EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeymomof3. Show hockeymomof3's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

my pick is Shrewsbury wins

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Agreed Icing, they don't belong in the 4 spot on a good day.  It looks like the Globe is taking the Catholics out of the equation though? If taking the CC & stronger Div II schools out of the equation, I agree with Framingham being a top 10 team within the Div I publics.  Including the CC & stronger Div II schools though, no way.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from abgirlsfan. Show abgirlsfan's posts

You guys are nuts even talking about that Globe poll. Anyone who knows anything knows that that poll is done by throwing darts at a board. They don't even go to any of the games. Just the fact that they have Winchester at # 3 makes my point, go down the rest of it and none of it's makes sense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

Many teams receive their due in the “Polls”, but some need to play better competition to learn where they stand come February. Right now Lexington and Saint Mary’s is the top tier with Hingham, AB, and Arlington pressing to reach the top tier. Everyone else, especially Woburn, needs to play and improve to compete with the top teams come February. The MIAA ranks the teams for the Tournament strictly on win/loss percentage, and some of these teams with stellar records are going to drop out early to more experienced and tested teams. The key is to get in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherhockeydad. Show anotherhockeydad's posts

Both Lynn and Marblehead running up the scores is ridiculous and emabarrasing.  The Peaboy coach is one of the classiest guys in the hockey world and his kids are good clean players.

Congratulations to the MASCO team for only playing the 1st and 2nd lines for 2 or 3 shifts all game.  The MASCO kids should be commended for true SPORTSMANSHIP.

Shame on Lynn and Marblehead!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

Braintree beats previously undefeated Norwood 3-1 on Saturday and then is shutout 3-0 by Hingham on Sunday.  I applaud Braintree for their tough non league schedule.  It will clearly make them stronger for the post season.  It appears the Bay State is very weak, Braintree is far and away the beat team in that conference.  I expect they will hand 6-0-1 Framingham their first lose of the season on Wednesday night.

On another note, who are the top teams in D1?  Mary's is far above any team in D1 but there are a few teams that I feel can hang with them:
    Hingham
    AC
    Arl
    AB
    Lex

I think Braintree could still make some noise, they will have a good record (might not lose in Bay State) so their win percentage will be good and they may get a lucky seed (other side of bracket from Mary's).

What do we know about Barnstable?  Beat a good Duxbury squad, they get Hingham in a few weeks.  I guess that game my answer my question.  L-S beat Duxbury too, maybe I should keep an eye on them too.  L-S plays Arl on Saturday.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hillsideoldtimer. Show hillsideoldtimer's posts

Boy JZ, after getting so upset about my use of the term REAL a month ago, now you have a change of heart. Hmmmm  Well, yes you are making some very valid points.  They do have a very tough schedule.  I have not changed my opinion of them to be a team to watch, which was what I said a month ago when your breakdown of their #'s didn't make them very real for you then.  The first game we played them they showed great skill (potential) but this time, it was just lets see what we can get away with and see if that brings us a win.  It almost worked.

The theory that "they can't call everything" was very evident this game, and they got the perfect refs to go with their game plan.  I didn't see this the first time we played.  They didn't stop even when they started to get calls against.  Having a girl thrown out for 4 penalties is not something to hang your hat on.  One girl got a penalty and was slamming her stick all the way to the box screaming at the ref throwing her hands in the air. She could have easily been thrown out too.  It really wasn't pretty at all.  AC girls were no saints by any means, and we had a few missed against us too, but like I said, mostly retaliating, stooping to their level, if you will.

I don't completely agree with 101464 that they outplayed AC.  I think AC "outplayed" themselves by not scoring. You dont score you dont win.  But I can't really say I thought they were outplayed.  Could be on the fence on that one.

AC still lost the game on lack of offense, I agree with ICING on that, something that came thru the first time we faced them in the 3rd.  I still think they are for "real" but if they continue to play like the other night my opinion will change.  They don't need to play like that, they have enough young talent to win games. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from above-the-law. Show above-the-law's posts

Reading all these posts regarding Austin Prep I felt I needed to state my opinion.  When SMH played Austin Prep earlier, it was tied almost through 2 periods and I will say they stayed with SMH pretty much the entire 2 periods.  I think SMH wore then down in the third but I was thinking to myself AC could beat them.  I personally felt they were let me say just a little "dirty" but very, very physical especially on the boards.  They were pushing a lot of SMH forwards off the puck, especially the smaller forwards.  I thought their goalie was fantastic.  I was very surprised at the way they came out.  I couldn't believe their record when I saw it later on.  I actually thought besides AC, they were the toughest team we played.  I believe they are real, young and could be a very strong force next year with a lot of teams losing talented players such as SMH.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

Anotherhockeydad - see rule 11:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/notebook/_/page/buccigross_091215/my-13-simple-rules-hockey-parents-everywhere

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from billyc16. Show billyc16's posts

every coach should be given 1 of these before each season and be allowed to use it 4 times during a season. after that all goals recorded don't count.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hillsideoldtimer. Show hillsideoldtimer's posts

Above the Law:

I agree 100%. AP is a team to watch. They have very good goaltending and have some real shooters on the team. The first time AC played them I saw this, very similiar to what happened when they played SM's that week.  My prediction a month ago was that they would be much better by end of the season, a thorn in the side of some very good teams. The numbers don't reflect their talents. I was very interested in the fact that JZ pointed out the schedule for AP which is EXTREMELLY difficult.  I'm thinking that may have played a factor into their record. I would be surprized if they have a similiar schedule next season...doubt they will let that happen again.

