EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paycheck4. Show Paycheck4's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011

in fact, if I can figure out how to snip out the jerks shift, I'll post it on utube and give out the link.....will make the parents proud.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from spj8. Show spj8's posts

Paycheck, I could agree with you more, EXCEPT you left something out. Near the end of the third period in the SMH zone, everyone was lining up for the faceoff. Shrewsbury #4 takes off her glove and starts waving her middle finger back and forth in the air to the group of SMH fans sitting in the stands. Ref doesn't say anything to her, coach watches the whole thing doesn't say anything to her. I would have pulled that kid right off the ice. Later she does it AGAIN at the other end of the ice to a group of SMH parents. Oh yes, did I forget to mention it was their ASSISTANT CAPTAIN? That is unacceptable. Great leadership and way to be a role model for the younger girls. No wonder the saints rolled through them. Very poor display, Shrewsbury. You should be embarrassed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from suburbanbob. Show suburbanbob's posts

Well, the Ponders are out, ran into a hot goalie, losing in a shoot out! actually she's one of the top goalies I've seen, kind of rubbed it in your face arrogant, but she can back it up!! hint to anyone thats up next, don't shoot at her glove side!
    Hate to this but she is the only reason W/L is where they are!

On another note, paycheck, when I first looked at your post I thought you were talking about W/L, between the players and parents...well I'm not going there, enough said!

Bob

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paycheck4. Show Paycheck4's posts

pretty sure i got that on tape 2.........

lets here the the yahoos defend this.........

in fact, I'm definetely going to get this stuff up on utube:  you wanna be a jerk, everyone is going to see it..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paycheck4. Show Paycheck4's posts

parents:  u wanna act like jerks 2.........your going to be on utube....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from suburbanbob. Show suburbanbob's posts

Wait until the AM when you have a clear head, I'd love to see it but I'm not sure it belongs on youtube. Don't stoop to there level is what I'm talking about,

Bob

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from penalty. Show penalty's posts

people,stop blaming the players.they dont start playing like that when they get to high school.shame on you parents,first of all who allow that nonsense.second,i would not want my kid associated with a coach who would allow such play.third,believe it or not i went to winthrop tonite to watch a great game.too bad some of the winthrop moms made fools of themselfs.two of the best goalies i have seen all year,good luck to the remainihg teams.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedixiepucks. Show thedixiepucks's posts

AB 3  Franklin 0
    Good game and Franklin definately has some talented players but they too had some out of control players who had to be sent to the locker room and couldnt shake hands at the end of the game,truly a shame to see

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from suburbanbob. Show suburbanbob's posts

Whats the saying when we were kids,

"SORE LOSERS"

Ya we lost, the girls sat and cried on each others shoulders. Same as everyone else that has a close knit team, its the last game with the seniors and so its a lot of emotion in the locker room. Mean while right next door,the Winthrop/Lynn girls were yelling "B**ch** you S**k". Why do this, you won, isn't it enough or did the game actually have no meaning to you.
    Very classy bunch of players out there, maybe too much salt in the air, or the breeze is too strong from deer island that its rotting the brain.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Geez Paycheck, the majority of that team graduated and moved on long ago. You're still holding a grudge on that game?  Don't you think it's time to move on?  

On a much happier note, congrats Woburn on their 5-0 win last night! Go Tanners, hpoe to see you in the Garden!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011:
    [QUOTE]Whats the saying when we were kids, "SORE LOSERS" Ya we lost, the girls sat and cried on each others shoulders. Same as everyone else that has a close knit team, its the last game with the seniors and so its a lot of emotion in the locker room. Mean while right next door,the Winthrop/Lynn girls were yelling "B**ch** you S**k". Why do this, you won, isn't it enough or did the game actually have no meaning to you. Very classy bunch of players out there, maybe too much salt in the air, or the breeze is too strong from deer island that its rotting the brain.
    Posted by suburbanbob[/QUOTE]

That's just so not cool :-(

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Katprowl17. Show Katprowl17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Nevermind, Billerica lost in OT 4-3. Any input on the games tomorrow night Lex. vs WM. Arl. vs WL....I know its kind of obvious with AB and SMH but there are miracles! Bob

