EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Middlesextoday. Show Middlesextoday's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

abgirlsfan? I am confused, seems you are a Woburn parent? Either way seems a little early to be pointing fingers at the girls on the team? Our goaltending? We'll have to score? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from unemployed3. Show unemployed3's posts

where has the paycheck been?!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : I'm so glad you love your daughter team, BUT who in the world do you play.
    Posted by magellann[/QUOTE]

They're in Baystate/Carey Division, an admittedly weaker side of things league as far as girls hockey goes.  Which is why they have qualified for the tournament every year.  Their lack of depth (Framingham is not nearly as big a hockey town on the girls side of things as it is on the boys) hasn't given them enough depth to go any further than the 1st or 2nd round though.  Last year or the year before they had out of league games against Woburn and I believe SMH too, but it doesn't look like they have any out of league games this year.  Not by the girls choice, they want badly to get stronger, faster and better all around and know that they need to play the best to get there. No one is saying they're going to knock off SMH, beat A/B or even Woburn.  I am saying though that they are deeper than they've ever been and may just give a few teams a run for their money that weren't expecting it come tourny time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocketfan. Show rocketfan's posts

Hey did i read it right (todays herald) that the lynn co-op has two seveth graders on a high school team ??? IMHO these girls are too young (12-13 yrs) to be playing on a HS team. is this true and what do you folks think?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocketfan. Show rocketfan's posts

[QUOTE]Hey did i read it right (todays herald) that the lynn co-op has two seveth graders on a high school team ??? IMHO these girls are too young (12-13 yrs) to be playing on a HS team. is this true and what do you folks think?
    Posted by rocketfan[/QUOTE]

Seventh- sorry have not had my first cup of coffee

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime91. Show goodtime91's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : They're in Baystate/Carey Division, an admittedly weaker side of things league as far as girls hockey goes.  Which is why they have qualified for the tournament every year.  Their lack of depth (Framingham is not nearly as big a hockey town on the girls side of things as it is on the boys) hasn't given them enough depth to go any further than the 1st or 2nd round though.  Last year or the year before they had out of league games against Woburn and I believe SMH too, but it doesn't look like they have any out of league games this year.  Not by the girls choice, they want badly to get stronger, faster and better all around and know that they need to play the best to get there. No one is saying they're going to knock off SMH, beat A/B or even Woburn.  I am saying though that they are deeper than they've ever been and may just give a few teams a run for their money that weren't expecting it come tourny time.
    Posted by Hockeymomsrule[/QUOTE]

I think Framingham is playing in a tournament, maybe the Mount Saint Charles Tourney at the end of the season for their non league plus Belmont.  I have seen Framingham play a few times and I think they were better last year with Allison Manzella (not sure if I spelled it correctly).  I think she was the Bay State Player of the year.  The firepower is down.  I think they probably played Mary's last year because they wanted to see where they measured up.  This year, it would be no contest against Mary's.  Framingham is going to need every win it can get to make the tourney, esp. playing Braintree 2, Milton 1, Dedham 1 and Walpole 1.  These are the tops teams in the Bay State this year.  That is why knocking off Wellesley was a huge win for them, one game closer to 10 wins.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from corrosive. Show corrosive's posts

Schools like Boston Latin, B latin Academy and I think Dedham( correct me if I am wrong) have their middle school(7, 8) in the same building as the HS, so this is not the issue as the coop teams. Skill wise, I feel if a player is good enough, let them play. The three schools listed above have had talented young players play for them.
    From my experience, hooking, slashing is not exclusively a trademark of 7, 8 graders.
    Did not see SMH/AC, but give SMH time, Woburn also, they will have great seasons

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocketfan. Show rocketfan's posts

[QUOTE]Schools like Boston Latin, B latin Academy and I think Dedham( correct me if I am wrong) have their middle school(7, 8) in the same building as the HS, so this is not the issue as the coop teams. Skill wise, I feel if a player is good enough, let them play. The three schools listed above have had talented young players play for them. From my experience, hooking, slashing is not exclusively a trademark of 7, 8 graders. Did not see SMH/AC, but give SMH time, Woburn also, they will have great seasons
    Posted by corrosive[/QUOTE]

