EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cager. Show cager's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011:
    [QUOTE]..... I am like other fans I belive you must get kids at Hs to come out maybe find that real athlete that never played before and make her or him a player. HS sports are about fun not whats at the end of their HS careers trying to make it at the next level, trust me if you have been contacted by now club hockey at best in college is all you are going to play. Check the roster of the colleges at d3 99% are from private schools a public school kid from time to time is going to make it but has to be able to compete, be able to skate at that level and more important be able to understand the game. Stepping on the ice and giving it your all when its your time. They get it at private school some get it at public.
    Posted by metrofan[/QUOTE]

While I am in agreement with much of what I didn't quote from you, I do want to point out that putting 7th and 8th graders together with Seniors, is often a bad idea, given the gap in social maturity.  

If numbers are an issue, the MIAA provides for Co-Op teams.   Which is a much better method, especially for the younger students, than seeking waivers. 

As to the purpose of HS sports, serving as an academic incentive is job one.  That this transfers into a college incentive, is part of the "job".

As regards D3 rosters, your statement would indicate you haven't looked at them, or at least many of them.   While it is true that many players from privates focus on college playing opportunities, there are also players from public schools in D3, and a few in D1.

UMass Boston, with a new coaching staff this season, doesn't even have a full roster, dressing 14 skaters in a game I saw earlier featuring a mix of public and private.   In fact, I saw them dominate the "private" roster from Wesleyan.

The biggest problem is peoples perception, rather than reality.  IF you are a senior, get real about the level of play you can fit into.  Understand that not even all of the "Dream Team" published by the Herald can play in D1.  

Get your emails flying now !   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Change-Up. Show Change-Up's posts

My question is actually how many of the waiver request does the MIAA even do follow up checks into programs or do they rubber stamp them.  IMHO I would rather see a co-op team as opposed to a group of 7th and 8th graders playing in HS. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Metro - you seem to have limited information on the Framingham girls, you're missing a few. There are 2 others that don't play on the girls U14 town team that are very strong players in their own right. One is still playing with the boys, Pee Wee A, boys middle school, and playing Tier I girls, the other is playing Tier I club with the girls, no boys. Just the addition of the 2 stronger/bigger 7th graders would have given the h.s. a full 3 lines, which would have been huge this year.  The only way the waiver thing is going to be a non-issue is to make it an across the board ruling so that the same rules apply to all schools involved.  It's simply not fair to have some schools limited to fielding 2 lines with a couple of extras if they're lucky going against schools that are fielding 4 lines of players through the use of rubber stamped waivers.  I don't think that's unreasonable at all.  Either everyone can use them, or no one can.  

Now that I've had my "boston.com fix" am heading off to the rink for the oldests last game of the tourny, semi finals tomorrow for the little one. Ugh, just.want.to.go.home.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from metrofan. Show metrofan's posts

[QUOTE]Metro - you seem to have limited information on the Framingham girls, you're missing a few. There are 2 others that don't play on the girls U14 town team that are very strong players in their own right. One is still playing with the boys, Pee Wee A, boys middle school, and playing Tier I girls, the other is playing Tier I club with the girls, no boys. Just the addition of the 2 stronger/bigger 7th graders would have given the h.s. a full 3 lines, which would have been huge this year.  The only way the waiver thing is going to be a non-issue is to make it an across the board ruling so that the same rules apply to all schools involved.  It's simply not fair to have some schools limited to fielding 2 lines with a couple of extras if they're lucky going against schools that are fielding 4 lines of players through the use of rubber stamped waivers.  I don't think that's unreasonable at all.  Either everyone can use them, or no one can.   Now that I've had my "boston.com fix" am heading off to the rink for the oldests last game of the tourny, semi finals tomorrow for the little one. Ugh, just.want.to.go.home.
    Posted by Hockeymomsrule[/QUOTE]
    HockeyMom you are pushing this waiver thing because you obviously have a dog in the fight, Framingham has a JV program they are not lacking numbers they are lacking talent to compete. I've seen them numerous times over the years they have players in the JV program maybe not varsity ready players but numbers thats how the waiver system works. You are complaining about talent that should not be taken into account its numbers. The coach has a 3rd line he won't use again talent is his choice. If he looked down and only sees 3-4extra players like a Weston/Wayland then he has a right to seek waivers. Like I said I don't know how AB is continuing to get them but when they played Framingham there were 15 players or so on the bench. Was this right ? No. Established teams like AB, Milton even Weymouth should not be seeking waivers, Billerica had an army of players on the bench at the sports center. This tells me there is no need for waiver. AB goalie 7th grader should not be playing certainly capable but if I were the backup goalie's parents there would be a major sh.t storm going on right now. She should be the goalie not the 7th grader. As far as the Framingham younger girls seen them not overly impressed with the physical maturity or understanding of the game, playing boys hockey at this age is not helping them gain the knowledge of skating, cycling the puck. If they are still playing boys that means they check or they are looking to get checked whole different game. Framingham doesn't need anymore players dropping the hammer on opposing players they have a couple of bigger girls that get taken to the cleaners in the open space. Still reverting back to boys play instead of moving their feet like real girl players do. Get them away from boys hockey at the end of squirts and teach them their edges and handling the puck girls hockey is skating and passing not lumbering around the ice or standing in the d zone like a fixed signal. Lean times are ahead, Natick kind of showed them what the future looks like, not sure I hear any of their parents complaining about skating just two lines. Can go on forever still think waivers should be stopped unless your team is lacking 15 players and a goalie. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Otto-Maddox. Show Otto-Maddox's posts

