EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nicmcg. Show nicmcg's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010:
    In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Sleeper:  Parents make decisions where to send their children.  I decided to send my daughter to SMH for various reasons - not only for hockey.  Why do you have a problem with SMH?  What about the parents who decide to keep their kids at local high schools?  A few years ago, Canton was a great team and last year AB and Hingham had great teams.  So why does SMH get everyone so upset.  Are they bad kids, are the kids rude to other teams, are they cheap and hurt other teams - I don't think you will find one team that says any of that.  I think SMH is run by a great coach and the players are well disciplined.  Is that because they are a great team?  They are not on this forum saying they are the best and can beat any team.  It is people like you who have this problem.  You don't know the players, parents and SMH, and if you did you would not be starting this.  Let SMH seniors who have all been there for over 4 years enjoy their last year and I say congratulations to the players for all their success.
    Posted by above-the-law

Well stated Above the Law, I think the reason people have such a problem is because of their success, half of the stuff posted on here is complete bulls#*&t. Does SMH have the same academic strength as an ISL?  No, and I don't think anyone here thinks that. Can a kid coming out of SMH be successful? Hell yes, they have just as much of an opportunity to be successful than anyone else. What is the line about playing any Lynn team bull about anyways?? I don't think anyone is saying the Lynn Public teams are not successful and do have some great players. It's pretty sad when a parent feel's they have the right to jump on here and rip up a school and it's players, SMH is not an ISL, it's a small catholic. Why should they be compared to and have to prove they are worthy? The remark about having a real chance to play on a DIV 1 team, or Olympics, buddy let's get real DIV 1 is a stretch for any player, public or private and Olympics for the <1% of the population. Maybe for most of these kids it's about the love of Hockey and being able to play in high school.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Well stated Above the Law, I think the reason people have such a problem is because of their success, half of the stuff posted on here is complete bulls#*&t. Does SMH have the same academic strength as an ISL?  No, and I don't think anyone here thinks that. Can a kid coming out of SMH be successful? Hell yes, they have just as much of an opportunity to be successful than anyone else. What is the line about playing any Lynn team bull about anyways?? I don't think anyone is saying the Lynn Public teams are not successful and do have some great players. It's pretty sad when a parent feel's they have the right to jump on here and rip up a school and it's players, SMH is not an ISL, it's a small catholic. Why should they be compared to and have to prove they are worthy? The remark about having a real chance to play on a DIV 1 team, or Olympics, buddy let's get real DIV 1 is a stretch for any player, public or private and Olympics for the <1% of the population. Maybe for most of these kids it's about the love of Hockey and being able to play in high school.
    Posted by nicmcg

I have no problem with SNH's success. Not at all. Those kids work their butts off and it shows. All I'm trying to explain to you is that the education at SMH argument is rubbish. These kids would be much better playing at an ISL school (together) for hockey as well as education. ISl schools are a ton of money (everyone knows) but they WOULD play there for half the tuition of SMH. They are that good. Ask around...see how much kids are really paying.

So don't try to start by saying I have an ax to grind.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : I have no problem with SNH's success. Not at all. Those kids work their butts off and it shows. All I'm trying to explain to you is that the education at SMH argument is rubbish. These kids would be much better playing at an ISL school (together) for hockey as well as education. ISl schools are a ton of money (everyone knows) but they WOULD play there for half the tuition of SMH. They are that good. Ask around...see how much kids are really paying. So don't try to start by saying I have an ax to grind.
    Posted by sleeper3

Nice spin, but you did call them "ditch diggers". See your original post:

No axe to grind...what's the save %. No distrespect to their goalie...she was great but they used a forward in net when the starter was sick and still won.

how many shots at the Garden? 8? a  mite could win in  front of those players.
    They are stacked because they get the best talent that can't make the ISL.

If they played Noble or Dummer they would feel like any team they play.

Maybe they can scrimmage them and see how they stack up.

the world needs ditchdiggers too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nicmcg. Show nicmcg's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : I have no problem with SNH's success. Not at all. Those kids work their butts off and it shows. All I'm trying to explain to you is that the education at SMH argument is rubbish. These kids would be much better playing at an ISL school (together) for hockey as well as education. ISl schools are a ton of money (everyone knows) but they WOULD play there for half the tuition of SMH. They are that good. Ask around...see how much kids are really paying. So don't try to start by saying I have an ax to grind.
    Posted by sleeper3

Wait, so you don't have an ax to grind?? I didn't even go to the "ditchdigger" comment, or the midgets that would beat them or the 8th grade book comment...  the  poor education and the girls are the ISL rejects. Sorry dude, you talk out of both sides of your mouth and most if not all is rude and offensive to the players and families who read this forum. Remember were only talking about HS kids.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aleph978. Show aleph978's posts