Corrosive,
    I know that the Co-op talk (in the past) is like touching the third rail .....But a 7th grader (12yr old) does not belong in or around 17-18 girls (women) who are at a much different maturity level off the ice and on.I know you say "let them play" but there's other factors at play here when you have such a big gap in age's in and around the locker room. As a side note: I thought that a Middle school Waiver was granted only if the Middle school was attached (in the same bldg) The Winthrop Middle school is not attached to their High school. I agree with Icing, they (lynn Co-op) have far too many options.. IMHO so too does Masco I believe that distric has (7) towns in their Co-op.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : I think Framingham is playing in a tournament, maybe the Mount Saint Charles Tourney at the end of the season for their non league plus Belmont.  I have seen Framingham play a few times and I think they were better last year with Allison Manzella (not sure if I spelled it correctly).  I think she was the Bay State Player of the year.  The firepower is down.  I think they probably played Mary's last year because they wanted to see where they measured up.  This year, it would be no contest against Mary's.  Framingham is going to need every win it can get to make the tourney, esp. playing Braintree 2, Milton 1, Dedham 1 and Walpole 1.  These are the tops teams in the Bay State this year.  That is why knocking off Wellesley was a huge win for them, one game closer to 10 wins.
    Posted by goodtime91[/QUOTE]

Ya did good, you spelled it correctly.  Oldest grew up playing with her through youth hockey days, great kid, great family.  Miss seeing them around the rinks.  The fire power that was lost with her graduation though just may have been replaced very nicely with the freshman center who already has 2 goals and 2 assists 2 games into the season.  She's a determined, fiesty player that's only going to get stronger as she adjusts to the new level of play expected from her. The Wellesley win was huge not just because it brought them 1 game closer to the 10 needed, but more so because it was the first time they had ever beaten them since FHS started it's girls hockey team 6 years ago.  They almost did it last year but lost it at the end.  It was a huge morale boost for the girls to finally beat them. It's off to freeze in Belmont tonight and then treck down to Weymouth tomorrow.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocketfan. Show rocketfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Must be in the paper version of the Herald because I cannot find it anywhere online?
    Posted by abgirlsfan[/QUOTE]

AB,It's in the online version: Click on the first story "EB goes to town on rival" they included some other HS stories in the artical.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfamakestherules. Show medfamakestherules's posts

[QUOTE]Hey did i read it right (todays herald) that the lynn co-op has two seveth graders on a high school team ??? IMHO these girls are too young (12-13 yrs) to be playing on a HS team. is this true and what do you folks think?
    Posted by rocketfan[/QUOTE]

Medford Skated a 7th grader last year and she was the top scorer on the team. She's playing again this year, again making headlines as an 8th grader (just scored 3 goals in last game for their first win). Funny thing, there are a couple of girls on that team that are not getting their "due" because of the talented middle schooler.  Her time would have been right when she started 9th grade but she is now taking some of the "spotlight" (for lack of a better term) away from the girls who may have had some notice.  Its not fair, and its not right.  I'm sure she's a great kid, and obviously has a lot of talent, but she doesn't belong playing with high school girls.  I agree with icing, teams need to merge if they don't have the numbers.  No middleschoolers should be allowed to play, ever. Its just a matter of time before one of these girls gets really hurt and then the MIAA will take notice.  Just because a 7th grader CAN play doesn't mean she SHOULD.  Whats wrong with parents thinking this is OK? Are they caught up in the "my dgt is just so good she can play on the HS team", cause if thats the case, WOW!  Are there any parents of these middleschoolers out there willing to comment?  I would love to hear why it is you think its OK.  Sway me

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Cmon hocheymom, Just like a told the Hingham fan you cannot replace AM with a freshman, ever. She was a three time all scholastic, scored 40 goals and 17 asst last year and had 179 career points in dare I say, a weak league. How is some freshman going to live up to that. Not happening. I know you are passionate for your Framingham team, but, come on.

I don't think I said she was going to fill her shoes immediately (if it came out that way that's on me, wasn't intended at all), although she's definately going to provide a lot of their scoring this season. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocketfan. Show rocketfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Medford Skated a 7th grader last year and she was the top scorer on the team. She's playing again this year, again making headlines as an 8th grader (just scored 3 goals in last game for their first win). Funny thing, there are a couple of girls on that team that are not getting their "due" because of the talented middle schooler.  Her time would have been right when she started 9th grade but she is now taking some of the "spotlight" (for lack of a better term) away from the girls who may have had some notice.  Its not fair, and its not right.  I'm sure she's a great kid, and obviously has a lot of talent, but she doesn't belong playing with high school girls.  I agree with icing, teams need to merge if they don't have the numbers.  No middleschoolers should be allowed to play, ever. Its just a matter of time before one of these girls gets really hurt and then the MIAA will take notice.  Just because a 7th grader CAN play doesn't mean she SHOULD.  Whats wrong with parents thinking this is OK? Are they caught up in the "my dgt is just so good she can play on the HS team", cause if thats the case, WOW!  Are there any parents of these middleschoolers out there willing to comment?  I would love to hear why it is you think its OK.  Sway me
    Posted by coldasice[/QUOTE]

