EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25) AND TOURNEY SOCCER CONVO.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfan12. Show soccerfan12's posts

Alex/Slow

Madison Park is 14-0-2 so should probably be number one overall by the huge strength of schedule advantage over Winchester, C-C plays a good schedule too and would probably beat Madison head to head, but I would love to see a full season of Madison vs. Lincoln-Sud, C-C, Lex, A-B, Winch etc... and see what would happen  -- my sense is Madison would hold their own and split matches with those clubs... this year's Madison edition is the best put together side since I have been following these things (6 or 7 years...)  -- city league playoffs may feature Hyde Park and Brighton too, FYI...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Re: EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25)

In Response to Re: EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25):
    [QUOTE]So many Div 2 teams so highly ranked,  tough with strength of schedule to evaulate.  Canton tied N attleboro, Attelboro div 1 teams I just think a Brockton or Madison park would kill them...
    Posted by slowbutquick[/QUOTE]

I think there are a few reasons behind this. A lot of the D-1 schools are cities with highly densely populated areas, many with low income housing. Most single parents, mostly mother's try to find affordable housing, but sometimes there is no father figure to steer the child in the right direction academically, so some of the kids either end up dropping out or fail making them ineligible. A lot of times these families move from city to city, some immigrate from other countries so sometimes you get a system where the kids aren't used to playing together on the same team, where in more suburban like areas are two parent families that provide a strong support system for their children. A high majority of the suburban families tend to stay in the same small city/town until at least past the child's high school career. Soccer is definitely the sport of choice in a suburban setting compared to football in an urban setting. I think also a higher percentage of D-1 school kids need to work afterschool, which would be another reason. A good percentage of urban kids drop sports by the age of 13. Affordability to send kids to soccer camps, travel and playing on select teams when younger add to it. You would think that cities like Lowell, Cambridge and Durfee would dominate in soccer each and every year due to their enrollment.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

It wasn't very well worded or seperated, but you get the idea.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfan12. Show soccerfan12's posts

Alex

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Re: Alex

In Response to Alex:
    [QUOTE]
    Posted by soccerfan12[/QUOTE]

Looks like you've written in cryptic ghost code...lol.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfan12. Show soccerfan12's posts

Alex

I am sorry, my friend... ;-)  your point is valid:

there is tremendous footballing talent in Malden, Somerville, Boston, Lowell, Brockton, etc... there is no disputing that -- kids at those schools work, take care of little ones, do after school programs and many have chaotic lives -- programs like C-C, L-S are machines -- kids grow up in those towns worshipping the high school players and that is a good thing... in Boston, very few teams train regularly with their best 11 all there... East Boston may be rare exception...  also you are just dealing with a different type of kid:  many immigrant kids come with a footballing mindset and it can be hard to integrate them into a team -- the L-S kids play a system from age 2 forward in formal uniformed leagues and play together from age 4-14 before they ever enter high school so the same kids have been playing on club teams and town and travel teams for 11 years... and they know the other kids better than they know themselves...  Brockton is a different story because they are a school of 2250 boys and the 3 or 4 "team" kids you need are easily found when you have to cut 100 boys from the team...  Madison Park and Burke and these top city clubs have talented players with flair and passion, they are just not precise passing teams that attack and defend as a unit all the time which is what is successful at the highest levels in the state tournament -- they have players with great individual skill and even tactical knowledge, it's also that their schedules are so bad -- just recently have city teams began to schedule good out of league matches

there has been talk to create a "Super Liga"

Everett
    Malden
    Medford
    Cambridge
    Somerville
    Madison Park
    Burke
    East Boston
    Boston International

9 teams -- 16 match league slate -- would be one of the top 5 leagues in the state year in and out -- would love to see it become a reality: a real Metro Boston City League with great Brazilian, Cape Verdean, African and Portuguese flair... how much fun would a league like that be?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kipmaster24. Show Kipmaster24's posts

Even that "super league" wouldn't be one of the top 5 leagues in the state.  You guys think Canton and Winchester are weak because of their SOS, and then you sight Madison Park as a team that would "kill" them. Yet MP has been the team fattening up on city pigeons all year.  The only good team MP has played is New Bedford.  How is that a strong SOS?  They are lucky to be in the top 10, no chance in hell should they be number 1.

