridge players before the start of last season, he mentioned they had most of the team returning and assumed they would be near the top of the GBL. I suppose it's possible they could have most of their players returning again this season, but couldn't really tell you much about this year's team.

Even though  I haven't gotten much information on Framingham, I'm going to guess they will slot right behind Lexington as the second best team in D-1 North, along with being the best team in the BSL. That hasn't seemed to change much in the past 5 years, Avery is still at the helm, so it would take significant information for me to change my mind.

The information from season to season is just not enough in the Boston Globe, three quarters of the players you see as conference all-stars, leading scorers or leading goalies you don't know if they are juniors or seniors. I suppose I could go to every wickedlocal online paper each week and get that info, but that would take quite a bit of work. Maybe facebook would be another way to find out which class certain players are in, however they've tightened the privacy settings over the past year, so it's harder now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfan12. Show soccerfan12's posts

Alex
    who do you think are the favorites to win Div 1, 2 & 3?  North and South?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohreallly. Show ohreallly's posts

How's Hingham looking?  They lost some great players.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Alex who do you think are the favorites to win Div 1, 2 & 3?  North and South?
    Posted by soccerfan12

Still fairly early, but I'll give it a shot anyways. It will probably update as soon as I get a lot more information.

D-1 Lexington and Brockton
    D-2 Concord-Carlisle and
    D-3 Weston and Hanover

*had to scratch Wellesley off there, lost too many seniors.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

I did find this gem of an article, which should provide for some useful info:

Boys

1. Hingham – The defending Patriot League Keenan champs, the Harbormen reached the Division 2 South Sectional quarterfinals a year ago, but that might not be so easy this fall. The team lost its two top players – All-Americans Brett Canepa (UMass Amherst) and Terence Morrissey (Bryant) – as well as all-star keeper Andrew Blomberg, and that leaves three huge holes to fill. But, Hingham returns Patriot League all-stars Brian Blanchard, Jake Awtry, Ryan King, and Daniel Stoddard.

2. Marshfield – The Rams are a tough team to dissect. They lost Atlantic Coast League all-stars Wade Jastremski and Jeff Kilday, two vital components to last year’s team. They also lost nearly a dozen other seniors, including starting keeper Brandt Greene. But the Rams do return Atlantic Coast League all-star Andrew Sheridan, who’s good for a solid 80 minutes each game. Sheridan is one of three captains for Head Coach Scott Sorensen this fall. The other two – Jan Sjonquist and Matt Wencis – were instrumental in Marshfield’s late-season run to make the 2009 tourney. And keep an eye out for sophomore Evan Jastremski, who’s good on the ball and has the ability to take control of open space. This team has the talent to challenge for a league title, it’s just a matter of how quickly that talent comes together on the field.

3. Duxbury – A loss to eventual Division 2 Eastern Mass. semifinalists Sandwich in the South Sectional quarterfinals. The Dragons lost only one regular season game, and it came to Hingham, in a game that decided the Patriot League title. This team lost a lot of quality starters, including Dan Sangster, who is now at the University of Hartford, as well as Tom Drummy (Babson) and Pat Charland (Stonehill), and starting keeper Max Cote and backup Tom Kazanowski, 19 seniors in all. This is a program that has notoriously churned out new talent each year and could do so again in 2010, but this is the youngest team Duxbury has had in years. It’s not going to be easy.

4. Hanover – The Indians made a decent run in the Division 3 South Sectional tournament before losing in the semifinals to No. 3 Westport on PKs. Without 2009 senior co-captain and midfielder Jon Spitz, the key will be neutralizing the middle. Defensively is also where the Indians need help. Keeper Jimmy Oliver and last year’s senior co-captain and defender Andrew Bishop are gone, leaving guys like Dylan Griffin, who had a stellar freshman season, to step up quickly to fill the void.

5. Rockland – No one expected the Bulldogs to reach the postseason after some regular season struggles. But not only did the Dogs qualify for the tournament, they won two games, including a first-round upset of Harwich. Keeper Kevin Strobler had a phenomenal freshman season in 2009, and he’s the backbone of that Bulldogs backline. But can the Dogs replace the scoring power of forward Bruno daSilva?

6. Norwell – The Clippers lost their scoring touch with the graduation of three South Shore League all-stars - Curtis Webb, Phil Johnson, and Pat Collins. But forward Brad Prouty was also part of that attack last year, and he returns this fall. Keeper Tom Koch is also back on the pitch, one year after recording nearly 10 shutouts a year ago. The team went 10-4-4 last year, a season in which it moved up to Division 2.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Yeah, they might want to fit Weymouth somewhere in that group....lol. I'm sure even if they had their worst season in about 20 years in 2010, you can still put them ahead of Rockland and Norwell. However, it's probably an indication that Weymouth has lost a lot of players from last season.

The public schools in our coverage area include: Abington, Braintree, Carver, Cohasset, Duxbury, Hanover, Hingham, Holbrook, Marshfield, Norwell, Pembroke, Plymouth North, Plymouth South, Rockland, Scituate, Silver Lake, and Weymouth.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miked070707. Show miked070707's posts

Yeah, they might want to fit Weymouth somewhere in that group....lol. I'm sure even if they had their worst season in about 20 years in 2010, you can still put them ahead of Rockland and Norwell. However, it's probably an indication that Weymouth has lost a lot of players from last season. The public schools in our coverage area include: Abington, Braintree, Carver, Cohasset, Duxbury, Hanover, Hingham, Holbrook, Marshfield, Norwell, Pembroke, Plymouth North, Plymouth South, Rockland, Scituate, Silver Lake, and Weymouth.
    Posted by AlexFilides

I have to agree with you Alex, Weymouth should still be looked at as a top tier team.  For as bad as their season was (and thats going by their impossibly high standards) they were eliminated by the state champs in a narrowly contested game.  Given a better draw and maybe they make some noise last year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Just an update, a few team articles are already out.

