EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25) AND TOURNEY SOCCER CONVO.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lexsocccer23. Show Lexsocccer23's posts

Re: EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25)

Riksed, as a former player in the Middlesex League about 3 years ago for Lexington High, i really need to say ive seen many many teams like Pentucket that have almost unreal records and just get demolished by the first quality matchup they face.  Its all about the teams your beating. Ya Pentucket have a great record but honestly look at the teams they have played and beaten... I dont mean to be harsh but from the research and calls ive made none of the teams they beat are of any quality, NONE of the teams Pentucket have played have a winning record and as a matter of fact most of them dont even have a single win and have played at least 3 games.  That just tells me Pentucket lacks schedule strength.  Dont get too up on them when they are 7-0 against some of the lesser teams in Mass.  Ill agree with you once they play that has an about .500 record and win.  As of right now, ya congratulation to Pentucket's success but thats all id be willing to give them.  Im actually surprised they are even on the top 25, until they prove they can hold their own with quality teams they really haven't proved anything, in all reality it would be more of an issue if they lost to any of the teams they beat due to how bad they all are haha.

Of course ill give you the proof as to why your getting way to over zealous on Pentucket

TEAMS AND RECORDS OF THE TEAMS PENTUCKET HAVE BEATEN

Haverhill 0-3                  Manchester Essex 2-2

Amesbury 0-2                Georgtown 2-3-1

Newburyport 1-2-1         Ipswich 0-7-1

Triton 0-3-2

IF you look at that and still think Pentucket should be ranked higher than i honestly dont know what to tell you.  They've only played and beaten ONE team with a record of .500 all the rest not even close.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lexsocccer23. Show Lexsocccer23's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25):
    Alex's Top 25 Rankings Week of 9/26/10 1. Lexington              3-0-1 2. Concord-Carlisle     4-0-1 3. Brockton               4-0-1 4. Brookline               5-0-1 5. New Bedford          3-0-0 6. Winchester            3-0-1 7. Masconomet          4-0-1 8. Sandwich              6-0-1 9. Lincoln-Sudbury      2-2-0 10. Canton                5-0-0 11. East Boston         3-0-0 12. Weymouth           4-1-2 13. Nauset                5-0-1 14. Madison Park        3-0-0 15. St. John's Prep     3-1-2 16. Acton-Boxboro     3-0-2 17. Wayland              4-0-1 18. Attleboro             3-1-1 19. Walpole               5-1-0 20. Natick                 5-1-0 21. Pentucket            6-0-0 22. Weston               4-1-0 23. Hingham              3-0-3 24. Braintree             3-1-3 25. King Philip            2-1-0 Others to watch: Hanover(4-0-1), N. Andover(4-1-1), Hamilton-Wenham(3-0-2), Peabody(4-0-0), Chelmsford(4-0-1), Danvers(3-2-0), Hopkinton(5-1-0), Medfield(5-2-0)
    Posted by AlexFilides

Alex, What do you think about Lexington this year,  I used to play for the team from 04 to 08 and we had many heart breaking runs in the D1 tournament losing if i remember correctly 3 times in the semi-finals by one goal and very tight games.  Do you think after the big let down Framingham has been that this is Lexington's year to end the curse of the D1 tournament? I played with Robert Balentin and he is rightfully so one of the best defenders in the state.  I just hope this is the team to finally bring the state trophy home.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

your 11th ranked team lost to Malden 1-0, the worst team in the GBL
    Posted by hssoccer10

Yeah, shame on EB for losing to Malden. What can I say? On paper this sounded like the best team ever to come out of East Boston, which would explain the high ranking. Playing teams from the BCL doesn't do much service for them really.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Nice to see you added Pentucket. Now 7-0-0. Their record before tonight wasn't good enough to warrent even an "others to watch"? Now 2 goals against, for 7 games, they are in 21st? WOW! Those top 20 teams must be something!
    Posted by riksed

Pentucket hasn't played great teams, but they still do play in the very tough Cape Ann League. And they have dominated, the 21st ranking is more than justified. At last check, embarrassingly for the Merrimack Valley, the CAL has owned them. Haverhill has lost to all 3 CAL teams they've played so far. Some of these schools in the Merrimack have about 10x the enrollment as some of the CAL teams. For the small numbers, I must say the CAL is very good quality soccer.

Don't be entirely shocked to see Pentucket overtake Masco and N. Andover this season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25) : Alex, What do you think about Lexington this year,  I used to play for the team from 04 to 08 and we had many heart breaking runs in the D1 tournament losing if i remember correctly 3 times in the semi-finals by one goal and very tight games.  Do you think after the big let down Framingham has been that this is Lexington's year to end the curse of the D1 tournament? I played with Robert Balentin and he is rightfully so one of the best defenders in the state.  I just hope this is the team to finally bring the state trophy home.
    Posted by Lexsocccer23

Lexington has only one obstacle in the North and that's Lincoln-Sudbury, they've lost a couple, but haven't been at 100% as of early in the season. I don't think St. John's Prep has enough to contend. Brookline is solid, but think Lexington will take them out if they meet.

