Boys High School Soccer - Preseason Predictions (North)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aksjh. Show aksjh's posts

Boys High School Soccer - Preseason Predictions (North)

Let's start a new, and always fun and exciting year of high school soccer. Who are your favorites to win the North? Will Newton North make their run in the tournament again as a 19 seed? Somerville? Prep? Framingham back on the rise?  Masco? East Boston? Everett? Anybody have a preseason Top 20-25 out there based on returning players? Share your thoughts and let's go.

Let's not leave out D2 and D3 though! Also open for them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xsoccer92. Show xsoccer92's posts

Re: Boys High School Soccer - Preseason Predictions (North)

Paging AlexFilides...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

I have as much information as you guys. It's almost impossible to know which players are coming back from the previous season, that info is just not available, unfortunately. I wish it was.

One thing I did learn from last season is when Don Brock(Needham coach) says the Bay State is as strongest it's ever been, it's best to listen.

Newton North? Had a lousy 2009. Bounced back in 2010 with a decent regular season and an amazing run in the tourney. I think I remember someone saying they had quite a bit coming back.

I do know the coach was not re-signed at Medford and the players may boycott the season.

East Boston? Unless DiBennedetto? can get them by the first round, I can't really take them seriously. He runs a very tight ship at East Boston, at least he did when he was at MP. However, don't get me wrong, I would like them to see them do well.

Masco and Everett? No info at this time.

Scarpelli's Somerville team's are getting better and better by the year, sooner or later they'll be contending for a serious run toward the state championship. I just don't know who they have coming back. Morais is of course gone.

I have a feeling Framingham might be back up top based on past history.

Concord-Carlisle lost quite a bit, probably more than any contending team. And it wouldn't surprise me to see them back in the state championship game in 2011.

There are no returning Globe scholastics for this season, they were all seniors, unless you count the prep and private schools.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

I think 3 of Catholic Memorial's "league all-stars" return. They played quite a few good teams where they lost by just one goal last year. I'm expecting a big season from them once again. Potentially a very dangerous team in 2011.

If Finn stays for a while, this team could end up being a dynasty.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aksjh. Show aksjh's posts

Masco has some youth, and a couple returning starters. They tend to play a competitive schedule every year. And do exceptionally well. I don't see a deep tournament run from them though.

Peabody looks decent but nothing special. Lost Finkelstein, but other than that nothing significant. Think they'll win their league and lose early again to another low seed, same story as last year.

Word on the street is Medford got their coach back. Returning quite a few as well. Look for another disciplined, organized team out of them..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from djr5. Show djr5's posts

St Johns Prep looks very strong.  They graduate 11 or 12 seniors but that is true every year.  Lots of club and academy players.  They return their leading goal scorer as well as a few other talented seniors.  Should win the Cath. Conference easily.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

In Response to Re: Boys High School Soccer - Preseason Predictions (North):
    [QUOTE]St Johns Prep looks very strong.  They graduate 11 or 12 seniors but that is true every year.  Lots of club and academy players.  They return their leading goal scorer as well as a few other talented seniors.  Should win the Cath. Conference easily.
    Posted by djr5[/QUOTE]

Do you think CM or even BC High could give them a run?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from djr5. Show djr5's posts

CM and BC High are the usual contenders in the conference.  For this year at least, SJP has the strongest team by far on paper.  BC High loses a ton of seniors and has some strong young talent but not a ton of it.  I don't know a ton about CM but they seem to be in a similar situation. Of course, anything could happen, but SJP seem to be the clear front-runner.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FAMSony. Show FAMSony's posts

By what we saw in D1 last season, the Bay State Confernce seems to be the most competative league, which seems to help them come November. Framingham will be the top team as they had a very young team last year with Weymouth, Newton North right behind them. As for Brookline, Neeedham and Braintree, I'm gonna assume they're good teams but might not be as lucky as last year and all make the tournament. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wingsover. Show wingsover's posts

anyone got a top 25?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clemlabine. Show Clemlabine's posts

Alex is in the house--it must be fall.  Glad to know you are still setting the table here. 

The Concord Carlisle report is that they have only 4 starters back from last year's crew, and their back-up goalie went to Rivers.  They have two studs, and a few others who are very good, but depth will hurt, particularly early on.  Coach Pavlic will get them better quickly, but the inevitable nicks, bruises and more serious injuries will not be as easily absorbed as they were last year.  That will probably keep them from returning to the finals.  Winchester was terrific last year.  I wonder how graduation effected them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from m8932. Show m8932's posts

After an undefeated regular season, middlesex league championship, and D2 North finals appearance, Winchester lost its entire coaching staff, one is now the girls varsity coach at Arlington, another is assisting him, and another is now the boys varsity coach at Austin Prep.

They also lost two emass all stars and a bunch of seniors, should be interesting to see how they do, best of luck to them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aksjh. Show aksjh's posts

[QUOTE]After an undefeated regular season, middlesex league championship, and D2 North finals appearance, Winchester lost its entire coaching staff, one is now the girls varsity coach at Arlington, another is assisting him, and another is now the boys varsity coach at Austin Prep. They also lost two emass all stars and a bunch of seniors, should be interesting to see how they do, best of luck to them.
    Posted by m8932[/QUOTE]

Wow, talk about drastic losses. It'll be interesting to see this Winchester team turn it around, if possible.

