EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherhockeydad. Show anotherhockeydad's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011

Question - anyone else have an opinion on the overly agressive play of Shrewsbury?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011:
    Question - anyone else have an opinion on the overly agressive play of Shrewsbury?
    Posted by anotherhockeydad

So far in the games that I've seen, some that I've heard about,  the "overly agressive" team is usually the home team and the Ref's (hometeam Refs?)are letting that team get away with a little more. Would I be wrong by saying Shrewsbury was the home team in the game your talking about?

WT

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherhockeydad. Show anotherhockeydad's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : So far in the games that I've seen, some that I've heard about,  the "overly agressive" team is usually the home team and the Ref's (hometeam Refs?)are letting that team get away with a little more. Would I be wrong by saying Shrewsbury was the home team in the game your talking about? WT
    Posted by wtcash

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from endofroad. Show endofroad's posts

you're dead on. they are pretty cheap.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reg-Dunlop. Show Reg-Dunlop's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : you're dead on. they are pretty cheap.
    Posted by endofroad

Come on.   Hockey is a game of limitations.  They will be tested in every game.   You're going to try to get away with anything you can and it's up the refs to police it.   The more you get away with, the more you are going to try to get away with.  If you've ever played the game, you already know this.

I'm not saying anything about this particular game because I didn't see it, nor have I seen the team in question. 

Old Time Hockey! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherhockeydad. Show anotherhockeydad's posts

(2) concussions in the game, (1) backboarded to emergency room an illegal hit from behind and no calls!  yes lousy refs but even lousier players.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from endofroad. Show endofroad's posts

(2) concussions in the game, (1) backboarded to emergency room an illegal hit from behind and no calls!  yes lousy refs but even lousier players.

LET ME GUESS WHICH ONE.
    SHORT WITH LONG BLACK HAIR

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Light. Show Red-Light's posts

Stuff like this needs to come out in this forum, I know for a fact Coaches and the MIAA reps DO monitor this forum.  who knows some may actually post here as well!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

Interesting tidbit in this article
    http://www.boston.com/sports/schools/extras/schools_blog/2011/01/miaa_looks_for.html

Maybe they can look at the waiver process in girls Ice hockey in additional to the topics mentioned in the article.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Icing - it's not mentioned in the article but according to the coach who told me about it, the waiver topic for girls ice hockey is being voted on in the June meeting. Sounds like this article is only discussing the stuff up for the March meeting.

1 game this weekend down, 1 to go. 

Ref's 2 Framingham 1, excuse me, Braintree 2 Framingham 1

Not as bad as the 2 that were at the Shrewsbury game from the sounds of it, ours were just incompetent. Someone please point out to me the rule that a goalie is not allowed to cover up the puck between the circles with an opposing player right on top of her and where it says it's a 'delay of game' penalty.  Also need to know where in the rule book a goalie is not allowed to use her stick however she needs to within her own crease to make a save and that if an opposing player trips over her stick (after the shot has been taken and her momentum is simply carrying her that direction) within the crease that that is a tripping penalty too.  My most favorite of the game though was the interference call on one of ours when two Braintree girls collided into each other at the net & landed on our goalie in the crease, wasn't a white shirt near either of them other than the goalie.  As far as play and tempo goes, it was a great back and forth game, both teams pretty evenly matched.  Looks as though Braintree is in a similar boat as we are this year with what they lost to graduation.  Last year there was a line+ worth of players who made you hold your breath when they were on the ice, this year there were only 2 that stood out as dangerous.  As our girls get used to their new lines and make their adjustments things are starting to click for them. They are likely not going to make the tournament this year but it certainly won't be for lack of effort.  Alas, effort doesn't count in the standings.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

Icing - it's not mentioned in the article but according to the coach who told me about it, the waiver topic for girls ice hockey is being voted on in the June meeting. Sounds like this article is only discussing the stuff up for the March meeting. 1 game this weekend down, 1 to go.  Ref's 2 Framingham 1, excuse me, Braintree 2 Framingham 1 Not as bad as the 2 that were at the Shrewsbury game from the sounds of it, ours were just incompetent. Someone please point out to me the rule that a goalie is not allowed to cover up the puck between the circles with an opposing player right on top of her and where it says it's a 'delay of game' penalty.  Also need to know where in the rule book a goalie is not allowed to use her stick however she needs to within her own crease to make a save and that if an opposing player trips over her stick (after the shot has been taken and her momentum is simply carrying her that direction) within the crease that that is a tripping penalty too.  My most favorite of the game though was the interference call on one of ours when two Braintree girls collided into each other at the net & landed on our goalie in the crease, wasn't a white shirt near either of them other than the goalie.  As far as play and tempo goes, it was a great back and forth game, both teams pretty evenly matched.  Looks as though Braintree is in a similar boat as we are this year with what they lost to graduation.  Last year there was a line+ worth of players who made you hold your breath when they were on the ice, this year there were only 2 that stood out as dangerous.  As our girls get used to their new lines and make their adjustments things are starting to click for them. They are likely not going to make the tournament this year but it certainly won't be for lack of effort.  Alas, effort doesn't count in the standings.
    Posted by Hockeymomsrule

Hi Hockeymom,
    I found this with regards to the NHL, but I think it applies to most other hockey leagues also....