Brockton might be the only team in the south that can compete with Lex.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dangle95. Show dangle95's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25) : Lexington has only one obstacle in the North and that's Lincoln-Sudbury, they've lost a couple, but haven't been at 100% as of early in the season. I don't think St. John's Prep has enough to contend. Brookline is solid, but think Lexington will take them out if they meet. Brockton might be the only team in the south that can compete with Lex.
    Posted by AlexFilides

Alex, I think you're underestimating Brookline's chances against Lexington. Two years ago in the tournament, Brookline outplayed Lexington in a loss at Lexington. In my opinion, this Brookline team is more skilled than that team. I also believe that this Lexington team is not as strong as their team of two years ago. Furthermore, with the Carey being down this year, Brookline should have home field advantage, and always play well at home.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emasssoccer2010. Show emasssoccer2010's posts

Lexington and Winchester have been absolutely dominant in what is a pretty strong Middlesex League. They're both sitting at 5-0-1 with 20+ goals scored. If you look at the league statistics, 9 of the top 10 scorers are from either Winchester (4) or Lexington (5).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jod20102. Show jod20102's posts

Lexington and Winchester have been absolutely dominant in what is a pretty strong Middlesex League. They're both sitting at 5-0-1 with 20+ goals scored. If you look at the league statistics, 9 of the top 10 scorers are from either Winchester (4) or Lexington (5).
    Posted by emasssoccer2010

Link?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from emasssoccer2010. Show emasssoccer2010's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25) : Alex, I think you're underestimating Brookline's chances against Lexington. Two years ago in the tournament, Brookline outplayed Lexington in a loss at Lexington. In my opinion, this Brookline team is more skilled than that team. I also believe that this Lexington team is not as strong as their team of two years ago. Furthermore, with the Carey being down this year, Brookline should have home field advantage, and always play well at home.
    Posted by dangle95

Sure it could happen. However, Brookline has never gotten over that hump in the tournament in recent years. The hump I mention is beating a Lexington and Framingham to win the North. If they end up meeting in the tournament, it's possible they won't meet until the semifinals where they will be on a neutral field if I'm not mistaken. You never know with the seedings, it takes just a few D-1 teams in weak divisions going 18-0 or 17-1 to throw the pairings for a loop.

Even though the Carey is down, Brookline will still have to contend with the much improved Herget with Natick, Walpole and Wellesley. The other 3 in that division should be W's(Norwood, Milton and Dedham). However the Middlesex is even more down, Winchester is their only real threat in that league right now. Lexington should wind up with the better record.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfan12. Show soccerfan12's posts

Somerville

does anyone know what happened with Somerville and Madison Park Boys Soccer today at Dilboy?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from emasssoccer2010. Show emasssoccer2010's posts

Melrose 0 - Lexington 0 @ Melrose... wasn't at the game but am assuming the small field / rain played a factor... still a great result for Melrose

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from justwatchin. Show justwatchin's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25) : Sure it could happen. However, Brookline has never gotten over that hump in the tournament in recent years. The hump I mention is beating a Lexington and Framingham to win the North. If they end up meeting in the tournament, it's possible they won't meet until the semifinals where they will be on a neutral field if I'm not mistaken. You never know with the seedings, it takes just a few D-1 teams in weak divisions going 18-0 or 17-1 to throw the pairings for a loop.  Even though the Carey is down, Brookline will still have to contend with the much improved Herget with Natick, Walpole and Wellesley. The other 3 in that division should be W's(Norwood, Milton and Dedham). However the Middlesex is even more down, Winchester is their only real threat in that league right now. Lexington should wind up with the better record.
    Posted by AlexFilides

Weymouth 3 Brookline 2  -  at Brookline in terrible conditions. 
    Weymouth scrimmages Lexington every pre-season, always an EVEN match-up, by the way never count out Norwood, Milton, Dedham or others from the BSC that appear to be down because they ALL can play!  The Middlesex league is very weak and because they don't have room in their schedule for nonleague game opponents from others leagues can't show it. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jason12343. Show jason12343's posts

I was at the game Brockton vs. NB.  NB had two shots on net, one went in on a through ball that was put away nicely.  Brockton had more opportunities but never really tested NB keeper.  NB alot of route 1 balls, Brockton tried to play more soccer even in bad conditions.  NB not as strong as last year but still a good team.  One ref was a joke getting numerous calls wrong, mostly against Brockton.  Soccer is the most demanding high school sport when it comes to officiating, yet get the worst officials of any sport.  Need to replace these dinosaurs that can't keep up with the play and only know the sport through a rule book the players and fans deserve better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m8932. Show m8932's posts

Lexington tied Melrose 0-0?  Really?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from emasssoccer2010. Show emasssoccer2010's posts

They did, and conceded 1st place in the league to Winchester (who beat Watertown 4-0)... the first time they haven't been in possession of first place in almost 5 years

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohreallly. Show ohreallly's posts