I haven't heard much coming from the GBL, aside from the Medford Coach situation. All 6 teams in the league made the tournament, which is very rare. But, small league, lots of non-league play leading to chances to make .500. Anything good anyone can inform us with?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

[QUOTE]Alex is in the house--it must be fall.  Glad to know you are still setting the table here.  The Concord Carlisle report is that they have only 4 starters back from last year's crew, and their back-up goalie went to Rivers.  They have two studs, and a few others who are very good, but depth will hurt, particularly early on.  Coach Pavlic will get them better quickly, but the inevitable nicks, bruises and more serious injuries will not be as easily absorbed as they were last year.  That will probably keep them from returning to the finals.  Winchester was terrific last year.  I wonder how graduation effected them.
    Posted by Clemlabine[/QUOTE]

Hey Clemlabine,

Any update on the rest of the DCL? How do A-B and L-S look this season?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrapa-. Show scrapa-'s posts

What was the final outcome of the Medford coaching situation?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hssoccer10. Show hssoccer10's posts

The coach from Medford was brought back.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aksjh. Show aksjh's posts

Only another week and the games begin!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Still hardly anything in the papers on team profiles, hopefully we'll get some stuff by Labor Day.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clemlabine. Show Clemlabine's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boys High School Soccer - Preseason Predictions (North) : Hey Clemlabine,     Any update on the rest of the DCL? How do A-B and L-S look this season?
    Posted by AlexFilides[/QUOTE]
    Alex,

A little pre-season round robin soccer today--games seemed to last at least a half. 
    Reading beat Concord Carlisle 3-1
    Reading tied LS 1-1,
    CC beat Woburn 2-0, and
    Woburn tied LS 1-1.

Reading played with nice defensive intensity......Woburn has a goalie and forward that seemed particularly noteworthy.....Reading needed a goal in final seconds to tie LS.  Good games......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from aksjh. Show aksjh's posts

Anything good for this upcoming week? 

Framingham will open at Wellesly this upcoming Wednesday, not much word on the two though. 

St. John's open up at Masco on Thursday, I see a solid game between the two. Masco looking to make a statement early as they did last year. 

In the GBL, Medford-Somerville play Friday in Medford. Everett-Malden open up their seasons in Malden on Friday also. 

If there's anything else, scores to scrimmages, upcoming games, share! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

I saw the corner kicks section of the soccer section. Looks like it was a new guy hyping up the Cape Ann League. I'll check the local newspapers again tonight, kind of disappointing, season opens in a few days and not much information so far.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

If there is a more in-depth article about 2011 high school boys soccer, in the globe, please let me know and I'll purchase the online edition of the paper.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Just got some info:

It would appear in the Middlesex, it's still Lexington and Winchester 1 and 2. There was mention Belmont could contend for the 3rd spot, maybe even Reading who has improved from last season could sneak in there. I'm not sure, but this could be Burlington's best season, they started off strong last season 3-0-0, beat a couple of good teams, before falling apart. Would like to see Woburn get back into the mix.

I'm hearing Somerville is most likely to win the GBL. Someone mentioned Everett was pretty good. Medford should be okay. Don't know about Malden and Cambridge.

Brookline, Framingham and Weymouth battling it out for first, possibly Newton North not far behind. Needham might have a young team. Not sure on Braintree yet. The other side, Natick, Walpole and Wellesley compete with these teams and then disappear once the tournament comes about. Not sure why.

St. John's and Catholic Memorial in the Catholic Conference. St John's wins the division, CM goes further than SJP in the tourney. Would like to know more on BC High.

Cape Ann is solid. the usuals, Masconomet, Wilmington and N. Andover with Rockport maybe in that mix. Georgetown is better. Triton, Pentucket and Hamilton Wenham should be strong middle teams.

DCL? Acton-Boxboro might be the favorite. Lincoln-Sudbury second. Concord-Carlisle, may take some time to hit their stride. Not sure on the rest of the teams. Weston, Wayland and Bedford a few years back have been putting up some competitive teams.

Boston City League- Madision Park, East Boston and Burke, same old story, great regular season and flop in the tourney. I'm sending them all home in the first round this year, unless maybe one of them gets Metheun in the first round, then maybe I'll think about it. Wink

Tri-Valley-Medfield has been the team in that division.

Hockomock-Canton should be up top again, not sure else will fall behind. The teams behind are very competitive and can win games in the tourney.

Atlantic Coast-probably Sandwich and Nauset. Marshfield and Falmouth you never know, they could be between average and very very good. Plymouth N. has had good teams in the past, but it's been a while. Plymouth S. and D-Y no info and usually doesn't compete with the other teams.

Patriot-Silver Lake had a nice run. Hingham might be okay, maybe Duxbury, but have no info on teams in that league.

Sections
Shortcuts