EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

According to my bubble gum chewing source AC had over 40 through 2 periods and can only go by what I saw in the third..I guess shot charts are subjective.  But I will go with my source especiall since we play the next few in a cold rink that person may buy me some Hot Chocolate too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bb257. Show bb257's posts

ABGF - c'mon I have read your posts and know you are much more intelligent than to post that.  First and foremost a good official is a good official irregardless of gender and  there are plenty of exceptional men out there ref'ing.
    I will agree that you see more officials going thru the motions in the girls game....just there to collect a paycheck.... but there are also some very good officials out there.

Bottom line if you care about the game you will do the best job you  can and that will show.

and, from experience, the girls game is much tougher to call than the boys game.
    plus a statement like that makes you sound like a caveman.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustup4. Show dustup4's posts

...... I love it when the chicks ref too....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billyc16. Show billyc16's posts

tell me sportsdad. why does woburn keep playing the trap against smh. 3 straight games against them and still no goals. someone gots to figure out you have to go up the other end if you want to score. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one BB.  I took it that these particular ref's knew and UNDERSTOOD the girls game as no other male counterparts he had seen previously this season.  There is no doubt that there is a huge difference in the quality of ref'ing you get in the higher level girls games when you have female ref's who played the game and understand that just because it is "no check" does not mean it is a "no contact sport".  They call the game as it should be, the true penalties get called, the game is kept under control, the girls are allowed to play as hard and as aggressively as they can without crossing the line.  When they do, they are called on it.  It's not any "harder" to ref a girls game than it is a boy if the ref understands the game.  The ONLY rule difference between the boys game and the girls game is NO CHECKING. If they don't see a shoulder drop or a hip get thrown towards a body, then it wasn't a check, it was nothing more than your basic body contact that would occur in ANY hockey game. It's not a penalty! Nor is it a penalty when a skater has full control of the puck and is skating along the boards and some silly defenseman thinks skating right into her is going to stop her and then gets knocked down on her keister and the one left standing, who also had the puck mind you, is then going off to the penalty box for "checking".  That's NOT a check. But I've seen numerous girls from both our team and opposing teams go to the box for exactly that.  If the shoulder didn't drop and lead into the opposing player and if the hip didn't get thrown towards the player and make contact than it wasn't a check. It was body contact, nothing more, nothing less. Definately, not a penalty.

I have to say as a whole, from the youth hockey level to high school I have seen a SHARP decline in the quality of ref's this season.  The question is not whether or not it's true, it straight up is.  I've watched ref's from 5 different leagues at 3 different age groups this season alone. There are a handful, if that many, rinks that I can name off the top of my head where I have seen consistent good reffing at, and neither of them is our home town rink just for the record (ours are some of the worst).  The question should be WHY and How Do We Fix It? Is it because there are so many more doing it due to the tough economical times that the pool is so big that it's harder to weed out the bad ones as leagues often eventually do? Or are we losing our ref's at these levels to higher levels because there's more money, so the younger/lower leagues are getting what's left? If not either of those, why the drastic drop? I ask in all seriousness.  I have been watching my kids play this game for 17 years now between the 3 of them. I have never seen an entire season such as this one across all the leagues have such consistently bad reff'ing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from greatestfan. Show greatestfan's posts

FYI:If you are coming to the Hingham game on Saturday at Pilgriim Arena at 7:40p.m. , get there early.  They are expecting a sell out!  The Harborwomen are ready and the fans are too after a great 4 to 2 win against Duxbury last night.  The Duxbury goalie was good, but Hingham was better, capitalizing on their power plays with a few surprises.  The countdown is on!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustup4. Show dustup4's posts

lol....a sell out ??  do they not let people in that show up ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from above-the-law. Show above-the-law's posts

Fans:  As SMH parents we have also been told to be there at least 45 minutes before the game and they are setting aside tickets for us as they expect a sell out.  This should be one hell of a game and I for one am looking forward to it.  If it is anything like last year game - it is like a cage match with fans screaming and quite the bit intensity. 

This could be one of the best games of the season!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bb257. Show bb257's posts

Hockey mom...... well I can't even begin to reply so lets just leave it at that.

No Check absolutely does not mean "NO Contact"  that we agree on

incidental contact is that fine gray area where the official must determine in a split second........  foot speed-  do both players maintain foot speed, intent...is the player trying to separate the opposing player from the puck and body position/angle taken toward the puck/player... have both players established body position.
    I could probably go on ad infinitum but I said I couldn't reply and did... so i'm a liar

when taken seriuosly officiating is the hardest job in hockey

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from above-the-law. Show above-the-law's posts

Boarding - I don't know about that.  When we last played them - they had no offense.  I thought they were strong and aggressive but most of the play was in their end.  I think the score will be more like 4-1.  SMH has strong forwards that backcheck very well and their defense moves the puck up very fast.  In order for Hingham to win, they have to bring their offense which was definetely lacking.  I look forward to a great game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from iced-t. Show iced-t's posts

I predict

Hingham           N
         ST Mary's         2 * N

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

Besides the SMH/Hingham game Saturday here are a couple others I found
    Springfield Cathederal (10-2-1) vs Shrewsbury (12-0-1) SC looks to avenge a 5-2 loss earlier this season.
    Billerica (7-5-1) vs Boston Latin School (6-6-1) Both teams have been playing better hockey of late and both need points to punch their post season tickets.
    Reading (5-5-1) vs Beverly/Gloucester (9-1-2) The Panthers step out of the league to take on a solid team from the always strong Middlesex League.
    Acton/Boxboro (10-2-1) vs Andover (8-4-2)  The Colonials looking for consistancy and the Golden Warriors are looking to avenge a 7-5 loss on opening night.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnotherOneBitesTheDust55. Show AnotherOneBitesTheDust55's posts

last year smh came to hingham with 2 starting forwards out and 1 got hurt during the game. I won't lie- I was one of many who doubted the continuance of the then streak of about 35. This year SMH doesn't have AS to rely on to stay out there all day, but they have all their starting forwards poised to attack. SMH always plays best when they feel most threatened (example: arlington game. I haven't seen them play even close to that good any other game of the season). I can't see Hingham winning this game, but a tie is certainly possible.

