EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfan78. Show hockeyfan78's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011:
    [QUOTE]On the masshshockey.com tournament Bracket Maker leader board currently: D1 SMH - 13 Woburn - 8 Hingham - 1 Lexington - 1 D2 Duxbury - 13 Norwood - 2 Fontbonne Academy - 2 Canton - 1 Winchester - 1 23 D1, and 18 D2 bracket selections....lets get some more in before the first puck drops tomorrow night! Good luck all!
    Posted by Sportsdad23[/QUOTE]

Duxbury getting a lot of love for three quality wins all year

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

Are there any possible Preliminary round upsets???  I don't really call either D1 or D2 17 seeds winning an upset as I think most would think Winchester and Shrewsbury should win.
    LS (19) over Franklin (14) maybe

What is the most intriguing D1 preliminary game?
    Framingham (23) @ Watertown (10)
    Chelmsford (22) @ Billerica (11)
    Could either high seed win?

Tough coin flip for Medford.  First you get Hingham and them if you win you get Mary's.  Yikes.

Things look like they may be breaking for a deep Braintree run.  They get Medway instead of AB in 1st round.  The winner of Lynn - Arlington will be a good back but they Braintree can definitely play with both teams.

All the Middlesex teams in the same bracket, bet Lexington is pumped about the possibility of having to play Watertown and Woburn again.  That is a tough run to the semi's.

On the D2 side, congratulation Norwood, you won a possible rematch with Winchester (6-5L), would not want to play Winchester - tourney tested.

Wellesley - Canton should be a great game.

Can Ursuline beat Medfield??

Good Luck to all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GMath. Show GMath's posts

Just heard Canton beat Wellesley 6-4.  Back and forth game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Natick over Archies in OT game. Sounds like a great one. Great job Natick, so happy for you girls!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeydad. Show ghockeydad's posts

can anyone provide a recap on the Canton and Natick wins?  Nice job by both teams.  So far I'm 1 - 0.  What a great story for Natick from zero to hero in one season.  Nothing against Duxbury but I would love to see Natick keep rolling.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Matty+Ice. Show Matty+Ice's posts

Senior forward Olivia Leon scored the game-winning goal in overtime and senior center Kate Reilly recorded a hat trick to lift 15th-seeded Natick to a thrilling 5-4 victory over No. 18 Archbishop Williams in a Division 2 preliminary-round girls hockey matchup last night in Randolph.

Leon capitalized on an Archbishop Williams turnover in overtime, gaining the puck off a mishandled possession to net the winning goal five minutes into the 12-minute OT stanza. All three of Reilly's goals were assisted by Leon and freshman center Amanda McGoldrick scored once for the Red and Blue (10-8-2).

Freshman goalie Hayley O'Loughlin was outstanding for the Red and Blue, recording 31 saves in the back-and-forth game.

Natick travels to Kingston tomorrow for a first-round matchup with second-seeded Duxbury at 4:20 p.m.

CANTON 6, WELLESLEY 4: Sophomore center Molly Connolly scored four goals for Wellesley, but the seventh-seeded Raiders fell to No. 10 Canton in a Division 2 first-round matchup.

Sophomore forward Ellie DeCaprio tallied three assists for the Raiders, who finish their season with an overall record of 13-7-1.

Read more: Hockey: Natick scores win in overtime - Natick, Massachusetts - Natick Bulletin and Tab http://www.wickedlocal.com/natick/archive/x1923550872/Hockey-Natick-scores-win-in-overtime#ixzz1FM0zmWnm

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from flyerhockeyman. Show flyerhockeyman's posts

For the record Watertown/Melrose has two solid goaltenders and a lot more than EK.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

[QUOTE]For the record Watertown/Melrose has two solid goaltenders and a lot more than EK.
    Posted by flyerhockeyman[/QUOTE]

Good thing for Framingham you can only play against one goalie at a time.  Imagine the struggling Flyer's offense trying to score against 2 goalies in the same net.

This is a quote from Watertown's coach:
    "Our top line had seven points in this game and they have five of our first seven goals," Russo said. "Right now I would say you may be able to compare them to some of the better lines around the Middlesex League."

That being said and personal witnessing EK beat Belmont and tie Medford, I would say if she only has 1 or 2 points in the game the Flyers have a chance.  Alot of Giordano's points have been off EK shots or passes.  Limit what EK can do, have the rest of the team beat you.

But I know the counter point to that...If it were that easy everyone would do it.  EK is a GREAT player and the Flyers will have their hands full.