These top city teams with "flair and passion" who have "great individual skill" continuely loose in the playoffs because their players are not as skillful, passionate, or as good as the teams they face.  The city squads usually have a couple guys who can really go, where the other teams are loaded throughout.  Is anyone in the city league as good as DeNormadie(L-S)?

You can sight any number of factors you want, but until they step up and prove it, they will get no respect as soccer players/teams.  Alex you say a good percentage of urban kids drop sports at 13, yet the same teams who do well in high school soccer (Weymouth, Winchester, C-C, ect.) do well at the u-12 MTOC tournaments.

I hope MP is as good as you guys are advertising, I would enjoy seeing a city team take the tourny by storm.  But saying things like "immigrant kids can be hard to integrate into a team", they can't "pass as a team", or "defend as a unit" are just not valid.  Ludlow hasn't seemed to have those problems.  If I remeber correctly isn't MP the team that lost control after they got screwed on a call, which lead to them not participating in the tournament.  I'm sorry but that would never happen at a good footballing school.  No excuses get it done in the post season boys.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Re: Alex

In Response to Alex:
    [QUOTE]I am sorry, my friend... ;-)  your point is valid: there is tremendous footballing talent in Malden, Somerville, Boston, Lowell, Brockton, etc... there is no disputing that -- kids at those schools work, take care of little ones, do after school programs and many have chaotic lives -- programs like C-C, L-S are machines -- kids grow up in those towns worshipping the high school players and that is a good thing... in Boston, very few teams train regularly with their best 11 all there... East Boston may be rare exception...  also you are just dealing with a different type of kid:  many immigrant kids come with a footballing mindset and it can be hard to integrate them into a team -- the L-S kids play a system from age 2 forward in formal uniformed leagues and play together from age 4-14 before they ever enter high school so the same kids have been playing on club teams and town and travel teams for 11 years... and they know the other kids better than they know themselves...  Brockton is a different story because they are a school of 2250 boys and the 3 or 4 "team" kids you need are easily found when you have to cut 100 boys from the team...  Madison Park and Burke and these top city clubs have talented players with flair and passion, they are just not precise passing teams that attack and defend as a unit all the time which is what is successful at the highest levels in the state tournament -- they have players with great individual skill and even tactical knowledge, it's also that their schedules are so bad -- just recently have city teams began to schedule good out of league matches there has been talk to create a "Super Liga" Everett Malden Medford Cambridge Somerville Madison Park Burke East Boston Boston International 9 teams -- 16 match league slate -- would be one of the top 5 leagues in the state year in and out -- would love to see it become a reality: a real Metro Boston City League with great Brazilian, Cape Verdean, African and Portuguese flair... how much fun would a league like that be?
    Posted by soccerfan12[/QUOTE]

East Boston has played most, if not all of the teams in the GBL already. I know Madison Park and Malden have played regular season games in the past, with some pretty exciting contests. Despite that would like to still see the New Bedford/MP series continue, however that may be tough since they already have 16 conference games schedule.  I wouldn't mind seeing a 10 team 2 division league out of that group, play your division 2x and the other teams within the conference once giving you 13 games and still allowing for 5 nonconference games. Wonder if they would have the Boston City Championship? Do you know if this is just for soccer or all sports?

Brockton is certainly an exception to the rule, think they may have the highest enrollment of any D-1 school in EMass when I last checked.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Even that "super league" wouldn't be one of the top 5 leagues in the state.  You guys think Canton and Winchester are weak because of their SOS, and then you sight Madison Park as a team that would "kill" them.

