EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010:
    Pretty much all of the teams in the Varsity Upper division are in the same position, with 1-2 lines worth of players playing on club teams (we had CR, Wizards, Flames and AV ourselves) as well as for their town. MYC does a pretty good job of keeping as many of their games on Saturdays and late Sunday afternoons so the teams don't run into too many situations of being short players.  At least that's how our schedule ended up working out.  I think we only had 2 or 3 games where we were short at least a lines worth of players. Our coach had no idea that there was even a Tier III State Tournament for the girls at that age bracket. Daughters team held their own for a team that didn't practice and did games only.  Would have been  interesting to see how they did in the tournament.  All I was trying to say is that it's too bad that the District reps don't get the info out better to all of the programs to get more towns involved.  
    Posted by Hockeymomsrule

Districts that play in the South Shore Conference had District winners from Quincy, Pembroke, and others. Mass hockey site did not have any information that I could find. Woburn lost in the play downs, and Lexington/Bedford won the District 9 play-down to represent that district in the tournament.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Garmin. Show Garmin's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Districts that play in the South Shore Conference had District winners from Quincy, Pembroke, and others. Mass hockey site did not have any information that I could find. Woburn lost in the play downs, and Lexington/Bedford won the District 9 play-down to represent that district in the tournament.
    Posted by Sportsdad23

I thought that tournament was handled very poorly.  But most teams had to play in I know Charlestown had to beat South Boston and Parkway to win their district. People should not look down at any sort of level of Girls hockey, The sport is lacking numbers and looks to have hit a plateau and needs all the help it can get.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Change-Up. Show Change-Up's posts

Hey Billy...Lets wait until Coach P gets the girls...It is always interesting how a team responds year to year.  I do not think any sane person would pick anyone other than SMH to repeat.  But to call for another sweep...well maybe I would think about taking it take it game to game.  There is always sickness and injuries.  I remember the AC people and AP people the past few years claiming they will continue on top because they only lost 1 or 2 players and they both tumbled last year AC with 12 Wins and AP with 9 (and missing the tourney for the first time in quite a while).  I would wait until the season gets going and not getting to high on that pedistal.  The higher you get the greater the fall.  There are several teams poised  to rise and others are fall.  Icing what is the outlook?? who is up and who is down?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from magellann. Show magellann's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Nice too see you. It was a bit difficult to navigate around to get to the page, was much easier in the past when it had it's own listing on the sports page. Hope all is well. Good luck.
    Posted by abgirlsfan

Hope all is well with you.  I totally agree with what you said re: colleges as we are going through the same.  Best of luck to AB this year and hopefully we will play during the season!  See you at the rinks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Change-Up. Show Change-Up's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : no change-up your incorrect. ap lost almost their entire team and played almost entirely with 8th graders and ac lost 2 of their superstars and what did they have left just 1 girl. smh still has their superplayers plus plenty more so they still have a good chance to sweep even with some sickness and injuries. i can only see a lexington , maybe ab with a chance against them. both arlingtons , woburn , hingham all have lost their firepower no chance. 
    Posted by billyc16

No I am not wrong..After the 2007 season when Austin played AC in the finals AP lost 2 players from their core 1 forward and 1 defensemen..The 2008 season did not go as planned and they got blown out in the second round by Wakefield and then had their mass exidus to the preps..AC lost 4 players 2 defensemen and 2 forwards from that State Championship and took a hit they thought they could withstand and fill from with in and could not...Yes SMH returns their top 3 point producers and yes they are quality players, but did lose a valuable 2 way playmaker, an extremely reliable and dependable as well as a goaltender with a microscopic GAA; however they have some young players at positions namely defense and goaltending...Remember when one of those top point producers was out last year the "very Deep" Spartans only skated 2 lines, just like the rest of the world...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jzhiphop07. Show jzhiphop07's posts

Hey Guys, I agree on the college front.  1,000 miles the past few weeks alone.  IMHO I wonder who stresses out more over this stuff the parents or the players.  I suppose we should enjoy the ride as the girls have only 5 more seasons of this sport then it is over...wow where has the time gone...As for the season looks like it will be a huge crap shoot..I'll get into it more in a few weeks, still too early and until I see a few scrimages and even league games to see how teams have plugged their holes.
    Posted by Icing-2
    Hopefully you mean crap shoot for the 2nd spot. That I would agree with. Otherwise not picking SMH as whopping #1 favorite would be only crazy talk. Please tell me your not that crazy!!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from abgirlsfan. Show abgirlsfan's posts

Here's a bit of hard data to support what a couple of us have been saying about the recruiting process. It proves my point that if your daughter has the ability and desire to play in college, start being pro-active about it now. There is very little chance of walking on.

