EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hshockeyfan1. Show hshockeyfan1's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011

Matty -- What ever happened to "fair and balanced"?  Oh, I forgot, this the Globe!!!  Check some other facts from that game....like that 2nd period goal.  As time ticked down...who are you trying to fool?  Time had expired before the shot!  And who did the refs really help??  How about all those Walpole hooks, high sticks and hits from behind that weren't called??  Pathetic officiating and even worse reporting.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Matty+Ice. Show Matty+Ice's posts

hshockeyfan,
    I honestly could not tell on the goal because I was facing the goal and away from the clock.  There was a NCAA referee in the house who told me that the goal was good.  He was watching from ice level from behind the net where the goal was scored, so he had a great vanatge point.  He didn't have a dog in the fight, so I assume he was being honest.
    Refs were not very good.  Were there missed calls both ways?  Absolutely.  But try to be honest and acknowledge all the chippiness that was eminating from the away team.  They got away with a lot more than Walpole did. 

BTW, great comeback Walpole, you showed character coming back and dominating a good team in the 3rd period.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from penalty. Show penalty's posts

hey hshockeyfan1,let it go.you also must learn you wont win every game.excuses dont cut it in high school.good luck next year

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paycheck4. Show Paycheck4's posts

As time ticked down...who are you trying to fool?  Time had expired before the shot!  And who did the refs really help??  How about all those Walpole hooks, high sticks and hits from behind that weren't called??  Pathetic officiating and even worse reporting.

I heard the ref actually kicked in the winning goal........Tongue out

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Katprowl17. Show Katprowl17's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011:
    [QUOTE]hshockeyfan, I honestly could not tell on the goal because I was facing the goal and away from the clock.  There was a NCAA referee in the house who told me that the goal was good.  He was watching from ice level from behind the net where the goal was scored, so he had a great vanatge point.  He didn't have a dog in the fight, so I assume he was being honest. Refs were not very good.  Were there missed calls both ways?  Absolutely.  But try to be honest and acknowledge all the chippiness that was eminating from the away team.  They got away with a lot more than Walpole did.  BTW, great comeback Walpole, you showed character coming back and dominating a good team in the 3rd period.
    Posted by Matty+Ice[/QUOTE]

Stoneham is a VERY CHIPPY team.....that is how they have always played and they get away with it ALL season long....and their fans never see what their girls do but they always complain about the other team and what they do...they have some great talent on that team and they don't need to play that way and to add insult to injury the officials never call them for all that should be to stop that type of play....but it sounds like Walpole got over that and did what they needed to in order to move on ;-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hshockeyfan1. Show hshockeyfan1's posts

Hope the ice is better in Foxboro.  What was with all the puddles in Walpole?  Is it always that bad?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Stoneham is a VERY CHIPPY team.....that is how they have always played and they get away with it ALL season long....and their fans never see what their girls do but they always complain about the other team and what they do...they have some great talent on that team and they don't need to play that way and to add insult to injury the officials never call them for all that should be to stop that type of play....but it sounds like Walpole got over that and did what they needed to in order to move on ;-)
    Posted by Katprowl17[/QUOTE]

Agreed, saw some of their games and they do mix it up, but to be honest, most of the time staying just a whisker below the threshold of getting a penalty called, at least with most refs.  It gives them an edge against some teams and I am sure induces the ever foolish retaliation action that often does get called.  While I don't condone that play style, it can be effective at almost any level of hockey.

(In soccer terms, a lot of fouls and free kicks (ie warnings) but no Yellow or Red (actual called penalties)) cards from those actions that are just too blatent to ignore.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfan78. Show hockeyfan78's posts

[QUOTE]Hope the ice is better in Foxboro.  What was with all the puddles in Walpole?  Is it always that bad?
    Posted by hshockeyfan1[/QUOTE]

The refs were against us, the ice was wet, was it slippery too.  How was the sound system?  Any more excuses? Grow up!  The KIDS lost, not you. Time to get on with your life.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Matty+Ice. Show Matty+Ice's posts

I was impressed with the Stoneham team, except for the chippiness.  They have some good players.  Walpole was fortunate to win this game, because it looked to me like Stoneham was the better team in the 1st half of the game.
    Congrats to both teams on great seasons.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilledhockeydad. Show Chilledhockeydad's posts

Congrats to Norwood, beating Winchester 4 to 1 last night.  Compared to a year ago, Norwood still has the offensive punch, but dramatically improved their defense.  Both teams skated hard.  Norwood just had the knack for turning rebounds into goals.  They did a great job of turning that little rink into scoring opportunities.   Good luck to them the rest of the way. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paycheck4. Show Paycheck4's posts

Parents:  please display good sportsmanship in victory and defeat.....its only a game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from suburbanbob. Show suburbanbob's posts

Hingham 9, Medford 1.
    Welcome to the Big Leagues Mustangs!!!

