2010 EMASS High School Soccer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Re: Alex

In Response to Alex:
    as usual, Alex, you are clairvoyant!  Bos Intl is ok and will make noise -- they will beat Whittier (the tech schools other than Madison tend to be awful in the tournament...) but then waits Ham Wen -- always a tough out -- I think they beat Bos Intl in the tournament a couple of years back -- also Brighton will beat Billerica and then lose to Medford... but Brighton is much improved with their Romanian coach...  I saw L-S and they are nothing special, just a kick and run team, but C-C is excellent, criminal they are not in D 1, they need to move up and play with the big boys... F-Ham is waiting in the weeds and N-N isn't bad either -- should be a tremendous D 1 North flight -- Masco is very good, Lex is Lex, St. John's Prep is always very good -- my upset special is Andover over East Boston 2-1... Andover beat a decent Hyde Park team last year and proved they are not afraid of coming into the city and playing... also East Boston does not play the tough physical style of Hyde Park, rather a finesse passing style -- also Carlos Ruiz and Kelvin Martinez (their two best players are hurt...)
    Posted by soccerfan12

Ruiz is hurt?So that's why you picked Andover...lol. Was it Bonilla that graduated? He was the 1-2 combo with Ruiz from last year I think, or maybe had his name wrong. For some reason thought he was returning this season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kipmaster24. Show Kipmaster24's posts

Re: Alex

In Response to Re: Alex:
    In Response to Alex : I doubt LS is a darkhorse, but to suggest they are "nothing special, just a kick and run team" doesn't give them credit. Their striker is, for the third year in a row, leading what is arguably the most competitive league in the state, in scoring despite being a mystery to none of the other teams. The defense has given up less than a goal a game over the season. While there may be "prettier" teams out there, LS gets the job done as a team (ask the nolonger undefeated CC, or the haven't beaten them in two years AB), and I would suggest, they're probably one team no one wants to play.
    Posted by Goalazzo

I can see what soccerfan is saying about L-S, however they have a great draw.  I don't see them losing before the final, and maybe even winning the thing.  Topdrawer soccer has Cole DeNormandie rated as the second best prospect in the northeast for the class of 2011.  Having a star like that means they always have that ace in the hole.  But if he has an off day L-S will struggle.  Despite the fact that L-S doesn't play as pretty has some other sides, it would be a mistake to underestimate their physicality and athleticism.  They will be a tough out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slowbutquick. Show slowbutquick's posts

Re: 2010 EMASS High School Soccer

My predictions

Div2

Win vs Wilm
    CC vs Wayland

Win vs CC

Win

Div 1

MP vs LS
    Lex vs masc

MP vs Lex

MP wins (Joy in the streets of Boston)

Div 1 South

BC vs Walpole
    NB vs Wey

BC vs Wey

Wey

Div 2 south

Hing vs Dux
    Sandwich vs Medfield (Med beats Canton second time)

Sandwich vs Hingham

Hingham (Better team since they got rid of striker to UMass)

Pleased to be wrong!!!!  If Brockton Chelsea or Randolph pull upsets,  Walpole may surprise

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southshoreexpert. Show southshoreexpert's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 EMASS High School Soccer:
    My predictions Div2 Win vs Wilm CC vs Wayland Win vs CC Win Div 1 MP vs LS Lex vs masc MP vs Lex MP wins (Joy in the streets of Boston) Div 1 South BC vs Walpole NB vs Wey BC vs Wey Wey Div 2 south Hing vs Dux Sandwich vs Medfield (Med beats Canton second time) Sandwich vs Hingham Hingham (Better team since they got rid of striker to UMass) Pleased to be wrong!!!!  If Brockton Chelsea or Randolph pull upsets,  Walpole may surprise
    Posted by slowbutquick

Maybe should change the name to "quickbutslow".

You've got some semifinal suggestions that logically can't happen (like Wey vs. NB).

And how could Walpole surprise based on what Randolph or Chelsea do? Some kind of osmotic karma, since they are not even in the same tournaments?

And your Hingham idea, respectfully, is hard to respect. Hingham has a solid, young team on D and in the midfield. Their weakness is that they don't present a real threat up top. They're better without one of the most dangerous players in all of Mass last year? Canepa would help this team out a lot. Plus, Hingham is on a downward trend. Will be fortunate to get a game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slowbutquick. Show slowbutquick's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 EMASS High School Soccer : Maybe should change the name to "quickbutslow". You've got some semifinal suggestions that logically can't happen (like Wey vs. NB). And how could Walpole surprise based on what Randolph or Chelsea do? Some kind of osmotic karma, since they are not even in the same tournaments? And your Hingham idea, respectfully, is hard to respect. Hingham has a solid, young team on D and in the midfield. Their weakness is that they don't present a real threat up top. They're better without one of the most dangerous players in all of Mass last year? Canepa would help this team out a lot. Plus, Hingham is on a downward trend. Will be fortunate to get a game.
    Posted by southshoreexpert

Hey I watched Canepa play for years very selfous and the game was about him saw him last year get fustrated in the biggest game of the year and was shutdown by a sophmore. The year before he was also single covered and had a tantrum. That being said I hope he is doing well a UMass (he is playing and has 1 goal), he has the talent by those 6 inches between the ears are killing him 

I always think that the losing team from the regular season matchups have an advantage in the tournments.  That is why I pick canton to lose to medfield and Hingham to upset Sandwich. 