I had Winchester ranked 2nd and Canton in the top 6 or 7. I might agree with you that they might not have one of the Top 5 leagues in the state, however there doesn't appear to be any cupcakes in that "super league" so that would have to be taken into consideration. Even the BSL and DCL have the Norwoods and Boston Latin's.

Yet MP has been the team fattening up on city pigeons all year.  The only good team MP has played is New Bedford.  How is that a strong SOS? They are lucky to be in the top 10, no chance in hell should they be number 1.

Well I thought Somerville was pretty good, maybe not as good as New Bedford, but still at Top 40 ranked team. They may be dangerous in the tourney. I don't think anyone would argue they don't play great teams. I gave them the jump in the rankings after their New Bedford win, however notice they weren't ranked at the start of the season in my Top 25.

These top city teams with "flair and passion" who have "great individual skill" continuely loose in the playoffs because their players are not as skillful, passionate, or as good as the teams they face.  The city squads usually have a couple guys who can really go, where the other teams are loaded throughout.

Think you meant other leagues are loaded. My guess is some of these teams may put their best players on offense, they lack depth and place the weaker players at defense in the Boston City League. It wins games in the BCL, but not in the tourney. Feel free if I'm incorrect. I know a few of the MP teams in the past, that was the case.

Alex you say a good percentage of urban kids drop sports at 13, yet the same teams who do well in high school soccer (Weymouth, Winchester, C-C, ect.) do well at the u-12 MTOC tournaments.

Sorry, I'm not connecting on your point here. I'm missing how that related to kids dropping sports once they turn 13. There is research that supports my theory.

I hope MP is as good as you guys are advertising, I would enjoy seeing a city team take the tourny by storm.  But saying things like "immigrant kids can be hard to integrate into a team", they can't "pass as a team", or "defend as a unit" are just not valid.

So what is the reasoning, in your opinion why they can't succeed in the tournament? I've seen these Madison Park teams in the past and in person, they are extremely talented. I can't make a comment on this year's team, only because I haven't seen them play.

No excuses get it done in the post season boys.

I think you're right, it's time for MP to step up to the plate.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

It should be noted that having extremely talented players doesn't always equate to having an extremely talented "team".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

I think some of the reasons that "may" cause the BCL teams to struggle in the tourney.

*long ball out of the back, sometimes creating a tremendous height advantage between BCL defender and DCL forward.

*one vs. one matchups are shut down with good defensive fundamentals, despite the speed/quickness advantage of the BCL forward.

*BCL defenders are tested by a different style of play than from teams in the tourney.

*major speed advantage between fastest DCL winger against BCL fullback, ball crossed into middle(in air) again forward using height advantage. BCL goalie inexperienced on when to come out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kipmaster24. Show Kipmaster24's posts

I was mostly responding to slowbutquick and soccerfan12's assertions that MP is better than Winchester and Canton and not your ranking.  I wish the globe staff took as much time as you do on the rankings.

But when soccerfan is saying how teams like Burke and MP have more flair, skill, or whatever than the teams they get beat by in the playoffs, I don't agree with that statement.

The things that I quoted were the reasons soccerfan listed for MP and other city teams no succeeding in the past.  I think they don't succeed because they have had less skill and mental toughness then the teams that do.  Maybe this year is different?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfan12. Show soccerfan12's posts

suburbs vs. cities

basically the kids are much easier to coach in the suburbs -- you are dealing with kids who have family and parental support, consistent academic and social schedules and can focus on football, both training and match play -- also you have better qualified and trained coaches as well who understand and know how to design a system and coach kids up -- the whole organized club youth system helps a ton too as many city kids don't play on organized teams until high school -- also like I said, few city teams consistently work with their best 11 on a daily basis training wise -- lack of strong schedules and quality of coaching are big issues as is academic eligibility -- does Lincoln Sudbury ever have a kid not play b/c of grades?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfan12. Show soccerfan12's posts

programs

it's also that the suburban schools have footballing programs with long term coaches and a consistent system which helps -- they have freshman and jv programs (boston city only has varsity teams and some clubs routinely dress 11/12 kids for matches...) -- it is not a fair comparison -- I enjoy watching suburban teams play...

