EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011:
    SMH was flat to say the least last night. It didn't seem like they could get anything done. I wonder if they were looking to the Hingham game early. Most of you will disagree, but I feel bad for these girls. I know, I know, three consecutive titles how can you feel bad; but with the pressure, I can imagine it would help take the fun out of the game. There is no room for error. They get everyone's best game. But, they don't always bring theirs. Their play seems to be inconsistent this year. Lets get a new team on top. Let the best team be there whether it be Hingham, Dux, SMH, etc. Everyone is talking about the streak and who will end it for them. There has been such a stong outside influence on this streak and these young girls get the backlash of it. They are a different team. They want their own identity and people to see the positive things they do. They do not be held captive by a streak that started long before many of them got there. Only one of the 13 girls on the team was actually around to see this streak start. SMH more than anyone would like to see the streak end. It will help take off some pressure off the girls and let them breathe for a minute. They are working hard and are in the same fight as any other team. Maybe a loss would be good for them.
    Posted by spj8

I totally agree with your assessment of SMH's performance last night. But lets not sell Notre Dame short, they did an excellent job of controlling the puck and blocking shots. They simply outworked SMH.

I kind of agree and disagree with the rest of your post. I do not feel bad for these girls, I can sympathize with the position they are in but they have experienced a lot of good times, they will need to see the other side of the coin too. True, they will be sad when the streak ends but their ultimate goal is the state title. Anything can happen between now and March.

Their more immediate goal should be to shake off the last game and get ready for Hingham, you know Hingham will be ready for them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from metrofan. Show metrofan's posts

SMH was flat to say the least last night. It didn't seem like they could get anything done. I wonder if they were looking to the Hingham game early. Most of you will disagree, but I feel bad for these girls. I know, I know, three consecutive titles how can you feel bad; but with the pressure, I can imagine it would help take the fun out of the game. There is no room for error. They get everyone's best game. But, they don't always bring theirs. Their play seems to be inconsistent this year. Lets get a new team on top. Let the best team be there whether it be Hingham, Dux, SMH, etc. Everyone is talking about the streak and who will end it for them. There has been such a stong outside influence on this streak and these young girls get the backlash of it. They are a different team. They want their own identity and people to see the positive things they do. They do not be held captive by a streak that started long before many of them got there. Only one of the 13 girls on the team was actually around to see this streak start. SMH more than anyone would like to see the streak end. It will help take off some pressure off the girls and let them breathe for a minute. They are working hard and are in the same fight as any other team. Maybe a loss would be good for them.
    Posted by spj8

I am sure the SM girls are under pressure but to say they would like to see the streak end? not so sure. Could very well be that they were looking past NDA and taking on harborwomen. Should be great game in front of packed house, both teams will be tight checking afraid to open it up. 2-1 either way. Great hockey in Beantown.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from endofroad. Show endofroad's posts

Posted by spj8

Although I'm sure there is some pressure on the girls their coach has done a great job taking it one game at a time. I know the work ethic he insists his players paly with is second to none. When he says he could care less about the streak I believe he means it. If he has that attitude it rubs off on the players. It's the best approach to keep the pressure off the girls. They have done a tremendous job handling the pressure. They have the toughest schedule in the state for a reason....not to feed into the streak but to help them grow as players and as a team. Anyone can look at the schedule and see that they could not make it through this year undefeated. They play every tough team in the state...some twice. That being said they still could finish the year undefeated. Either way the team got better by playing the best teams in the state. It's all about the GARDEN.

...Did I mention that I don't have a kid on the team? Well I don't.

I'm one of the parents that will be rooting for them Saturday night...one of not many according to this blog. I want them to be undefeated when my daughter's team plays them.