Hey Bob
    I was at the Arl vs. WL last night as my daughter has a few friends that play on the WL team.  WHAT A GAME!!  Both sides played an intense physical game....actually the officials let this one get away from them and someone really could have gotten hurt.  It went into OT and then a shootout....the story of the game as the WL goalie....she was tremendous!!!  There are a few of the top teams I would love to see them play as they have a strong team and then the goalie puts them over the top.  I know they played St. Mary's early in the sesaon and lost but if she plays they way she did last night it is going to be tough for any team to beat them.....I know I will be going to more of their games!!!  Also went to the Woburn vs. Wesford Academy....that was not even an enjoyable game....not sure if their original goalie was out hurt or if this is their goalie...but here is a case of one of those teams that makes it in due to the fact that their conference is not that strong.  And they had one girl that was also conentrating on one of the Woburn top players and was hitting her off the play etc....again I have to agree with some of the converstaion her that some of these teams just cannot compete with some of the top level.  They should have a Super 8 format type tournament for the girls as it will only make it a better tournament for those teams that can compete with the top levels.  It its hard to see a Hingham or St. Mary's get knocked out this early in the tournament when you know they are a top team and one is out just because the bracket put them there because another team got a better seed.  then this will also give those middle of the road teams a chance in the tournaments as they deserve the chance just because they are not a strong as the SMH, Lex, Arl, Hingham, AB, Wob etc....there are also some really good teams in Div 2 that would give any of these Div 1 top teams a run for their money too.....so time for a restructer of the girls hockey as it has reached the level of competition that warrants it!!! 
    looking forward to more great hockey!!!  Good luck to all the teams that have advanced.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Katprowl17. Show Katprowl17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : That's just so not cool :-(
    Posted by Hockeymomsrule[/QUOTE]

Again I was at the game with my daughter just to watch and I can honestly say that both sides showed some pretty bad sportsmanship in the stands.  That is why I love the arenas where you have the stands on both sides of the ice and spectators are not sitting with each other they are seperated....makes it much more enjoyable!!  
    So what actually started it was when #11 from WL got tossed from the game due to over the penalty limit and the parents from Arl were cheering that she had to leave, meanwhile she got popped in the face from the Arl girl and she did not do anything back and she still got a penalty....I think the officals were afraid to give anyone an advantage at this point in the game.....but when she got tossed the Arl fans where cheering for her to leave and waving goodbye to her.....and you all know what I mean...and if this was anyones daughter you would have been upset with the display these parents showed towards her.....so then the WL parents were saying some stuff back to them for their display towards that girl a parent from Arl kissed her middle finger and put it up to the WL parents that were saying stuff to them.  And she didn't just do it once she kissed that finger a few times and kept doing it and one of the parents from WL was really upset and she went over to that parent and got in her face....again not a display that you would want from ANY parent....so just like on the ice as in the stands...there were things from both sides that I am sure today they are not proud of themselves....but it was both sides and it was a good game for the most part. 
    Yes that goalie is very cocky and the display that she puts on is a little over the top, as my daughter put it, and she said that she would irritate her but then in the same breath she said she can do it because she can back it up with her ability...she is very good!!! 
    So being the people in the stands that were just there to watch the game....we saw the whole picture from both sides not just one and both sides were wrong in this case.  In the end both teams played very hard and they both have good teams....Both teams had some very good players so it is not just their goalies that got them there....they can play. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from penaltybox. Show penaltybox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Good post. It has become apparent that there are many teams that have AD's that are doing these teams no service by scheduling easy games just to make a playoff run (you know who you are). What it does is create a field of really great, probably above average teams, and the remainder are easy targets for a 9-1 defeat.  Its really easy to say that one team has a "phenom" that scores 70 points a year, but when you play easy teams, girls like that are going to run up points. What happens when that girl faces Hinghahm, she is guarded by elite players that don't allow it to happen. Not to pick on Medford, or even the extremelly talented #11, (althouth Medford has earned the rep) but its clear that unless they step up their schedule they will never be prepared to take a shot at the title.  I also think this true for teams like Winthrop, or Melrose, or even Urseline and Archies (although some did have a few difficult games to face).  You can't tell me that those teams should be in a playoff run while teams with tougher schedules are sitting in the bleachers watching.  AD's have decided that the regular season means nothing and they get to put a notch in their belt and say "we made it to the playoffs so we were successful".  Not really, and everyone is onto them now.  And, by acknowledging girls that score high points during these easy schedules, we are doing no service to the future of the girls game as the numbers are so scewed we don't really know exactly what talents are available for US hockey in general. There needs to be a better way for girls and teams to have their talents "judged" so that we truly know who can advance the sport. Thats what we all want right??? This year in particuliar there are teams that struggled with difficult schedules who deserved a playoff bid (agreed with AC, AP and maybe Andover).  Having these teams not in the tournament, makes the early rounds silly.  And it also leaves things open for possible upsets.  Not that we don't love to see the underdog win, I love it too, but if girls hockey ever wants to be legit, we need to see legit teams, with tough schedules making it thru.  The upsets should be between solid, true and tested teams, not Medford taking on Hingham or even St. Mary's taking on Shrewsbury (will that be the upset of the century!). My rant here isn't meant to insult any one team, so apology to those who have hurt feelings. Its easy to judge Medford vs Hingham since hindsight is 20/20.  However, the point really is, what is happening to girls hockey in general as far as competition and advancement? We are making no gains by not breaking out the divisions and really getting "down and dirty" devising a better all around system that is fair and realistic and producing quality over quantity.  There are many ways to do it without eliminating the underdog possibilities, but it should be more realistic than just "get to 500 and your in", we need the whole picture.
    Posted by grules[/QUOTE]