Rule 63 - Delaying the Game

63.1   Delaying the Game – A player or a team may be penalized when, in the opinion of the Referee, is delaying the game in any manner.

63.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player, including the goalkeeper, who holds, freezes or plays the puck with his stick, skates or body in such a manner as to deliberately cause a stoppage of play. With regard to a goalkeeper, this rule applies outside of his goal crease area.

(remainder of rule deleted)......

We had this called on us as well at a JV game.

Sounds like it is at least partially at the referees discretion. I agree I have seen the goalie come out of their crease many times to freeze the puck with nothing being called.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeydad. Show ghockeydad's posts

Walpole dropped a tough one to Dedham 3-2.  I always felt that you should take your medicine but this game will be hard for Walpole to swallow.  Walpole should have gone up 3-1 on a power play goal in the 2nd.  Puck in the net, referee was out of position, and blew the call.  Dedham tied game with less than a minute to go in the 2nd.  With 30 seconds left in the game (another) questionable penalty was called on Walpole.  As time expired Dedham put the puck in.  Clearly, and I do mean clearly the puck was not over the line before time expired but the refs awarded the goal.  

Numerous other blown calls and a very quick whistles.  I don't believe it was "home cooking" although it sure looked that way.  Most likely simply plain incompetence.  The win goes to Dedham but the refs won it for them.

I don't know how either of these 2 guys are allowed to ref games.  Does anyone monitor this.  No one likes to lose but to have a game decided by refereeing is really a downer.  Its unfortunate that there is no recourse. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Matty+Ice. Show Matty+Ice's posts

those two bozos should be embarassed by their actions.  puck was clearly not over line at buzzer.
    disgraceful.
    well played game by both teams.  shame to have a good game clearly decided by refs.
    congrats to dedham on a tainted win, not their fault the refs were incompetent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

Well Since Framingham is due to travel to Braintree tomorrow the annual snowstorm on that is due here.  Follow you latest reschedule here http://www.masshshockey.com/news.html?news=full&newsID=1294787081
    Posted by Icing-2

Strange year as you pointed out earlier:

Woburn 9 Winchester 1

ND Hingham ties SMH, and loses to Matignon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from suburbanbob. Show suburbanbob's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : Strange year as you pointed out earlier: Woburn 9 Winchester 1 ND Hingham ties SMH, and loses to Matignon.
    Posted by Sportsdad23

I was going to point out that ND and Matignon game too.

Got another odd one,according to MassHShockey, 
    Westford Academy-4 A/B-3, is that a typo???
    AHS played Westford the other day and won 8-0!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudwife. Show mudwife's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2010-2011 : I was going to point out that ND and Matignon game too.   Got another odd one,according to MassHShockey,  Westford Academy-4 A/B-3, is that a typo??? AHS played Westford the other day and won 8-0!
    Posted by suburbanbob

Wow, maybe AB should dip down a little further and apply for a pre-school waiver. There's bound to be some snipers in their "mosquito" program.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

It seems as though the MIAA took all of their incompetent ref's and threw them all into the pool to do the girls games this year.  More mystery/non-contact calls made in our game last night too.  Think we ran out of room in the box at one point, took about an hour just to play the 3rd period alone.  In the end, the girls fought off each penalty kill and left with a 1-0 win.  Part of me is wondering if we have a large number of refs who don't know the girls game and aren't cognizant of the fact that girls hockey is no check, not no contact. Seems as though if someone even breathes in the direction of another player this year they are being sent to the box, on both sides.  Some very questionable penalty's called on NN too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from peaceonearth. Show peaceonearth's posts

It seems as though the MIAA took all of their incompetent ref's and threw them all into the pool to do the girls games this year.  More mystery/non-contact calls made in our game last night too.  Think we ran out of room in the box at one point, took about an hour just to play the 3rd period alone.  In the end, the girls fought off each penalty kill and left with a 1-0 win.  Part of me is wondering if we have a large number of refs who don't know the girls game and aren't cognizant of the fact that girls hockey is no check, not no contact. Seems as though if someone even breathes in the direction of another player this year they are being sent to the box, on both sides.  Some very questionable penalty's called on NN too.
    Posted by Hockeymomsrule

Hockeymoms, I was thinking the same thing about all the questionable refs being assinged to girls hockey this year.  Sounds like the MIAA needs to run a refresher course for all refs allowed to work girls games and review the rules. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from suburbanbob. Show suburbanbob's posts

Another strange one, AC 3, Andover 3. Not knocking either team but what the heck, you can take it from there....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherhockeydad. Show anotherhockeydad's posts

MIAA???  Are you serious????  Lets just say numerous phone calls, letters, letters from attornies, etc.. and they are no where to be found.  If anyone is looking for a great "gate keeper" grab the nice lady who answers the phone down there.

