Boys' Basketball 2010-2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfan12. Show soccerfan12's posts

Boys' Basketball 2010-2011

Hey Folks-
    who will be the best teams in Boys' Basketball this year?  Brockton?  Newton North?  St. John's Prep?  East Boston?  Charlestown?  New Mission?
    Let's open the discussion...

I think Newton North will be very strong in D 1 South especially with Madison Park being down...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from highschoolsportsfreak3. Show highschoolsportsfreak3's posts

Re: Boys' Basketball 2010-2011

In Response to Boys' Basketball 2010-2011:
    [QUOTE]Hey Folks- who will be the best teams in Boys' Basketball this year?  Brockton?  Newton North?  St. John's Prep?  East Boston?  Charlestown?  New Mission? Let's open the discussion... I think Newton North will be very strong in D 1 South especially with Madison Park being down...
    Posted by soccerfan12[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have to say St. John's Prep. They have a great head coach in Sean Connolly and they are coming off a very solid year. They are returning all 5 starters from last season, and their star player Pat Connaughton had a monster summer. The boston teams will be very competitive as well too as they always are, but I feel like the prep has the experience to go all the way. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

In Response to Re: Boys' Basketball 2010-2011:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Boys' Basketball 2010-2011 : I'm going to have to say St. John's Prep. They have a great head coach in Sean Connolly and they are coming off a very solid year. They are returning all 5 starters from last season, and their star player Pat Connaughton had a monster summer. The boston teams will be very competitive as well too as they always are, but I feel like the prep has the experience to go all the way. 
    Posted by highschoolsportsfreak3[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, they have all 5 starters back, then I would say they probably are the favorite to win the state. That was quite and impressive team last year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EthanTheCableGuyNB. Show EthanTheCableGuyNB's posts

I don't mean to play hometown cheerleader, but here in New Bedford, we got Wareham's Jules Tavares who transferred out of Wilbraham & Monson. And Steve Wynn IS back from Lawrence Academy. Plus we'll have height from Jon Fortes, Cam Walker, and big Lance Burlingame in the middle (depending on how his football injury heels). Therefore, I see great things from this team this season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

[QUOTE]I don't mean to play hometown cheerleader, but here in New Bedford, we got Wareham's Jules Tavares who transferred out of Wilbraham & Monson. And Steve Wynn IS back from Lawrence Academy. Plus we'll have height from Jon Fortes, Cam Walker, and big Lance Burlingame in the middle (depending on how his football injury heels). Therefore, I see great things from this team this season.
    Posted by Ethan+the+Cable+Guy+NB[/QUOTE]

You realize New Bedford was 6-13 last season?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfan12. Show soccerfan12's posts

Alex
    you're my boy and I love you, but Eth is right:
    Tavares and Wynn instantly make them a credible team and just having those two make them a 10 to 12 win team in my estimation if not better...  

what about Durfee?  how will they be?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EthanTheCableGuyNB. Show EthanTheCableGuyNB's posts

Keep in mind, I didn't say anything about the postseason. All I said was I expect great things to happen. I see competitive Big 3 matches with Brockton. Once postseason rolls around, we'll see what happens. My key is if they keep their egos in check, they'll be successful. If egos do become too much of a problem, then they'll more than likely end up like last year as Alex pointed out.

Didn't check who's back from a Durfee squad that made it to the quarterfinals.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slimsmitty1602. Show slimsmitty1602's posts

It dosent matter that they were 6-13 last year. Tavares makes them a top contender in d1 south. all they need is role players and a back uo big man and this team could make it to the garden. yes u have to go through brockton and newton north first, but nb is for real and to stay. trust me, i would know, i saw him play all year at wareham last year and wareham woulda been a d1 contender in the south as well. their games prove it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EthanTheCableGuyNB. Show EthanTheCableGuyNB's posts

That's right. Everyone else needs to step up. JT and Wynn can't hold the entire team up on their own. NB is my sleeper pick to make the South title game, with Newton North coming out on top.

Remember their epic battles in the mid-2000s, with Ed Rodrigues at the helm of a team that included Brian Rudolph, Nick Pontes, and son Ryan taking on Anthony Gurley? We on the way back this year, with NB's dynamic duo taking on NN's Falzon brothers. A beautiful thing, no?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pince34. Show pince34's posts

[QUOTE]Keep in mind, I didn't say anything about the postseason. All I said was I expect great things to happen. I see competitive Big 3 matches with Brockton. Once postseason rolls around, we'll see what happens. My key is if they keep their egos in check, they'll be successful. If egos do become too much of a problem, then they'll more than likely end up like last year as Alex pointed out. Didn't check who's back from a Durfee squad that made it to the quarterfinals.
    Posted by Ethan+the+Cable+Guy+NB[/QUOTE]

Durfee lost in the first round to Madison Park last year, not the quarterfinals.  From what I remember, 9 out of 10 varsity guys were seniors last season, and the junior was a 6"6' kid from South America (?) who missed a bunch of games with an injury.  Unless Durfee has some good transfers, or their underclassmen really improved, they may have a rough go of it this season.  Anybody know what's going on over there that's different from what I said?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moxie2. Show moxie2's posts

Did all you guys forget about the State Champs -- Central Catholic. Watchout they are loaded again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moxie2. Show moxie2's posts

Central Catholic will repeat. They are loaded  1 thru 12

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

[QUOTE]Alex you're my boy and I love you, but Eth is right: Tavares and Wynn instantly make them a credible team and just having those two make them a 10 to 12 win team in my estimation if not better...   what about Durfee?  how will they be?
    Posted by soccerfan12[/QUOTE]