Any word on Billerica?
    Bob

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

[QUOTE]Parents:  please display good sportsmanship in victory and defeat.....its only a game.
    Posted by Paycheck4[/QUOTE]

Chill out Pcheck, its a forum where folks get to let go a little steam and enjoy writing/reading about hockey, an intense sport on and off the ice.
    Some win, some lose, good or bad they get to let it out here on this forum,

Cash

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from suburbanbob. Show suburbanbob's posts

[QUOTE]Hingham 9, Medford 1. Welcome to the Big Leagues Mustangs!!! Any word on Billerica? Bob
    Posted by suburbanbob[/QUOTE]

Nevermind, Billerica lost in OT 4-3. Any input on the games tomorrow night Lex. vs WM. Arl. vs WL....I know its kind of obvious with AB and SMH but there are miracles!

Bob

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from penaltybox. Show penaltybox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Stoneham is a VERY CHIPPY team.....that is how they have always played and they get away with it ALL season long....and their fans never see what their girls do but they always complain about the other team and what they do...they have some great talent on that team and they don't need to play that way and to add insult to injury the officials never call them for all that should be to stop that type of play....but it sounds like Walpole got over that and did what they needed to in order to move on ;-)
    Posted by Katprowl17[/QUOTE]

Stoneham can be chippy at times, but no one in the Middlesex League comes close to the Wakefield team for cheap shots. I would like to know how many teams have suffered substantial injuries when  playing that team. Their coach seems to have no problem with what they do.  They didn't make the playoffs so I guess justice is served but can't believe something hasn't been done about it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cager. Show cager's posts

Congrats to the Sandwich squad & staff for overcoming obstacles with a big win against a well coached Dedham team !

Second congrats to the Medford Mustangs, tough loss, but keep your heads high.  Your team is young, and the future is bright.   

I'm sure the Harbourwomen staff will be in Lynn tonight, as SML begins play against the  Shrewsbury.   Could this be #100 without a loss ?  

Lexington vs Watertown should be a tight game tonight. 

Medway/Ash vs Braintree hidden out back in rink 4 at Marlboro tomorrow might be a diamond in the rough !

Did anybody else notice that the D1 Quarters are gonna be awesome !!!

Yes, the ice is better in Foxboro than Walpole.  No, it's not anywhere near as good as Framingham.   But, it's great to see all four games same day at the same location.   Thank the Foxboro staff for getting that done !!!   Don't be late for the early 3, parking might be a little tight.  BTW, during the break while you're waiting for game 4, be first in line for the Steak Tips.  One of the best in rink meals in EMass.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from penalty. Show penalty's posts

hey bob good job.you were right about the mustangs.hingham is one of the elite,like i said.medford a little young to deal with the onslaught.maybe next year!  bob,do you have a horse in this race?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from suburbanbob. Show suburbanbob's posts

[QUOTE]hey bob good job.you were right about the mustangs.hingham is one of the elite,like i said.medford a little young to deal with the onslaught.maybe next year!  bob,do you have a horse in this race?
    Posted by penalty[/QUOTE]

I'm behind the Ponders,("ponder this"!) hopefully they get by Winthrop/Lynn tonight. Anybody have any information on them, seems like a good group of players with an outstanding goaltender.

Bob

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

[QUOTE]Hingham 9, Medford 1. Welcome to the Big Leagues Mustangs!!! Any word on Billerica? Bob

I think that is 2 years of 1 and done for Medfoed, They should beef up their schedule to improve their program, come on they have Peabody, Shawsheen and St Bernards on their schedule. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from suburbanbob. Show suburbanbob's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : I think that is 2 years of 1 and done for Medfoed, They should beef up their schedule to improve their program, come on they have Peabody, Shawsheen and St Bernards on their schedule. 
    Posted by Icing-2[/QUOTE]

I agree, there are a few more teams out there that did the same. All I can say is their goal must be to just make the tournament, old story!
     On the other side of the coin, there are those that kept a tough schedule but didn't make it,( AC,AP and I'll even add Andover). These 3 are probably better then some that did make it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfan78. Show hockeyfan78's posts

The Sandwich girls aquitted themselves quite well last night in Dedham.  They overcame a two goal deficit twice to pull it out in OT.  Look forward to see how they do against Norwood.  All four games in one rink should be a lot of fun. Good luck to all.  Remember it's only a game played by kids.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from grules. Show grules's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : I agree, there are a few more teams out there that did the same. All I can say is their goal must be to just make the tournament, old story!  On the other side of the coin, there are those that kept a tough schedule but didn't make it,( AC,AP and I'll even add Andover). These 3 are probably better then some that did make it.

Good post.

It has become apparent that there are many teams that have AD's that are doing these teams no service by scheduling easy games just to make a playoff run (you know who you are). What it does is create a field of really great, probably above average teams, and the remainder are easy targets for a 9-1 defeat.  Its really easy to say that one team has a "phenom" that scores 70 points a year, but when you play easy teams, girls like that are going to run up points. What happens when that girl faces Hinghahm, she is guarded by elite players that don't allow it to happen. Not to pick on Medford, or even the extremelly talented #11, (althouth Medford has earned the rep) but its clear that unless they step up their schedule they will never be prepared to take a shot at the title.  I also think this true for teams like Winthrop, or Melrose, or even Urseline and Archies (although some did have a few difficult games to face).  You can't tell me that those teams should be in a playoff run while teams with tougher schedules are sitting in the bleachers watching. 