Jason12343, couldn't agree more with the horrible referees which are assigned to varsity soccer games.  There are some good referees, but unfortunately they are the exception.  The referees that work the high school games pass the lowest standards and many of them are less qualified than rec. referees.  Most of them are out of shape, cannot move, and don't see well.  Their calls are atrocious, ill-timed, and usually wrong. Their horrible officiating overshadows the few referees who are doing a good job and actually know the game.  The MIAA wants to encourage good sportsmanship, but neglects looking at the referees. When games get physical it is usually because the referees are not making the calls or are making horrible calls.  Time for a change.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from emasssoccer2010. Show emasssoccer2010's posts

Scores from Thursday:

Woburn 2 - Stoneham 3
    Melrose 3 - Watertown 2
    Reading 0 - Wakefield 1
    Winchester 8 - Burlington 0

I'm not sure of the Lexington - Belmont game, but I've heard rumors Lexington lost... I will be able to clear this up tomorrow. If so, that would be Lexington's first lost in the Middlesex League since 2007

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Scores from Thursday: Woburn 2 - Stoneham 3 Melrose 3 - Watertown 2 Reading 0 - Wakefield 1 Winchester 8 - Burlington 0 I'm not sure of the Lexington - Belmont game, but I've heard rumors Lexington lost... I will be able to clear this up tomorrow. If so, that would be Lexington's first lost in the Middlesex League since 2007
    Posted by emasssoccer2010

Word on the street is that Belmont and Lexington played to a scoreless tie, 0-0.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lexsocccer23. Show Lexsocccer23's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25) : Word on the street is that Belmont and Lexington played to a scoreless tie, 0-0.
    Posted by AlexFilides

Ya it was a 0-0 tie, from what i heard from a few players it was a pretty dull, uneventful game due to weather conditions.  But from my experience from playing in the Lexington-Belmont matchup, there always closely played games so im not surprised.  The 08 and 07 years when we had arguably the best teams Lexington has had both years i know we tied Belmont once each year.  Theres not a whole lot to read into here other than a good result for Belmont. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

1. Concord-Carlise 6-0-1
    2. New Bedford 5-0-0
    3. Winchester 8-0-1
    4. Lexington 6-0-3
    5. Brockton 5-1-1
    6. Weymouth 7-1-2
    7. Sandwich 8-0-1
    8. Canton 5-0-0
    9. Lincoln-Sudbury 5-2-0
    10. Brookline 5-1-3
    11. Masconomet 6-0-1
    12. Walpole 8-1-0
    13. St. John's Prep 5-2-2
    14. Weston 6-1-0
    15. Madison Park 5-0-1
    16. Wayland 6-1-1
    17. Nauset 6-1-1
    18. Attleboro 4-1-1
    19. Hingham 5-0-3
    20. Hamilton-Wenham 4-0-2
    21. Medford 6-1-1
    22. Acton-Boxboro 3-1-3
    23. King Philip 3-1-1
    24. North Andover 6-1-1
    25. Natick 6-2-1

Others to Watch: Braintree(4-2-4), Hanover(4-0-1), Chelmsford (4-0-1), Peabody(4-0-1), Hopkinton(6-1-0), Danvers(5-2-0), Medfield(5-2-0), Wellesley(6-3-0), Pentucket(7-1-0), East Boston(5-1-1), Bp. Feehan(6-1-1)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

I'm going to try to explain somethings that look out of the ordinary. Masco didn't exactly drop, there were teams that just had some good wins that moved ahead. Weymouth had a great week, therefore made a jump up. Hamilton Wenham defeated Pentucket and in a way takes there spot in the Top 25. Hopkinton and Medfield will crack the Top 25 if they continue to win, still early. I wasn't going to consider a GBL team in the Top 25, but Medford has gotten hot and the Danvers game may have been more of a fluke. After the first 20 which seem solid down to Hingham, it looks like there will be a lot more changes between the 20-25 spots, basically all the teams from 20 to the last team on "Others to Watch" are fairly close.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

I'm also not sure what to do with BC High? They are 1-1-5, but have tied #5 Brockton, #13 SJP, and #10 Brookline 1-1. But how can you reward a team that has 1 win in 7 tries?

BC High's 2 hour practice plan as the tourney approaches.

4-4:20 run laps and visualize hitting a penalty kick.
    4:20-4:40 penalty kick and goaltending strategy.
    4:40-5:00 penalty kick practice
    5:00-5:20 watch video of penalty kicks
    5:20-5:40 the physics of the ball on a penalty kick
    5:40-6:00 how to use the fans to distract the other team on penalty kicks.
    homework write an essay on the greatest penalty kickers of all time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccer4. Show soccer4's posts

I think BCH is a team to look out for down the road. in their ties vs Brockton, Prep, and Brookline, they were ahead 1-0 in all 3 games. in their other 2 ties they failed to score. They just beat Marshfield today so maybe this will spark a run for them. under the radar team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfan1232. Show soccerfan1232's posts

I think danvers should be ranked they beat salem, medford who is ranked and easily with some lukc could have beat masco and north andover. losing to both after having the lead for most of the game. They are 6-2 which is a better record than medford who is ranked who they beat 5-1 convincingly. Just consider danvers they are real

Sections
Shortcuts