Committments for 2009-2010

DI    35 schools
    # of Freshman recuits (including transfers)  217
    # of committments from MA  19
    # from MA High Schools 1   Shannon Mahoney from CC, end up doing a PG year at Berkshire school.

DIII   51 total schools    7 did not report
    incoming freshman    179
    # from MA    27
    from MA High schools    9

Of the 396 total reported recruits  46 came out of MA and 10 from MA  HS

So far for this year that would be part of the 2010-2011 recruiting class

DI    1 player from MA high school (there will be another from the same team if she chooses to play in college)

DIII   There are no reports available yet

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : NAHA is a great example. As good as the Preps are around here they cannot play on the same ice as those NAHA teams. You are missing seeing something special if you have never had the opportunity to see the team from Shattuck St. Mary's (MN) play, they are unbelievable, they would beat most college teams. Good point about the grades, I probably should have mentioned that. We had a situation where a NESCAC coach really was interested in her, but her grades were borderline, coach said he could lean on admissions and get her in but it was going to hard for her to keep up. She got scared and took this particular school off her short list. That is one of the first questions that any college coach will ask. Grades.
    Posted by abgirlsfan

Here's a question from a Freshman parent.  Daughter in a Div. 1 public, very interested in NAHA, top team at her club program but would probably be redminor at AV for comparison sake.  So far has made Honor Roll while taking Honors classes for all 4 of her core classes. Is it worth her time to continue the contact and process for that particular school or should she focus more on the local preps or catholics?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jzhiphop07. Show jzhiphop07's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : If she is skilled they will find her.I disagree with that comment, you need to be in a good program and in almost every case you have to contact the schools that you think will work for your daughter. the division in college makes a huge difference, D-1 alot of Canadians and Academy players eat up the big name schools. Prep schools sometime eat up the next level. Some D-3 school have some very good players who with there grades can make the money work.  Just one persons view, not trying to argue.
    Posted by magellann
    Then where did you find the goalie for this years team? Did she just walk in on her own or did she read the smoke signals flying over Saint Marys saying " Needed 1 good goalie for 3rd straight D1 Championship,come on down.!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

If you haven't been contacted by St. Mary's yet, you are not on anyone's radar screen. All kidding aside, if she is skilled they will find her. If she is one of many average HS players, enjoy your time with her as time wil pass quickly over the next four years. Do not pressure her as many parents tend to do with their children.  
    Posted by boarding

No pressure from us at all, we've been down this road with our son already who ended up opting for the merit aid package at a DIII school for lacrosse but had multiple offers on the table for DI schools in a different sport.  Just never been down this road on the hockey end of things, nor on the female end of things.  Son was an All American in his sport of choice and ranked Nationally for another so there was no work required on our end at all for him, they came to him, literally, from all over. Daughter is good, knows her ability isn't going to get her to a National Team or anything remotely similar, but wants to do what she needs to do to give herself the best oppportunity to play at a competitive level beyond h.s.  At this point, she is actually leaning towards DIII so she can continue both of her sports and not have to limit herself to one.  No matter how good she is though, and no matter excellent her grades are, the fact remains she is in a public h.s. currently and she/we know she has to get herself somewhere else even to have a chance at DIII.  Just looking for advice on the best direction to send her while she is looking into things. She'd like to make a move next school year if at all possible.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Garmin. Show Garmin's posts

Hey dont pick on billy..after all we should contemplate cancelling the season...name SMH champion and skip to next year because as he puts it they will sweep again....After all if you read all his post SMH must the Disneyland of the northeast "The happiest place on earth"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nicmcg. Show nicmcg's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : heres the simplist way to d3 hockey. sign up your daughter for the middlesex islanders, otherwise known as the st. marys farm club. from there shuttle her over to st. marys for her jr and sr years. then take the southern maine express to d3 and by then they should have an old male cheerleader with pom poms screaming " my daughter is the best " good luck
    Posted by billyc16

Billy, you seem very supportive and proud of SMH in your earlier post, you know #1, no one will compete, etc etc. Then this little blip shows up. You are correct that the Islander's have and continue to breed mini spartans, and usually do end up there. Is that such a bad thing? While St. Marys does have some very impressive stats and players, VERY few will have the opportunity to play on a division 1 hockey team. Go google BU or BC or UNH girls hockey roster, like stated previously they are coming out of Canada/Preps. Maybe St Marys or any Ma Div1 girls hockey player are Div 3 talent. (of course there is always a few exceptions). Is Div3 such a bad thing??? I think the SMaine coach is doing a good job recruiting some very talented girls from all over Mass, yes 3 from SMH, a great goalie from Wakefield and 3 from Woburn. Good for them, at least they get to continue there career on the ice.     

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Thank you all very much for your responses, she is feeling much better reading about the DIII options that may actually be out there even if she doesn't land herself somewhere outside of her current public h.s.   I'm sorry the thread took a turn for the worse due to the question, going back to lurking mode, seems much safer! LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

I'm still here, have been reading here for about a year or so, if I have another question I'm sure I'll chime in here at some point to ask it.