Have to disagree with you adding Watertown/Melrose in the bunch.  Middlesex league is one of the all around toughest leagues in the mix.  Sending 6 teams to the playoffs is no slouch.  They made the playoffs with 8 games remaining in their schedule not by beating their non-league opponents.  9-3-4 in their league and deserved to be there.  They had the talent and the goal tending... just not enough horses.  2 lines all year.. they should be commended.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from penaltybox. Show penaltybox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : I agree, there are a few more teams out there that did the same. All I can say is their goal must be to just make the tournament, old story!  On the other side of the coin, there are those that kept a tough schedule but didn't make it,( AC,AP and I'll even add Andover). These 3 are probably better then some that did make it.

Funny Bob... the two teams you mentioned are prep schools... in a sense all-star teams. No sympathy here for AP and AC. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

Glad everyone has let off a little steam, I can see its playoff time. Seems like it has brought out the best and worse of the teams, which of course, is the time of year it happens.

Imagine if we did the format like the super 8, instead of one and done!

Cash

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

Seems like there are two games that will be well worth the price of admission. Should be played at a larger venue though,

3/8 Lexington vs. Woburn
    3/10 St. Marys vs. Hingham

Cash

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfan78. Show hockeyfan78's posts

[QUOTE]people,stop blaming the players.they dont start playing like that when they get to high school.shame on you parents,first of all who allow that nonsense.second,i would not want my kid associated with a coach who would allow such play.third,believe it or not i went to winthrop tonite to watch a great game.too bad some of the winthrop moms made fools of themselfs.two of the best goalies i have seen all year,good luck to the remainihg teams.
    Posted by penalty[/QUOTE]
     The girls game has evolved over the past several years.  It's gone from a strictly no check game to a much more physical game.  The coaches are emphasizing a more physical style of play.  That being said, it comes down to the referees setting the tone early.  They talk to the teams before the game and tell them what to expect.  So if the first girl throwing a check is sent off, the message has been delivered.  Of course that is not always the case, some refs allow a much more chippy and physical game. No call for a check, what else can I get away with.  This not an indictment on referees.  I think they do a great job for the most part.  It's just an observation that some officials have more control over a game than others.

As far as parents and students acting up in the stands, every school should have a representitive there to keep control of their "school event".  Let's face it this type of behavior has been going on since their kids were in youth hockey.  Little Jimmy or Susie is going on to a D1 school with a full ride.  Parents need to lead by example and show some class and respect around their kids.  It's a great sport, keep it that way.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Girls Super 8.  It makes some sense.  Looking at the past few years, the number of real upsets (both by record and by reputation) in the Div 1 brackets are few and far between.

2007 - 7 of the top 8 made the quarter finals.  The only "upset" was when a "12 seed beat the 5 seed"  (12 seed had a 13-5 record and the 5 seed was a 14-3-1 record, i.e. not much of an upset.