If you look closely I gave predictions for Div 1 and Div 2 north and south so those teams I mentioned I would be great to see overcome in the tournment.

Have not seen as many games as I wanted this season but from what I saw the tri valley seems stronger than in years past and confusion still reigns in the GBL.  I will review and see the MIAA site to see if I was off.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slowbutquick. Show slowbutquick's posts

I should have written Greater New Bedford instead of New Bedford, sorry for that Great Error

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 EMASS High School Soccer :   I always think that the losing team from the regular season matchups have an advantage in the tournments.  That is why I pick canton to lose to medfield and Hingham to upset Sandwich. 
    Posted by slowbutquick

That logic has been working with the New Bedford/Brockton rivalry...lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Scores in so far

Somerville 6 Hyde Park 0
    Braintree 1 Attleboro 0

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miked070707. Show miked070707's posts

Scores in so far Somerville 6 Hyde Park 0 Braintree 1 Attleboro 0
    Posted by AlexFilides

Thats right.  Braintree wins in OT on flip throw that goes into the upper 90 of far post.  Slight controversy whether it touched anyone before going in.  The ref was right there and seemed pretty sure that it did.  Attleboro went crazy claiming it didn't touch anyone before going in.  Although they also went a little crazy when Braintree accidentally thighed the ball back to the goalie who subsequently picked it up so I don't think we can draw much from their reaction.

Great game though.  Braintree squandered 4 chances where they were one on one with the goalie and Attleboro missed several good opportunities as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

"To win against a team like Cambridge Ridge and Latin is a big deal,'' said Avery.

Not sure about that one really, but then again any tournament win is a big deal. Maybe he was thinking of the Cambridge team from 1999 that won the north. I would say this year the top team from the GBL is probably the best of the worst dating back when they first formed the GBL. If Medford was the best, they certainly didn't show it in nonleague play.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrapa-. Show scrapa-'s posts

I think Avery was referencing the fact that his 6-6-6 squad went on the road and defeated a 12-3-3 squad.  It's a fairly big accomplishment.  This is not the Framingham of years past, very young.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rmazaika. Show rmazaika's posts

That is why I pick canton to lose to medfield and Hingham to upset Sandwich.  If you look closely I gave predictions for Div 1 and Div 2 north and south so those teams I mentioned I would be great to see overcome in the tournment. Have not seen as many games as I wanted this season but from what I saw the tri valley seems stronger than in years past and confusion still reigns in the GBL. 
    Posted by slowbutquick

Canton and Medfield are on the opposite side of the bracket and can not play until the section finals - if either one makes it that far

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

I think Avery was referencing the fact that his 6-6-6 squad went on the road and defeated a 12-3-3 squad.  It's a fairly big accomplishment.  This is not the Framingham of years past, very young.
    Posted by scrapa-

You're probably right. Although I picked Framingham to win fairly easy, maybe not everyone thought the same.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southshoreexpert. Show southshoreexpert's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 EMASS High School Soccer : Canton and Medfield are on the opposite side of the bracket and can not play until the section finals - if either one makes it that far
    Posted by rmazaika

Same thing with Hingham and Sandwich.....and "slowbutslow" thought his only error was omitting the "Gr" in Greater NB Voc.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohreallly. Show ohreallly's posts

Canton and Hingham will be out early.  Sandwich will take the Sectional tourney title.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southshoreexpert. Show southshoreexpert's posts

Canton and Hingham will be out early.  Sandwich will take the Sectional tourney title.
    Posted by ohreallly

Be careful with bishop feehan...will be surprised if canton falls anywhere before the final...very talented team that doesn't beat itself

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jod20102. Show jod20102's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 EMASS High School Soccer : Be careful with bishop feehan...will be surprised if canton falls anywhere before the final...very talented team that doesn't beat itself
    Posted by southshoreexpert

Don't overlook Holliston, and don't forget that Feehan got slaughtered by a TVL team last year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Any of the team's in the Tri Valley are capable of winning some games, it's really hard to score against any of those teams from that league that are in the tournament.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Westport knocked around Hanover 5-0. Westport is no doubt a contender. D-S's path might not be so easy now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wgleslie. Show wgleslie's posts

