EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reg-Dunlop. Show Reg-Dunlop's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011

My opinion is that I don’t think that middle school girls should be allowed to play on high school teams at this stage in the development of girl’s hockey.   In our town, this and last season, there are upper classmen that have quit or not tried out because of the influx of freshman who got the chance to play youth hockey their whole lives.   In some cases, the younger girls are better than the older girls because they have been skating longer.   And the older players know it.  Inviting middle school players creates a whole host of problems.    A senior may not be pleased to sit on the bench while a girl who isn’t even in high school yet is out on the ice.    

Middle school girls will get their time.   They are still in youth hockey and play a full season, there is no need to take the experience away from the older girls.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Dad - more like an AD who didn't think that it was needed.  They are after all only the girls hockey team.  It's not for lack of trying on the coaching staff's part. Our best hope is for the AD's to pass the rule amendment at the MIAA meeting in June.  If it doesn't pass and we are left to the mercy of all the other AD's and our own, we are going to be up the creek without a paddle. We graduate 5 this year, 4 skaters and a goalie.  We have only 2 skaters coming in next year without the middle schoolers. If they can add in the middle schoolers they then have 11 to pick and choose from to fill the holes with.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011:
    [QUOTE]My opinion is that I don’t think that middle school girls should be allowed to play on high school teams at this stage in the development of girl’s hockey.    In our town, this and last season, there are upper classmen that have quit or not tried out because of the influx of freshman who got the chance to play youth hockey their whole lives.     In some cases, the younger girls are better than the older girls because they have been skating longer.    And the older players know it.   Inviting middle school players creates a whole host of problems.     A senior may not be pleased to sit on the bench while a girl who isn’t even in high school yet is out on the ice.      Middle school girls will get their time.    They are still in youth hockey and play a full season, there is no need to take the experience away from the older girls.
    Posted by Reg-Dunlop[/QUOTE]

Hi Reg,
    I do see your point and I can understand. But for some towns and schools there would be no team without waivers. So if you let some schools use waivers that could give them an advantage over others. So it is made available to all that qualify.

It is a shame that some of the upper classmen don't get a chance to play. I guess it depends on your perspective. Does the school want to put out the most competitive team possible or does it want for all its student/atheletes to have a chance to compete. The two are not necessarily compatible.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Reg - It's not about what is best for one single player and her own ego and/or whether or not her college transcript lists a varsity letter for a sport that she never really committed to, never cared that much about and never put the time or effort into getting better at.  It's about what is best for the team and the program as a whole. Since when did high school sports become the 'everyone gets to play equally' time of their lives?  What happened to how things were back when I was still playing?  You were either good enough to play, or you weren't. If you weren't, you either pulled up your bootstraps and worked your butt off to get better and earn more playing time or you pouted in the corner and quit. I'll take the player who works her butt off and improves from month to month & works in the off season over the the player who's first reaction is to quit because she didn't get what she wanted.  Not someone I want on my team if I were still playing that is for sure.    Why should someone who has never played before play over someone who is stronger at the varsity level? Isn't that what JV is for? Why should someone who has no intention of ever playing this game ever again and is only doing it to have a varsity letter on their college transcript prevent a player, who not only has been playing their whole life, but intends to play beyond high school from playing? What about the fact that by not allowing them to play is going to literally cause some programs to have to fold?  What about the schools like ours who have for years not applied for a waiver and has gone with their h.s. aged players only and has paid the price in their lack of depth and strength because of it? Meanwhile, every team they play against either have had or are currently using waivers and are rolling 4 lines of players when we can only field 2 full lines with 2 extra forwards? In our schools case, if this doesn't pass, they are not only going to lose the potential depth of having their 8th graders, but they will also potentially lose at least 1 possibly 2 of the current sophomores, both of whom have turned down ISL offers.  They will be gone and so will the stronger 8th graders who will opt for privates and never step in the doors of our public school. Which is a shame, because it's an excellent school academically.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from endofroad. Show endofroad's posts

[QUOTE]My opinion is that I don’t think that middle school girls should be allowed to play on high school teams at this stage in the development of girl’s hockey.    In our town, this and last season, there are upper classmen that have quit or not tried out because of the influx of freshman who got the chance to play youth hockey their whole lives.     In some cases, the younger girls are better than the older girls because they have been skating longer.    And the older players know it.   Inviting middle school players creates a whole host of problems.     A senior may not be pleased to sit on the bench while a girl who isn’t even in high school yet is out on the ice.      Middle school girls will get their time.    They are still in youth hockey and play a full season, there is no need to take the experience away from the older girls.

this is the new way of the United States. Everyone plays. trophies for everyone.
    all 12 year olds make the majors. don't cut anyone they will feel bad.

how do you expect a player to start skating at Thanksgiving to play with a player that has skated since September? it doesn't work.