2008 - 5 of the top 8 made the quarters.  The 9 beat the 8, 11 beat the 6 (12-5-1 vs a 16-4) and the 14 (Woburn) beat the 3, 12-5-3 vs 15-3-1. 

2009 - 7 of the top 8 made the quarters.  Upset was a 13 beating the 4.  records were 15-2-3 vs 11-4-5.

2010 - 6 of the 8 made the quarters.  "upset" included the 9 beating the 8 (coin flips made the seedings for 7,8 and 9), and the 22 (Woburn again) beating the 6.

The MIAA seedings go purely by record and then coin flips.  A super 8 would be able to consider things like strength of schedule etc when making selections as long as they still meet the .500 or better record.  So someone with a good but not great record that played all the top teams would probably be more worthy of a super 8 slot than someone with a great record against weak teams.

It seems like such a thing might well be nearing its time.  For many of the same reasons the boys got their super 8 some years back.  Too many of the same top teams beating up less skilled/deep teams and not as much mystery about the final outcomes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from suburbanbob. Show suburbanbob's posts

[QUOTE]Glad everyone has let off a little steam, I can see its playoff time. Seems like it has brought out the best and worse of the teams, which of course, is the time of year it happens. Imagine if we did the format like the super 8, instead of one and done! Cash
    Posted by wtcash[/QUOTE]

Good point about bringing out the best/worse. Its a long season and every team, player and parent honestly does not want it to end abrubtly, everyone wants to go deep into the tournament.
    as someone just wrote, I'd rather go to a game like the Arl. W/L instead of a blow out or one sided.

Bob

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from metrofan. Show metrofan's posts

[QUOTE]  Another typical night, and one that has played out for several years: smuck team, has no chance to win, starts the hacking and running people when the game is out of hand. Classless parents cheering awful play and unsporsmanlike play because their kid was not good enough. Great idea; lets cheer when someone gets leg checked, tripped, or shoved into the boards for penalties; Real classy. We are talking about Shrewsbury, and their unsavory play tonight in Lynn.   Lets just call out a player right now: # 8 for Shrewsbury. Running around the entire 3 rd period, being a total jerk; and, a group of parents cheering every move. With just 24 seconds on the clock, and the Lynn teams seniors on the ice for the first time in the 3 rd period (embarrassing blow out) , playing for the last time in there home rink and making 100 games with out a loss.....# 8 is on the faceoff....the puck is dropped and up come a cross check right to the face of SMH # 2. the puck goes to # 6 of SMH and she circles the zone, with # 8 chasing, but unable to catch up; instead, of the way by # 10 SMH on defense is standing on the blue line and # 8 decides she can't catch # 6, so lets just run into # 10, who is not near the puck, Then.... ..here comes # 8, all the way from the blue line on the left side of the ice, and the puck is clear across the rink. She's not heading for the play, or to cover someone, she is heading straight for the Lynn teams best player, who is standing off to the side of the net. Here it comes, its and old story played out over and over against our team.........Checked and kicked from the blindside seconds left........ # 8: you are a jerk ! If my kid did that, she'd be out of hockey. Then the best part: my kid, yep, I'm a quite Lynn guy.......tells me after the game...that # 8 approached her on the very first shift and told here “I'm going to fn kill you.” Of coarse that was not backed up............she would have ended up just like the A Williams kid that tried that.   Bottom line; there should be a super 8 girls division, or some type of segregation; or make it more difficult to get in and cut out the scrummy teams. Teams with talent and class to not play like this. Hingham, AC, Arlington, AP, Lexington, you don't see the BS, and the cheap shots; that stuff is coming in from the bottom dwellers that don;t have a chance. Why should the big teams be subjected to the scrumms that have no prayer, so “they gonna run someone and try to knock them out of the game.”   Seen it over and over and it has to stop; games should go to running time, and get the bottom feeders on the bus home.   BTW...........anyone want to see the play by # 8, its on video..........   PS...........dirtiest, worst bunch in 4 years at SMH is easily the Framingham team.   PPS: power plays are no good when your up by 5, games should end via mercy rule rather than let the scrumm run around and attempt to injure, and the parent cheer them on.  
    Posted by Paycheck4[/QUOTE]
    Gotta say Paycheck if you have the tape of Framingham game @ SMH in 2008 playoffs please post it. I was sitting there in Lynn on that night amongst the SMH fans/parents and don't recall any of the dirty play you seem to be talking about. This was a game that after the first period 1-0 maybe 2-0 never was in doubt. Framingham is a big team no question most penalties taken are in the fashion of skating mistakes an bump here and there but no way intentional slashes and cross checkchecks etc.. I don't think the team is a great skating and puck handling team and a lot of times gets in trouble by just being big and slow. As far as the game in Framingham in 2009 again 7-1 or so totally one sided couple of bumps here and there SMH coach got tossed for stepping on the ice misinterpet of rules got him tossed. SMH playing a forward in the cage because of injury. I have seen tons of girls games in high school for the past 10 years girls can't say that I would include Framingham as the worst. The coaching in Framingham certainly lacks a system but not sure they are coaching dirty play either. Again please post the video if you have it my mind is not what is used to be but I can't seem to recall those incidents you happen to mention. All I do remember that night in 2008 was Framingham icing the puck everytime it handled it, the young goalie doing a pretty good job on trying to keep it under double digits.Thinking it must be nice having 6 years to play high school hockey being able to reach out and grab a player from wherever that didn't have ISL ability but certainly could compete and do well in the public school ranks. I admire SMH taking on all comers and winning soon to be 100 straight never rubbing it in on a team either. They have a great coach who respects the game the players buy into the system they are having fun lets leave it to the players to decide it on the ice. 50 plus degrees out here west of Boston could golf be on the horizon?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