Melrose vs Burke

Does anyone have any information on the fracas at the Melrose vs Burke game on Saturday?  I have heard some sketchy information regarding confrontations between coaches/players and the refereees at half-time and then a second (and final) confrontation after the award of a penalty kick.  The information I heard was that a coach came on the field to dispute the call and, eventually, attempted to kick a referee.  Was anyone there or does anyone have access to unbiased information?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Re: Melrose vs Burke

In Response to Melrose vs Burke:
    Does anyone have any information on the fracas at the Melrose vs Burke game on Saturday?  I have heard some sketchy information regarding confrontations between coaches/players and the refereees at half-time and then a second (and final) confrontation after the award of a penalty kick.  The information I heard was that a coach came on the field to dispute the call and, eventually, attempted to kick a referee.  Was anyone there or does anyone have access to unbiased information?
    Posted by wgleslie

(Editor's note: this article was updated on Sunday at 6:30 p.m. with additional clarification about what led to the Burke player receiving a red card and about Melrose advancing to the next round of the tournament.)

The Melrose boys soccer team has advanced in the state tournament in controversial fashion, after a 1-1 game against Burke High School on Saturday afternoon ended with 35 minutes left to play due to a red card issued to the Burke head coach for what referee Giovanni Diola called "abusive language."

Neither the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association's (MIAA) handbook (PDF) or soccer tournament format rules (PDF) state that when a coach receives a red card, his or her team forfeits the game. However, Diola and fellow referee Gunnar Larson said after the game that the MIAA would likely rule that Melrose, the 14th seed in the North Division 2 tournament, advances to the next round of the tournament.

As of Sunday, Melrose is listed as advancing to the next round on the MIAA website. An MIAA representative could not be immediately reached over the weekend for comment.

On the play leading up to Burke head coach Gus Marcins' red card, Melrose freshman Frantzdy Pierrot had position in the penalty area ahead of a Burke defender when Pierrot went to the ground. The referee awarded Pierrot a penalty kick, but did not issue the Burke player a red card for the foul, which Melrose Patch initially reported. 

Melrose head coach Dean Serino described the play: "(Pierrot) took the kid, turned on his back, he was in front of him, the kid hit him, he went down, called a PK. Then ... I don't know even know."

According to Melrose player Steve Vaughan in the comments on this article (below) and an e-mail sent to Melrose Patch after the game, the Burke player then began yelling at the referee in protestation of the call, and the referee eventually issued the player a red card.

Marcins came out on the field and demonstratively started arguing with the referee, who then issued a red card to the coach.

Diola said that Marcins used "abusive language," claiming that the referees were calling the game unfairly because his school was from Dorchester and that for some of his players, English is a second language.

"That's got nothing to do with soccer," Diola said, dismissing what he said were Marcins' assertions.

Larson added, "I'm Swedish and he's (Diola) Italian."

Asked what he said to the referees, Marcins said "I don't recall what I said" when arguing against the red card issued to his player.

"What I said is almost irrelevant to what I felt," he said. "It's 18-year-old kids trying to play a state tournament game. It's 1-1. Be fair. I've seen the incompetence in high school refereeing for years. You can deal with a certain amount of that. What you can't deal with is a lack of integrity. And if they don't have integrity, they can't be out here, stealing the dream of 18-year-old kids. We dream just like they (Melrose) did. We wanted to play just like they did."

Burke coach: calls against team were 'a pattern'

Marcins maintained that the red card issued to his player was the wrong call.

"He did not touch him," he said. "If there was a card, it should have been issued against the Melrose player for diving."

Asked if he was upset with just that one call, Marcins said, "it's a pattern." Asked if it was a pattern throughout this particular game, he said, "There were calls that weren't fair. Now I'm sure the Melrose coach felt the same way. But there were calls that weren't fair from my point of view."

Near the end of the first half, with Melrose leading 1-0, some of the Burke players showed frustration with the referees' calls, as one Burke player was knocked down and cried out loudly and his teammate turned to the referee and said, "Come on, ref."

The referees awarded a free kick to Burke, the 19th seed in the tournament, and a Melrose player gave the Burke player still on the ground a friendly tap on the back while he ran back on defense.

Before speaking with reporters, Marcins was talking on a cell phone saying, "I've seen this before" and "We have no recourse." He told reporters he was speaking with Boston Public Schools Athletic Director Ken Still.

Asked what Still told him, Marcins said, "there's nothing he can tell me, really.

"It's just, you know, 'gotta rise above it,' but it's easy to say. It's very easy to say," Marcins said as two Melrose Police officers, called to the Knoll after the game ended, asked Marcins to wrap up speaking with reporters and join his team on the Burke school bus. 