BillyC - Since you said there was some seriousness mixed in with your joking on your suggested path, I'll just say this: Islanders aren't an option because 1) I refuse to drive longer than 30 minutes for practices for any program, no matter the reputation or success, and that is way over a 30 minute drive 2) SMH isn't an option, again, too far away for a day school, this is 1 child of 3, heading off in way too many directions every day of the week to add that kind of travel to our already insane schedule.

Daughter took it upon herself to contact the coach at NAHA and coaches over at a couple of Jr. programs to get more information from them and find out what kind of time frame they would be looking for someone her age.  It's what she wants, she'll do the leg work, if she backs off on it than she doesn't want it that bad. For now, I've done my  job, now we're a little over a week away from the h.s. season and it's time for me and Dad to sit back and enjoy the next level for her.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ponderspy. Show Ponderspy's posts

After St. Mary's both Catholic leagues are now average or below in terms of talent, the power is shifting back to the publics. Is it the economy that the Catholics are not attracting talented players? I was going to attend the Summit games, but many of the stronger EMass teams stayed away.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

Ok looking at some schedules I have noticed some interesting takes AC looks to have eliminated Boston Latin from their schedue AB looks to have eliminated AC from their schedule SMH no longer plays Lexington or Woburn Billerica has dropped Masco and added AC Twice Looking at a glance at 30 or so schedules, looks like Walkefield has the toughest schedule
    Posted by Icing-2

Lifestyle? If it wasn't for Magellan, I would have never found you guys.

Hi Icing,
    The SMH schedule is now posted on their school website:
    http://www.smhlynn.org/page.cfm?p=146

They have a pretty interesting schedule, picked up games against Braintree and Whitman-Hanson. Play Woburn, AB and Wakefield once each. Play Hingham twice. Aside from that its the usual suspects.

One week till they hit the ice.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Where did you happen to see these schedules?
    Posted by abgirlsfan

www.highschoolsports.net

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Icing- Here's the way I hear it about AB not playing AC this year. It turned out to be a mutual coaches decision. AC took a long time to hire a new coach (not until around Oct. 20th) by then the schedule process had already been started. AB wanted to open with AC ,but no coach in place meant no decision could be made. So AB scheduled AP on opening night. Last year AB played AC on Martin Luther King Day, AC wanted to play on that day once the coach was in place, but AB had already scheduled that game with Fontbonne, a team they really wanted to play. So I think that other teams may have had the same issue with the lack of a coach.
    Posted by abgirlsfan
    AB: I think someone is snowing you, the AC coach was inplace back in June..You do know that the Fontbonne game does not towards your 20 game limit, allowing AB to play 21 and AC could actually play 22 (as they did in 2007) because Fontbonne and Ursiline are exclusion schols.
    http://www.miaa.net/Exclusion-Schools.htm

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : What is your complete hangup with St Mary's anyways? Yuo certainly have some kind of axe to grind.
    Posted by abgirlsfan

No axe to grind...what's the save %. No distrespect to their goalie...she was great but they used a forward in net when the starter was sick and still won.

how many shots at the Garden? 8? a  mite could win in  front of those players.
    They are stacked because they get the best talent that can't make the ISL.

If they played Noble or Dummer they would feel like any team they play.

Maybe they can scrimmage them and see how they stack up.

the world needs ditchdiggers too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : No axe to grind...what's the save %. No distrespect to their goalie...she was great but they used a forward in net when the starter was sick and still won. how many shots at the Garden? 8? a  mite could win in  front of those players. They are stacked because they get the best talent that can't make the ISL. If they played Noble or Dummer they would feel like any team they play. Maybe they can scrimmage them and see how they stack up. the world needs ditchdiggers too.
    Posted by sleeper3

ISL schools are 30k+ snob hockey schools, St. Mary's is 1/3 the cost with a strong team, but the public option is a free education, and strong competition (Arlington, Hingham, Woburn in D1 Final Four last season).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from above-the-law. Show above-the-law's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : No axe to grind...what's the save %. No distrespect to their goalie...she was great but they used a forward in net when the starter was sick and still won. how many shots at the Garden? 8? a  mite could win in  front of those players. They are stacked because they get the best talent that can't make the ISL. If they played Noble or Dummer they would feel like any team they play. Maybe they can scrimmage them and see how they stack up. the world needs ditchdiggers too.
    Posted by sleeper3