whhich teams in Divs 1, 2 & 3 in EMASS are playing the best right now going into the tournament?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slowbutquick. Show slowbutquick's posts

Good to get some discussion going before the tournment, my point is more the great amount of teams in Div 2 in top 10 (mainly because of their W/L records).  Almost meaningless because the Div 1 and Div 2 teams will not play each other in the tourny so who knows. Some of these Div 1 schools have 4 to 5 times as many students as Div 2 teams. 

Evidence of cross over games is one measure but by no means the only. TVL now plays some crossovers with other leagues but I do not think div. 1 teams. Middlesex plays very little crossovers but Lex is a Div 1 team and Winchester has a Div 2 team.

Cantons games againest Div 1 teams and Medfield is enlighting (as I mentioned Medfield, DS, hop should play Framingham/needham to get them ready for Tourny).  Canton has a very good goalie and good defense wins in HS.  They do struggle againest Div 1 teams that are not ranked.

I think that in CC and LS players stay in those great schools rather than going to privates, especially in these economic times.  I think there is a lot of poaching in Boston schools from Privates, I know in my day Thayer used to do it.

Fun to see what top ranked globe team falls first.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SPORTSRGOOD. Show SPORTSRGOOD's posts

Are the coaches at L/S, CC and other quality big name programs teachers at the schools or outsiders brought in to coach? 

I think if a teacher wants the job their union contract says that they get this over an "outsider".

It takes a special person to put in the work it takes to build a "great" program.  I think it would be interesting to know the number of teachers vs outside people. 

With all the pay to play club teams there are many people making a nice paycheck coaching kids outside of high school play.  I wonder how big of a connection these guys have with high school teams. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rmazaika. Show rmazaika's posts

[QUOTE]Are the coaches at L/S, CC and other quality big name programs teachers at the schools or outsiders brought in to coach?  I think if a teacher wants the job their union contract says that they get this over an "outsider". It takes a special person to put in the work it takes to build a "great" program.  I think it would be interesting to know the number of teachers vs outside people.  With all the pay to play club teams there are many people making a nice paycheck coaching kids outside of high school play.  I wonder how big of a connection these guys have with high school teams. 
    Posted by SPORTSRGOOD[/QUOTE]

It appears from the school websites that both the LS and CC coaches are also teachers. I know this is also true of the AB coach - another strong program.

In terms of hiring a coach - clearly if there is an internal candidate that is as strong as an external candidate - it is a no brainer to me. But that decision I suspect may vary according to the school district.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from miked070707. Show miked070707's posts

I'm not really sure why people are going out of there way to find reasons why the BCL teams do not get it done in the post-season.  In my opinion they are simply not as talented. 

I think people are falling into the trap of thinking that "latin american" players are talented but raw.  This is just a stereotype that I'm not sure is accurate.  The fact is that these suburbs of Boston have more kids that are talented.  Obviously the BCL teams can produce a couple stand out players but they just don't have the depth of the teams in the Bay State League.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccer5589. Show soccer5589's posts

Possible D1 South Rankings

TeamWLTPTS
    1nauset131127
    2weymouth101626
    3walpole122226
    4gnb123226
    5new bedford111325
    6brockton101222
    7natick94321
    8k-p92321
    9wellesley106020
    10bch72620
    11durfee95119
    12attleboro73519
    13franklin61618
    14marshfield86117
    15braintree66517
    16north attleboro66517
    17needham77216
    18falmouth77115
    19w-h66214
    20mansfield57414
    21OA47513
    22DR64113
    23barnstable55212
    24taunton45311
    25cm36410
    26dartmouth3617

