EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

Zeon

"Greatest Upset"? 

I believe that SMH played Austin Prep 4 times that year and each team won 2 of the...how is that an upset..They way AC played in the semi and finals NOBODY was going to beat them..They got on a roll and took care of business...It is kind of funny you brought up the AC Championship in 2007...if they get on a roll and pull of the upsets, as you refered earlier, and against all odds and win the 2010 title that will give them 2 in 4 years.....the same as SMH with the huge winning streak......will it happen....stranger thing have happened......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeon1985. Show zeon1985's posts

Icing

Both the games won that year by Austin were dominated by SMH. Austins goalie stood on her head and won both of them for Austin. Maybe somebody out there has the shots on goal for the 2 SMH losses to them. When the brackets came out that year the AC folk were thrilled because they knew they got the easy bracket. You won the title fair and square but to say you would have definitely beaten SMH is comical at best. Most of the AC folks would attest to that.SMH would have definitely outplayed your team just as they in the 2 games both teams played that season. The only chance you would have had was if your goalie stonewalled them like the Austin goalie did. Maybe she would have but I guess we'll never know. Maybe your get lucky again this year and end up on a side opposite SMH ,HING,AB.  Either way THE SEEDING ARE CRUCIAL TO A FAIR TOURNAMENT PERIOD!!!! OVER AND OUT-----

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billyc16. Show billyc16's posts

holy smokes don't bring up those past austin games. who could ever forget grant. ouch

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jzhiphop07. Show jzhiphop07's posts

Was that the year the Saints also had defending champ Woburn in their bracket too? If so that was 1 lopsided bracket and a perfect example of why they need a committee. Wasn't Boston Latin #1 seed when it would have been Saints if there was.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

Bostin Latin was undefeated going into the tournament but seeded #2..Here were the seeds
    1. St. Mary's (Lynn) (19-1-1) .928
    2. Boston Latin (15-0-3) .916
    3. Reading (15-1-2) .888
    4. Austin Prep (16-3-1) .825
    5. Canton (14-3-1) .805
    6. Arlington (16-4-0) .800
    7. Arlington Catholic (16-4-1) .785
    8. Woburn (15-4-1) .775
    9. Andover (14-3-3) .775
    10. Framingham (12-2-5) .763
    11. Dedham (13-4-2) .736
    12. Wakefield (13-5-0) .722
    13. Acton Boxboro (13-5-2) .700
    14. Lexington (12-5-3) .675
    15. Needham (10-5-5) .625
    16. Newton North (10-5-5) .625
    17. Wellesley (11-7-2) .600
    18. Fontbonne (10-8-0) .555
    19. Westford Academy (9-9-2) .500

Final 4 were AC, Lex, SMH, AP

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeon1985. Show zeon1985's posts

Either way the best team doesn't always win in the tourney because it only takes 1 loss and your out. That season SMH only lost 1 game compared to AC losing 4. 2 of them to St. Marys. Now you won the tourney fair and square. But were you the best team? We disagree on that. I say no. Do we have any other opinions out there on this? Otherwise enough on that subject.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aleph9178. Show aleph9178's posts

The AP/SMH game in RI was the ultimate Grant show. I think it was 48-11 shots advantage SMH and Austin ended up winning 1-0 in overtime on a pathetic goal. When they finally solved Grant in the tourney, they lost to their emotions. AC didn't have the same problems with Austin, yet struggled against SMH. Teams match up differently against other teams and the luck of the tournament seedings is getting on the same side of teams you match up well against. Example: this year Arlington beat Hingham 3-2. Hingham beat Andover 10-1 and yet Arlington and Andover tied?! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeon1985. Show zeon1985's posts