Posted by sleeper3

education at SMH argument is rubbish? Go check out the college acceptances for the class of 2009 on the website and get back to me.. Yale, Brown, UPenn, BC, BU, Notre Dame, Air Force Academy.. They did just fine with the education they received, including the girls hockey players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

Well the season officially opens up in about 8 hours.  I want to wish ALL of the Young Ladies the best as they set out to represent their school in the upcoming season.  They team that may go 0-20 takes just as much pride in their school as a team that goes 19-1, and that is what makes Interscholastic Athletics wonderful.  I hope all of us who both read this forum and as well as those of us who take the time to comment in this forum remember the Girls do read this and and they All give their best efforts every time they take the Ice.  So good luck to All..and we will see who the last team(s) standing at the end.....Let the fun begin!
    Posted by Icing-2

The Girls not only read this forum, but occasionally they post. So keep in mind you may be responding to your own kid, so respond appropriately.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddsahc. Show ddsahc's posts

Well I have been reading this forum for about a month and feel like it is time to chime in on a few items:
    1) Why all of the Arrow toward SMH,  Maybe they do things right, maybe they push the envelope.  Maybe it is a combo of all things and maybe some others.  They must be playing within the rules.  They can not recruit (like the preps do) and look at it this way, why would the coach take part in that.  SMH is a MIAA school and as such can not take part in that type of activity, they have an amazing winning streak going and why put that in jeopardy.

2) The Catholic School "dominance" in Girls hockey IS relatively new.  The "Catholics" did not win a State Title until 2005 when SMH won the D2 Title, they morev to D1 the following year.  In D1 the first Catholic Title came in 2007 when Arlington Catholic won the title, and yes with SMH's 2 the last 2 years has a made it 3 in a row.  AC beat Austin Prep (in 2007) in an all "Catholic" final. The 2 SMH titles they have beat 2 public schools in Wakefield and Woburn.  Couple that with the publics won all of the state titles prior 2 2007  in Division 1 and all but 2 Division 2 titles except 2005 (SMH) and 2009 (Fontbonne).  So the Catholic power thing is only in  recent years, and basically as I have tried to point out by 1 team.

3) Advantages schools have!!  Yes there are advantages that some schools, including Public Schools, have that others simply do not have.  There are in equities that are not necessarily their for all to have.  The biggest on that bothers me is the ability of middle school players to play "Varsity" athletics.  Schools like SMH, Urseline and Austin Prep allow students to enter the school as early as the 6th and 7th grade other Catholics like AC, Central Catholic, Lowell Catholic , Fontbonne and NDA do not.  There are many Public schools also have that luxury as well. There are many of schools that have Jr/Sr high schools which allows students to play varsity athletics prior to 9th grade and also for more than 4 years.  Then there are schools who ask for waivers because they are not happy with what they have and I am not getting into waivers or Co-ops here. The bottom line here is there is no perfect process or system but this one that is in place and for the most part works.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Let's do something silly and fun, copy and paste and add the next blurb...

'Twas the night before tryouts and all through the house
    Not a player was stirring...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from corrosive. Show corrosive's posts

early thoughts:
    1. The better HS girls would do well at the prep level
    2. SMH and Woburn still have the two best coache and both have class
    3. Haven't been in a rink in months so I will refrain from ranking teams etc.
    4. Let's keep this forum positive and not a bragging/slamming exercise

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from iced-t. Show iced-t's posts

... You remind of some guy form last year, I can't remember his name, but has nothing but negative comments to add to any discussion. Maybe you are that guy with a name change. Save it for someone else, and don't reply to any of my posts that do not include you directly. ....
    Posted by abgirlsfan

I have not changed my name.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Onrust. Show Onrust's posts

No beautiful new facility in Falmouth - The new Hyannis Community Center on the other hand is gorgeous.  Nicer than some D1 Colleges in Hockey East.  Ice is a little soft.

Hingham continues to be strong with a new quality Junior and 3 freshman who can contribute.

Hingham hosts their Jamboree this weekend, schedule as follows:

11:30PM-11:55PM                Hingham vs. Braintree

12:00PM-12:25PM                Boston Latin vs. Hingham

Make Ice

12:35PM-1:05PM                  Braintree vs. Boston Latin

1:10PM-1:35PM                    Duxbury vs. Fontbonne

Make Ice

1:45PM-2:10PM                    Marshfield vs. Duxbury

2:15PM-2:40PM                     Fontbonne vs. Marshfield

Jamboree Colors

Hingham           Red

Boston Latin     White

Braintree            Blue

Duxbury            White

Marshfield         Green

Fontbonne          Blue

Tickets are $5.00 at the door.  Students are $3.00.
    Sunday December 6th Start Time 11:30AM

Pilgrim Skating Arena Rink A

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

Lexington looks like the team to meat in Middlesex - tryouts are over and scrimmages until next Saturday.

