EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bb257. Show bb257's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010:
    [QUOTE]The Globe is the biggest bunch of fishwrap I've ever seen, both sports wise and  dare I say it, politically. They have already shown in the past that they have zero creditibility when it comes to girls hockey and they are at it again. Go read the story with the St, Mary's headline, you'll laugh when you get to the Woburn part of the story( if you follow girls hockey) and you'll not see AB mentioned anywhere. Also I dare you to try and find the poll that is mentioned in the story because I couldn't find it anywhere. What a complete joke. Just as I said in an earlier post, the only polls that mean anything and that are fun to look at are Jim Clark's and Icing's. Period. Amen.
    Posted by abgirlsfan[/QUOTE]

AB   a little late on this one. First how does andover score 5 goals off AB in the game(4 in the 1st) Second how does Andover not hang on.  I suspect goaltending growth pains ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bb257. Show bb257's posts

[QUOTE]The Globe is the biggest bunch of fishwrap I've ever seen, both sports wise and  dare I say it, politically. They have already shown in the past that they have zero creditibility when it comes to girls hockey and they are at it again. Go read the story with the St, Mary's headline, you'll laugh when you get to the Woburn part of the story( if you follow girls hockey) and you'll not see AB mentioned anywhere. Also I dare you to try and find the poll that is mentioned in the story because I couldn't find it anywhere. What a complete joke. Just as I said in an earlier post, the only polls that mean anything and that are fun to look at are Jim Clark's and Icing's. Period. Amen.

"And That's All I've got to say about that!" - well done

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Medford Skated a 7th grader last year and she was the top scorer on the team. She's playing again this year, again making headlines as an 8th grader (just scored 3 goals in last game for their first win). Funny thing, there are a couple of girls on that team that are not getting their "due" because of the talented middle schooler.  Her time would have been right when she started 9th grade but she is now taking some of the "spotlight" (for lack of a better term) away from the girls who may have had some notice.  Its not fair, and its not right.  I'm sure she's a great kid, and obviously has a lot of talent, but she doesn't belong playing with high school girls.  I agree with icing, teams need to merge if they don't have the numbers.  No middleschoolers should be allowed to play, ever. Its just a matter of time before one of these girls gets really hurt and then the MIAA will take notice.  Just because a 7th grader CAN play doesn't mean she SHOULD.  Whats wrong with parents thinking this is OK? Are they caught up in the "my dgt is just so good she can play on the HS team", cause if thats the case, WOW!  Are there any parents of these middleschoolers out there willing to comment?  I would love to hear why it is you think its OK.  Sway me
    Posted by coldasice[/QUOTE]

I'll take the bait...my daughter is one of the girls you are talking about. The reason the younger girls are better is because they have played longer at a higher level than the upper class-girls. The girl from Medford is a complete stud on the ice. If there isn't someone to keep up with her it's not her fault. You want it so everyone that tries out makes the team regardless of talent. I want to be a major league baseball player but "it ain't gonna happen".
    Welcome to the real world.

I've heard it all in the last couple of years. If a girl is good enough to play she should play. If they're 11-12-13 or 18 years old it doesn't matter. What matters is if they can "hang" with the talent. If they can't they shouldn't play. If you people complaining actually saw the younger girls you are all complaining about you would see that they belong right where they are. As for the "spotlight"...are you for real? The only spotlight should be on the final 2 teams at the TD Garden. How pathetic.

For those who argue that the locker room is no place for these girls...you have no idea what it was like in that room with those girls. Females are far more respectful . You don;t give these girls (16-17 and 18 yr olds) enough credit...on or off the ice.

I'd bet my second house in the Bahamas that the one's whining about mis-placed sophmores, juniors and seniors are the parents of said players. You should have had them play at an earlier age. They would then be the mis-placee and not the mis-placor.

I'd say "see you at the All Star Game" but I doubt it.