St. Mary's has scrimmaged some of the prep schools for the last 4 years and have faired well.  Also, HNIB the Catholics which comprised of at least 6 SMH players and H.S. combined and played the prep team.  The Catholics/HS won the first game and the preps won the second.  It is not a matter of the SMH girls wanting to play for the ISL.  They are a group of girls who have played together for years playing for the Middlesex Islanders - they are friends and really enjoy playing together.  As my daughter is a senior this year - it has been a great hockey atmosphere, great coaching, and has allowed her to grow and mature into a great young lady.  So, let me ask you - why should I have to defend my daughter for going to SMH where she got a great catholic education, played on 2 Division I Championship teams and plays with great friends?  I have no regrets whatsoever and I hope later in life she can look back and appreciate all that she has achieved.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : St. Mary's has scrimmaged some of the prep schools for the last 4 years and have faired well.  Also, HNIB the Catholics which comprised of at least 6 SMH players and H.S. combined and played the prep team.  The Catholics/HS won the first game and the preps won the second.  It is not a matter of the SMH girls wanting to play for the ISL.  They are a group of girls who have played together for years playing for the Middlesex Islanders - they are friends and really enjoy playing together.  As my daughter is a senior this year - it has been a great hockey atmosphere, great coaching, and has allowed her to grow and mature into a great young lady.  So, let me ask you - why should I have to defend my daughter for going to SMH where she got a great catholic education, played on 2 Division I Championship teams and plays with great friends?  I have no regrets whatsoever and I hope later in life she can look back and appreciate all that she has achieved.
    Posted by above-the-law

No defending needed. Are you saying that all ISL girls are snobs? Hardly. As for the great education there are kids there that I know that are in 9th grade that are using the same books as 8th graders at middle school. Don't go talking about the education at St. Mary's. 
    I think it's great friends stay together and play sports in school. Ultimately that's what it's all about. Making friends and playing a sport.

Any time you want to put t Mary's up against any public school in Lynn let me know...I'll get you the data.

Ask the coach to scrimmage Nobles. If they hang with them I'll be convinced and start a new topic.

We all know that SMH is a recruiting machine...I know because I've been hounded for a couple of years. Great kids but no thanks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : ISL schools are 30k+ snob hockey schools, St. Mary's is 1/3 the cost with a strong team, but the public option is a free education, and strong competition (Arlington, Hingham, Woburn in D1 Final Four last season).
    Posted by Sportsdad23

They're $30K if your kid is a bender. Ever hear of Financial Aid? You'll be surprised at how much it really cost if the player is good enough. Much less than a1/3 of $30K.

As I see it several of those girls would play for the ISL schools for less than St Mary's tuition...and probably all together like they are now. Then some would have a real shot at D1, or even Olympics.

Anyway...have a great Thanksgiving.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nicmcg. Show nicmcg's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : They're $30K if your kid is a bender. Ever hear of Financial Aid? You'll be surprised at how much it really cost if the player is good enough. Much less than a1/3 of $30K. As I see it several of those girls would play for the ISL schools for less than St Mary's tuition...and probably all together like they are now. Then some would have a real shot at D1, or even Olympics. Anyway...have a great Thanksgiving.
    Posted by sleeper3

Actually Tabor is $42.0 a year, Phillips even more. Do you really think they are going to cut Approx $28.0 in aid??? Come on, not every kid has the privilege to go. I'm sure if their parents were given the opportunity they would send them to a great ISL. You REALLY have a hair across your a.. about SMH, try not to insult these kids because your kid is SOOO good and has been SOO heavily recruited, and has soo many opportunities to play for an ISL, it's very pretentious.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from above-the-law. Show above-the-law's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : No defending needed. Are you saying that all ISL girls are snobs? Hardly. As for the great education there are kids there that I know that are in 9th grade that are using the same books as 8th graders at middle school. Don't go talking about the education at St. Mary's.  I think it's great friends stay together and play sports in school. Ultimately that's what it's all about. Making friends and playing a sport. Any time you want to put t Mary's up against any public school in Lynn let me know...I'll get you the data. Ask the coach to scrimmage Nobles. If they hang with them I'll be convinced and start a new topic. We all know that SMH is a recruiting machine...I know because I've been hounded for a couple of years. Great kids but no thanks.
    Posted by sleeper3

Sleeper:  Parents make decisions where to send their children.  I decided to send my daughter to SMH for various reasons - not only for hockey.  Why do you have a problem with SMH?  What about the parents who decide to keep their kids at local high schools?  A few years ago, Canton was a great team and last year AB and Hingham had great teams.  So why does SMH get everyone so upset.  Are they bad kids, are the kids rude to other teams, are they cheap and hurt other teams - I don't think you will find one team that says any of that.  I think SMH is run by a great coach and the players are well disciplined.  Is that because they are a great team?  They are not on this forum saying they are the best and can beat any team.  It is people like you who have this problem.  You don't know the players, parents and SMH, and if you did you would not be starting this.  Let SMH seniors who have all been there for over 4 years enjoy their last year and I say congratulations to the players for all their success.

Sections
Shortcuts