Weymouth is a THIRD year varsity program certainly not "established" and only applied for the waiver because they needed a goalie.  Only one other 8th grader on the team.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : HockeyMom you are pushing this waiver thing because you obviously have a dog in the fight, Framingham has a JV program they are not lacking numbers they are lacking talent to compete. I've seen them numerous times over the years they have players in the JV program maybe not varsity ready players but numbers thats how the waiver system works. You are complaining about talent that should not be taken into account its numbers. The coach has a 3rd line he won't use again talent is his choice. If he looked down and only sees 3-4extra players like a Weston/Wayland then he has a right to seek waivers. Like I said I don't know how AB is continuing to get them but when they played Framingham there were 15 players or so on the bench. Was this right ? No. Established teams like AB, Milton even Weymouth should not be seeking waivers, Billerica had an army of players on the bench at the sports center. This tells me there is no need for waiver. AB goalie 7th grader should not be playing certainly capable but if I were the backup goalie's parents there would be a major sh.t storm going on right now. She should be the goalie not the 7th grader. As far as the Framingham younger girls seen them not overly impressed with the physical maturity or understanding of the game, playing boys hockey at this age is not helping them gain the knowledge of skating, cycling the puck. If they are still playing boys that means they check or they are looking to get checked whole different game. Framingham doesn't need anymore players dropping the hammer on opposing players they have a couple of bigger girls that get taken to the cleaners in the open space. Still reverting back to boys play instead of moving their feet like real girl players do. Get them away from boys hockey at the end of squirts and teach them their edges and handling the puck girls hockey is skating and passing not lumbering around the ice or standing in the d zone like a fixed signal. Lean times are ahead, Natick kind of showed them what the future looks like, not sure I hear any of their parents complaining about skating just two lines. Can go on forever still think waivers should be stopped unless your team is lacking 15 players and a goalie. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from endofroad. Show endofroad's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : HockeyMom you are pushing this waiver thing because you obviously have a dog in the fight, Framingham has a JV program they are not lacking numbers they are lacking talent to compete. I've seen them numerous times over the years they have players in the JV program maybe not varsity ready players but numbers thats how the waiver system works. You are complaining about talent that should not be taken into account its numbers. The coach has a 3rd line he won't use again talent is his choice. If he looked down and only sees 3-4extra players like a Weston/Wayland then he has a right to seek waivers. Like I said I don't know how AB is continuing to get them but when they played Framingham there were 15 players or so on the bench. Was this right ? No. Established teams like AB, Milton even Weymouth should not be seeking waivers, Billerica had an army of players on the bench at the sports center. This tells me there is no need for waiver. AB goalie 7th grader should not be playing certainly capable but if I were the backup goalie's parents there would be a major sh.t storm going on right now. She should be the goalie not the 7th grader. As far as the Framingham younger girls seen them not overly impressed with the physical maturity or understanding of the game, playing boys hockey at this age is not helping them gain the knowledge of skating, cycling the puck. If they are still playing boys that means they check or they are looking to get checked whole different game. Framingham doesn't need anymore players dropping the hammer on opposing players they have a couple of bigger girls that get taken to the cleaners in the open space. Still reverting back to boys play instead of moving their feet like real girl players do. Get them away from boys hockey at the end of squirts and teach them their edges and handling the puck girls hockey is skating and passing not lumbering around the ice or standing in the d zone like a fixed signal. Lean times are ahead, Natick kind of showed them what the future looks like, not sure I hear any of their parents complaining about skating just two lines. Can go on forever still think waivers should be stopped unless your team is lacking 15 players and a goalie. 

