EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25) AND TOURNEY SOCCER CONVO.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rmazaika. Show rmazaika's posts

Re: EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25)

In Response to Re: EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25):
    In Response to Re: EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25) : Concord-Carlisle defeated Weston 4-0 Not sure if Hopkinton actually played Weston, maybe it was Westwood. The Tri-Valley doesn't normally play out of conference.
    Posted by AlexFilides

Hopkinton did play at Wayland and the final was Hopkinton 4 Wayland 0.

The TVL plays a small number of games out of league (boys side only) as starting last year Millis dropped their varsity program. This year Hopkinton's two out of league contests were a 3-0 win at Nipmuc and the 4-0 win at Wayland.

Another game of note for the TVL was a 1-0 win for Canton over Medfield. From the Globe's game report it sounded like Medfield had the better of play and Canton was fortunate to escape with the win.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slowbutquick. Show slowbutquick's posts

I was at the Medfield/Canton game and will confirm. Medfield gets all caught up in emotion and whines and loses focus.  Canton much cooler under pressure.  Medfield  Coach has to get a handle on that or they will choke.  Great talent though.

I thought I saw Silver lake losing to Hingham.
    Surprised to see Nauset pound Mansfield but it will be tough for them in the Div 1 tourny.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rmazaika. Show rmazaika's posts

I was at the Medfield/Canton game and will confirm. Medfield gets all caught up in emotion and whines and loses focus.  Canton much cooler under pressure.  Medfield  Coach has to get a handle on that or they will choke.  Great talent though. I thought I saw Silver lake losing to Hingham. Surprised to see Nauset pound Mansfield but it will be tough for them in the Div 1 tourny.
    Posted by slowbutquick

From the Hingham team website. Silver Lake 2 Hingham 0. Hingham is now 8-1-3

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfan12. Show soccerfan12's posts

Div 1 North

let's try to put together a seeding for D1 North

1 Madison Park
    2 Masco
    3 East Boston
    4 Medford

Alex, Help!!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Re: Div 1 North

In Response to Div 1 North:
    let's try to put together a seeding for D1 North 1 Madison Park 2 Masco 3 East Boston 4 Medford Alex, Help!!!!!!
    Posted by soccerfan12

How about a little predictions of where they will end up in the tournament?

1. Madison Park       16-0-2      .944
    2. Masconomet        16-1-1      .917
    3. Lexington            14-0-4      .889
    4. Peabody              13-2-1     .844
    5. Lynn English        13-2-1      .844
    6. Lincoln-Sudbury   12-2-2      .813
    7. East Boston        13-2-3      .806
    8. Chelmsford          15-3-2     .800
    9. Chelsea               9-2-2      .769
    10. Acton-Boxboro   11-2-4      .765
    11. St. John's Prep   11-2-5      .750
    12. Medford            12-2-6      .750
    13. Brookline           11-3-4      .722
    14. Revere              11-4-3      .694
    15. Somerville          11-5-2      .667
    16. Cambridge           9-4-5      .639
    17. Brighton              9-6-0      .600
    18. Hyde Park           9-6-1      .594
    19. Newton N.           7-5-6      .556
    20. Westford             8-7-1      .531
    21. Woburn               9-8-1      .528
    22. Lowell                 7-7-2      .500
    23. Everett               7-7-2      .500

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

What's interesting is if this held up, look at one side of the bracket.

1. Madison Park
    4. Peabody
    5. Lynn English
    8. Chelmsford
    9. Chelsea
    12. Medford
    13. Brookline
    16. Cambridge
    17. Brighton
    20. Westford
    21. Woburn

vs the other side

2. Masconomet
    3. Lexington
    6. Lincoln-Sudbury
    7. East Boston
    10. Acton-Boxboro
    11. St. John's Prep
    14. Revere
    15. Somerville
    18. Hyde Park
    19. Newton N.
    22. Lowell
    23. Everett

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

You have Masconomet, Lexington, Lincoln-Sudbury, Acton Boxboro, St. John's Prep and Somerville on one side of the bracket. This would be my bracket for D-1 N.