So Spartans!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from g18. Show g18's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Although I'm sure there is some pressure on the girls their coach has done a great job taking it one game at a time. I know the work ethic he insists his players paly with is second to none. When he says he could care less about the streak I believe he means it. If he has that attitude it rubs off on the players. It's the best approach to keep the pressure off the girls. They have done a tremendous job handling the pressure. They have the toughest schedule in the state for a reason....not to feed into the streak but to help them grow as players and as a team. Anyone can look at the schedule and see that they could not make it through this year undefeated. They play every tough team in the state...some twice. That being said they still could finish the year undefeated. Either way the team got better by playing the best teams in the state. It's all about the GARDEN. ...Did I mention that I don't have a kid on the team? Well I don't. I'm one of the parents that will be rooting for them Saturday night...one of not many according to this blog. I want them to be undefeated when my daughter's team plays them. So Spartans!!!  
    Posted by endofroad
    Of course your not one of their parents. so many excuses why they tie teams. what happened when they tied braintree? were they looking ahead to what santa was bringing them. give some credit to those teams that can play on the same level as them

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from endofroad. Show endofroad's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Of course your not one of their parents. so many excuses why they tie teams. what happened when they tied braintree? were they looking ahead to what santa was bringing them. give some credit to those teams that can play on the same level as them
    Posted by g18

Where in the post did I state that they looked past anyone? I stated that they take one game at a time. Are you seeing things? Where did it state anything about ties?
    Who says anything about not giving credit besides you? They deserve all the credit in the world.

Try to comprehend the words people write so you can be taken seriously. 

Still not a kid on the team...go back and check. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from endofroad. Show endofroad's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Of course your not one of their parents. so many excuses why they tie teams. what happened when they tied braintree? were they looking ahead to what santa was bringing them. give some credit to those teams that can play on the same level as them
    Posted by g18

And I forgot to tell you...Santa isn't real.

Sorry if that ruins next Christmas for you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Downtown11. Show Downtown11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : I totally agree with your assessment of SMH's performance last night. But lets not sell Notre Dame short, they did an excellent job of controlling the puck and blocking shots. They simply outworked SMH. I kind of agree and disagree with the rest of your post. I do not feel bad for these girls, I can sympathize with the position they are in but they have experienced a lot of good times, they will need to see the other side of the coin too. True, they will be sad when the streak ends but their ultimate goal is the state title. Anything can happen between now and March. Their more immediate goal should be to shake off the last game and get ready for Hingham, you know Hingham will be ready for them.
    Posted by ghockeyfan[/QUOTE
    i think 4 of the 13 girls were around when the streak started. what a run its been. wow. i'll be rooting for a tie tomorrow night so the streak will go on. i feel terrible for these girls that they are such big underdogs tomorrow night against larrys team but somehow i feel they can keep the streak alive.. go dandro all the twins sabs etc..u can do it...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

G18, endofroad-Gotta like hockey parents, always ready to drop the gloves.
    Brings me to a question, who's the worse or the most intense crowd/parents this year. I haven't seen any that stand out, everyones been kind of quiet!
    AC's always tops, just to throw someone out there, HockeyMom how about Framingham, they were pretty intense over the fall?

WT

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cager. Show cager's posts

Some random thoughts;

Yes, some great games today.  Hope snow doesn't get in the way.

We all hope that players will play their best every game.  But, that just doesn't happen.  How often this is a factor in games, for some teams, is more important than their level of skill.

The RPI Rankings has no value until the season is completed.  The Staff Opinion Poll is just that, opinions.   IMHO, the current Opinion poll posted is much closer than the RPI.  There are very good teams, that were ranked below #9 in both.

IF I need to pick a top four today, Duxbury, Norwood, Wellesley, and Fontbonne in D2.   SML, Hingham, Woburn, ??? in D1. 

The debate here on waivers continues.  Those in favor appear to base decision on the competitive issue.  Again, one needs to consider the social/development of that middle school player.  The individual student athlete and their educational and mental development is the important item.  Not, a few more wins.

BTW, happened to run accross Framingham JV this week, 25 skaters on the team.

Some pats on the back due for some of the much improved teams.  I've seen Natick, Archies and Newton North.   Here's hoping they both make the tournament for the first time in a few years !