Maybe Santa can get you a Liberal on the MIAA for Christmas.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from above-the-law. Show above-the-law's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Key words used: "barely had 3 lines".  Yes, your dgt should have played when the situation called for it.  No shots at St.M's meant.  BUT, in the case I was referring it is when there is no need of the numbers and its all about talent that hurts the game (or using the "lack" of numbers just to get better, younger talent).  Sounds like SM needed the numbers at one point, but do they now?  Let me ask you this... if there is an 8th grader playing on the varsity squad playing on lines 1, 2, or 3 and your senior dgt was on line 4, never playing, would that change your opinion of lower grades playing or are you "big enough" to walk in the lobby with a win and say, hey its doesn't matter we won as a team? Put yourself in the shoes of a "not so talented but "almost there" player wanting to play.  Do you think its right that she doesn't get a chance to play, say on the 3rd line, getting 3 shifts a game, because a more talented middleschooler is available, knowing the middleschooler will get a chance a couple of years later while the seniors chances are done?  And maybe you do feel thats OK, I get that its an opinion thing, I just don't think we put ourselves in the shoes of others enough and its all about "our own kid" (Im guilty here). We want our kids to have be prepared for the next step and sometimes they dont get to enjoy the now step (again, Im guilty here maybe). Also, as far as your dgts experience, I know some of the SM group and they are a mature, well rounded and kind hearted group of girls.  I'm not surprized to hear that your dgt had this experience.  
    Posted by coldasice[/QUOTE]

Okay you asked for my opinion.  As any parent, you struggle with the question about playing time.  When my daughter played on the first line as an 8th grader, she beat out players who were there for a long time and it created an uncomfortable atmosphere between the parents - not the players.  High school no matter how you look at it - THE BEST PLAYERS PLAY.  It doesn't matter if you have been on the team for 6 years or 1 year.  The coach makes it very clear and all parents and players understand this.  This is not Squirts where everyone gets equal playing time.  At some point, players have to be prepared - what happens next year when they go to college and beat out a senior?  It happens believe me.  Do I think it is right?  Sometimes I feel bad for the players and I hope that a coach would put them in when we play a weaker team which usually happens.  But believe me it is a TEAM they win as a team and lose as a TEAM.  They practice together and are friends together.  It is called growing up and we have to let me grow up and learn what competition is about.  Only my opinion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from unemployed3. Show unemployed3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : don't you mean where has YOUR paycheck been?
    Posted by Icing-2[/QUOTE]

yes, that in fact would be the point of the name. glad you caught on.. guess it's true when one bulb goes out they all do

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from unemployed3. Show unemployed3's posts

As for the younger girls playing, I don't think the locker room is an issue. Many of the older girls are aware of the age difference and don't want to be bad influences on the girls younger than them. It is a little ridiculous for a team to already have 5 towns to draw from and need to draw from middle schools as well, but if it increases the caliber of teams/play out there then its good overall. How fitting that of the 3 championships SMH has, two included GWGs scored by 8th graders..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

[QUOTE]As for the younger girls playing, I don't think the locker room is an issue. Many of the older girls are aware of the age difference and don't want to be bad influences on the girls younger than them. It is a little ridiculous for a team to already have 5 towns to draw from and need to draw from middle schools as well, but if it increases the caliber of teams/play out there then its good overall. How fitting that of the 3 championships SMH has, two included GWGs scored by 8th graders..
    Posted by unemployed3[/QUOTE]

AND ONLY 3 GIRLS ARE FROM LYNN. DIDN'T GAUTHIER PLAY IN 7TH GRADE? SHE TURNED OUT EXCELLENT.

I HIGHLY DOUBT HER FATHER WORRIED ABOUT THE LOCKER ROOM. HE GOT A FOUR YEAR $40,000 RAISE WHEN SHE GOT A FULL BOAT TO PC.