It appears Wellesley is not nearly strong as originally thought, they lost a lot of players from last season.

Somerville may be better than last season, however they have lost a key defenseman during the Bay State games. Andrade.

Lincoln-Sudbury have a lot of upperclassmen this season, is it enough to compete with the Lexington's and Framingham's? D-1 North is looking very tough again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfan12. Show soccerfan12's posts

Big Early Season Matches

does anyone know of any big early season matchups?
    please include field location, date and time!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrapa-. Show scrapa-'s posts

Just an update, a few team articles are already out. It appears Wellesley is not nearly strong as originally thought, they lost a lot of players from last season. Somerville may be better than last season, however they have lost a key defenseman during the Bay State games. Andrade. Lincoln-Sudbury have a lot of upperclassmen this season, is it enough to compete with the Lexington's and Framingham's? D-1 North is looking very tough again.
    Posted by AlexFilides

I thought Wellesley was mostly juniors last year.  Isn't O'Connell (?sp) coming back?   He was second in the league in scoring. 
    I still think Framingham is going to struggle.  Graduated alot over the past three years, tough to keep reloading.  Probably will at least struggle early until they find their groove.  Wouldn't want to face them as a low seed in the tourney though.  I'm sticking to my prediction with Brookline being the class of the BSC, they were good last year and were mostly juniors.  Maybe a changing of the guard  in the league.
    Lynch is finally a senior at Weymouth, could be his turn to lead them back to the top. 
    Noone is talking about Needham.  They have been quiet for a few years.  Any info? 
    Have no idea about Braintree and NN.  I guess with Framingham down the league is wide open. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hssoccer10. Show hssoccer10's posts

medford @ somerville 9/10/10.... 3:45 (always a fun game to watch)
    sjp @ CM 7... 9/15/10
    framingham @ weymouth 9/11/10 ..... 10 AM
    lexington @ woburn 9/8/10 3:45

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RJC17. Show RJC17's posts

Attleboro Preseason

vs. Dighton Rehoboth  Won 5-1
    vs. Taunton Won 5-0

vs. Rockland Won 3-0  ( In Whitman Hansen Jamboree)***
    vs. Whitman Hansen Lost 2-0  ( In Whitman Hansen Jamboree)***
    vs. Carver Won 3-0   ( In Whitman Hansen Jamboree)

vs. Xaverian  9/7/10

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from HSsoccermaster. Show HSsoccermaster's posts

Apparently cambridge should be alright this year. they graduated their best players and this year their team is full of youngsters. People should never count Cambridge out though because they always seem to surprise everyone every season. A source told me they lost to newton 2-1 and easily beat bedford 1-0 in preseason. newton should be a force this year and cambridge MIGHT JUST BE THE SURPRISE TEAM THIS YEAR. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 EMASS High School Soccer : I thought Wellesley was mostly juniors last year.  Isn't O'Connell (?sp) coming back?   He was second in the league in scoring.  I still think Framingham is going to struggle.  Graduated alot over the past three years, tough to keep reloading.  Probably will at least struggle early until they find their groove.  Wouldn't want to face them as a low seed in the tourney though.  I'm sticking to my prediction with Brookline being the class of the BSC, they were good last year and were mostly juniors.  Maybe a changing of the guard  in the league. Lynch is finally a senior at Weymouth, could be his turn to lead them back to the top.  Noone is talking about Needham.  They have been quiet for a few years.  Any info?  Have no idea about Braintree and NN.  I guess with Framingham down the league is wide open. 
    Posted by scrapa-

That's the impression I had also was that most of the team was returning for Wellesley until I read the soccer article a few days ago, which indicated they had to replace quite a few guys/starters. Maybe they lost a few guys through transfers, injuries or being ineligible?

Needham is wildy unpredictable, one year where they make a deep run and have most of their team returning, they flop and other years they have a young team and had overachieved.

Weymouth hasn't been the same since Shoff left, sure McEachern is a good coach, but they haven't gotten over that hump of going ahead Brockton.

You mentioned Brookline has most of their team returning, which I wasn't aware of, they did beat Framingham last season 3-0. How many conference all-stars/starters and returning players did Brookline lose from last season. I ask because you could have a team that lost 3 conference all-stars that had been seniors, despite having most of the team back the following season doesn't always guarantee the same amount of success as the previous season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Just an update, it appears for soccer, Burke, Madison Park and East Boston are all in the north this year. So basically whoever makes the City Championship from the south will most likely get demolished.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfan12. Show soccerfan12's posts

Alex

Alex
    where did you get that info about the city league North for Madison Park, Burke etc... I am not sure that is true -- where do you get your info. about the Boston City League?  I am always looking for more about it...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

I might sound crazy, but I think I'm leaning in the direction of this being Lincoln-Sudbury's year to win the state in D-1.

They have one of New England's best players in Cole DeNormandie.

http://rise.espn.go.com/boys-soccer/articles/2010/09/01-DeNormandie-feature-Mass-Mag.aspx

They have a very deep team, all of them can step in going 16 deep.

Many returning starters.

And playing in arguably the tougest conference in EMass.

I say as of right now, this is the year they take down Lexington.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Re: Alex

In Response to Alex:
    Alex where did you get that info about the city league North for Madison Park, Burke etc... I am not sure that is true -- where do you get your info. about the Boston City League?  I am always looking for more about it...
    Posted by soccerfan12

This was from the MIAA website in the standings section.

http://www.schtools.com/membersnew/public/index.cfm?fuseaction=standings&OrgSportID=35&SportLevelCode=C&Org=MIAA&CFID=9942249&CFTOKEN=83110843

Sections
Shortcuts