If you see him, Say hello to Joe Burke, Girls Hockey #1 Fan !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

Here is what I think about today:

Weymouth upsets North
    Belmont beats Stoneham
    Lynn beats Medford
    Norwood beats Dedham
    Framingham beats Needham
    Winchester beats Watertown
    Milton beats Natick
    Arlington betas AB
    Mary's beats Hingham - best team in state until someone proves otherwise
    Walpole runs it up on Wellesley
    Woburn over Reading
    LS beats Shrewsbury today and undefeated Medfield tomorrow

Possible upset alert Marshfield ties Duxbury

I don't feel Archies and North have improved, Natick is way way up thanks to their freshman class.

Framingham's 25 JV skaters is a true testament to the varsity girls, coaches and "assistant"  AD recruiting female athletes to come out for hockey.  Anyone who has seen them play sees that this a learn to skate program.  But I give them credit because I've seen in prior years girls start out as freshman with no expercince and play JV, go to camps and then play varsity as junruors or seniors.  I guess I would advice Framingham to scrap their JV program and then no one would make a stink if they wanted a waiver like other large population highschools.

Is it time for the MIAA to combine D1 and D2 for the tourney?  Create a D1AA tourney for the best team or 2 in D2 and the top 6 in D1?  Maybe, maybe not, the D2 toruney is going to be great this year.  The field appears very very deep.

Well, off to shopping and then preparing for the trek to Lynn to see what should be a great game.  Have a nice weekend.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from magellann. Show magellann's posts

SMH 2     Hingham 0   (eng)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from peaceonearth. Show peaceonearth's posts

Walpole defeats Wellesley 3-2.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

Woburn 5 Reading 0

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeydad. Show ghockeydad's posts

Some random thoughts; Yes, some great games today.  Hope snow doesn't get in the way. We all hope that players will play their best every game.  But, that just doesn't happen.  How often this is a factor in games, for some teams, is more important than their level of skill. The RPI Rankings has no value until the season is completed.  The Staff Opinion Poll is just that, opinions.   IMHO, the current Opinion poll posted is much closer than the RPI.  There are very good teams, that were ranked below #9 in both.  IF I need to pick a top four today, Duxbury, Norwood, Wellesley, and Fontbonne in D2.   SML, Hingham, Woburn, ??? in D1.  The debate here on waivers continues.  Those in favor appear to base decision on the competitive issue.  Again, one needs to consider the social/development of that middle school player.  The individual student athlete and their educational and mental development is the important item.  Not, a few more wins. BTW, happened to run accross Framingham JV this week, 25 skaters on the team. Some pats on the back due for some of the much improved teams.  I've seen Natick, Archies and Newton North.   Here's hoping they both make the tournament for the first time in a few years ! If you see him, Say hello to Joe Burke, Girls Hockey #1 Fan !!!
    Posted by cager

You might need to rethink the D2 rankings.  Smile

Walpole carried the play through the 1st 2 periods until their best player went down with under a minute to play in the 2nd.  Wellesley stormed back bringing the score to 3-2 with 5 minutes.  Walpole hung on for the win.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

WT - we still have a couple pretty intense ones but they're usually the most loud when their own kid makes a mistake or something along those lines.  I'm usually away from most of that though, tend to prefer to watch from the end of the rink, it's safer there.  ha ha

Framingham 1 Needham 0

Good game by the Flyer ladies, nice puck control, good solid time in the offensive zone with puck possession, good penalty kills and an improving power play. Still some missed opportunities to put the puck in the net, but the transition to getting there and getting the shots on was definitely improved.  Lots of different looks in some situations last night, most creative I've seen them get, was good to see them trying different things and changing it up throughout the game.