i have a dog in the fight too. What ever happened to the best players play. if the MIAA has rules tha allow them sorry. Maybe your daughter should have played against boys longer or played longer period. players or parents that expect to make a roster because of their grade is not how High School sports is set up. they don;t even cut for crying out loud. 
    get over it and get on the ice more. it's the only wa to get better and keep the underclassmen out of the line up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Metro - we have 13 skaters, 2 goalies. But yet you are dead set against us getting a waiver (which btw we didnt apply for).  Believe it or not I actually agree 100% with you on many of your reasons for not allowing waivers.  The fact of the matter is though that waivers are being used and they are being rubber stamped and schools like Natick and Framingham are the ones paying the price for playing with their h.s. players only. Our JV program? Is Learn to Skate. So is Naticks, so  what benefit does bringing someone who literally can't skate onto the bench at varsity have for either of them? My only "dog in this fight" is to have the rule be uniform across the division.  Having 3/4 of the teams in the division either using waivers, or able to use 6th-8th graders via the current rule as written, and having 3-4 schools left with just their 9th-12th graders does not exactly seem right does it? Very frustrating to watch so many teams run through 4 lines through 1st and 2nd periods and then drop to their top 2 lines for the last knowing the opponents 2 lines are toast by then, as is the case for every other school with same situation as us. They all do it to all of the smaller teams.  There has to be a way to make the rule uniform across the board.  Either middle schoolers are allowed by all without need of a waiver or they aren't at all, even if the middle school is attached to the high school.  That is the only way that this mess called girls h.s. hockey in this state will be fixed.

As far as Natick is concerned, they have hit the gold mine with their freshman class they have this year.  They are just thrilled to have 2 full lines of players who can actually legitimately play and a goalie who is an actual goalie with playing experience and Tier I experience to boot is just icing. As far as the two of them are concerned, the fact that it's a competitive game between them is seen as a hugely positive thing.  Last year, it was the opposite, it was Framingham who had the strong freshman come in. 2 years from now, it will again be Framingham who has the stronger freshman class come in. It cycles, it always does. That game was a lot of fun to watch, both sides played very well. Between a waived off goal and a goal that should have been waived off, it was for all intents and purposes a 1-1 tie game. Both teams very evenly matched for the first time in a long time.  Am sure Natick was more than happy with that. I know I would have been had I been on their side of the 'rivalry'.  Would you be complaining if your team went from being beaten 8-0 the previous year to playing that competitively the next season? It's all in the freshman, Natick had a solid group of Tier I level players and a goalie come to them this year, we lost our Tier I players to St. Marks & Rivers, and had all town level players come in. As the world turns, so does the cycle of hockey players.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

P.S. Metro - where is this 3rd line you're seeing? We have 2 lines with 2 extra's. The 2 extras are young and haven't learned the system yet, they'll get their regular playing time as they get more confident in the system. 15 skaters would seem like a lottery win for these girls.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from metrofan. Show metrofan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : i have a dog in the fight too. What ever happened to the best players play. if the MIAA has rules tha allow them sorry. Maybe your daughter should have played against boys longer or played longer period. players or parents that expect to make a roster because of their grade is not how High School sports is set up. they don;t even cut for crying out loud.  get over it and get on the ice more. it's the only wa to get better and keep the underclassmen out of the line up.  
    Posted by endofroad[/QUOTE]

