EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Yes, and yes!
    Posted by Sportsdad23[/QUOTE]

Awesome!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Kat - believe it or not, most of us don't disagree with that thinking.  The problem is that the majority of the schools ARE doing it, so those that are "playing by the rules" and not applying for waivers when they have 2 lines of players are the ones paying the price, well in all actuality it's the girls themselves paying the price by not being given a fair chance to be competitive against the rest of the teams in their divisions. The rule really needs to be looked at seriously and I hope that the MIAA doesn't just vote on this without due diligence.  The A/B coach outright admitted in a written article 'when he heard he was only going to have 13 skaters for this year with the h.s. aged girls he applied for the waiver'.  We only have 13 this year.  We graduate 5 and only have 2 coming in. Our coach isn't looking for a waiver until next year when we will only have 10 and 1 goalie. But yet there are coaches out there who have already voiced that they will vote against us getting a waiver.  Very frustrating when there are those getting rubber stamped waivers and those that are really going to be struggling just to field a team and are being told no.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

[QUOTE]Hockeymom-     You might want to read the article again... The AB coach stated "he had 12 players coming into this season" .  If you look at their roster on masshshockey.com they have 18 skaters and 2 goalies .  Out of those, they have 5  8th graders and 2  7th graders, and one of the 7th graders is the goalie... They have 6 seniors (all skaters), which means they will have will have 12 skaters and 2 goalies coming into next year.  Im sure they will be applying for a waiver again with those numbers, but they already have 7th and 8th graders so who knows if there are anymore down there.  In my opinion 12 skaters is not enough to have a team, I think you need a minumum of 15 skaters and 2 goalies .... but a roster 0f 18 to 20 is ideal for a varsity sport.  You guys should have gotten a waiver, especially with losing 5 sr's, you could have developed those younger players.  Just the practice alone, would have been tremendous for them ! If teams do not get waivers, that need them... you will start to see some programs fold or co-oping with other towns that have some girls players .  Best of luck to all teams !  Happy New Year to everyone !
    Posted by lebo12[/QUOTE]

lebo12 you beat me to the punch, I couldn't log in fast enough. Thats exactly what I was going to say, that  you need at least 15 skaters to play Varsity hockey and shame on the Framingham coach not getting the waiver(if they qualify). A/B knows that, so does many other town team, why didn't the FHS coach do so, who knows. Do they have players but they figure they aren't good enough, sorry doesn't work that way, its all about the numbers. Includes Varsity and JV, no matter how they are as a player, could be an "ankle bender" but they are considered a number. Mom, does FHS have a JV or not, I've read they do in a past post, so you need to include them in the 13.

Wt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from suburbanbob. Show suburbanbob's posts

I know AHS JV are playing Framingham JV either this or next month. So my question is, why doesn't the coach bring up a a few players to fill in the 3rd line and have a 4th on the bench. This would develope the players for next year, plus give the 4th incentive to get better either during this season, summer and/or fall. I feel your lucky to even have the numbers for a JV program, I could name a few programs that barely have enough players nevermind talent for a varsity!
    Anyways, its like beating a dead horse, enough on this subject, lets talk about the upcoming games.
    Any input on Hingham?
    How about explaining the Woburn/Watertown game, did the W/M goalie show up, How about EK, was she still in ct? Gotta be something behind the scene!

Bob

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from metrofan. Show metrofan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : lebo12 you beat me to the punch, I couldn't log in fast enough. Thats exactly what I was going to say, that  you need at least 15 skaters to play Varsity hockey and shame on the Framingham coach not getting the waiver(if they qualify). A/B knows that, so does many other town team, why didn't the FHS coach do so, who knows. Do they have players but they figure they aren't good enough, sorry doesn't work that way, its all about the numbers. Includes Varsity and JV, no matter how they are as a player, could be an "ankle bender" but they are considered a number. Mom, does FHS have a JV or not, I've read they do in a past post, so you need to include them in the 13. Wt
    Posted by wtcash[/QUOTE]
    Framingham has a JV program ankle skaters as the say but those numbers need to be counted. Does AB have a JV team? I was under the impression they did. From the looks of it the number of kids on the bench when they played Framingham I would say someone pulled the wool over someone eyes. If thats 15 skaters in the whole program then I agree they needed a waiver. Milton and Weymouth, Billerica do they have JV if so then they shouldn't have qualified. Framingham is certainly up against as far as quality no doubt, not much in the pipeline as far as I can tell. Will certainly be an also ran for next 4-5 years.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Otto-Maddox. Show Otto-Maddox's posts

Not sure why you keep mentioning Weymouth, Weymouth has no JV team only 1 goalie in the system, no one at the HS plays goalie, the 8th grade goalie is the ONLY goalie there is no backup that is the reason they asked for the waiver. 