Coldasice,
     I agree that it's "not their time yet" and the HS team is just that, the HS team.A team made up of players from the HS and middle school players should have to wait their turn, and i also understand that there will be HS players displaced and playing time diminished by adding middle schoolers to the roster and it's not right.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : I know what you meant. I was only giving you some crap. You have to learn that some people will jump on you for anything. Trust me I know. Over the past couple of years they've tried to take me to the wood shed plenty of times, although I must say that I did play a big part in it. This year I decided to play it conservatively but believe me there are people out there just waiting for me to say something controversial. At some point this year I'll give them their wish. Keep cheering for your team, I cheer against Framingham Youth Hockey all the time, it seems that over the years, squirts, peewees and now bantams ABYA always ends up losing to Framingham. Earlier this year we did beat them and gained our berth in the State tournament. Have fun!

I think it was A/B vs. FYHP from squirts through midgets this year, very cool I thought. Too funny though on your thoughts that it's FYHP always beating A/B. We FYHP parents feel like our teams are always losing to A/B teams.  Funny how the different perspectives can change depending on which side of the fence you are on. Do you have a kid on A/B's Bantam A or Bantam B? My daughters Bantam B team lost to A/B in OT in the district semi final this year. Game never should have gone to OT, (goal scored in 2nd period that was seen by entire rink, including the A/B parents I was standing next to that wanted to send the ref a Thank You note, except of course by the ref who was a whole foot away from the net).  Was a fun game to watch though, those two teams went at each other with everything they had.  Word on the street though is that they still may end up going as District 8 gets 2 bids this year and A/B destroyed the team they played in the finals so we are being told that the District is going to send our team in their place.  Nothing official has been told to us by our program yet though so who knows.  Guess we'll find out come February/March sometime.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfamakestherules. Show medfamakestherules's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Displaced? I think the rule might actually state that no high school player can be cut from the team to make room for a 6th, 7th or 8th grader. Yes, the high school kid might lose some playing time, but it is a matter of how bad the coaching staff wants to win, not to mention, they might think they have a reputation and tradition to uphold. Who knows?

All true.  I dont know of any displacements, but certainly have seen girls 9-12 on the bench while the "top scoring line" consists of 7-8th graders.  I also know of girls who quit because they felt they wouldn't get ice time and playing for a full season rec team was a better choice than not skating.  The MIAA needs to investigate schools that are doing this and they should put a rule in place that if the numbers are needed a team must first make at least 1 attempt to merge with another program before adding middleschoolers. It is about winning, we all know that but if its because of "reputations and traditions", that is wrong too.  We all know that depending on talent of a freshman class can put teams on the edge of their seats, but thats part of the game. To give these girls extra ice time, extra years, extra numbers is a bad thing for this sport.  There are times its legite but I ask again, is it legitamete that there are many girls on the medford team capable of winning (maybe not 20 but maybe 10-15) games but they don't get the ice time or experience to show what they can do?  (dont mean to pick on Medford, just saw a story about it recently and their 8th grader is incredible btw)...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : I've too have heard the same thing about the league "feeling sorry" for FYH and taking them to sates as well. My son is the goalie on the Bantam 2 team that beat Framingham. That was a really good playdown down game. Last year we lost to a team that Tom Caron's son was on. don't you know we gave him some crap during that game, it was merciless, then he just laughed at us after Framingham won by one goal, then he even mentioned it on NESN on some hot stove Red Sox thing

He's a tool.  His wife is awesome though, go figure. We were told they might be going because of the destruction that your sons team laid out on whoever it was they played in the final? Wasn't a competitive game at all from what we've been told. Don't think any of those kids would want to accept the bid if it was a 'sympathy bid'.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aldopignotti. Show aldopignotti's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Medford Skated a 7th grader last year and she was the top scorer on the team. She's playing again this year, again making headlines as an 8th grader (just scored 3 goals in last game for their first win). Funny thing, there are a couple of girls on that team that are not getting their "due" because of the talented middle schooler.  Her time would have been right when she started 9th grade but she is now taking some of the "spotlight" (for lack of a better term) away from the girls who may have had some notice.  Its not fair, and its not right.  I'm sure she's a great kid, and obviously has a lot of talent, but she doesn't belong playing with high school girls.  I agree with icing, teams need to merge if they don't have the numbers.  No middleschoolers should be allowed to play, ever. Its just a matter of time before one of these girls gets really hurt and then the MIAA will take notice.  Just because a 7th grader CAN play doesn't mean she SHOULD.  Whats wrong with parents thinking this is OK? Are they caught up in the "my dgt is just so good she can play on the HS team", cause if thats the case, WOW!  Are there any parents of these middleschoolers out there willing to comment?  I would love to hear why it is you think its OK.  Sway me