Good luck to both teams.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from penaltybox. Show penaltybox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Good thing for Framingham you can only play against one goalie at a time.  Imagine the struggling Flyer's offense trying to score against 2 goalies in the same net. This is a quote from Watertown's coach: "Our top line had seven points in this game and they have five of our first seven goals," Russo said. "Right now I would say you may be able to compare them to some of the better lines around the Middlesex League." That being said and personal witnessing EK beat Belmont and tie Medford, I would say if she only has 1 or 2 points in the game the Flyers have a chance.  Alot of Giordano's points have been off EK shots or passes.  Limit what EK can do, have the rest of the team beat you. But I know the counter point to that...If it were that easy everyone would do it.  EK is a GREAT player and the Flyers will have their hands full. Good luck to both teams.
    Posted by goodtime19[/QUOTE]

Oh I think you are underestimating W/M, no question EK is probably one of the best players in the state, however they also have a number of players that can put the puck in the net ... hat tricks from 5 different players and a number of players with over 20 points.  With regard to LG... a points leader in the league and overall...  such an underrated player and of course her points would come from either passes/shots from EK... they are on the same line and PP.  

Let the games begin...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Oh I think you are underestimating W/M, no question EK is probably one of the best players in the state, however they also have a number of players that can put the puck in the net ... hat tricks from 5 different players and a number of players with over 20 points.  With regard to LG... a points leader in the league and overall...  such an underrated player and of course her points would come from either passes/shots from EK... they are on the same line and PP.   Let the games begin...
    Posted by penaltybox[/QUOTE]

You are right, I was probably underestimating Watertown.  They only have 3 loses and they were against Woburn and Lexington.  I was unaware of how much point production they have had from other players.  But looking back on the goalie's hat trick v Brookline and their goal scorers against Burlington and Wakefield your point is spot on.  As for LG, I was referring top her ability to create offense on her own.  Similar to EK's end to end PP goal in the second period of the second Belmont game.  LG is a good player, I just haven't seen her create her own offense.  She is great at distributing the puck in the offensive zone and finishing on scoring opportunities.

Framingham is a heavy underdog and I would put Lexington as a slight favorite in their game on Saturday.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from penaltybox. Show penaltybox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : You are right, I was probably underestimating Watertown.  They only have 3 loses and they were against Woburn and Lexington.  I was unaware of how much point production they have had from other players.  But looking back on the goalie's hat trick v Brookline and their goal scorers against Burlington and Wakefield your point is spot on.  As for LG, I was referring top her ability to create offense on her own.  Similar to EK's end to end PP goal in the second period of the second Belmont game.  LG is a good player, I just haven't seen her create her own offense.  She is great at distributing the puck in the offensive zone and finishing on scoring opportunities. Framingham is a heavy underdog and I would put Lexington as a slight favorite in their game on Saturday.
    Posted by goodtime19[/QUOTE]

As usual.. you are full of facts and very insightful... you did however leave out  the Hat Trick in the Lexington game from the Freshman on the second line.  Won't need to turn the heat on in the rink on Wed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeydad. Show ghockeydad's posts

how did Winchester look tonight?  Will someone post a summary? thanks

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilledhockeydad. Show Chilledhockeydad's posts

Winchester looked great for the final two minutes of regulation, and in the shoot out. The rest of the game was a hard working affair by both teams, with lots of back and forth.  The refs were far too quick with the whistle all evening.  Any time a player fell down, the nearest opposing player went to the box.  At least the penalties were distributed evenly.
    0 - 0 after 1
    2 - 0 Belmont after 2.  Belmont put in a rebound early in the period, then got a power play goal.
    In the third, Belmont called for a penalty with 2 minutes remaining.  Winchester pulled the goalie and scored 20 seconds later.  After the face off, Winchester pulled the goalie again and scored in the closing seconds of the game. 
    Overtime was back and forth, with both teams coming close to ending it. 
    Shootout was clearly to Winchester's advantage, winning it 3 to 0.  Winchester's goalie was just terrific in the shootout. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

Sometimes there is more than just hockey games.  From Masshshockey.com

Our condolences go out to the Arlington hockey Family.

The Arlington-Barnstable Girls game Wednesday night has been moved to Thursday at 6:00pm, still at the Ed Burns Arena in Arlington, due to the passing of Darren McKenzie, the Father of AHS player Kristen, he was also the announcer at all the AHS home games for the last several years. Our prayers and thoughts go out to the McKenzie family and to the Arlington hockey family.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from suburbanbob. Show suburbanbob's posts

Thanks Icing, its a sad day in Arlington, especially when we lose someone so close and so dedicated to the sport.  DM will be surely missed, but I know we'll hear his voice echoing down at the rink when its game time. I will say one thing though, the girls have used the ice to ease their pain, so hockey has been a big part of the comforting process.
     I do see games being played so hopefully folks pick up the discussions and put a little light on a dark day.

Bob

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

i guess I'll start,
    looked like a football game out in Billerica 8-6 over Chelmsford.