1. Lexington
    2. Lincoln-Sudbury
    3. Masconomet
    4. Acton-Boxboro
    5. St. John's Prep
    6. Madison Park
    7. Brookline
    8. Medford
    9. Somerville
    10.Peabody
    11.Chelmsford
    12. E. Boston
    13. Newton N.
    14. Framingham
    15. Cambridge
    16. Westford
    17. Woburn
    18. Everett
    19. Lynn English
    20. Lowell
    20. Revere
    21. Chelsea
    22. Hyde Park
    23. Brighton

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slowbutquick. Show slowbutquick's posts

Is chelsea Div 1?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Is chelsea Div 1?
    Posted by slowbutquick

Yep, and actually a while back they were D-3, in the 90s.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jason12343. Show jason12343's posts

My predictions if that is where they end up
    Madison Park 3 Woburn 1
    Peabody 2 Westford 1
    Lynn English 0  Brighton 1
    Chelmsford 1 Cambridge 2
    Medford 3 Brookline 2

Masco 2 Everett 1
    Lexington 4  Lowell 0
    LS 2 NN 0
    East Boston 2 Hyde Park 0
    Acton Boxboro 1 Somerville1  AB OT 2-1
    SJP 2 Revere 0

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kipmaster24. Show Kipmaster24's posts

I hope that's not the way the bracket plays out.  With a handful of games left I'm sure we'll see some movement.  But D1N looks like a tough section regardless.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from c2211. Show c2211's posts

Re:Sandwich "meltdown vs. Marshfield
    Sandwich was missing first string goalie and right defender.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

I hope that's not the way the bracket plays out.  With a handful of games left I'm sure we'll see some movement.  But D1N looks like a tough section regardless.
    Posted by Kipmaster24

All if would take is a couple of wrong predictions for everything to flip flop around and balance itself out. However, it's just another reason why we actually need to seed the teams and not just go by winning percentage.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Re:Sandwich "meltdown vs. Marshfield Sandwich was missing first string goalie and right defender.
    Posted by c2211

I read the article where they allowed 4 goals in the last 17 minutes and actually almost lost the game. It still should be cause for immediate concern and might indicate that Sandwich probably lacks depth. However, missing two of your starters probably shouldn't justify melting down in a game as such. The kids going into the game are varsity players, the head coach puts his trust into them. I just think it's more of a case of his player's letting him down.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southshoreexpert. Show southshoreexpert's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25) : I read the article where they allowed 4 goals in the last 17 minutes and actually almost lost the game. It still should be cause for immediate concern and might indicate that Sandwich probably lacks depth. However, missing two of your starters probably shouldn't justify melting down in a game as such. The kids going into the game are varsity players, the head coach puts his trust into them. I just think it's more of a case of his player's letting him down.
    Posted by AlexFilides

Alex,

Didn't you read Globe article? The coach blamed himself because he pulled his players too early. He was feeling badly because he had beaten some team 9-0 the week before.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SPORTSRGOOD. Show SPORTSRGOOD's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25) : Alex, Didn't you read Globe article? The coach blamed himself because he pulled his players too early. He was feeling badly because he had beaten some team 9-0 the week before.
    Posted by southshoreexpert

He should have blamed himself.  In any tight game he has no player rotation and he plays his best kids into the ground so they have no legs left at the end of games.  It cost them the EMass championship game last year vs CC.   The CC coached moved his kids in and out for quick breaks and the Sandwich kids died on the field and ran out of gas in the second half.   

For the record, he only pulled two players out and only made one sub in the 1st half.  By the time he got them back in it was 4-2 and the balance of the team was tired and sucking wind.  He has already used his timeout so he could not slow down the momentum. 

In this game, they had a new right defender.  He had not played a whole game all year.  The starter is suspended for the year and will not play again  The kid was dying and Marshfield just kept attacking.   The Marshfield coach kept telling his kids to keep playing as he knew the Sandwich guy has always had a problem getting people into the game. 