I couldn't disagree more.  In HS sports, it's time for the best players to play.  Youth sports are done and the "everybody plays" rules are gone.  BTW, I have a seventh grade daughter who could probably play on our local HS team but our town doesn't do waivers, so I think I'm pretty neutral on this subject.  If my daughter could play for the HS, I would probably let her play.  She plays against boys now (full checking) so a girls HS isn't as rough.  My only issue is that I don't like the idea of her in a locker room with girls five years older than she is.  I would make sure the coach monitors somehow what goes on in the locker room.  I would also make sure she doesn't play after 9 pm too often.  She still needs to be in bed by 10 most nights.  Those are my reservations, not her getting hurt on the ice.  When she was nine, she played in a middle school league and the girls were very nice to her.  They treated her like a little sister. 

Also, the seventh and eight grade girls playing HS hockey are probably going to be playing prep by the time the are sophmores so if they have the talent, you'd might as well let them play now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : I couldn't disagree more.  In HS sports, it's time for the best players to play.  Youth sports are done and the "everybody plays" rules are gone.  BTW, I have a seventh grade daughter who could probably play on our local HS team but our town doesn't do waivers, so I think I'm pretty neutral on this subject.  If my daughter could play for the HS, I would probably let her play.  She plays against boys now (full checking) so a girls HS isn't as rough.  My only issue is that I don't like the idea of her in a locker room with girls five years older than she is.  I would make sure the coach monitors somehow what goes on in the locker room.  I would also make sure she doesn't play after 9 pm too often.  She still needs to be in bed by 10 most nights.  Those are my reservations, not her getting hurt on the ice.  When she was nine, she played in a middle school league and the girls were very nice to her.  They treated her like a little sister.  Also, the seventh and eight grade girls playing HS hockey are probably going to be playing prep by the time the are sophmores so if they have the talent, you'd might as well let them play now.
    Posted by aldopignotti[/QUOTE]

As someone who has only seen 3 months worth of U19/h.s. aged games, I think I've found someone who's seen less.  2 games into the h.s. season and daughter has already had a stick broken across her leg from a slash and been kicked (blade to leg) by a player she knocked down in front of the net, to which she fully admitted to elbowing her up high first, not trying to claim mine's a saint by any means.  Not even Dorchester, Somerville or Southie bantam boys teams have attempted either of those things.  Don't be so quick to assume that the speedy little 7th grader can hold her own physically against a lot of these girls just because she's fast, especially the older ones who have size and strength to go along with their skating ability. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfamakestherules. Show medfamakestherules's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : I couldn't disagree more.  In HS sports, it's time for the best players to play.  Youth sports are done and the "everybody plays" rules are gone.  BTW, I have a seventh grade daughter who could probably play on our local HS team but our town doesn't do waivers, so I think I'm pretty neutral on this subject.  If my daughter could play for the HS, I would probably let her play.  She plays against boys now (full checking) so a girls HS isn't as rough.  My only issue is that I don't like the idea of her in a locker room with girls five years older than she is.  I would make sure the coach monitors somehow what goes on in the locker room.  I would also make sure she doesn't play after 9 pm too often.  She still needs to be in bed by 10 most nights.  Those are my reservations, not her getting hurt on the ice.  When she was nine, she played in a middle school league and the girls were very nice to her.  They treated her like a little sister.  Also, the seventh and eight grade girls playing HS hockey are probably going to be playing prep by the time the are sophmores so if they have the talent, you'd might as well let them play now.

I do agree about the best playing on the high school teams, but you make my argument by saying "HS Sports", last time I checked 6-8 grade is middleschool not hs.  Even more to my point is that practices for my dgt is at 8:30 and 9pm (2x wk) and there's not a lot of monitoring the locker rooms if the coach is male. I also agree that your dgt probably wouldnt get hurt (but it could happen if she was smaller in size and not so "tough" right??) and we are talking about making it a general rule, not making it personal. You sound like you would at least think about it.  So did I. My dgt could have played in 6-8 grade, our town has waivers, we opted out for some of the reasons you state above, mostly social issues, not talent. Plus she made a "travel team" which was enough hockey for a life time!