Hockeymom,W/M 1-Fram 0, sorry about the loss but at least you kept it respectable, the girls should be proud.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

As a parent of an AC Grad Darren's voice over the PA system always brings back memories such as my daughters first goal in her first game, this being the MC when they unveiled the State Championship banner and the announcement of her last goal.  I know in addition to the AHS I am sure the AC Community is very saddened.  I wish the SpyPonders good luck with a very difficult week ahead.  They have a great leader in Coach Mead.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

Looks like things are playing out according to seed.  Just 1 upset #6 Mt/Matignon losing in ot to #11 CC.  I am kind of waiting fro the Medford @ Hingham game.  Kind of think HHS will win big in this one.  The Medway vs Braintree game also has my eye as Medway has played a rather weak schedule while Braintree had played a much tougher schedule.  Like BHS in this one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

[QUOTE]i guess I'll start, looked like a football game out in Billerica 8-6 over Chelmsford. Hockeymom,W/M 1-Fram 0, sorry about the loss but at least you kept it respectable, the girls should be proud.
    Posted by wtcash[/QUOTE]

Thanks wtcash. Freshman goalie had an outstanding game.We were flat the first half of the first period, and it was costly.  Oh well, they exceeded just about everyone's expectations I think so I hope they are all proud of what they did manage to accomplish this season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Matty+Ice. Show Matty+Ice's posts

Walpole 5 Stoneham 3.
    Walpole had just a little too much for Stoneham.  Walpole's 1st line was just a little better the DP and crew.
    Huge goal by #19 of Walpole at the very end of the 2nd period to tie game at 3.
    Stoneham a little chippy, but since the refs were allowing it it helped them quite a bit.  Good quality win.  The Stoneham team was a lot better than their record would indicate.

A lot of the girls on the Walpole High hockey team were hoping for a chance of payback after being knocked out of the state tourney by Fontbonne Academy last year.
       Now, they may get it.
       Of course it’s all up to the Fontbonne Ducks now, as they are slated to play Whitman-Hanson at the Shea Rink Thursday in their 4:00 quarterfinal match-up.
       The Rebels did their part tonight when they knocked off visiting Stoneham, 5-3, at the Iorio Arena.
    A very physical game found trainer Mike Belanger and his staff working overtime, the Rebels and their coaches hoping to avoid overtime, and to some people the officials only working sometime.
       “We started out with one defenseman out, as Vitty Petrillo was sick,” said Coach Joe Verderber. “Then three minutes in Kelsey hurt her knee, and later Delaney hurts her hand. But the kids didn’t quit. They kept coming back.”
       A pitched battle had Stoneham captain Robyn Pacini playing a superb game in front of goalie Jillian Harrington, and Danielle Phalon literally giving 100 percent to the very end.
       After Rachel McMillan gave the Rebels a 1-0 lead 5:55 in with a power play goal, the Spartans roared back with scores by Sam Giordano and Lynn Kozlowski to take a 2-1 lead into the middle stanza.
       Freshman Brooke Matherson tied it at two in the second period, but the Spartans reclaimed the lead with 2:16 left in the period on Alycia Whooley’s power play goal.
       Walpole took over at the end of the second and the third period, though. As time ticked down in the second, Matherson peeled the puck off the right wing boards and sent to into the crease, where Kelsey Cosby put it through Harrington’s 5-hole.
       Then Walpole took a 4-3 lead 42 seconds into the third when Cosby stick-handled the puck to the right post, beating Harrington with a backhander.
       Walpole fought off three tough power plays in the third led by Phalon, finally getting the insurance with 2:38 left when the Rebels won a face-off, Cosby cleared the puck out of the zone and Matherson carried the puck up left wing for a wrist shot.
       Cosby came close to netting a hat trick but was interfered with on a breakaway without a penalty shot or even a call, and although she was impeded, managed to hit the right post with a shot.
       Walpole’s next game is slated for Sunday, against the winner of Thursday’s Whitman-Hanson and Fontbonne bout. Both time and venue will be determined after the two play.

Read more: Walpole tops Stoneham, 5-3, moves on to girls' hockey semifinals - Walpole, MA - Wicked Local Walpole http://www.wickedlocal.com/walpole/archive/x868514485/Walpole-tops-Stoneham-5-3-moves-on-to-girls-hockey-semifinals#ixzz1FXkzfnTh

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from penaltybox. Show penaltybox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Thanks wtcash. Freshman goalie had an outstanding game.We were flat the first half of the first period, and it was costly.  Oh well, they exceeded just about everyone's expectations I think so I hope they are all proud of what they did manage to accomplish this season.
    Posted by Hockeymomsrule[/QUOTE]