I'd love to play for the Bruins but I think I have to practice just a little bit more.

this isn't Little League. It's High School sports. get the player on the ice more with someone that knows the game and everyone will be happy. maybe there would be a JV or middle school girls team

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reg-Dunlop. Show Reg-Dunlop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : this is the new way of the United States. Everyone plays. trophies for everyone. all 12 year olds make the majors. don't cut anyone they will feel bad. how do you expect a player to start skating at Thanksgiving to play with a player that has skated since September? it doesn't work. I'd love to play for the Bruins but I think I have to practice just a little bit more. this isn't Little League. It's High School sports. get the player on the ice more with someone that knows the game and everyone will be happy. maybe there would be a JV or middle school girls team  
    Posted by endofroad[/QUOTE]

Bingo!   It's a high school sport.   That is my point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Your point makes no sense then. High school is when the "everyone plays equally" ends. If you're not getting the playing time you want, then WORK HARDER. Your coach WILL notice the effort and reward you for it.  What is so difficult about that concept?  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reg-Dunlop. Show Reg-Dunlop's posts

[QUOTE]Your point makes no sense then. High school is when the "everyone plays equally" ends. If you're not getting the playing time you want, then WORK HARDER. Your coach WILL notice the effort and reward you for it.  What is so difficult about that concept?  
    Posted by Hockeymomsrule[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute.  My point was not that all kids play equally, it was that pre-high school kids should not be eligible to play on a high school varsity team.  Don't put words in my mouth.

Sheesh!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Wait a minute.  My point was not that all kids play equally, it was that pre-high school kids should not be eligible to play on a high school varsity team.  Don't put words in my mouth. Sheesh!

Reg - MIAA rules allow schools with combined Senior/Junior High Schools (same building) to play Middle School kids on their Varsity teams, giving them an experience advantage as the top seniors (200 point club) have 6 or 7 years of Varsity play under their belts. Make it consistent for all school systems, 9-12, 7-12, or 6-12 for all. Girls mature earlier than boys, and there are many Middle School girls who would step onto a top line on their Varsity team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reg-Dunlop. Show Reg-Dunlop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Reg - MIAA rules allow schools with combined Senior/Junior High Schools (same building) to play Middle School kids on their Varsity teams, giving them an experience advantage as the top seniors (200 point club) have 6 or 7 years of Varsity play under their belts. Make it consistent for all school systems, 9-12, 7-12, or 6-12 for all. Girls mature earlier than boys, and there are many Middle School girls who would step onto a top line on their Varsity team.
    Posted by Sportsdad23[/QUOTE]

That it true, but, I think that this will take care of itself in a few years as we start to see the larger population of girls that are playing youth hockey now filter into the high schools.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Well you were right Good, although not for nothing but Natick had a lot of help from the ref's in this one.  Final score 3-1, with the 3rd an empty netter.  Natick's first goal the net was off it's moarings by 6 inches minimum after the initial save, rebound knocked in and not waived off...even after the ref himself put the net back on its moarings.   Framingham's first goal once again (for 3rd time this season) in and out so fast it was waived off/not seen, 2nd goal finally counted.  Natick got in one more that was a legit solid goal and then the empty netter.  Overall was a great game and the first fun game to watch these girls play so far this year.  They all played their hardest every shift which was nice to see.  Was a shame to have the end result be affected so drastically by poor refereeing/eyesight. Game should have been a 1-1 tie.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

Well one thing is for certain.....this year is going to be the most unpredictable in my memory.

On the points about middle school players it has been a topic that will take place for the forseable future..