Not much real competition for team comparisons yet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from corrosive. Show corrosive's posts

She will be missed, but they will have a good team and good coaching, the twins are good players and great kids.Hingham should be strong and Braintree may surprise a few people. Lexington, SMH, AB are favorites, and never count out Woburn. Hope to see some games this weekend

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 101364. Show 101364's posts

New AC coach has the team working very hard. This team could be full of surprises.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Well from our perspective being parents of a lowly little frosh our goals are simple.

Step 1: Make Varsity as a freshman. Done
    Step 2: Don't throw up from nerves before first game Saturday morning. 

Will let ya know how that one works out for her. LOL

Good luck to everyone playing in their first games this weekend.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ponderspy. Show Ponderspy's posts

I've been to a few Arlington practices and they may be a top 3 team behind the blueline. Sophomore goalie impressive, solid leadership from the twins and sound coaching. A few surprises offensively but O'Quinn will be tough to replace. Will win many 2-1 games.

Arlington Catholic will win games and should qualify, but the talent of years past is not there. Always has good skaters. Coffee shop talk is that the team is working very hard under the new coach, but many locally think the school made a mistake letting the previous coach go.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hillsideoldtimer. Show hillsideoldtimer's posts

I've been to a few Arlington practices and they may be a top 3 team behind the blueline. Sophomore goalie impressive, solid leadership from the twins and sound coaching. A few surprises offensively but O'Quinn will be tough to replace. Will win many 2-1 games. Arlington Catholic will win games and should qualify, but the talent of years past is not there. Always has good skaters. Coffee shop talk is that the team is working very hard under the new coach, but many locally think the school made a mistake letting the previous coach go.
    Posted by Ponderspy

They did not make a mistake... 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddsahc. Show ddsahc's posts

hey from what AC people are telling me it has been like a breath of fresh air over there.  Sometimes changes are necessary I wish them good luck! (unless they are playing my daughters team)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 101364. Show 101364's posts

No mistake. New coach, new attitude, better TEAM.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jzhiphop07. Show jzhiphop07's posts

SMH is looking good (I guess-only practice) new kids and new lines new goalie. How's everyone doing with scrimmages, or is everything top secret. Sm vs Lexington soon and someone on Sunday.
    Posted by magellann

Why just a scrimmage against Lexington? Is SMH ducking them to protect their streak or is Lexington just afraid to play them? With only a handful of teams that could give SMH a game its a shame to see these teams not playing one another especially when they used to play every year. Whos ducking who here!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jzhiphop07. Show jzhiphop07's posts

Lexington looks like the team to meat in Middlesex - tryouts are over and scrimmages until next Saturday. Not much real competition for team comparisons yet.
    Posted by Sportsdad23
    Best team in Middlesex league schedules a scrimmage against SMH instead of a game. What happened to the regular season games they used to play? Maybe you have an answer. Absurd!! What a shame....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ponderspy. Show Ponderspy's posts

No mistake. New coach, new attitude, better TEAM.
    Posted by 101364

Locally, Arlington hockey families know AC parents ran the coach out of town. You must be one of the select few who did. Good luck, but not even close to a "better team" than those of the past 4 years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jzhiphop07. Show jzhiphop07's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : I'm sorry this is causeing  you a lot of pain, I hope it doesn't cause you from sleeping tonight, I'll recap the game tonight if I can, I may be drinking my own sorrow away because I don"t know how everyone is. Who would have thought SMH would go unbeaten last year after loosing the lady's of 2008.  SMH has a lot of returning players from last year, but we have some new players ,new goalie, and 4 new captions,so like they say, let's lace them up and see what happens.
    Posted by magellann

I shall sleep fine tonight. I just thought a team so stacked with talent would play all the top teams during their season and to leave off possibly the team with the best chance of upsetting them is a shame and to top it off now we're probably going to have to listen how great a scrimmage Lexington played against SMH and then may never see them play against one another. To see them schedule Braintree and Whitnam whatever instead is just sad so maybe I'll have to borrow your happy face to get me through the season.Tongue out

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hillsideoldtimer. Show hillsideoldtimer's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Locally, Arlington hockey families know AC parents ran the coach out of town. You must be one of the select few who did. Good luck, but not even close to a "better team" than those of the past 4 years.
    Posted by Ponderspy

No one ran them out of town. It was time for change, and that is all. They should be very proud of their accomplishments but the program is moving in a different direction. Perhaps they felt differently, so be it, but no "AC Parent" will deny what they did for the program and that it was them who started a great thing. Stop making this personal. Even if AC goes 0-20 its still a "better team" this year, the first 5 days has proven that. Even the greatest coach's move on when they see the time is right... the time was right, and that is all.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 101364. Show 101364's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Locally, Arlington hockey families know AC parents ran the coach out of town. You must be one of the select few who did. Good luck, but not even close to a "better team" than those of the past 4 years.
    Posted by Ponderspy

And good luck to you too Ponderspy! All I can tell you is this, the TEAM is better off, enough said.

Sections
Shortcuts