Hockeymom - Framingham played a great game.  Kudos to the goalie and the rest of the team.  W/M just barely got it done. Had plenty of chances to put it away but Framingham's goalie and d were up to the task.  Being W/M's first playoff game ever don't think they knew what to expect.   W/M needs to get back to their game and move forward.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from metrofan. Show metrofan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Thanks wtcash. Freshman goalie had an outstanding game.We were flat the first half of the first period, and it was costly.  Oh well, they exceeded just about everyone's expectations I think so I hope they are all proud of what they did manage to accomplish this season.
    Posted by Hockeymomsrule[/QUOTE]

Great game by Framingham Goalie, first period I thought Fram. outplayed W/M had some chances but as most times this year puck never gets to the net. No real sense of offense they get into the zone but positoning is a problem. Slot player too high, and they just don't look for open player. 2nd and third period seemed to be the same goalie had to rescue the team from nuetral zone mistakes some real no so thought out penalties (nice way of saying Stup..) they could never generate any pressure on W/M defense. #22 for W/M certainly very entertaining great speed and hard shot. 2-3 breakaways that ended in her hitting the goalie in mid section, if she had finished this would not have been this close. Not sure how far W/M will go who knows. As far as Fram. they need to understand the basics of hockey, athletes are there and thats what got them to this point, puck handling and skating, crashing the net off wing and breaking puck out of zone. Like Bruins puck moving defenseman is certainly needed.      

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Thanks Penalty, was definately a nail biter for both sides. Ah well, time to get ready for club states, then back to the fields and sunshine. Hip hip hooray! :-)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Hear ya Metro, on all accounts. Time for the Young Guns to pick it up next season. Next years team will be even younger than this years, 2 Sr's, 3 Jr's, the rest all soph's and freshmen.  Gulp. Could be an eventful ride.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from peaceonearth. Show peaceonearth's posts

[QUOTE]Walpole 5 Stoneham 3. Walpole had just a little too much for Stoneham.  Walpole's 1st line was just a little better the DP and crew. Huge goal by #19 of Walpole at the very end of the 2nd period to tie game at 3. Stoneham a little chippy, but since the refs were allowing it it helped them quite a bit.  Good quality win.  The Stoneham team was a lot better than their record would indicate. WALPOLE —    A lot of the girls on the Walpole High hockey team were hoping for a chance of payback after being knocked out of the state tourney by Fontbonne Academy last year.    Now, they may get it.    Of course it’s all up to the Fontbonne Ducks now, as they are slated to play Whitman-Hanson at the Shea Rink Thursday in their 4:00 quarterfinal match-up.    The Rebels did their part tonight when they knocked off visiting Stoneham, 5-3, at the Iorio Arena. A very physical game found trainer Mike Belanger and his staff working overtime, the Rebels and their coaches hoping to avoid overtime, and to some people the officials only working sometime.    “We started out with one defenseman out, as Vitty Petrillo was sick,” said Coach Joe Verderber. “Then three minutes in Kelsey hurt her knee, and later Delaney hurts her hand. But the kids didn’t quit. They kept coming back.”    A pitched battle had Stoneham captain Robyn Pacini playing a superb game in front of goalie Jillian Harrington, and Danielle Phalon literally giving 100 percent to the very end.    After Rachel McMillan gave the Rebels a 1-0 lead 5:55 in with a power play goal, the Spartans roared back with scores by Sam Giordano and Lynn Kozlowski to take a 2-1 lead into the middle stanza.    Freshman Brooke Matherson tied it at two in the second period, but the Spartans reclaimed the lead with 2:16 left in the period on Alycia Whooley’s power play goal.    Walpole took over at the end of the second and the third period, though. As time ticked down in the second, Matherson peeled the puck off the right wing boards and sent to into the crease, where Kelsey Cosby put it through Harrington’s 5-hole.    Then Walpole took a 4-3 lead 42 seconds into the third when Cosby stick-handled the puck to the right post, beating Harrington with a backhander.    Walpole fought off three tough power plays in the third led by Phalon, finally getting the insurance with 2:38 left when the Rebels won a face-off, Cosby cleared the puck out of the zone and Matherson carried the puck up left wing for a wrist shot.    Cosby came close to netting a hat trick but was interfered with on a breakaway without a penalty shot or even a call, and although she was impeded, managed to hit the right post with a shot.    Walpole’s next game is slated for Sunday, against the winner of Thursday’s Whitman-Hanson and Fontbonne bout. Both time and venue will be determined after the two play. Read more: Walpole tops Stoneham, 5-3, moves on to girls' hockey semifinals - Walpole, MA - Wicked Local Walpole http://www.wickedlocal.com/walpole/archive/x868514485/Walpole-tops-Stoneham-5-3-moves-on-to-girls-hockey-semifinals#ixzz1FXkzfnTh
    Posted by Matty+Ice[/QUOTE]

Another feat of journalistic prowess- not!  Walpole actually moves on to the QUARTER FINALS. 

Sections
Shortcuts