EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Katprowl17. Show Katprowl17's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Hi Bob, I agree there are better venues for the fans. But I think (could be wrong) most of the girls would rather play at "The Garden". It just gives the game that big game feel.
    Posted by ghockeyfan[/QUOTE]

Agreed ghockeyfan ~~ I think that the girls, if they had their choice, they would take the times given to them to have the opportunity to play in the Garden ~~ but wouldn't it be nice to have them play inbetween boys games where they would get some fans in the seats before the start of their game and people would actually watch and see that girls hockey, especially in a state championship, is great hockey to watch!!  Our girls play before the boys...so we always have a good crowd by the third period of the game and then boys always watch the second period....but thinking abut the MIAA they are probably putting them at this time hoping they will give it up and play elsewhere!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paycheck4. Show Paycheck4's posts

who is heading off to playing college hockey ?  where ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paycheck4. Show Paycheck4's posts

bump

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paycheck4. Show Paycheck4's posts

bump

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoachHux. Show CoachHux's posts

[QUOTE]who is heading off to playing college hockey ?  where ?
    Posted by Paycheck4[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, to date, I've not heard of any heading to D1. Not surprising since even the Prep ranks only produce a handful each year. Contrast this to Minnesota where 40 are already committed to D1 programs for the coming season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paycheck4. Show Paycheck4's posts

Hux, D-1 is not everything............and think about it.  lots going on in Boston and MA for young folks compared to .........................Minny.........wat they got there besides cold weather.  ie: nothing else to do there..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paycheck4. Show Paycheck4's posts

ya, I heard that the new NS Community College team was D-2....go figure

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoachHux. Show CoachHux's posts

[QUOTE]Hux, D-1 is not everything............and think about it.  lots going on in Boston and MA for young folks compared to .........................Minny.........wat they got there besides cold weather.  ie: nothing else to do there..

No, it is not everything, as there is DIII. My point is that too many people think that because you played high school hockey, you can go on and play college hockey. Unfortunately, high school hockey in Massachusetts is terrible. It's House League when compared to Minnesota. Very few Prep players have a chance to play at the next level, let alone high school players.  It is a very difficult transition, and one many players find they can't handle, with many unable to make a DIII roster. Division 1 is practically impossible for all but an occasional player.

As for the comparison to Minnesota, well there is just as much to do there in Minneapolis and St. Paul and St. Cloud and Duluth as there is in Boston or Worcester or the Cape. The problem lies in the way we develop our players, and the poor way in which we select players for the National camps.

While I am happy that when two high school teams play there are 30-40 girls having fun in a way that was unavailable to them a decade ago, I am very disappointed at how poor the level of hockey is after a decade of competition.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paycheck4. Show Paycheck4's posts

Hux, pretty awful post coming from a MA HS coach, if this is coach Hux.............

the underlying development problem surly lies at the feet of MA Hockey.  maybe if someone gets involved on that end and cranks up the girls program similar to the boys......long term development will pick up.  ?  MA hockey have anything similar to the boys programs that skate all summer ?  doubt it. pretty sure its a camp, then a trip, and not the weekly development opp that the boys have.  my kid skated every weekend at BU for years....developed pretty good....

have to dispute your assesment about the MA kids and D-1...tons of kids could do it...know of at least 20 in the past 3 years that opted NOT to be a full time college hockey player, but could easily have played D-1. and if Minny is so good, why they all come to play in Boston ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : No, it is not everything, as there is DIII. My point is that too many people think that because you played high school hockey, you can go on and play college hockey. Unfortunately, high school hockey in Massachusetts is terrible. It's House League when compared to Minnesota. Very few Prep players have a chance to play at the next level, let alone high school players.  It is a very difficult transition, and one many players find they can't handle, with many unable to make a DIII roster. Division 1 is practically impossible for all but an occasional player. As for the comparison to Minnesota, well there is just as much to do there in Minneapolis and St. Paul and St. Cloud and Duluth as there is in Boston or Worcester or the Cape. The problem lies in the way we develop our players, and the poor way in which we select players for the National camps. While I am happy that when two high school teams play there are 30-40 girls having fun in a way that was unavailable to them a decade ago, I am very disappointed at how poor the level of hockey is after a decade of competition.
    Posted by CoachHux[/QUOTE]

Hi Coach,
    I kind of hear ya.. but I think our select team hockey is definitely on par with Minnesota etc... Perhaps there are just too many school choices in the New England area, so all the better players end up getting spilt between the various schools.

I don't know about the College level, but the National Level seems to be
    close in participation/selection (except the U22 Level)

Olympic Team: 4 Mass Players, 3 Minn Players
    U22 National Team: 0 Mass Players, 6 Minn Players
    U18 National Team: 4 Mass Players, 6 Minn Players

Olympic Roster: http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=TU_02_01_05&id=277698

U22 National Roster: http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=TU_02_05&id=288616

U18 National Roster: http://www.usahockey.com//Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=TU_02_07_01&ID=295430

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoachHux. Show CoachHux's posts

[QUOTE]Hux, pretty awful post coming from a MA HS coach, if this is coach Hux............. the underlying development problem surly lies at the feet of MA Hockey.  maybe if someone gets involved on that end and cranks up the girls program similar to the boys......long term development will pick up.  ?  MA hockey have anything similar to the boys programs that skate all summer ?  doubt it. pretty sure its a camp, then a trip, and not the weekly development opp that the boys have.  my kid skated every weekend at BU for years....developed pretty good.... have to dispute your assesment about the MA kids and D-1...tons of kids could do it...know of at least 20 in the past 3 years that opted NOT to be a full time college hockey player, but could easily have played D-1. and if Minny is so good, why they all come to play in Boston ?