IF THE ST MARYS COACH WAS LIKE SOME PARENTS SHE WOULDN;T HAVE PLAYED UNTIL SHE WAS IN 9TH GRADE. WHAT A SHAME THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfamakestherules. Show medfamakestherules's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : I'll take the bait...my daughter is one of the girls you are talking about. The reason the younger girls are better is because they have played longer at a higher level than the upper class-girls. The girl from Medford is a complete stud on the ice. If there isn't someone to keep up with her it's not her fault. You want it so everyone that tries out makes the team regardless of talent. I want to be a major league baseball player but "it ain't gonna happen". Welcome to the real world. I've heard it all in the last couple of years. If a girl is good enough to play she should play. If they're 11-12-13 or 18 years old it doesn't matter. What matters is if they can "hang" with the talent. If they can't they shouldn't play. If you people complaining actually saw the younger girls you are all complaining about you would see that they belong right where they are. As for the "spotlight"...are you for real? The only spotlight should be on the final 2 teams at the TD Garden. How pathetic. For those who argue that the locker room is no place for these girls...you have no idea what it was like in that room with those girls. Females are far more respectful . You don;t give these girls (16-17 and 18 yr olds) enough credit...on or off the ice. I'd bet my second house in the Bahamas that the one's whining about mis-placed sophmores, juniors and seniors are the parents of said players. You should have had them play at an earlier age. They would then be the mis-placee and not the mis-placor. I'd say "see you at the All Star Game" but I doubt it. Maybe Santa can get you a Liberal on the MIAA for Christmas.
    Posted by sleeper3[/QUOTE]

Well, not that I really want to get into detail about me personally, But I will say that I do know this girl, very well as a matter of fact, but not as a fellow team member whose dgt isnt playing, sorry nice try.  She is a stud, yes, 100%, deserving and capable of playing, absolutely. Again, the question is should she be playing as a 7th and 8th grader just to make the hs team better, or should she wait until its her turn.  The anticipation of her "arrival" in the 9th grade could be a great thing, instead, the rest of the team sits backs and watches.  If Medford (or any team) needs the numbers she deserves the spot, and she deserves line 1, however, if there are enough girls on that team without her, she needs to wait her turn. Bottom line. And not that it matters because I think you were trying to be rude, but my dgt playes for a div 1 team on the starting line.  I'm just actually trying to stimulate adult conversation about a very tricky subject here in the blog and I've actually thought about what it would be like to be one of the parents of a senior not playing to an 8th grader just because the team is better.  Did you do that yourself hmmmm I think not.  Thanks though, your comments are welcomed.

I dont think you should bet your house cause, although you make some good points, you are not quite accurate about the locker rooms.  I am female and I HAVE been in the locker rooms. I've broken up fights about who borrowed someones tape without asking. I've heard stories about boyfriends that go to a different level at that age... sorry but you just can't win on that one.

Sounds like Medford is looking for the big win and quick fix, obviously. I'm also hearing that there must be some parents on your own team that disagree with you and you don't like that, fair enough. No one here says take her off the team, its just about the MIAA rules, right???  and to interpret them to fit a coach's need to make a winning team... shame on you and shame on Medford. I hope it isn't the case, I hope their numbers support her being on the team. For her sake and the sake of Medfords very young, vulnerable program (is she sticing with Medford or just riding the middleschool wave until prep school).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddsahc. Show ddsahc's posts

Simply put this is HIGH SCHOOL HOCKEY for High school age people..Knowing what I know I would NEVER want my 7th or 8th grader playing..The car hopping, social events....ant the talk about what goes or is going to go on at social events...lets not be nieve here people...Let the younger kids simply wait...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddsahc. Show ddsahc's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : AND ONLY 3 GIRLS ARE FROM LYNN. DIDN'T GAUTHIER PLAY IN 7TH GRADE? SHE TURNED OUT EXCELLENT. I HIGHLY DOUBT HER FATHER WORRIED ABOUT THE LOCKER ROOM. HE GOT A FOUR YEAR $40,000 RAISE WHEN SHE GOT A FULL BOAT TO PC. IF THE ST MARYS COACH WAS LIKE SOME PARENTS SHE WOULDN;T HAVE PLAYED UNTIL SHE WAS IN 9TH GRADE. WHAT A SHAME THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN.
    OK lets try another way..she CHOSE to go to SMH because she was allowed to play at the seventh grade(unfortunately completely with in the rules)..if she had lived in a town say Woburn or Lexington and gone to regular plubic school (and not gone to SMH) she would not of played until the 9th grade...Someone mentioned in all of the comments today would you ever have a boy 7th grader playing varsity...I don't think so....for that matter would you have a 7th grade running back play varsity football...Why should it be different in girls hockey.  What is so hard about waiting until they get older!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddsahc. Show ddsahc's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 :  I think a HS coach should be able to play the best players who are eligble to play even if that means a senior is sitting on the bench watching a seventh grader play.
    Posted by aldopignotti[/QUOTE]
    Remember for most 7th graders you must get a waiver...The original point by "Icing-2" is they (MIAA) gives out way too many waivers. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from unemployed3. Show unemployed3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : AND ONLY 3 GIRLS ARE FROM LYNN. DIDN'T GAUTHIER PLAY IN 7TH GRADE? SHE TURNED OUT EXCELLENT. I HIGHLY DOUBT HER FATHER WORRIED ABOUT THE LOCKER ROOM. HE GOT A FOUR YEAR $40,000 RAISE WHEN SHE GOT A FULL BOAT TO PC. IF THE ST MARYS COACH WAS LIKE SOME PARENTS SHE WOULDN;T HAVE PLAYED UNTIL SHE WAS IN 9TH GRADE. WHAT A SHAME THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN.