Asked if he had regrets about the game, Marcins said, "No, no," adding that his team was playing "pretty well" in a 1-1 game with 35 minutes left.

"(Melrose) had some good chances in the first half and we did too," he said. "I don't have any regrets. The regret is the guys, the referees that are one-sided. That's my regret. That's my fear. It's more fear than a regret, because I've seen it over and over again."

Melrose coach: 'unfortunate' way for game to end

Serino said he believed the rule is that a team whose coach receives a red card automatically forfeits the game.

"Unfortunately, I knew that rule. The coach gets red carded and the game's over," he said. "Regardless of the score, no matter what …. I've been in the opposite position, unfortunately—that was a long time ago."

Serino said it was "unfortunate" that the situation escalated and the game ended the way it did.

"I just feel bad for the kids: our kids and their kids," he said. "Their kids wanted to play, too. Things don't go your way in life and sports—that's why you play, to learn those lessons. We have been in situations where our kids have the heat of moment get the best of them, so we try to teach them that. I guess that's a lesson for all of us."

Serino said he didn't believe his team played "particularly well, to tell you the truth." Burke plays a high-tempo, offense-first and defense-second style, Serino said, that opens up scoring chances for the other team.

"They're always going forward, always going forward ... so you'll have opportunities, but if you don't finish them, they come back and score one," he said. "So all your work, 12 shots, they come back and hit one, and it's evened up."

Melrose controlled the game in the first half, garnering most of the scoring opportunities and swallowing up the midfield, as senior Sam Pham, senior Captain Ryan Joyal, senior Pat McClusky and senior Stevie Vaughan throttled most attempts by Burke to advance the ball into Melrose's end of the field. The few scoring chances by Burke were quickly scooped up by sophomore goalie Zeke Vanier.

The Red Raiders couldn't find the back of the net until 19 minutes in, when freshman Michel Pierre-Gilles, after Pierrot at midfield headed a long pass from the Melrose end towards the Burke goal. Pierre-Gilles flew up the left side of the field and dribbled the ball towards the top of the penalty area before striking the ball home.

Other opportunities in the first half didn't turn out as well. Melrose had several corner and free kicks that either sailed out of bounds, untouched by another Melrose player, or couldn't be gathered by Melrose for a scoring opportunity. With about 10 minutes left in the first half, senior Captain Ryan Joyal took a free kick from almost mid-field, on the right side of the field, and hit the center of the crossbar, with the ball ultimately headed over the goal out of bounds.

"We didn't finish our opportunities that we had," Serino said. "The balls off a corner ... they're a good offensive team, that team. If we finish, the game would've been a different game."

Burke responded quickly in the second half off a throw-in, with a Burke player lofting a strong shot from the left side of the goal just over the fully extended arm of Vanier.

The game ended only moments later.

Assuming Melrose advances, the Red Raiders will travel to Wakefield on Monday at 2:30 p.m. to face Northeast Metro Tech (12-2-2), the third seed in the tournament, which had a first round bye. Serino said he's never coached against Northeast Metro Tech and has to research that team, but is first concerned with his own squad, which will get a boost with the return of its starting sweeper, junior Ben Mack.

"The focus is on us, defensively," Serino said. "We get Ben back. We've got to get that sorted out."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wgleslie. Show wgleslie's posts

Wow, thanks for that information.  Unfortunate all around.  With regard to a coach's disqualification - MIAA Rule 77.2.22 "If any coach (head coach or assistant coach) is ejected from a contest, the contest shall be terminated and forfeiture will result."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southshoreexpert. Show southshoreexpert's posts

Tough decisions for MIAA. With forecast now showing rain into Wednesday and possibly lingering into Thursday, they almost have to try and get games in. Wonder if MIAA will attempt to move all grass field games to turf fields with doubleheaders at some venues. Conditions tomorrow evening may border on intolerable for spectators.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from walthamsoccer. Show walthamsoccer's posts

Unfortunately these things do happen a lot. The city kids are label by referees as trouble makers, that's not the reason why city teams don't win vs. suburban teams, but It does affect players in a way when they realize the referees are not being fair with them. I went to scout the AB vs Malden game and what I saw was the referees "yelling" at Malden players on every foul for no reason the entire game (telling them to control themselves).In the other hand when an AB player committed a foul to the same degree as the Malden foul, he would call the foul and walk away. In my opinion referees should be there to judge calls, not players because of what school they go to. I seriously feel bad for those kids.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Somerville appears to be on a mission, they have all their players to be healthy. Expect a very physical game, Somerville will want redemention from the first matchup. MP isn't used to playing behind. Right now, I think the game could go either way, don't be surprised to see some yellow and red cards tossed around.

Sections
Shortcuts