SMH- 2
    Hingham- 0

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

BB - the most important part of your response is the phrase "when taken seriously". Yes, when it is,  you are 100% right.  Unfortunately I have seen far too many refs over the years who do NOT take girls hockey seriously.  This past season as a whole both in my daughters boys and girls games (both daughters still play with the boys in addition to their girls teams) the quality of ref's has gone down exponentially. Tier I girls all the way down to Tier II and Tier III boys.  It's just been extroadinarily and noticably much worse this year than I have ever noticed over the past 15 years.  There's a a reason for it, I just don't know what it is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LARRY1990. Show LARRY1990's posts

Anotheronebitesthedust-

Excellent point you made about SMH's giant defenseman  who played the entire game last year. Thanks to all the coaches for setting up such great out of conference games for all the kids and parents and special thanks to SMH coach for giving Hingham 2 chances to break the greatest streak ever in Mass. Hockey history. Can't believe any coach would have passed up such a chance.One thing for certain is Hingham will not stand everyone in front of the net and just try to keep the score down. From these eyes other than the first half of the 1st period in Lynn game the 1st game was pretty even so don't know where Above-the-law gets that 4-1 prediction. Their 1st goal in that game was a bit of a fluke so it seems someone up there is looking after these Catholics. Maybe tomorrow night will be Hinghams big night. I'll say 3-2 Hingham victory. YIPPEE

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustup4. Show dustup4's posts

Larry is right on as are a few other posters.  SM has taken on all comers during the streak, should be a fun game.  great for girls hockey

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from billyc16. Show billyc16's posts

cant make game tonight. can somebody send updates. howbout ghockey...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from magellann. Show magellann's posts

SMH......3
    Hingam..1

Above the Law, you were close on your 4-1 prediction, SM had one goal called off, so good job on that call.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeymomof3. Show hockeymomof3's posts

Reading 1
    Beverly  1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedixiepucks. Show thedixiepucks's posts

AB 2  Andover 1   AB outplayed them but struggles getting the puck in the net

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paycheck4. Show Paycheck4's posts

did ya miss me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to see the SM streak continue with that school taking on all comers.  This thing is really gaining significance.  When the streak ends, I hope it is because they were beaten and not "jobbed" by the ref's. 

Tonights game had many bad calls for both teams.  This was a headliner game, yet the officials were lazy, and lack I dasical (sp?).

They called high sticking 3x, when the puck was no higher than waist high (2X on HHS, and once on SM).

Late in the game, a SM player fired the puck across the crease, it hit a SM player coming out of the corner in the shin and went in.  The SM player did not even see the puck coming or see the puck hit her; yet the ref instantly waives it off saying it was kicked in.

HH takes a timeout, and at the end of thier time, they go and line up, in thier own end.  The SM team breaks, and is not moving fast enough for the ref at the blue line.....he's yelling and signalling for the ref to drop the puck, even thou the closest players are 40 feet away.   Wat a joke, they don;t even pull that kiddie stuff in youth hockey games.

Hingham is a very good team, and thier fans are amoung the best.  I absolutely love that team and program; they don;t need bush league schenegans from the officials.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Framingham 2
    Norwood 1

Great game played by both teams.  I don't think #'s 24, 11 or 7 came off the ice much, if at all, for Norwood.  Game was tied 0-0 for what seemed an eternity until Norwood scored 1st on a PP goal (Maloof).  Framingham tied it up early in the third and then scored the go ahead goal late in the third.  Framingham then went on a mission to control the puck for the remainder of the game and they did an excellent job of doing just that.  Hard, fast physical game played by both teams, could have gone either way with a lucky bounce here for either team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocketfan. Show rocketfan's posts

Paycheck- welcome back !

IMHO- Reading out Played the Beverly Co-op,(Danvers,Saugus,Rockport,Gloucester) most of this game. In the first period the play was in the Beverly end most of it if not all of the period (and only one goal to show for it). Reading still struggles to put the puck in the net and goaltending remains strong.Beverly is a good skating team and plays with a lot of heart and isn't shy about playing a physical style of hockey. The ref's for this game let a lot of STUFF go on both side and because they did this game was physical one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LARRY1990. Show LARRY1990's posts

Icing

You left out 1 thing about how to beat SMH.

You must stop 18!!!! She has 4 out of their 5 goals against Hingham not including the empty netter. Fantastic 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from abgirlsfan. Show abgirlsfan's posts

Final

AB 2
    Andover 1

As usual and as expected this was a very nasty game. 18 penalties in all, 12 on Andover. Is it just me or is it no coincidence that these games against them are always like this. Does anyone have any stories like this about this. I've never seen them play anyone else but AB. They are the most physical group I have ever seen. Anyways, AB goalie played her best game of the year stopping 19 of 20. AB for the most part outplayed Andover bit had a hard time scoring. Hope to turn that around soon. Next up Boston Latin on Monday afternoon 5:30 @ Matthews Arena.

I haven't exactly heard anyone yet say that the Hingham/SMH was as good of a game a predicted. Was it? or did SMH pretty much control it?