AD's have decided that the regular season means nothing and they get to put a notch in their belt and say "we made it to the playoffs so we were successful".  Not really, and everyone is onto them now.  And, by acknowledging girls that score high points during these easy schedules, we are doing no service to the future of the girls game as the numbers are so scewed we don't really know exactly what talents are available for US hockey in general. There needs to be a better way for girls and teams to have their talents "judged" so that we truly know who can advance the sport. Thats what we all want right???

This year in particuliar there are teams that struggled with difficult schedules who deserved a playoff bid (agreed with AC, AP and maybe Andover).  Having these teams not in the tournament, makes the early rounds silly.  And it also leaves things open for possible upsets.  Not that we don't love to see the underdog win, I love it too, but if girls hockey ever wants to be legit, we need to see legit teams, with tough schedules making it thru.  The upsets should be between solid, true and tested teams, not Medford taking on Hingham or even St. Mary's taking on Shrewsbury (will that be the upset of the century!).

My rant here isn't meant to insult any one team, so apology to those who have hurt feelings. Its easy to judge Medford vs Hingham since hindsight is 20/20.  However, the point really is, what is happening to girls hockey in general as far as competition and advancement? We are making no gains by not breaking out the divisions and really getting "down and dirty" devising a better all around system that is fair and realistic and producing quality over quantity.  There are many ways to do it without eliminating the underdog possibilities, but it should be more realistic than just "get to 500 and your in", we need the whole picture.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Downtown11. Show Downtown11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : I think that is 2 years of 1 and done for Medfoed, They should beef up their schedule to improve their program, come on they have Peabody, Shawsheen and St Bernards on their schedule. 
    Posted by Icing-2[/QUOTE] its a shame hingham will have to play the saints so early in the tourney. last year they were the 2nd best team and got stuck on the same side as the saints leading to such a poor final game with woburn. at least this year woburn looks like the 2nd best team and we should get a decent final game. can hingham do woburn a favor and be the 1st to upset the saints. it happened once before ages ago when austin pulled off the great upset of saints and ac came in the back door to be champs. stay tuned.....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

grules, you also have to admit that most of the top teams do schedule most of the other top teams during the regular season as well.  (at least to the extent their non-league schedule permits).  Woburn played Lincoln-Sudbury,  St Mary's, Acton-Boxborough and Arlington.  All four in the top 7 of the Masshshockey rankings, and most of the other top teams do that too. 

What that leaves however is very few slots open for anyone not already on top to try and get a game with those teams.  So the up and coming teams have to take what they can get to some degree and improve where they can.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paycheck4. Show Paycheck4's posts

Another typical night, and one that has played out for several years: smuck team, has no chance to win, starts the hacking and running people when the game is out of hand. Classless parents cheering awful play and unsporsmanlike play because their kid was not good enough. Great idea; lets cheer when someone gets leg checked, tripped, or shoved into the boards for penalties; Real classy. We are talking about Shrewsbury, and their unsavory play tonight in Lynn.

Lets just call out a player right now: # 8 for Shrewsbury. Running around the entire 3rd period, being a total jerk; and, a group of parents cheering every move. With just 24 seconds on the clock, and the Lynn teams seniors on the ice for the first time in the 3rd period (embarrassing blow out) , playing for the last time in there home rink and making 100 games with out a loss.....# 8 is on the faceoff....the puck is dropped and up come a cross check right to the face of SMH # 2. the puck goes to # 6 of SMH and she circles the zone, with # 8 chasing, but unable to catch up; instead, of the way by # 10 SMH on defense is standing on the blue line and # 8 decides she can't catch # 6, so lets just run into # 10, who is not near the puck, Then.... ..here comes # 8, all the way from the blue line on the left side of the ice, and the puck is clear across the rink. She's not heading for the play, or to cover someone, she is heading straight for the Lynn teams best player, who is standing off to the side of the net. Here it comes, its and old story played out over and over against our team.........Checked and kicked from the blindside seconds left........

# 8: you are a jerk ! If my kid did that, she'd be out of hockey. Then the best part: my kid, yep, I'm a quite Lynn guy.......tells me after the game...that # 8 approached her on the very first shift and told here “I'm going to fn kill you.” Of coarse that was not backed up............she would have ended up just like the A Williams kid that tried that.

Bottom line; there should be a super 8 girls division, or some type of segregation; or make it more difficult to get in and cut out the scrummy teams. Teams with talent and class to not play like this. Hingham, AC, Arlington, AP, Lexington, you don't see the BS, and the cheap shots; that stuff is coming in from the bottom dwellers that don;t have a chance. Why should the big teams be subjected to the scrumms that have no prayer, so “they gonna run someone and try to knock them out of the game.”

Seen it over and over and it has to stop; games should go to running time, and get the bottom feeders on the bus home.

BTW...........anyone want to see the play by # 8, its on video..........

PS...........dirtiest, worst bunch in 4 years at SMH is easily the Framingham team.

PPS: power plays are no good when your up by 5, games should end via mercy rule rather than let the scrumm run around and attempt to injure, and the parent cheer them on.