I see two major points that make it a dilemma
    1) the MIAA as someone pointed out "rubber stamps" every waiver request
    2) way too much publicity on these players.  There is one in the Globe today. If they are necesary to make teams well so be it, but to put them on a pedistal well....

Oh well
    Merry Christmas to everyone!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoalieMom93. Show GoalieMom93's posts

For the first time my child's HS team is finally able to have 2 lines of hockey players with the Middle School waiver.  The Varsity team for several years has played with 1 to 1.5 lines and 1 goalie in Division 1.  The younger girls are more than capable of holding their own and more.  The team has had players for years who hang up their skates in Feb and de-rust them again on Thanksgiving to get that letter and girls who started skating in 9th grade, have worked their butt off and are now captains/first line players.  If they work for it and earn it they won't be sitting for a younger player.  Any coach will tell you Varsity Level sport is about winning and just because the team doesn't have enough players to cut kids doesn't mean they get equal play time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoalieMom93. Show GoalieMom93's posts

And good luck to that 7th grade goalie at AB.  They have been a good team that hasn't had the net support.  Hope she helps them reach their true potential as a team

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Matty+Ice. Show Matty+Ice's posts

Walpole 4 Newton North 1
    Walpole dominated 1st period, was 2-0, could have been 5 or 6.
    Newton North settled in and played better in the 2nd period, actually cutting the lead to 2-1.  Walpole better in 3rd, scoring twice, but not dominating like in the 1st.
    Story of this game was Newton North goalie.  She is a quality netminder, with very good puck handling abilities.  She kept the Tigers in the game.
    I didn't hear shots totals, but I would guess something along the lines of almost 30 for Walpole and less than 10 for Newton North.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from endofroad. Show endofroad's posts

[QUOTE]For the first time my child's HS team is finally able to have 2 lines of hockey players with the Middle School waiver.  The Varsity team for several years has played with 1 to 1.5 lines and 1 goalie in Division 1.  The younger girls are more than capable of holding their own and more.  The team has had players for years who hang up their skates in Feb and de-rust them again on Thanksgiving to get that letter and girls who started skating in 9th grade, have worked their butt off and are now captains/first line players.  If they work for it and earn it they won't be sitting for a younger player.  Any coach will tell you Varsity Level sport is about winning and just because the team doesn't have enough players to cut kids doesn't mean they get equal play time.
    Posted by GoalieMom93[/QUOTE]

AMEN SISTER!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

As far as 8th graders go, if it saves a program, by no means go forward. I can't think of any other reason to bring anybody up. most players in HS have the strength/muscle to beat out any 8th grader, no matter how they skate, assuming they are not a sailboat skater! Ya I just made that up which means someone drifting in the wind(public skater)
    I got a bad feeling at the rink last night, lots of parents upset at the lay over between games during the holiday with our team (I guess due to the Polar Bear tourney) My Daughters coach hasn't had a problem in the last 3 years, what about you?

WT

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

[QUOTE]As far as 8th graders go, if it saves a program, by no means go forward. I can't think of any other reason to bring anybody up. most players in HS have the strength/muscle to beat out any 8th grader, no matter how they skate, assuming they are not a sailboat skater! Ya I just made that up which means someone drifting in the wind(public skater) I got a bad feeling at the rink last night, lots of parents upset at the lay over between games during the holiday with our team (I guess due to the Polar Bear tourney) My Daughters coach hasn't had a problem in the last 3 years, what about you? WT
    Posted by wtcash[/QUOTE]

Many Mass Pub/Cath teams allow their girls to participate in the Polar Bear Tournament, some do not. The Polar Bear tournament is the most scouted girls tournament in the east. It is a shame that some coaches do not recognize this opportunity for girls to get the exposure to college level play and coaches/scouts. Our team has been fortunate enough to have a coach that recognizes this opportunity.

Besides all that its a great tournament!! What else would you do between holidays?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Our girls are "off" for PB over winter break as well.  Optional/informal practices  for those that are around.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cager. Show cager's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Many Mass Pub/Cath teams allow their girls to participate in the Polar Bear Tournament, some do not. The Polar Bear tournament is the most scouted girls tournament in the east. It is a shame that some coaches do not recognize this opportunity for girls to get the exposure to college level play and coaches/scouts. Our team has been fortunate enough to have a coach that recognizes this opportunity. Besides all that its a great tournament!! What else would you do between holidays?
    Posted by ghockeyfan[/QUOTE]

This was true at one time, not any longer.  The "scouting" tournament is NAHA on Labor Day Weekend.  In which colleges will see every team, some twice, searching for unknowns.