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjd339. Show mjd339's posts

Re: Possible D1 South Rankings

In Response to Possible D1 South Rankings:
    [QUOTE]  Team W L T PTS 1 nauset 13 1 1 27 2 weymouth 10 1 6 26 3 walpole 12 2 2 26 4 gnb 12 3 2 26 5 new bedford 11 1 3 25 6 brockton 10 1 2 22 7 natick 9 4 3 21 8 k-p 9 2 3 21 9 wellesley 10 6 0 20 10 bch 7 2 6 20 11 durfee 9 5 1 19 12 attleboro 7 3 5 19 13 franklin 6 1 6 18 14 marshfield 8 6 1 17 15 braintree 6 6 5 17 16 north attleboro 6 6 5 17 17 needham 7 7 2 16 18 falmouth 7 7 1 15 19 w-h 6 6 2 14 20 mansfield 5 7 4 14 21 OA 4 7 5 13 22 DR 6 4 1 13 23 barnstable 5 5 2 12 24 taunton 4 5 3 11 25 cm 3 6 4 10 26 dartmouth 3 6 1 7
    Posted by soccer5589[/QUOTE]

OA only has 5 losses, there 2 losses to brockton didnt count towards their record

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kipmaster24. Show Kipmaster24's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not really sure why people are going out of there way to find reasons why the BCL teams do not get it done in the post-season.  In my opinion they are simply not as talented.  I think people are falling into the trap of thinking that "latin american" players are talented but raw.  This is just a stereotype that I'm not sure is accurate.  The fact is that these suburbs of Boston have more kids that are talented.  Obviously the BCL teams can produce a couple stand out players but they just don't have the depth of the teams in the Bay State League.
    Posted by miked070707[/QUOTE]
    Thats what I was trying to get at as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SPORTSRGOOD. Show SPORTSRGOOD's posts

Re: Possible D1 South Rankings

In Response to Possible D1 South Rankings:
    [QUOTE]  Team W L T PTS 1 nauset 13 1 1 27 2 weymouth 10 1 6 26 3 walpole 12 2 2 26 4 gnb 12 3 2 26 5 new bedford 11 1 3 25 6 brockton 10 1 2 22 7 natick 9 4 3 21 8 k-p 9 2 3 21 9 wellesley 10 6 0 20 10 bch 7 2 6 20 11 durfee 9 5 1 19 12 attleboro 7 3 5 19 13 franklin 6 1 6 18 14 marshfield 8 6 1 17 15 braintree 6 6 5 17 16 north attleboro 6 6 5 17 17 needham 7 7 2 16 18 falmouth 7 7 1 15 19 w-h 6 6 2 14 20 mansfield 5 7 4 14 21 OA 4 7 5 13 22 DR 6 4 1 13 23 barnstable 5 5 2 12 24 taunton 4 5 3 11 25 cm 3 6 4 10 26 dartmouth 3 6 1 7
    Posted by soccer5589[/QUOTE]

Nauset now has two losses

Sandwich beat them 5-0 today

Sandwich coach did a great job and they/he did not repeat the mistakes of the Marshfield game.  He did a good job getting his kids in and out on a warm day.

Maybe he read the posts????

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southshoreexpert. Show southshoreexpert's posts

Mighty Norwell jumps to #16 in Globe poll. I guess next week Carver is guaranteed to jump right into top 5.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfan12. Show soccerfan12's posts

Div 1 North

what does the seeding for Div 1 North look like?

1. Madison Park 12-0-1 (excluded 2 new bedford matches and somerville)
    2. Lexington
    3. St. John's Prep

who else?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohreallly. Show ohreallly's posts

Norwell may have a good record, but come playoff time they will fold in the first round just like last year when Medfield blew them out 5-0. 

Wow Sandwich is the real deal with a big win.  They should go far in D2. 

Sections
Shortcuts