Aleph

Your right the RI tourney game SMH completely dominated with Grant spectacular and winning goal quite a fluke. Right again next game Grant good but SMH just gave it away. As far as AC playing so good in Tourney nobody could have beaten them, my guess is that you'd agree that is crazy talk. Smh would have easily outplayed them and AC could have only won if their goalie stood on her head like Grant or SMH gifted them the game like they did with Austin. I think the tourney game the shots were SMH 36 Austin 22. So the 2 games SMH lost to Austin the shots were 84 - 33 in SMH favor. Who was the better team? SMH Who won? Austin  Who won the tourney? AC Who was the best team? SMH

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from billyc16. Show billyc16's posts

allright enough with that game. so many ac folk were highfiving after we lost to austin they had no skin left on there hands. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

Hockeymom,

According to her Mom CD is going to Woburn next year, but we will see, every family needs to weigh their options, and things change. Our goalie is a strong athlete, and has improved dramatically; competition is good, and next year is a long way off.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

For anyone interested the AC at Arlington game tonight is at 7:30...who is the idiot who schedul;ed a cross town game the night of the beanpot finals??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from iced-t. Show iced-t's posts

The women's beanpot final is tomorrow.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Sportsdad - if you guys end up with both of them you will no doubt have one of the strongest 1-2 tandems in net and a young set as well. Nice situationi to be in for any team!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

I think seeds do count but in the end Mary's wins.  Since Mary's is a super elite team, staying as far away from them as possible is a good thing.  Mary's, Lexington and Shrewsbury should have 1-3 locked up.  There could be a shake up among them but 1-3 should be those teams in some order.  I say that because I do not see Shrewsbury taking a L the rest the way.  I can see only Hingham standing in Lexington's way.  If Mary's lost now, I would be shocked.  AB will be a great game if AB put some O pressure on and AP is fighting for their tourney lives.  But in the end Mary's finds a way.

I think the bracket to be in is the Shrewsbury bracket.  Of the top 4 seeds, 4 being a mystery at this point Shrewsbury is the weakest.  I think it would be funny if Woburn landed in this bracket because they may be better then Shrewsbury.

After the top 6 seeds who may get a bye in prel. round (based on 26 teams, if AP wins out they make 27).  I think 7-10 are extremely important seeds.
    7 v 26     7 v 10 first round
    8 v 25     8 v 9 first round   
    9 v 24
    10 v 23

These teams don't have to play a 1-6 team until the Quarters.
    Winners of the higher seed game then get the 1-6 bye team in the first round which are pretty much auto L's except for the Shrewsbury draw.

If the tourney started today and AP was not in.
    TeamSeedBye/OppPrelim
    St Marys Lynn1x
    Lexington2x
    Shrewsbury3x
    Arlington4x
    Acton-Boxboro5x
    Springfield Cathedral6x
    Hingham726wake
    Beverly/Gloucester825reading
    Braintree924billerica
    Framingham1023LS
    Arlington Catholic1122medford
    Medway/Ashland1221andover
    Waltham1320hudson
    Woburn1419franklin
    Marblehead/Swampscott1518everett
    Barnstable1617lynn
    Winthrop/Lynn1716
    Everett1815
    Franklin1914
    Algonquin/Hudson2013
    Andover2112
    Medford2211
    Lincoln-Sudbury2310
    Billerica249
    Reading258
    Wakefield267
    Austin Prepx  

Hockeymom,

That is a tough situation.  Sounds like hopeful the girls work through it and the parents stay positive may push your team along.  Good luck the rest of the way.

Icing,

Could not agree with you more, BU v BC or father/ daughter night at AC v Arl.  Sounds like a DVR night for Beanpot and popcorn and water for my daughter and I.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

Goodtime
    As of today (actually as of last Friday) Austin has battled back to .500 and would be in the post season.  They have 17 points and have 3 games left, so they need 3 points in their final 3 games (SMH, Woburn and Winchester).  There are also a lot of ties to be broken....shouls be an interesting 12 until the seeds come out for sure.  After Wednesday nights game (although I think it will be rescheduled due to the impending snow) could, in theory set the top 3 seeds.  If LHS tops Hingham it will be fun to anticipate the coin flip for the #1 seed.