Just read the paycheck post about #8 of Shrewsbury.
    This is when you need a goon as in the pro's, to take her out! Maybe next season HS coaches prepare a player to just protect the top play or teammates when it gets to the tournament!

I'm only kidding,well kind of!

Cash

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from magellann. Show magellann's posts

STUPID  The next round is in Watertown and the Miaa has the 4 games played on 3 different nights, one Tuesday, one Wedsnday, and two on Thursday.

The Finals are on the 20th, if your going to have a week off let the teams all go to Watertown on Saturday, together they can enjoy the event with all the teams together.

Just my view.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

[QUOTE]STUPID  The next round is in Watertown and the Miaa has the 4 games played on 3 different nights, one Tuesday, one Wedsnday, and two on Thursday. The Finals are on the 20th, if your going to have a week off let the teams all go to Watertown on Saturday, together they can enjoy the event with all the teams together. Just my view.
    Posted by magellann[/QUOTE]

Hey Magellan, you don't fool me...
    You're just trying to get to see 4 games for $7.00.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 :  The girls game has evolved over the past several years.  It's gone from a strictly no check game to a much more physical game.  The coaches are emphasizing a more physical style of play.  That being said, it comes down to the referees setting the tone early.  They talk to the teams before the game and tell them what to expect.  So if the first girl throwing a check is sent off, the message has been delivered.  Of course that is not always the case, some refs allow a much more chippy and physical game. No call for a check, what else can I get away with.  This not an indictment on referees.  I think they do a great job for the most part.  It's just an observation that some officials have more control over a game than others. As far as parents and students acting up in the stands, every school should have a representitive there to keep control of their "school event".  Let's face it this type of behavior has been going on since their kids were in youth hockey.  Little Jimmy or Susie is going on to a D1 school with a full ride.  Parents need to lead by example and show some class and respect around their kids.  It's a great sport, keep it that way.   
    Posted by hockeyfan78[/QUOTE]

Perhaps girls hockey has become a little more physical in recent years but I don't see it as much in the "better" teams. What I see in these better teams is...

Skating, Skating, Skating. The only way you are going to beat the better teams in the league, is to skate at their level. I am not just talking about speed, you also need to be strong on your skates and work on body position, you can see this in the top tier teams. There are a lot of teams out there that try to play the "physical game" against SMH, Woburn , Lexington etc...and it may keep them off the board for a little while but skating will win championships.

How many times have you heard someone on this board complain that Woburn, SMH, Lexington etc played an over-the-top physical game. Not many...

As far as SMH vs Shrewsbury...
    Some of the Shrewsbury players were out of control, but as much as they checked, they ended up on the ice just as many times as their SMH target, sometimes they just bounced off.

Sections
Shortcuts