Marshfield made some great plays and got a great break with a handball just outside the box.  The Sandwich coach made no adjustments at all.  Nothing. 

Sandwich has plenty of talent and depth but a coach that has never been able to figure out how to use his kids.  It has been going on for many years.   

They have to have depth, the article says they won the first four games without their best player, top scorer,  Peter Alverenga and their starting goalie according to the article is out for the balance of the year.

They play Nauset next Tuesday.  Nauset always has the edge in coaching.  Guy does an amazing job getting his kids to play.  Sandwich usually has more talent but Nauset always finds a way to win at home. 

Sandwich will be good next year too.  Other than their captain Nick Cotter, all the top starters, their goalies and top subs are juniors. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jod20102. Show jod20102's posts

Alex - Hopefully the combination of Wayland losing to Hopkinton 4-0 on Monday and beating Weston 2-0 on Wednesday will earn the TVL some respect in your updated rankings...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kipmaster24. Show Kipmaster24's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25) : He should have blamed himself.  In any tight game he has no player rotation and he plays his best kids into the ground so they have no legs left at the end of games.  It cost them the EMass championship game last year vs CC.   The CC coached moved his kids in and out for quick breaks and the Sandwich kids died on the field and ran out of gas in the second half.    For the record, he only pulled two players out and only made one sub in the 1st half.  By the time he got them back in it was 4-2 and the balance of the team was tired and sucking wind.  He has already used his timeout so he could not slow down the momentum.  In this game, they had a new right defender.  He had not played a whole game all year.  The starter is suspended for the year and will not play again  The kid was dying and Marshfield just kept attacking.   The Marshfield coach kept telling his kids to keep playing as he knew the Sandwich guy has always had a problem getting people into the game.  Marshfield made some great plays and got a great break with a handball just outside the box.  The Sandwich coach made no adjustments at all.  Nothing.  Sandwich has plenty of talent and depth but a coach that has never been able to figure out how to use his kids.  It has been going on for many years.    They have to have depth, the article says they won the first four games without their best player, top scorer,  Peter Alverenga and their starting goalie according to the article is out for the balance of the year. They play Nauset next Tuesday.  Nauset always has the edge in coaching.  Guy does an amazing job getting his kids to play.  Sandwich usually has more talent but Nauset always finds a way to win at home.  Sandwich will be good next year too.  Other than their captain Nick Cotter, all the top starters, their goalies and top subs are juniors. 
    Posted by SPORTSRGOOD

That is a great post.  I remember the EMass final last year when Sandwich didn't use any subs.  What a joke.

Substitutions are one of the most underutilized aspects in high school soccer.  I think the problem is many of the soccer coaches come from college or other leagues where substitutions are limited.  In the pros teams are allowed 3 subs throughout the game end of story.

In high school soccer, coaches should be substituting their midfielders and strikers in hockey waves.  It's mind boggling how stupid some of these people are.  Free substitution is a weapon, why not use it?  Even your best players need to be rested or they become passengers for large stretches of the game.

I understand not every team has depth, but a teams 18th player at a 100% is usually better than a teams 7th best player at 70%.  Even though Pavlik and CCHS do a great job of getting their bench guys in, and giving their top guys rest, I'm yet to see any team really take advantage of the rule and fire waves of fresh legs at teams.

No individual can really sprint non stop for more than a couple minutes.  Imagine a team that could sprint for 80 + minutes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

It's hard for me to rip on the coach from Sandwich when they were a below .500 team about 10 years ago to one of the better teams in the state. All I did was make the point that Sandwich could be in trouble with lack of depth. It's possible their coach thinks this is the best strategy, but wasn't at anytime questioning his decision making. My apologies if anyone read into the post and thought it meant something else.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kipmaster24. Show Kipmaster24's posts