All teams should have to play by the same rules, if you have a player that is attending your school she has a right to compete for the position. Just because you have a better 7th grader at another intown school she should not be eligible to play. Waivers are setup for hardships not to give teams advantage otherwise there would be kaos. Sorry a team needs to reach down to lower levels to get a goalie or forward etc. now we must step up and develope a goalie not seek a waiver because no one stepped up and wanted to play or the incumbant goalie is a stiff. If you have a JV Team like Framingham that should disqualify you. Again if Weymouth's backup goalie is in HS she should stand up be heard as well. Not sure what the BSC Ad's were thinking when they granted that waiver. Does anyone know what Milton's situation was that forced them to apply? St Mary's girls have the middle school in the High School thats how they get around that, Dedham did away with the 8th grader eligible year or two ago.   
    Weston Wayland got a waiver because they lacked numbers period, talent is a whole different thing. This is a total MIAA group dropping the ball, I don' blame the AB people if this group keeps giving you the bullets, guess what keep firing away.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Metro - truly not being snarky, but why do you continue to pick on Framingham? Do you honestly believe they are the only school to have a JV program? Our JV team plays a 12 game schedule, that means there are at least 12 other schools out there that have them. There are JV programs out there far more advanced than our "learn to skate" program.  Those same programs also will send their young varsity players to jv games against teams like ours and slaughter them for no reason other than to slaughter them.  Have you ever seen our JV program? Serious question, honestly curious because I just can't see how anyone could think there are legitimate "numbers" to bring up to varsity from that program at this time. Next year or the year after? Good possibility there will be 2-4 who will  make it to varsity if they continue to work the way they've worked through this past off season in addition to the in-season stuff.  It's actually been a pleasure to watch them improve from year to year and see first hand the hard work they've put into getting better in the off season. They've done everything from attending regular camps and clinics to renting the ice themselves over the summer and asking a couple of the varsity girls to go out on the ice with them and run them through drills. It's still 1-2 years before any of them are going to be strong enough skaters to be able to even tryout for varsity though. We have 12 this year.  We graduate 5.  We have 2 freshman coming in next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from metrofan. Show metrofan's posts

[QUOTE]Metro - truly not being snarky, but why do you continue to pick on Framingham? Do you honestly believe they are the only school to have a JV program? Our JV team plays a 12 game schedule, that means there are at least 12 other schools out there that have them. There are JV programs out there far more advanced than our "learn to skate" program.  Those same programs also will send their young varsity players to jv games against teams like ours and slaughter them for no reason other than to slaughter them.  Have you ever seen our JV program? Serious question, honestly curious because I just can't see how anyone could think there are legitimate "numbers" to bring up to varsity from that program at this time. Next year or the year after? Good possibility there will be 2-4 who will  make it to varsity if they continue to work the way they've worked through this past off season in addition to the in-season stuff.  It's actually been a pleasure to watch them improve from year to year and see first hand the hard work they've put into getting better in the off season. They've done everything from attending regular camps and clinics to renting the ice themselves over the summer and asking a couple of the varsity girls to go out on the ice with them and run them through drills. It's still 1-2 years before any of them are going to be strong enough skaters to be able to even tryout for varsity though. We have 12 this year.  We graduate 5.  We have 2 freshman coming in next year.
    Like your earlier post said make everything uniform, I totally believe that. As far as picking on Framingham I am using them as an example. Natick if they have a JV quess what that should exclude them. Earlier post said something about pulling yourself up by the boot straps, tough it out etc. Instead in the same breath your waving the white flag. We can go on and on its sportsmanship and fair play that is the stage I performed on and my kids perform on, if that makes me just an average guy that enjoys watching my kids in high school athletics I certainly can live with that. My intention was to state my opinion on the waiver issue not to pick on any particular HS or certainly any player.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

Woburn 7 Wakefield 2:

With Wakefield up 2-1 and the Tanners playing flat, Coach M makes a goalie change 7 minutes into the second period and the girls respond with 6 unanswered goals.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

OK who can explain the Middlesex league
    Lexington 5  Melrose/Watertown 5

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

[QUOTE]OK who can explain the Middlesex league Lexington 5  Melrose/Watertown 5
    Posted by Icing-2[/QUOTE]

Watertown/Melrose team was better than their record last season, and they look strong this year.

Stoneham is no surprise, team has some goal scorers.