In that case I'm sending my daughter in kindergarden to SMH so i can get one of those bonuses and change my name to employed! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

[QUOTE]Simply put this is HIGH SCHOOL HOCKEY for High school age people..Knowing what I know I would NEVER want my 7th or 8th grader playing..The car hopping, social events....ant the talk about what goes or is going to go on at social events...lets not be nieve here people...Let the younger kids simply wait...
    Posted by ddsahc[/QUOTE]

High School coaches are paid. They are paid to put the best product on the field or ice. If the kids have problems in school they should sit. I believe everyone feels the same on that. Do you think a 7th grade stud should sit because a 12th grade bender shows up to play a sport she's over her head playing? 

You sound like a very nice intelligent person. The fundamental difference here is that a school sport is for the best players. Liberal thinking has crept into EVERYTHING including sports. How many trophies, metals or plaques have your kids gotten for NO acheivement? it's rediculous. 

Her sitting to allow a bender to play one shift will stop her natural progression. I've said it before. it's not her fault she's that good and the juniors and seniors aren't.

Maybe they should have a club team for the players that get cut.

if the other poster's daughter is truly a Div 1 player (college or High School?)she must have played with older kids at one point in her life.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : OK lets try another way..she CHOSE to go to SMH because she was allowed to play at the seventh grade(unfortunately completely with in the rules)..if she had lived in a town say Woburn or Lexington and gone to regular plubic school (and not gone to SMH) she would not of played until the 9th grade...Someone mentioned in all of the comments today would you ever have a boy 7th grader playing varsity...I don't think so....for that matter would you have a 7th grade running back play varsity football...Why should it be different in girls hockey.  What is so hard about waiting until they get older!
    Posted by ddsahc[/QUOTE]

too many females on this board

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from unemployed3. Show unemployed3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : A 7th or 8th grade girls sometimes isn't that much different physically from the older girls. were a 7th grade boys are way smaller. SMH has 4 senior Captains, the tallest is maybe 5ft. 2 theses younger new girls are just as tall or taller and 3 years younger. I have the 5ft 3/4 inch Captain (how tall u think my grandkids will be)
    Posted by magellann[/QUOTE]

Clearly the short method works. No wonder teams are going for the small middle schoolers.. The tall girls weren't cutting it when it came to beating SMH. Why is everyone complaining? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

It was sloppy and the Flyer girls are probably very relieved to have a 3rd game  this morning instead of practice as I have a feeling they would be skating until the cows came home if not, but it was another W in the end nonetheless.

Framingham 4 Belmont 1

Off to Weymouth for Game 3 of the week.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfamakestherules. Show medfamakestherules's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Okay you asked for my opinion.  As any parent, you struggle with the question about playing time.  When my daughter played on the first line as an 8th grader, she beat out players who were there for a long time and it created an uncomfortable atmosphere between the parents - not the players.  High school no matter how you look at it - THE BEST PLAYERS PLAY.  It doesn't matter if you have been on the team for 6 years or 1 year.  The coach makes it very clear and all parents and players understand this.  This is not Squirts where everyone gets equal playing time.  At some point, players have to be prepared - what happens next year when they go to college and beat out a senior?  It happens believe me.  Do I think it is right?  Sometimes I feel bad for the players and I hope that a coach would put them in when we play a weaker team which usually happens.  But believe me it is a TEAM they win as a team and lose as a TEAM.  They practice together and are friends together.  It is called growing up and we have to let me grow up and learn what competition is about.  Only my opinion.
    Posted by above-the-law[/QUOTE]