PB is used as a follow-up "scout".   Coaches have supplied schedules, and are following up on specific players.  

If you are a "senior", get honest about your level of play, and contact the appropriate level of D3, or Club Schools.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaRocket. Show DaRocket's posts

AP 3   Fontbonne 3.   Info?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

If you are looking to play D1 and want to see how your team stacks up with the best of Canada:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~juniorsabres/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from danajim. Show danajim's posts

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from danajim. Show danajim's posts

We would have had no team at all for these past 5 or so years that Newton South has been varsity, were it not for the 1-4 per year middle schoolers that have come up! We would still be a frustrated and frustrating club team...! I think some of you folk from traditional hockey towns with established programs forget that we newbie programs are out there!  I think that this is exactly how new programs are able to
    get into the competition at all.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from metrofan. Show metrofan's posts

[QUOTE]Reg - It's not about what is best for one single player and her own ego and/or whether or not her college transcript lists a varsity letter for a sport that she never really committed to, never cared that much about and never put the time or effort into getting better at.  It's about what is best for the team and the program as a whole. Since when did high school sports become the 'everyone gets to play equally' time of their lives?  What happened to how things were back when I was still playing?  You were either good enough to play, or you weren't. If you weren't, you either pulled up your bootstraps and worked your butt off to get better and earn more playing time or you pouted in the corner and quit. I'll take the player who works her butt off and improves from month to month & works in the off season over the the player who's first reaction is to quit because she didn't get what she wanted.  Not someone I want on my team if I were still playing that is for sure.    Why should someone who has never played before play over someone who is stronger at the varsity level? Isn't that what JV is for? Why should someone who has no intention of ever playing this game ever again and is only doing it to have a varsity letter on their college transcript prevent a player, who not only has been playing their whole life, but intends to play beyond high school from playing? What about the fact that by not allowing them to play is going to literally cause some programs to have to fold?  What about the schools like ours who have for years not applied for a waiver and has gone with their h.s. aged players only and has paid the price in their lack of depth and strength because of it? Meanwhile, every team they play against either have had or are currently using waivers and are rolling 4 lines of players when we can only field 2 full lines with 2 extra forwards? In our schools case, if this doesn't pass, they are not only going to lose the potential depth of having their 8th graders, but they will also potentially lose at least 1 possibly 2 of the current sophomores, both of whom have turned down ISL offers.  They will be gone and so will the stronger 8th graders who will opt for privates and never step in the doors of our public school. Which is a shame, because it's an excellent school academically.
    Posted by Hockeymomsrule[/QUOTE]
    As far as waivers go, Framingham should not get waivers, they have a JV program. Quality is not a factor its quanity, true Framingham has a couple of 7th graders that play in its girls program U14 only one would be able to contribute at the varsity level the others are too little, heard about it all fall. AB should not be able to still secure waivers for it's 7th and 8th graders either I think this is their 3rd year of waivers it should have ended when you have 18plus on the bench and six on the ice. Same goes for Milton they've had their programs a longtime. As far as losing kids to ISL Framingham has 1 sophomore who could possibly play at lower level ISL school, I am talking about comp not academics. St. Marks, Middlesex. I have seen Framingham this year they are a middle of the road team, two quick defensemen that have to play a near perfect game to help the two others. Forwards don't really have that sniper of previous years will have to score ugly goals so far ugly has not worked. Goalie at this point is only as good as defense in front, may have stolen game at AB if team had scored, AB clearly the superior team Framingham kept it close but never generated any offense. I am like other fans I belive you must get kids at Hs to come out maybe find that real athlete that never played before and make her or him a player. HS sports are about fun not whats at the end of their HS careers trying to make it at the next level, trust me if you have been contacted by now club hockey at best in college is all you are going to play. Check the roster of the colleges at d3 99% are from private schools a public school kid from time to time is going to make it but has to be able to compete, be able to skate at that level and more important be able to understand the game. Stepping on the ice and giving it your all when its your time. They get it at private school some get it at public.

Sections
Shortcuts