Reading is strong in net, but needs offensive punch.

Wakefield is down this year.

Winchester seems uneven, but the season is young.

Burlington needs a goalie and is down in numbers.

Belmont continues to struggle.

Lexington and Woburn are still the teams to beat, but there is a lot of hockey left to play.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Metro my stance is two fold - 1) If the rule stays the same, then everyone should be given the waivers they ask for and no AD should prevent their own program or others from getting them; in that instance, yes, the older girls who are just starting out that are working towards earning an extra varsity letter for their high school transcript, should pull up their bootstraps and work their butts off to earn their spot and their playing time. Isn't that a little more self-rewarding of an accomplishment than being rostered just to fill a spot knowing you're never going to see a second of playing time and that you have no respect among your teammates for your work ethic? Our JV girls that are working their butts are probably the most respected hockey players in our program by our Varsity girls.  They root them on and help them in every way they can.  The one who came in talking the talk like she was going to make varsity just because she could skate pretty ok and spent no time over the summer working on her stick handling or puck skills and still couldn't catch a soft pass or shoot? Not so much.  If there's a younger player who has the size, strength and playing ability to handle varsity hockey before she's actually in high school, then good for her and the program who is going to have her for 5-6  years instead of just 4.

The other side of that coin is if the MIAA passes the rule it is then going to be up to each individual AD whether or not their coaches are allowed to let in 7th and 8th graders into their tryouts.  Personally, I think there should be a clause that it should only be allowed if a team is going to be faced with having less than 15 players.  We need to keep the public programs as strong as we can.  If we turn this into "everyone plays" including jv level players on varsitiy teams,  each and every public school is going to start losing each of their top players to the ISL's and catholics. Some schools truly need their 7th and 8th graders that can play at that level in order to keep their team competitive.  By competitive I'm not talking about a winning record either, I'm talking close games where their fate is at least in their own hands and not determined by the number of players on the opposing teams bench as compared to theirs. There are far too many young start up ISL teams out there who are more than willing to hand out the big bucks to get players in their doors. Not all of them will do it because they think they are good enough to play beyond h.s., some will do it for the simple desire to be in a program that has similarly abled teammates and are competitive in their league. 

Thanks for clarifying on just using Framingham as an example, was kinda baffled as to why we were being singled out, now I'm not. :-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Watertown/Melrose team was better than their record last season, and they look strong this year. Stoneham is no surprise, team has some goal scorers. Reading is strong in net, but needs offensive punch. Wakefield is down this year. Winchester seems uneven, but the season is young. Burlington needs a goalie and is down in numbers. Belmont continues to struggle. Lexington and Woburn are still the teams to beat, but there is a lot of hockey left to play.
    Posted by Sportsdad23[/QUOTE]

Great Points, I agree that Lexington and Woburn will seperate themselves a bit and I have seen Watertown/Melrose improving.  I think it may be time for Burlington to go the Co-Op Route, maybe with Wilmington/North Reading (they used to combine Girls programs in the past), especially since Wilmington will be joining the Middlesex League next year (along with Arlington) the timing may be right.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from HockeyDad01. Show HockeyDad01's posts

Options?

My daughter goes to a school that does not have a girls hockey team, but she really wants to play high school hockey.  She has been playing for about 10 years now, and is a pretty good player.  What are her options for getting on a local HS team?  Is a formal agreement between schools needed?  We don't want to move and cannot afford to pay for a prep school or the like.

Thanks

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Dad - tough situation to be  in, your daughter is unfortunately at the mercy of the AD at her h.s.  It is 100% their decision whether to agree to a co-op with another school.  I know of 2 girls in Hopkinton who are in the same boat.  Their AD said no to Medway, so Ashland went and jumped on board instead.  The 2 girls are fortunate though that they have been playing JV boys during the h.s. season so they are at least still playing.  I would honestly contact your AD now and just have a conversation with him to see if there are any plans to either start up a girls program or to co-op with a neighboring school.  If there aren't, try to feel him out as to how open he would be to looking into it.  Have your information at hand when you have the conversation, know the number of girls in each grade that are going to be students at the school.  Get in touch with your youth hockey program and find out from them how many girls they have playing both within their program and those that may have left for club teams. Get resourceful and start working, it will probably take numerous parents being on board that have knowledge of the situation and that are willing to work with the AD in putting it together for it to happen.  Everyone has to start somewhere, best of luck to you and your daughter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

Re: Options?