I wasn't trying to call out Tedeschi either.  I don't know the man, and based on how Sandwich has done recently he seems to be a good coach in many ways.  But the subbing piece is something many coaches in the area just don't get.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jason12343. Show jason12343's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25) : That is a great post.  I remember the EMass final last year when Sandwich didn't use any subs.  What a joke. Substitutions are one of the most underutilized aspects in high school soccer.  I think the problem is many of the soccer coaches come from college or other leagues where substitutions are limited.  In the pros teams are allowed 3 subs throughout the game end of story. In high school soccer, coaches should be substituting their midfielders and strikers in hockey waves.  It's mind boggling how stupid some of these people are.  Free substitution is a weapon, why not use it?  Even your best players need to be rested or they become passengers for large stretches of the game. I understand not every team has depth, but a teams 18th player at a 100% is usually better than a teams 7th best player at 70%.  Even though Pavlik and CCHS do a great job of getting their bench guys in, and giving their top guys rest, I'm yet to see any team really take advantage of the rule and fire waves of fresh legs at teams. No individual can really sprint non stop for more than a couple minutes.  Imagine a team that could sprint for 80 + minutes.
    Posted by Kipmaster24

I feel there are circumstances when a coach might not use subs.  Some of the tournament games can take place on frigid nights.  Players on the bench can be frozen to the bone and aren't able to get themselves warm enough to compete with the speed of the game coming in cold off the bench.  Especially a team like Madison Park, where the players may not have the financial resources to have quality clothing for these extreme conditions.  The players can't get their bodies warm enough to contribute to their team.  In a case like this a coach may take the weather into consideration and opt not to sub.  Not saying this is Sandwich's case at all, just a coach should take into account many variables when considering subs even though to many it may seem simple.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from c2211. Show c2211's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Boys Soccer Rankings by Week(TOP 25) : I feel there are circumstances when a coach might not use subs.  Some of the tournament games can take place on frigid nights.  Players on the bench can be frozen to the bone and aren't able to get themselves warm enough to compete with the speed of the game coming in cold off the bench.  Especially a team like Madison Park, where the players may not have the financial resources to have quality clothing for these extreme conditions.  The players can't get their bodies warm enough to contribute to their team.  In a case like this a coach may take the weather into consideration and opt not to sub.  Not saying this is Sandwich's case at all, just a coach should take into account many variables when considering subs even though to many it may seem simple.
    Posted by jason12343

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Week of 10/24/10 Top 25

1. Concord-Carlisle    13-0-1
    2. Winchester           12-0-2
    3. Lexington             10-0-4
    4. Lincoln-Sudbury    10-2-1
    5. Sandwich             11-0-2
    6. Weymouth            10-1-5
    7. Canton                11-0-3
    8. Madison Park        11-1-1
    9. Masconomet         12-1-1
    10. New Bedford       12-1-2
    11. Brockton            10-2-2
    12. Acton-Boxboro    10-1-2
    13. St. John's Prep    10-2-2
    14. Walpole              11-2-2
    15. Nauset               12-1-1
    16. Brookline              8-2-5
    17. Medford              10-1-5
    18. Rockport            12-1-0
    19. King Phillip            9-1-3
    20. Hingham               9-1-3
    21. Medfield             10-2-2
    22. North Andover      9-2-2
    23. Dover-Sherborn    8-1-4
    24. Natick                 9-4-2
    25. BC High               6-2-6

Others: Bp. Feehan  10-2-2, Wilmington 8-3-1, Newton N. 7-4-5, Belmont 8-3-3, Weston 7-4-2, Wayland 9-5-1, Pentucket 11-3-1, Attleboro 7-3-4.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Acton-Boxboro has shutout 7 consecutive opponents. How will they fare in D-1 N?

Brookline looking awful during the second half of the season, barely escaping Malden, 4 goals allowed against Wellesley and 3 against Natick.

No updates this season on Rockport? They are 12-1-0. They did beat both Wilmington and N. Andover while their only loss against Masco.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slowbutquick. Show slowbutquick's posts

So many Div 2 teams so highly ranked,  tough with strength of schedule to evaulate.  Canton tied N attleboro, Attelboro div 1 teams I just think a Brockton or Madison park would kill them...

Sections
Shortcuts