I do not see how SMH will lose any of their remaining games (the potential hicup could actuall be tonight against a red hot Austin Prep team)-- None of the other games on their schedule should give them a problem.

Props to Wakefield, unlike another Middlesex league team, their OOC may cost them a trip to the States (although I think they will qualify right at .500) they played OOC games vs AC, SMH, Masco, and Andover.

Props also go out to Woburn as they play (ed) OOC SMH, Austin Prep, Lincoln Sudbury, and Acton Boxborough.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jzhiphop07. Show jzhiphop07's posts

Goodtime19-

You are correct. Your best chance at getting to the Garden is to be opposite the Saints in the seeding. That's why they need a committee like the boys to look over the teams and the schedules each team played and then seed them. A team like Hingham who scheduled very tough games , 2 against the Saints, now have to face the possibility of being in the same bracket as them. If they had played Lexingtons schedule they probably would have been on the other side and if they played Shrewsburys schedule they would have definitely been on the other side. All in all you shouldn't be punished for playing a very tough schedule as may happen to Hingham.With this system it's very possible still that the Saints, AB , Arlington and even Hingham could all get on the same side. The other side could be Lexington, Shrewsbury , Springfield Cath. , and Beverly. Wow would thes forum heat up. Look on the bright side Magellan if you lose the coin flip you'll probably end up on the side with Shrewsbury. Icing would love that 2nd bracket for all they'd have to beat is Lexington to make it to the garden. There seems to be only 3 ways to beat the Saints  1- You get on the opposite side in the bracket. 2- You hope someone else beats them for you. 3- You play them in finals and your goalie stands on her head.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LARRY1990. Show LARRY1990's posts

Say Hingham beats Lexington 3 - 0. Lexington still gets the easy side opposite SM. Hinghams played 6 games against the globes top ten teams with Lexington playing 0. Gimme a break!! Treat the girls like the boys and fix this mess.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from greatestfan. Show greatestfan's posts

Hingham beat Falmouth 7-0 today as Chrissie Bowler got her 200th point!  (92 goals, 108 assists)   Game with Lexington is rescheduled with the impending snowstorm  Tuesday at 7:30p.m. at Lexington. Should be a good one!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

Only have a minute as I am heading to Arlington.  AP is .500 and have to go 1-1-1 to make tourney, not sure that is going to happen.  I agree Wake gets in and they did play a tough OCC.

As for this treat the "girls like the boys."  The only reason their is a committee is b/c its the "super 8 committee."  Only the super 8 votes on where to put teams. D1, D2 and D3 seed on winning per (excluding the top 2 D1 seeds who get bounced from the super 8 playin).  Winning percentage seeds the teams, seeds have nothing to do with SOS.  That is why it is so important for coaches to evaluate their team and schedule their OCC games accordingly.  If you league is weak and you don't think you will need you OCC to qualify than schedule a bit aggressive.  You get the point, plan accordingly.

Lets go AC!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LARRY1990. Show LARRY1990's posts

Heres to Bowler

Goodtime 19- With St. Marys so strong shouldn't Hingham have scheduled all weak teams guaranteeing them a seed opposite St. Marys?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from magellann. Show magellann's posts

SMH 4
    AP 0

good physical game - AP came out very strong and physical;

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

AC 4  AHS 4

Fabulous HS hockey game tonight.  The intensity was what you would expect.  AC controlled much of the game and AHS did have 2 PP goals in the third to come from 2 down.  The first period was fairly even as the teams swapped goals leaving the first period 1-1.  AC completely controlled the second with a defensive lapse right after they took a 2-1 lead with a bad pinch at the blue line giving AHS a clean break in to the zone and scored, leaving the game tied ay 2.  AC came out in the third flying completely controlling the play going up 4-2.  AC got into penalty trouble giving AHS a 5 on 4.  with 13 seconds left AHS got a shot from the point through a screen that got past the AC goalie, in the process AC took another penalty giving AHS a fresh PP and again towards the end of the pp the scored tying the game.  AC did have a brief 5-3 but had trouble on the point heeping the puck in the zone and AHS was able to hold on for the tie.   I thought AHS had trouble keeping up with the speed of AC..The AC defensemen played their best game as a unit, If AC can clean up their forecheck they will be able to make a very deep run in the tournament.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