In Response to Options?:
    [QUOTE]My daughter goes to a school that does not have a girls hockey team, but she really wants to play high school hockey.  She has been playing for about 10 years now, and is a pretty good player.  What are her options for getting on a local HS team?  Is a formal agreement between schools needed?  We don't want to move and cannot afford to pay for a prep school or the like. Thanks
    Posted by HockeyDad01[/QUOTE]

HockeyDad, I also know of a player a few yrs back that went to Minuteman Voc. and got a waiver to play AHS. The same as "Medfa" said, got an attorney and had long battles with the AHS AD but finally won, hopefully she opened doors for others like you in that same situation. I guess the number one rule is "as long as your not furthering her education by going private" it should be ok to play for your town team.

WT

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

Woburn 7 Watertown/Melrose 0

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

CD back in net? 1st varsity shutout? Nice!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

[QUOTE]CD back in net? 1st varsity shutout? Nice!

Yes, and yes!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Katprowl17. Show Katprowl17's posts

[QUOTE]Woburn 7 Watertown/Melrose 0
    Posted by Sportsdad23[/QUOTE]

Hey Sportsdad23~~do you have a player on Woburn or are you just an avid fan?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Katprowl17. Show Katprowl17's posts

[QUOTE]Metro my stance is two fold - 1) If the rule stays the same, then everyone should be given the waivers they ask for and no AD should prevent their own program or others from getting them; in that instance, yes, the older girls who are just starting out that are working towards earning an extra varsity letter for their high school transcript, should pull up their bootstraps and work their butts off to earn their spot and their playing time. Isn't that a little more self-rewarding of an accomplishment than being rostered just to fill a spot knowing you're never going to see a second of playing time and that you have no respect among your teammates for your work ethic? Our JV girls that are working their butts are probably the most respected hockey players in our program by our Varsity girls.  They root them on and help them in every way they can.  The one who came in talking the talk like she was going to make varsity just because she could skate pretty ok and spent no time over the summer working on her stick handling or puck skills and still couldn't catch a soft pass or shoot? Not so much.  If there's a younger player who has the size, strength and playing ability to handle varsity hockey before she's actually in high school, then good for her and the program who is going to have her for 5-6  years instead of just 4. The other side of that coin is if the MIAA passes the rule it is then going to be up to each individual AD whether or not their coaches are allowed to let in 7th and 8th graders into their tryouts.  Personally, I think there should be a clause that it should only be allowed if a team is going to be faced with having less than 15 players.  We need to keep the public programs as strong as we can.  If we turn this into "everyone plays" including jv level players on varsitiy teams,  each and every public school is going to start losing each of their top players to the ISL's and catholics. Some schools truly need their 7th and 8th graders that can play at that level in order to keep their team competitive.  By competitive I'm not talking about a winning record either, I'm talking close games where their fate is at least in their own hands and not determined by the number of players on the opposing teams bench as compared to theirs. There are far too many young start up ISL teams out there who are more than willing to hand out the big bucks to get players in their doors. Not all of them will do it because they think they are good enough to play beyond h.s., some will do it for the simple desire to be in a program that has similarly abled teammates and are competitive in their league.  Thanks for clarifying on just using Framingham as an example, was kinda baffled as to why we were being singled out, now I'm not. :-)

Well I have been reading the posts going back and forth and this is for sure a tough one ~~ but I don't think that teams should be able to pull from the younger groups just to make their team more competitive.  If you can field a team then you have to play with what you have.  Believe me I would love to see some of the younger girls play sooner at our school as it will only help the team down the road...you get a jump on things....but we have enough girls in the program so those girls will just have to wait until it is their turn.  Good luck to both of you in your seasons ;-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

Ok 2011 is here and there are some Big games this week and a tough week ahead for The Harborwomen

Mon Jan 3 Hingham vs Arlington
    Wed Jan 5 Stoneham vs Lexington
    Wed Jan 5 Duxbury vs Hingham
    Sat Jan 8 St Mary's vs Hingham
    Sat Jan 8 Austin Prep vs Fontbonne