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Framingham has a JV program ankle skaters as the say but those numbers need to be counted. Does AB have a JV team? I was under the impression they did. From the looks of it the number of kids on the bench when they played Framingham I would say someone pulled the wool over someone eyes. If thats 15 skaters in the whole program then I agree they needed a waiver. Milton and Weymouth, Billerica do they have JV if so then they shouldn't have qualified. Framingham is certainly up against as far as quality no doubt, not much in the pipeline as far as I can tell. Will certainly be an also ran for next 4-5 years.  
    Posted by metrofan[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyrules. Show hockeyrules's posts

[QUOTE]Ok 2011 is here and there are some Big games this week and a tough week ahead for The Harborwomen Mon Jan 3 Hingham vs Arlington Wed Jan 5 Stoneham vs Lexington Wed Jan 5 Duxbury vs Hingham Sat Jan 8 St Mary's vs Hingham Sat Jan 8 Austin Prep vs Fontbonne  
    Posted by Icing-2[/QUOTE]

who are you predicting for winners?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockey4eva. Show Hockey4eva's posts

Why is Hingham not in any league?  Anyone know?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Bob - as you will see when your JV plays our JV, our JV is literally not only 'learn to play', but 'learn to skate'. I'm truly not dumping on our JV girls, I am very impressed with their work ethic, it's just the level they are currently at.  There are a small handful that are working very hard during the season and in the off-seaon to get better.  Hopefully in a couple of years a few will be ready to make the jump.  Our coach will give them a chance once they show they can play at least 3rd line minutes.  We just graduated a Sr last year who started as a freshman and was playing 2nd line minutes by her Sr year. Currently our JV consists of girls who just started skating and playing last season and some just this season. Unfortunately there just isn't anyone there yet that is strong enough to even think about throwing into a game on a regular basis outside of say a Brookline game, in which he does bring up a handful of the JV girls (at least he did last year) and they do get to play once a lead is established that can be protected by a few varsity players mixed in with the JV girls.  I will say there is one player on our JV that could have made Varsity, who has experience and is definately the "super star" of the JV team.  Unfortunately she was not willing to make the committment needed for a varsity sport and even after multiple chances still wouldn't do the things she needed to do to show she had enough committment to play a varsity sport.  With that said, we'll see our JV girls that are the most likely to either make the jump next year or the year after when we play Brookline.  It's very possible things won't be as bleak next year as is currently thought, but that would definately be an unexpected (and lovely) surprise.

Metro - I wouldn't say next 4-5 years, they have the potential to have a solidly competitive team when this years sophomores are Sr.'s.  The 7th grade class coming in is huge (11 players), with a linefull currently playing Tier I club hockey. Not all of our 7th graders play in FYHP boys or girls.  If they all go to the h.s., it will be the first time in the programs history they have ever had a full line of Tier I caliber players come in the same year.  It's either a 2 year "break" from the tournament if the rule doesn't pass, or a 1 year break if it does and those then 8th graders are allowed to play. 

On the positive side, whether either of my daughters will benefit from it or not is more than likely not, but there is at least finally a 'push' within the youth program to start focusing on the girls at all positions, including goalie, and a desire to push their development further along than it has been in the past.  Will be at least 4-5 years before any of that is seen at the h.s. level, but they have to start somewhere and at least they are now realizing the girls deserve just as much focus as the boys.

For those who say 'shame on our coach' for not applying, don't be so fast to condemn him on that front.  Although there are things he does that I think he's crazy to think these girls can do (for example, the system they play 2-1-2, gotta be one of the hardest to do without a full roster of Tier I caliber players), he has gone to our AD and plead his case to no avail.  Whether its because the AD knows there are AD's/coaches who will vote against it and it won't be given or whether because the girls hockey team isn't the football team or girls lacrosse team & he just doesn't care, we honestly don't know, but either way, our coach has been fighting an uphill battle on this issue and hasn't stopped the behind the scenes work to keep fighting for it in case the rule doesn't pass.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Garmin. Show Garmin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : lebo12 you beat me to the punch, I couldn't log in fast enough. Thats exactly what I was going to say, that  you need at least 15 skaters to play Varsity hockey and shame on the Framingham coach not getting the waiver(if they qualify). A/B knows that, so does many other town team, why didn't the FHS coach do so, who knows. Do they have players but they figure they aren't good enough, sorry doesn't work that way, its all about the numbers. Includes Varsity and JV, no matter how they are as a player, could be an "ankle bender" but they are considered a number. Mom, does FHS have a JV or not, I've read they do in a past post, so you need to include them in the 13. Wt
    Posted by wtcash[/QUOTE]