Mostly I'm saying, if a hs team allowed waivers then the concept should be that they don't have enough numbers.  Which means it would never be an issue for you.  Its not like a team gets to pick and choose the best 6 - 12th graders to play on the hs team. The waiver is strickly to fill a team with bodies NOT to stack a team with only the best talent, agree or no?  If your hs team didn't have enough to play then by all means she should be given a waiver to play (and if she is the best she should play no argument there).  But, we are talking about teams that use the waiver to add to the talent, not the numbers. And there are several doing it all with an advantage in their respective divisions. Its abused, I think.

Good post though, exactly what we need here, all perspectives.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from above-the-law. Show above-the-law's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : I do agree about the best playing on the high school teams, but you make my argument by saying "HS Sports", last time I checked 6-8 grade is middleschool not hs.  Even more to my point is that practices for my dgt is at 8:30 and 9pm (2x wk) and there's not a lot of monitoring the locker rooms if the coach is male. I also agree that your dgt probably wouldnt get hurt (but it could happen if she was smaller in size and not so "tough" right??) and we are talking about making it a general rule, not making it personal. You sound like you would at least think about it.  So did I. My dgt could have played in 6-8 grade, our town has waivers, we opted out for some of the reasons you state above, mostly social issues, not talent. Plus she made a "travel team" which was enough hockey for a life time! Mostly I'm saying, if a hs team allowed waivers then the concept should be that they don't have enough numbers.  Which means it would never be an issue for you.  Its not like a team gets to pick and choose the best 6 - 12th graders to play on the hs team. The waiver is strickly to fill a team with bodies NOT to stack a team with only the best talent, agree or no?  If your hs team didn't have enough to play then by all means she should be given a waiver to play (and if she is the best she should play no argument there).  But, we are talking about teams that use the waiver to add to the talent, not the numbers. And there are several doing it all with an advantage in their respective divisions. Its abused, I think. Good post though, exactly what we need here, all perspectives.

As a MOTHER of a senior at SMH, my daughter began her career there as an 8th grader.  At that time, they barely had 3 lines and she started on the first line next to one of the best female players who now plays for Providence (not to mention names).  It was a difficult transition due to the expectations and playing with older girls.  But, I would never trade what she learned from playing with a hockey player of that caliber.  She got to play with that player and another player on that line for two years and believe me when I say, you should always play up and never down.  Now that she is a senior, I never really truly understood what that experience gave her.  She now has the confidence, courage and leadership to help lead her team to 2 Division I titles.  Second point:  We actually considered sending her to SMH in the 7th grade and I felt she was not mature enough for that and held off to her 8th grade.  She was definetely read for it since she had been playing for a Metro team for many years.  If your daughter plays on a Metro team, she can absolutely play for a high school team in the 8th grade.  She may have to learn to get tough skin and grow up a little faster, but the experience was well worth it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocketfan. Show rocketfan's posts

I'm glad you feel the same as myself with regards to the locker room (see my earlier post) Most teams will have many "team nights" where they will attend pasta parties,movie nights,ice cream nights and many off ice get together's where a coach will not be there to supervise.so it's not just in the locker room where she will be with 17yrs-18yrs many whom have boy friends,cars and is not ready emotionally & physically. As you know (maybe you don't) a Male coach can't be in the locker room while they are getting dressed before and after games. A coach can't be there all the time. Nearly 99% (ABfan can help me with the exact percent) of the public HS girls that play hockey will not be playing at the next level. I agree with AB that the girls HS game is a physical an rougher than any game she has played. You can't be neutral because you have an interest in the HS process going forward. Good luck to your daughter.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from corrosive. Show corrosive's posts

There are many valid argumenys pro and con for letting younger kids play.

1. Some coop teams have too many towns to choose from as a poster above pointed out. There comes a time when one has to ask are they coop ing to simply field a team or get the "best" from many towns.
    2. I think a 6th grade goalie is really a stretch
    3. In some respects, I agree that on a varsity team, let the better players play, regardless of age. I don't think a team/school should get waivers to be more competitive, only to get numbers to field a team.
    4. I regarsd to goaltending comments made above, remember, the puck carrier goes through five other players before the goalie. You win/lose as a team

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from aldopignotti. Show aldopignotti's posts

[QUOTE]Ie ln Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : You have lots of opinions and would be rules for someone who claims to be "neutral" on the subject. When was the last time you saw a girls HS game? They are rougher than any squirt or peewee game your kid could ever play in. Those kids are just learning how to check. Most of them are more scared about getting hit than they are doing the hitting. The only thing I agree with you on is the locker room situation, but who knows, the things these kids learn on TV and music today, the locker room is probably a safer place for them to be. 