From Goodtime 19
    As for this treat the "girls like the boys."  The only reason their is a committee is b/c its the "super 8 committee."  Only the super 8 votes on where to put teams. D1, D2 and D3 seed on winning per (excluding the top 2 D1 seeds who get bounced from the super 8 playin).  Winning percentage seeds the teams, seeds have nothing to do with SOS.  That is why it is so important for coaches to evaluate their team and schedule their OCC games accordingly.  If you league is weak and you don't think you will need you OCC to qualify than schedule a bit aggressive.  You get the point, plan accordingly.

Reason I have been pleading to Have 1 at large division and a 1A type tournament  seeded the same as the boys now do.  Look at a team like Wakefield...they play in a big confrence and have only 4 OOC games 2 are against AC And SMH and are figthing for their playoff lives...could ofmade it easy for themselves by finding 2 weaker teams out there and made it easier for them...like oh say Lexington...Hats of to them, that is the way you are suppose to do it.

Hey is it me or is the officiating deploreable!!!! this season, I bet I have not seen more than a handful of games that were well officiated.

Here is another off the wall thought and I think Cager may know the answer to this...IS the Mount/Matignon team playing in the CCL or the CC..If they are in the CCL wil they qualify under the Murphy Rule??? and is Medway/Ashland eligible for the State Tourn eventhough they only will of played 16 games?

HINGHAM @ LEXINGTON 7:15pm Hayden Rink Lexington

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paycheck4. Show Paycheck4's posts

Hats off to the ad's at HHS and Lex for having some forsight and moving the game ahead of the snow storm

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

Icing

Shrewsbury qualified at 7-7 last season so I am assuming Medway/Ashland is in.  As for Mount/Mat, they play in the CC and they are D2 for tourney purposes.  Do you mean the Sullivan rule?  I am not aware of the Murphy Rule.

MIAA Rule 95.3.2 (AKA..the Sullivan Rule)
    In leagues where a team’s schedule is comprised of more than (70%) of higher division schools, and there is no large and small breakout, all league and non-league contests played against equal and/or lower divisions may solely be considered in the fifty percent (50%) qualifying criteria and not to be calculated into the 70% scheduling rule. Schools may also access the 70% tournament qualifying opportunity if a league is aligned by enrollment BUT the league requires cross scheduling to the extent that at least 70% of the school’s total required opponents are in a higher tournament division.

Archies is in the CCL and a D2 team.  There record is not good this year, but this is a team where I think the rule would apply.
    As to the main point of your post, a 1A tourney.  I think it is a good idea.  If you selected 8 teams like the Super Eight you would probably have to do away with the D2 tourney.  Fontbonne and Duxbury would be considered for a 1A tourney and with only 14 teams making the D2 tourney I don't think you could afford to lose 2 teams.  Looking at the D2 tourney teams, I think ALL of them can play D1 opponents, they do already and do it well.  Who on this post board has the ear of the MIAA??

First: 12/17/2008
    Last: 2/8/2010
    Heres to Bowler

Goodtime 19- With St. Marys so strong shouldn't Hingham have scheduled all weak teams guaranteeing them a seed opposite St. Marys?

I think Hingham did exactly what they needed to do.  They are a very good team, they know they are a very good team, so they scheduled accordingly.  Seeding is a big part of the post season but so is BEING READY for the post season.  What good is the #2 seed if you don't know how good you are.  If you play weak teams all year chances are you aren't going far in the tourney.  I think its a balancing act referring to scheduling.

Good job to Lexington and Hingham being proactive and moving there game up.  Looks like vacation week is going to be make up week.