Good - you've nailed it exactly on the JV thing.  That won't happen though and I don't think anyone would like to see that happen either.  It's a catch 22 for the varsity team.  Those are girls who have never put skates or equipment on until their freshman years and had the guts to go out there and do it anyways.  Some have realized they love it and wish they had listened to some of their friends on the varsity team and started years ago.  Those are the ones that I'm sure we'll see up on varsity by their Sr. years, if not sooner. Who would want to take away an opportunity to play something that someone would probably never otherwise get to play? Not me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from peaceonearth. Show peaceonearth's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : You might need to rethink the D2 rankings.   Walpole carried the play through the 1st 2 periods until their best player went down with under a minute to play in the 2nd.  Wellesley stormed back bringing the score to 3-2 with 5 minutes.  Walpole hung on for the win.
    Posted by ghockeydad

Score not indicative of the game.  Walpole dominated.  Coach almost lost the game for them by putting top defender up at forward when top forward went down. Walpoles defense is strong - don't mess with what works!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mm3766. Show mm3766's posts

This waiver rule for 7th and 8th graders is dumb. Most towns probably have a seventh or eighth grader that can help their team but only some get a waiver. I don't see this happening in other sports. My feeling is that you should have to be in the ninth grade to play high school sports. This even goes for the schools that are allowed because their middle school is part of their high school. Ninth graders and up , no questions asked, the same playing field for everyone and if you can't field a team you don,t field a team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Katprowl17. Show Katprowl17's posts

Posted by spj8

How do you feel bad for kids that choose to go to this school....it is not a public school where these girls have no choice....they PICK to go to that school to play hockey!!!  They choose to be put in that situation.....if you want to feel bad for anyone feel bad for the public schools that do not have this same opportunity and have to face this powerhouse....I am rooting for ANY public team to knock them off the top and preferably at the Garden ~~ GO PUBLICS!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from magellann. Show magellann's posts

Congratulations to St. Mary's Girls.  Saw the game last night with Hingham and was very proud of the girls.  My daughter graduated last year and SMH has held their own this year.  They lost a lot of points with the graduation of seniors and I am very impressed with the team, especially with the goalie.  As for the pressure on this team, do not worry.  They practice hard every single day just like every other team does and they lace their skates the same way every other player does.

The streak is not important, improvement, friendship and the final goal is at the Garden.  Good luck to SMH players this year - we are rooting for you!  SMH Alumni Parents #9

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaRocket. Show DaRocket's posts

Final        Austin Prep 2    Fontbonne 2  

Second tie between these two,

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hcky2. Show hcky2's posts

Both games between these two teams were very tough and physical.  Fontbonne has the edge, however Austin Prep's 12 yr. old goalie is outstanding-she played in both games, and came up big against Fontbonne's best scorers.  There was an article about AP's goalie a few weeks back in the Globe's sports section-she is something to see.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaRocket. Show DaRocket's posts

I think the article you are referring to was about a 12 year old goalie from
    Acton-Boxboro, not Austin, AB not AP.  Correct me if there is an article I missed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hcky2. Show hcky2's posts

Da Rocket-you are right, my bad.  AB's goalie is excellent.  The AP goalie played very well-she's got a great glove.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wobky. Show wobky's posts

[QUOTE]OK The Boston Globe should stay out of the top 20 business, I mean have a clue http://www.boston.com/partners/globesports/schools/201011/rankings/59.html
    Posted by Change-Up[/QUOTE

They have updated this week's rankings, don't get it either? Just an opinion I guess. Masshockey's rankings looks more accurate to me but still just my opinion.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from suburbanbob. Show suburbanbob's posts

I am new to this page, as my yougest daughter(9) has decided to play hockey and now attends the Winthrop/Lynn/Revere games religiously. How is it that this team is not ranked in the top 20? They have beaten at least 2 of the teams that are ranked in there. 
    Posted by cford19

I see Winthrop/Lynn ranked as number 3 in masshshockey,which doesn't make sense. Not saying they shouldn't be in the top twenty but I doubt they are #3. I think that Boston globe and the Masshshockey rankings are questionable except for a select few, Woburn, SMH, Duxbury, Hingham and Lexington,also AC was dropped way down. This years surprises I think are still Billerica, Watertown/Melrose.

Bob

Sections
Shortcuts