I like to take my daughter to older girls hockey games so I see three or four girls HS games a year plus three or four girls college games a year.  You can certainly debate which is rougher but I still think PW boys hockey is a lot rougher than girls HS hockey.  The main thing is though, I don't have any safety issues with my daughter playing HS hockey. 

I think a HS coach should be able to play the best players who are eligble to play even if that means a senior is sitting on the bench watching a seventh grader play.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfamakestherules. Show medfamakestherules's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : As a MOTHER of a senior at SMH, my daughter began her career there as an 8th grader.  At that time, they barely had 3 lines and she started on the first line next to one of the best female players who now plays for Providence (not to mention names).  It was a difficult transition due to the expectations and playing with older girls.  But, I would never trade what she learned from playing with a hockey player of that caliber.  She got to play with that player and another player on that line for two years and believe me when I say, you should always play up and never down.  Now that she is a senior, I never really truly understood what that experience gave her.  She now has the confidence, courage and leadership to help lead her team to 2 Division I titles.  Second point:  We actually considered sending her to SMH in the 7th grade and I felt she was not mature enough for that and held off to her 8th grade.  She was definetely read for it since she had been playing for a Metro team for many years.  If your daughter plays on a Metro team, she can absolutely play for a high school team in the 8th grade.  She may have to learn to get tough skin and grow up a little faster, but the experience was well worth it.
    Posted by above-the-law[/QUOTE]

Key words used: "barely had 3 lines".  Yes, your dgt should have played when the situation called for it.  No shots at St.M's meant.  BUT, in the case I was referring it is when there is no need of the numbers and its all about talent that hurts the game (or using the "lack" of numbers just to get better, younger talent).  Sounds like SM needed the numbers at one point, but do they now?  Let me ask you this... if there is an 8th grader playing on the varsity squad playing on lines 1, 2, or 3 and your senior dgt was on line 4, never playing, would that change your opinion of lower grades playing or are you "big enough" to walk in the lobby with a win and say, hey its doesn't matter we won as a team? Put yourself in the shoes of a "not so talented but "almost there" player wanting to play.  Do you think its right that she doesn't get a chance to play, say on the 3rd line, getting 3 shifts a game, because a more talented middleschooler is available, knowing the middleschooler will get a chance a couple of years later while the seniors chances are done?  And maybe you do feel thats OK, I get that its an opinion thing, I just don't think we put ourselves in the shoes of others enough and its all about "our own kid" (Im guilty here). We want our kids to have be prepared for the next step and sometimes they dont get to enjoy the now step (again, Im guilty here maybe).

Also, as far as your dgts experience, I know some of the SM group and they are a mature, well rounded and kind hearted group of girls.  I'm not surprized to hear that your dgt had this experience.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Key words used: "barely had 3 lines".  Yes, your dgt should have played when the situation called for it.  No shots at St.M's meant.  BUT, in the case I was referring it is when there is no need of the numbers and its all about talent that hurts the game (or using the "lack" of numbers just to get better, younger talent).  Sounds like SM needed the numbers at one point, but do they now?  Let me ask you this... if there is an 8th grader playing on the varsity squad playing on lines 1, 2, or 3 and your senior dgt was on line 4, never playing, would that change your opinion of lower grades playing or are you "big enough" to walk in the lobby with a win and say, hey its doesn't matter we won as a team? Put yourself in the shoes of a "not so talented but "almost there" player wanting to play.  Do you think its right that she doesn't get a chance to play, say on the 3rd line, getting 3 shifts a game, because a more talented middleschooler is available, knowing the middleschooler will get a chance a couple of years later while the seniors chances are done?  And maybe you do feel thats OK, I get that its an opinion thing, I just don't think we put ourselves in the shoes of others enough and its all about "our own kid" (Im guilty here). We want our kids to have be prepared for the next step and sometimes they dont get to enjoy the now step (again, Im guilty here maybe). Also, as far as your dgts experience, I know some of the SM group and they are a mature, well rounded and kind hearted group of girls.  I'm not surprized to hear that your dgt had this experience.  

Very well said. Nicely done.