Don't tell St Mary's that, this season I have seen them going to a game with 13 skaters and 2 goalies.  Do not  quite know why they do that unless they only have those 15 players???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Katprowl17. Show Katprowl17's posts

[QUOTE]I know AHS JV are playing Framingham JV either this or next month. So my question is, why doesn't the coach bring up a a few players to fill in the 3rd line and have a 4th on the bench. This would develope the players for next year, plus give the 4th incentive to get better either during this season, summer and/or fall. I feel your lucky to even have the numbers for a JV program, I could name a few programs that barely have enough players nevermind talent for a varsity! Anyways, its like beating a dead horse, enough on this subject, lets talk about the upcoming games. Any input on Hingham? How about explaining the Woburn/Watertown game, did the W/M goalie show up, How about EK, was she still in ct? Gotta be something behind the scene! Bob
    Posted by suburbanbob[/QUOTE]

I was at the Wob/Watertown game~~Woburn's Harron did a top-notch job of shutting down Kelly and once she did that she shut the whole team down....they did NOTHING all game!!  I don't think they had 10 shots on net!!!  And of the shots they had none were of any quality to be put in.....very easy night for the Woburn goalie.....Watertown on the other hand went through all of their goalies....none of them were impressive at all~~I want to know how they beat Stoneham 4-0???  Reading lost to them but they had a terrible game~~no one showed up to play until the 3rd period and it was too late.....will be a much better game second time around as they start to find their offense...they have a very young team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Don't tell St Mary's that, this season I have seen them going to a game with 13 skaters and 2 goalies.  Do not  quite know why they do that unless they only have those 15 players???
    Posted by Garmin[/QUOTE]
    Garmin, I'm going to bite my tougue on that comment,I will only say that its not even a close comparison when towns/programs are just trying to survive.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from suburbanbob. Show suburbanbob's posts

[QUOTE]Hingham played in the SEMGHL till the end of the 2008 season when they wone the Div 2 title.  The Coach felt that the Hingham boys model of going independant was the best way to prepare his own girls team to play at their highest level.  At the same time Hingham petioned to play up in Division 1 for the same reason.  Giving the team a challenge of playing at the highest level has done wonders for the program.  Give Coach TF credit - he goes out and schedules the best opponents he can find without league rules restricting him. Two years as a Div 1 Independant and 2 Div 1 semi-final appearances has been great for the team.
    Posted by Onrust[/QUOTE]

I gotta tell you Onrust, the Harborwomen are by far the best team I've seen so far this season(yes, better than SMH, AC and Lex). They are big, physical and fast!
    Good luck to those in their path,

Bob

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Middlesextoday. Show Middlesextoday's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Hey Sportsdad23~~do you have a player on Woburn or are you just an avid fan?
    Posted by Katprowl17[/QUOTE]
    His posts sure read that way, I bet if you if you grab a roster he probaly has his daughters number hacked into his screen name ( or maybe it is a number that is around his daughters number.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LARRY1990. Show LARRY1990's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : I gotta tell you Onrust, the Harborwomen are by far the best team I've seen so far this season(yes, better than SMH, AC and Lex). They are big, physical and fast! Good luck to those in their path, Bob
    Posted by suburbanbob[/QUOTE]
    Amen to that..Another shot at the streak coming up.. Will it finally end? Stay tuned!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : His posts sure read that way, I bet if you if you grab a roster he probaly has his daughters number hacked into his screen name ( or maybe it is a number that is around his daughters number.
    Posted by Middlesextoday[/QUOTE]

I am a Dad who has spent way to much money on this sport compared to the other team sports in town, and the 23rd letter of the alphabet is "W". I am a Woburn fan, and expect the team to go far again this season.

If the girls are not healthy and are down a couple players, games like Lexington can happen, when the team is healthy and ready to play then Watertown/Melrose results can happen.

One quarter of the season is complete, and Woburn plays Lexington again at the half way point; let’s stay healthy and see what the results are for game 10. SMH, Arlington, and AB are all on the schedule for the home stretch.