Yes sir, have to realize I'm not in soccer land anymore. He might be right. I'm not the expert anymore....lol. I was just wondering if it was possible to make a jump from 6-13 to contender.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EthanTheCableGuyNB. Show EthanTheCableGuyNB's posts

Well, tonight's opener at LaSalle wasn't a pretty one. Whalers trailing by as much as 13 and not having the lead until the end of the game, but a win's a win I guess (NB 55-52). Give them credit though for playing short-handed. Lance's out for at least 2 weeks. Not sure why Jules and Cam Walker were out tonight. Call-ups from last year's jayvee squad were impressive. However with both Wynn and Jon Fortes in throughout, you gotta wonder if they'll really live up to the hype.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slimsmitty1602. Show slimsmitty1602's posts

Wareham 56 Martha's Vineyard 48

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101214/SPORTS02/12140334

We're a throwback to the old Wareham teams of four guards and a forward. It worked before and there's no reason it can't work again. Last year, there was a lot of pressure on our team. This year, there shouldn't be. The only thing we're lacking is experience so they'll get on-the-job training.

"I told them that the road to championships — whether that's the South Coast Conference, the South Sectional or the State championship — goes through Wareham."

All roads go through Wareham. Do not sleep on this team this year. With potential matchups against New Bedford in the Burgo Classic and a home game against East Boston will tell you a lot about this team. The flash may not be there but the hard work certainly will be. This team will only get better.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pince34. Show pince34's posts

Slim, I agree that you should not sleep on the reigning state champs, but I got a problem with Wareham excluding its games with Durfee and Martha's Vineyard.  Yeah, that's right MARTHA's VINEYARD.  Discounting those two games is a disgrace Slim.  You cannot defend them excluding a game against a D3 team when they are the D3 champs.  Not gonna get the respect that way.  Slim, you and I have the knowledge on this board, that has been proven by our posts, and I know Wareham is your team, but what the heck is up with their excluding games, and against a d3 team no less.  What's up Slim?

[QUOTE]Wareham 56 Martha's Vineyard 48 http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101214/SPORTS02/12140334 We're a throwback to the old Wareham teams of four guards and a forward. It worked before and there's no reason it can't work again. Last year, there was a lot of pressure on our team. This year, there shouldn't be. The only thing we're lacking is experience so they'll get on-the-job training. "I told them that the road to championships — whether that's the South Coast Conference, the South Sectional or the State championship — goes through Wareham." All roads go through Wareham. Do not sleep on this team this year. With potential matchups against New Bedford in the Burgo Classic and a home game against East Boston will tell you a lot about this team. The flash may not be there but the hard work certainly will be. This team will only get better.
    Posted by slimsmitty1602[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tlcsthree. Show tlcsthree's posts

This is a new season anyone can win it.  Good luck to all the teams.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

As I'm reading about all these transfers, I highly suspect some funny stuff is going on in high school basketball. Just out of curiosity, how did New Bedford end up with 2 top transfers? What exactly are the  MIAA rules regarding eligiblity. Lynn English also ended up with a top transfer from Charlestown.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tlcsthree. Show tlcsthree's posts

Maybe thats where they live now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EthanTheCableGuyNB. Show EthanTheCableGuyNB's posts

For anyone that's interested, Boston English at New Bedford will be broadcast LIVE tomorrow night (12/20) at 7 on http://www.highschoolsports.com/stations/new-bedford.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slimsmitty1602. Show slimsmitty1602's posts

Is wasnt so much NB landed 2 transfers, as to where they were before. Steve Wynn used to go to NB before he went to Lawrence Academy. Jules Tavares im not so sure, he was born there but had been a Wareham product his whole life. Im under the impression the AD or principal didnt welcome him back, but that im very unclear.

Pince,
    MV as an exclusion game makes me sick to my stomach but I think he did it for a good reason. Brogioli was unsure of the team he would have this year, very unsure. I believe he just wanted conference games to count. But at the same time, they have East Boston again on their schedule. Could be an important game on where they stand overall. All roads still go through Wareham.

Top 20 looks good except I dont believe Andover should be #4
    New Mission should be higher, they may be the best team in the state.
    Wareham will be good this year, but not #10 maybe 15 or lower.
    Salem and Mansfield also lower. Yes they were goos last year but they put a magic run together. Falmouth, Milton, Spellman, and Wareham were better in the south as a whole.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EthanTheCableGuyNB. Show EthanTheCableGuyNB's posts

Once again, Boston English at New Bedford will be broadcast LIVE tonight at 7 on http://www.highschoolsports.com/stations/new-bedford, your chance to decide if this team lives up to the hype.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from thelayoftheland. Show thelayoftheland's posts

[QUOTE]As I'm reading about all these transfers, I highly suspect some funny stuff is going on in high school basketball. Just out of curiosity, how did New Bedford end up with 2 top transfers? What exactly are the  MIAA rules regarding eligiblity. Lynn English also ended up with a top transfer from Charlestown.
    Posted by AlexFilides[/QUOTE]

Stevie Wynn already lived in New Bedford, playing his first two seasons there.  Jules was born in NB, moving to Wareham to live with relatives after some family issues.  He's not welcome at Wareham for a variety of reasons, must be living with different family members in NB or maybe his guardians moved?  If your family moves, you get a waiver, no questions asked.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FIVEequalsONE. Show FIVEequalsONE's posts

Don't sleep on CRLS.  For the first time since the mid 80's they have tons of height and depth and at the wing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaRocket. Show DaRocket's posts

Don't think Andover at #4 took into account BC-bound Brian Miller being out for the season with a knee injury.  With Miller they would be right there with CC.  Without they are good but not Top 15 material.  At least not yet.

Sections
Shortcuts