Yes, I did ask for your opinion, I appreciate your feelings on the issue so in my response I just wanted you to know that I support your dgt on the team if she was needed, number wise, not talent.  Above here you are now saying she "beat out girls that were there a long time", thats what may be bothersome.  I think you mean that once SM's drew from the 8th gr pool she then had every right to play hard and win a top spot, BUT, and this is big...  did she go to a HS tryout as an 8th grader becaues SM's "barely had 3 lines" or because everyone wanted her talent?  I'm thinking in your case is the latter and she was just good enough to play line 1 and it helped to establish and excellent hockey program!

Its a good debate, and one I think the MIAA really has to look into.  SM's is a little different cause they are a t 6-12 school. Medford on the other hand is not, and what I heard was waivers were obtained 3 years ago to get the "club" team formed and now they just renew them for the sake of keeping talent on the team and many 9-12 graders are leaving the program, thats sad.  You can't always put a winner on the ice, year to year a coach needs to deal with the "talent or lack there of" that they get. A good coach can work with anyone and make them better, maybe not line 1, but better.

thanks for being honest about your situation, its important we have good conversation of the blog!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfamakestherules. Show medfamakestherules's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : High School coaches are paid. They are paid to put the best product on the field or ice. If the kids have problems in school they should sit. I believe everyone feels the same on that. Do you think a 7th grade stud should sit because a 12th grade bender shows up to play a sport she's over her head playing?  You sound like a very nice intelligent person. The fundamental difference here is that a school sport is for the best players. Liberal thinking has crept into EVERYTHING including sports. How many trophies, metals or plaques have your kids gotten for NO acheivement? it's rediculous.  Her sitting to allow a bender to play one shift will stop her natural progression. I've said it before. it's not her fault she's that good and the juniors and seniors aren't. Maybe they should have a club team for the players that get cut. if the other poster's daughter is truly a Div 1 player (college or High School?)she must have played with older kids at one point in her life.

Nope, guess what... div 1 high school, NEVER played up, played within. She played on select and town, sometimes 3 teams of ALL different talents but ALL same age.  She went to select camps and private lessons, anytime she could get advice she listened.  She made herself better at her AGE. As I said, waivers were availabe but we chose to play age appropriate select instead. It can work, just takes a lot of desire and a love for hockey.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

Hingham at SMH - postponed

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Would not be surprised to see you start the season 9-0 based on the quality of you opposition.
    Posted by Icing-2[/QUOTE]

It's looking more and more like you may be right. Framingham 7 Weymouth 0.  Braintree coach was there as was another coach taping. Odd, not a team I would think of as needing to be scouted to that extent. <shrug /> Whatever floats their boat if nothing else to do on a Saturday morning I guess.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : That bites! That could have been a good game tonight.

It wasn't my fault, I swear (Magellan will understand). But I assume they will reschedule.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from unemployed3. Show unemployed3's posts

too bad the game was postponed.. i was looking forward to watching the midgets celebrate with shrimp cocktails

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rogerde. Show rogerde's posts

Lexington 3-1 over Woburn and Stoneham 7-6 over Wakefield?? Anyone know if these scores are true and how the games were played??

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

[QUOTE]Lexington 3-1 over Woburn and Stoneham 7-6 over Wakefield?? Anyone know if these scores are true and how the games were played??
    Posted by rogerde[/QUOTE]

Great game! Take away two soft goals and this was a tie. Give Coach M some more time with this young group of players and Woburn will compete this season.

Stoneham is proving they can score goals.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hillsideoldtimer. Show hillsideoldtimer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Great game! Take away two soft goals and this was a tie. Give Coach M some more time with this young group of players and Woburn will compete this season. Stoneham is proving they can score goals.
    Posted by Sportsdad23[/QUOTE]

Whats up with Stoneham...  ???  Is anyone surprized they beat Wakefield?