Mom, good luck with Dedham tomorrow!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Thanks Dad, we're going to need it.  Down another forward, done for the season, so yet another Dman moved up to the front. The once strongest part of this team this year has now been officially dismantled and has only 2 returning dmen left playing defense.   <gulp>

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeydad. Show ghockeydad's posts

1st time posting but I've been following the forum for awhile now.  A very big game on tap tonight pitting Norwood against Braintree at 4pm.  Norwood is currently undefeated and appears to be a legitimate favorate for the Bay State Herget title and is well stocked for a run at the Div 2 title.  They have very solid goaltending, a 1st line that can really score, and a quality defensive corps.  Braintree has not played up as well as I had thought they would, dropping games to Walpole, Milton and a tie with Barnstable.  It appears they are in a funk after they tied St. Mary's.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Light. Show Red-Light's posts

Saturday may be the first time in more than 3 years tha St Mary's may not be the favorite in a game when they Host Hingham.  I hope Hingham dosen't look past Duxbury, and if they keep their emotions under control they MAY have the upset ability on Saturday Night.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from magellann. Show magellann's posts

[QUOTE]Saturday may be the first time in more than 3 years tha St Mary's may not be the favorite in a game when they Host Hingham.  I hope Hingham dosen't look past Duxbury, and if they keep their emotions under control they MAY have the upset ability on Saturday Night.
    Posted by Red-Light[/QUOTE]

I agree, Hingham, may be the team to beat.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLYERSFAN13211. Show FLYERSFAN13211's posts

HOCKEYMOMSRULE- stop going on to this site and talking bad about the Framingham Flyers. If you dont have anything nice to say, do us all a favor and dont write anything at all. Not only are you putting your daughter at risk of getting yelled at for your negative comments but your bringing down the moral of the team. The team is already at a rough start, they do not need you to come on to this discussion board and talk bad about the team. You talk bad about everyones kid except for yours. Theres a saying....it goes "People in glass houses dont through stones"..think about that before you try and talk bad about the framingham flyers. THANKS!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Katprowl17. Show Katprowl17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : I am a Dad who has spent way to much money on this sport compared to the other team sports in town, and the 23rd letter of the alphabet is "W". I am a Woburn fan, and expect the team to go far again this season. If the girls are not healthy and are down a couple players, games like Lexington can happen, when the team is healthy and ready to play then Watertown/Melrose results can happen.   One quarter of the season is complete, and Woburn plays Lexington again at the half way point; let’s stay healthy and see what the results are for game 10. SMH, Arlington, and AB are all on the schedule for the home stretch. Mom, good luck with Dedham tomorrow!
    Posted by Sportsdad23[/QUOTE]

I was hoping that I knew you as I am a born and rasied girl from Woburn and know many of the girls on the team and was just hoping that I found a hockey friend ;-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeydad. Show ghockeydad's posts

anyone out there have an update from the Braintree Norwood game? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from peaceonearth. Show peaceonearth's posts

[QUOTE]anyone out there have an update from the Braintree Norwood game? 
    Posted by ghockeydad[/QUOTE]

Norwood won 3-1

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

[QUOTE]HOCKEYMOMSRULE- stop going on to this site and talking bad about the Framingham Flyers. If you dont have anything nice to say, do us all a favor and dont write anything at all. Not only are you putting your daughter at risk of getting yelled at for your negative comments but your bringing down the moral of the team. The team is already at a rough start, they do not need you to come on to this discussion board and talk bad about the team. You talk bad about everyones kid except for yours. Theres a saying....it goes "People in glass houses dont through stones"..think about that before you try and talk bad about the framingham flyers. THANKS!!
    Posted by FLYERSFAN13211[/QUOTE]

FLYERSFAN13211,  I do not think that Hockeymom is being negative.  I feel she is being realistic.  She has some "system's" issues with the coaches, that's not a problem.  As far as I know she hasn't tried to pull a Barnstable and get the coaches fired.  There team has been destroyed by injury and illness.  Their D, which was a strong point has had to have some changes or the won't score a goal the rest of the way.  There only two lines are okay.  There first line with the addition of their D senior should help spark some O.  On the second line, they have a speedy center who I think was also a D last year.  I am not sure what the coaches can do to rectify the issues, they only have so many quality skaters.  From what I saw in the Natick game it appears they have changed there forecheck and D zone to compensate for their injuries and illnesses.  This is a make or break week for them as they need no less than 4 points to have any chance of making the post season.

As far as Hockeymom's so called negative posts hurting her daughter, that's BS.  One, do you think coaches read the post boards?  Why would they, these people have jobs, families and coaching - would they have time.  Two, if the coaches read the boards why are they going to hold the kid responsible.  Three, parents always think its greener on the other side, I think coaches take the comments with a grain of salt.

I think Hockeymom doesn't comment on the players except citing the JV is a learn to skate which it is.  The coaches try to recruit fall and spring athletesto come out for hockey.  In the past they have had some success with this.  There backup goalie who played in there tourney game 2 season's ago starting playing net her freshman yr, by her senior yr she was splitting time.  They also had a D from that same year.  I believe they may have graduated 1 last year as well.

Good luck with Dedham.  How bad does the Carey look so far, Framingham still has a chance to win it and would be in first place with a win tomorrow night.  Any team in the Herget could go to the D2 finals this year.