First, I am not Coach Huxley.

Second, trust me, if tons of kids could play D1, the vast majority would be playing D1. Very few players spend their formative years playing and then decide "Oh, I don't really want to play college hockey." They don't play because they know they don't have the skill to play at the next level, and this includes the DIII level. Which is fine. You can play college club, intramural, Senior B or C or just do pick-up games when and where ya like. It is all good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Downtown11. Show Downtown11's posts

i wish my parents told me to just pick up a book and study instead of just worrying about where i went to school for hockey. 4 years later and i am working in an ice cream place and not a soul cares where i played. playing d1 d3 d2 no 1 cared........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from endofroad. Show endofroad's posts

[QUOTE]i wish my parents told me to just pick up a book and study instead of just worrying about where i went to school for hockey. 4 years later and i am working in an ice cream place and not a soul cares where i played. playing d1 d3 d2 no 1 cared........
    Posted by Downtown11[/QUOTE]

that's funny...i know a girl that picked up a book, studied and played hockey. She owns an ice cream shop.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from penalty. Show penalty's posts

thats a nice story end.i know plenty of young ladys who play the game for fun.are they really in the minority?lighten up people.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from endofroad. Show endofroad's posts

[QUOTE]thats a nice story end.i know plenty of young ladys who play the game for fun.are they really in the minority?lighten up people.
    Posted by penalty[/QUOTE]

...AND FOR EVERY ICE CREAM PARLOR OWNER THAT WENT D-1 THERE ARE 300 GIRLS THAT WENT D3...DOESN'T REALLY MATTER AS LONG AS THEY END UP EDUCATED AND CAN START PAYING DOWN THE HOCKEY DEBT THE PARENTS HAD FOR ALL OF THOSE YEARS...KIDDING.

HOW FORTUNATE IS IT THAT ANY GIRL IS ABLE TO GET AN EDUCATION BECASUE OF A SPORT? TO ME IT'S THE ULTIMATE TROPHY.

AND THESE ARE THE ONLY TROPHIES THAT SHOULD BE FOR EVERYONE.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reg-Dunlop. Show Reg-Dunlop's posts

re. Minnesota

Before we scrap the Massachuesetts system, consider this.   I read somewhere that there are twice as many rinks per capita in the state of Minnesota than Mass so there is also a bigger talent pool to choose from.

While at the Polar bear tournament this year, i was chatting with a couple of parents from Minnesota.  They were jealous of the prep school system that we have in place in Mass.   They enrolled their kids in NAHA in order to get them to play at a higher level.  So when you see that there are so many girls from Minnesota, you can't assume that they all played at public high school.   Take a look at the roster of some of the prep schools.   They are not all Mass kids.  

It seems like the grass is always greener. 

Whose system is better?   I don't really know, I'm just happy that my daughter is involved and still having fun.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoachHux. Show CoachHux's posts

[QUOTE]re. Minnesota Before we scrap the Massachuesetts system, consider this.   I read somewhere that there are twice as many rinks per capita in the state of Minnesota than Mass so there is also a bigger talent pool to choose from. While at the Polar bear tournament this year, i was chatting with a couple of parents from Minnesota.  They were jealous of the prep school system that we have in place in Mass.   They enrolled their kids in NAHA in order to get them to play at a higher level.  So when you see that there are so many girls from Minnesota, you can't assume that they all played at public high school.   Take a look at the roster of some of the prep schools.   They are not all Mass kids.   It seems like the grass is always greener.  Whose system is better?   I don't really know, I'm just happy that my daughter is involved and still having fun.
    Posted by Reg-Dunlop[/QUOTE]

Of the 41 players going D1 from Minnesota, two played for Shattuck St. Mary's and two played for the Minnesota Thoroughbreds (JWHL). The rest played for their local high school team. Yes, they do have a deeper talent pool, but not by that much. The difference seems to be better development through their off-season training programs such as CODP, FIT, and OS, which do high intensity skating and skills along with strength and conditioning. They also have a much more elaborate process for advancement to the National Development Camps, with regional tryouts that include practices and several days of on ice testing and games, along with a second and third phase of tryouts that (with practices) further pair down the field. They have spring leagues which are for the most part a second season of their high school teams, just ratcheted back on practices and games. They have several summer tournament teams that are made up of the 50 best girls in the state. These teams play within state against one another and at various high profile tournaments. Additionally, they have a fall Elite league made up of four teams of the best 60 players in the state, and also includes Shattuck St. Mary's and the Minnesota Crunch. Many of these girls also compete in soccer, field hockey, volleyball etc. In short they are excellent athletes that are driven to play hockey at the highest level.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

An interesting article:

http://www.boston.com/sports/schools/hockey/articles/2011/04/14/hockey_tourney_was_a_nice_score_for_miaa_this_year/

After digesting the proposal, I kind of think that may be the way to go to get teams to think twice about asking for waivers

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Is it hockey season YET?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cager. Show cager's posts

link for 2010/11  season thread;
    http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9682Discussion%3a82a46a57-8ea1-4eb0-a83a-0b44a6411435

Sections
Shortcuts