I would LOVE to see a SUPER-8 for girls.  I wrote about that in our local paper last year.  Its time.  We are having more and more problems with grouping these teams together in a way fair for all.  It can be done, and its time the MIAA took notice of it.  Time for the MIAA to look at the brackets and make some changes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherhockeydad. Show anotherhockeydad's posts

SportsDad,

"Anotherhockeydad - see rule 11:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/notebook/_/page/buccigross_091215/my-13-simple-rules-hockey-parents-everywhere"

Really?  Tell me you don't really believe that?  While he writes a funny column and perhaps is mildly amusing on ESPN, hes not a former player and probably doesn't have hockey playing kids. 

If you take anything from this columnist, take this:

"Enjoy the rink. Keep it fun, keep it in perspective and enjoy the madness. In this digital world of electronics, you may find hockey to be the most human endeavor you partake in. Cell phones run on batteries. Hockey players run on blood. Blood is warmer. Welcome."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

Anotherhockeydad –  

Just showing that that attitude is out there and some do not think it is poor sportsmanship to keep scoring. Some teams are insulted when the other side stops bringing their best effort, making it a tough call.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hillsideoldtimer. Show hillsideoldtimer's posts

Sportsdad23:

Good point!

This weekend we were just talking about this...  sometimes its just as bad to have the team who's winning by 10 goals start to play keep away too.  There is an "art" to doing it right and it usually is just as hard to watch.  I think the solution is better pairings and scheduling.

I like the white flag theory... like in boxing, when the coach has had enough out goes the flag, game ova

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Big-dog. Show Big-dog's posts

In hockey the wrong coach has the white flag, when the winning coach feels the game is in control, out pop the 3rd an 4th liners for the rest of the game. LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nicmcg. Show nicmcg's posts

I feel for some of these teams, Ie. Peabody,Urs,Etc, I feel now is the time to create a DIV 3, we cannot continue to blame the "better Teams" for goals, I know some of the schools have JV teams, maybe for some this is where they should be. It helps no one better or worse when we see such lopsided games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Agreeed nicmcg, the time has come for a Div. III and a Super 8 for the girls.  Even a newbie to the girls h.s. scene such as myself can already see this clearly.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Absolutely JZ, the poll on MassHShockey definately shows a more accurate picture of the girls teams.  While I don't agree totally with the RPI thing coming into play (all I think of with that is the stupid process that the BSC uses in college football and that makes no sense at all sometimes), but it's definately a more accurate listing than the Globes poll. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

jzhiphop07 wrote: ....They still got SMH, Woburn and Winchester again plus the mighty Screwsbury so I have to anoint them with the toughest and most REAL schedule. With 9 games to go Austin has to win that game against Screwsbury to have any shot at the tourney.

Very interesting..with their current 2-7-2 record, they will need to grab 14 points from their last 9 games (7-2-0, 6-1-2, 6-0-3) to get into the tournament. It is doable but they need to take care of business against the teams you mentioned.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Going to take AB's road on this one and just say that since I have nothing nice to say I'm just going to say nothing other than I hope the experiment that was tried in todays game was a one time deal. It didn't work. At all.

Framingham: 4
    Natick: 4

BUT...I must say that the Natick goalie made some incredible saves and definately should get props for an outstanding game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Icing - I like your proposal. Makes too much sense though so it won't happen.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/high_school/index.php/2010/01/11/girls-hockey-super-eight/

The Herald having them at 7 makes a heck of a lot more sense than the Globe having them at 4.  Either way, both are going to be wrong if these girls continue playing the way they did today. OK, am outta here, going to stick to my promise not to say anything since I have nothing nice to say. Night all!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nicmcg. Show nicmcg's posts

Icing,
    When you get "commitee's" involved, it leaves room for personal agenda's to come into play.... I guess the question still becomes how do we improve the level of play in all leagues/ divisions. How can we objectively look at a teams record when it has been not challenged all season. Maybe schedules should be based on the prior year record ensuring say the top 15 all have to play each other once and the balance of the games against non league teams/ etc. Question for anyone, Learn to skate, hockey or figure skates??? No idea what the future holds, pretty costumes or shoulder pads. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from abgirlsfan. Show abgirlsfan's posts

nicmcg-

I have always heard that it is much easier to learn on figure skating blades. She tried them only once, then they tried to put her in that costume, figure skates never had a chance after that. She was wearing eye black when she was 5

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

So it seems where ever you reside in the state there will be a good game near you tomorrow night.  What a night for girls hockey in the state:

Winchester V Woburn - Woburn's 1-1 tie with LS seems so long ago.

Norwood V Wellesley - Is Norwood for real???  We'll see as Wellesley is playing real well right now.

Duxbury V Sandwich - Sandwich's only blemish is a great Hingham team, Duxbury's a strong Barnstable team.

AP V Shrewsbury - This one is sure to have the post forum buzzing. D/goaltending V O,O and more O

Mary's V AC - The big one, does AC have what it takes or is Thursday morning another ( AC played them tough but lost 6-2)

Font V Hingham - Best in D2 V one of the elite in D1, a Font win has me thinking why are they not D1

Framingham V Braintree - Huge Bay State Carey tilt 5-0-1 V 5-0-1. Both teams coming off tough games, 1 team had that game against Hingham, the other Natick???

Just about the half way point of the season and I am super excited to be in the car tomorrow night seeing how many games I can get to.  Time to get the map and the highlighter out.  Woburn then Arlington or Bourne for a period and then Hingham or Wellesley then Randolph.  Marlboro is a no good, but I know I can get a full recap here.

I also think that the RPI rankings on Emass hockey are starting to take form.  Obviously it was going to take 9 or 10 games to get a base but I think they are accurate.  ICING has a great poll and now we have a second legitimate source.
    http://www.emasshockeyonline.com/rankings.html?did=4

Sections
Shortcuts