They are a joke,  we've been told its not their job, its up tot the individual schoosl to police themselves.  Yeah look back in history, that works well.  Big Dig, NCAA hazing, etc....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from endofroad. Show endofroad's posts

a-hockydad,

you will only hear from the MIAA during tournament time.-when they make money. they could care less about officials or anything else but collecting gate money so they can fly around on vacations. the AD's know this. it's a complete mockery of high school sports

why wouldn;t they have an official at some random games to grade the officials?

stop worrying about 7th graders that have the ability to keep up with seniors. do some real work cleaning up the game of sub-par officials

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Amen to that endofroad!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

I had the opportunity to be "oncall" and catch two girls games today.  Whata great day to get paid to watch hockey. 

The first game was Arlington hosting St. Mary's.  I bet a round of beers that Arlington would win or tie.  I thought it would be 2-2, or 2-1, 3-2 Arlington.  I have not picked against Mary's all year long and today they reminded me why.  I thought Arlington had many good scoring opportunities but just came up a bit short.  Both teams carried play for periods of the game.  Sabrina Iannetti played an outstanding game and made the most of her chances.  After a 0-0 first period things started out pretty even in the second as well.  A faceoff in the Mary's zone that they were able to transition out of the zone allowed Sabrina to split the two D and beat the goalie glove side.  The play remained even and in the third Arlington had a great chance in front put couldn't put it in.  Mary's extended lean to 2-0 when Sabrina scored again.  ENG made it 3-0 and a 4th goal with the goalie back in for good measure.  Those girls don't quit.  All in all Arlington is an elite team along with Hingham, Woburn and Lexington.  Those teams and Mary's make up Tier 1.  Billerica is right on the cuss of being tier 1 and maybe they are, O just haven't seen them play enough.  They beat AB on Wed and I will put them in Tier 1.

The second game was quite a shock.  Framingham @ AC.  Framingham won 4-2.  Framingham was led by #9.  She had some great individual plays to put them up 2-0 in the first.  AC had good scoring chances but Framingham's D zone played well.  Framingham's goalie played a great game.  AC didn't quit or let up, alot of dump and chase all game.  It appear to be working in the second as Framingham looked a bit tired.  Natalie Flynn is a real shifty player.  She scored on a breakaway and there was a scrum goal in front of the Framingham net. Going into the 3rd it was 2-2.  Framingham carried play in the first and AC in the second.  Framingham recovered from their second period.  I assume the ice making helped them or the coaches or captains got things back on track.  To start the third it was Framingham with pressure.  Half way through the third period went back and forth with both teams with scoring chances.  The game winner was a low shot through traffic from the point.  The goalie never had a chance.  #9 concluded the scoring with an ENG for the trick with under a minute and while killing a 6-4.  I am not sure what to make of Framingham.  A lot of close games this season, looks like they are starting to put it together.  AC is a good team, I think they will be a Tier 2 team by the end of the season.  Flynn could be a superstar by the time she graduates.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from suburbanbob. Show suburbanbob's posts

I had the opportunity to be "oncall" and catch two girls games today.  Whata great day to get paid to watch hockey.  The first game was Arlington hosting St. Mary's.  I bet a round of beers that Arlington would win or tie.  I thought it would be 2-2, or 2-1, 3-2 Arlington.  I have not picked against Mary's all year long and today they reminded me why.  I thought Arlington had many good scoring opportunities but just came up a bit short.  Both teams carried play for periods of the game.  Sabrina Iannetti played an outstanding game and made the most of her chances.  After a 0-0 first period things started out pretty even in the second as well.  A faceoff in the Mary's zone that they were able to transition out of the zone allowed Sabrina to split the two D and beat the goalie glove side.  The play remained even and in the third Arlington had a great chance in front put couldn't put it in.  Mary's extended lean to 2-0 when Sabrina scored again.  ENG made it 3-0 and a 4th goal with the goalie back in for good measure.  Those girls don't quit.  All in all Arlington is an elite team along with Hingham, Woburn and Lexington.  Those teams and Mary's make up Tier 1.  Billerica is right on the cuss of being tier 1 and maybe they are, O just haven't seen them play enough.  They beat AB on Wed and I will put them in Tier 1. The second game was quite a shock.  Framingham @ AC.  Framingham won 4-2.  Framingham was led by #9.  She had some great individual plays to put them up 2-0 in the first.  AC had good scoring chances but Framingham's D zone played well.  Framingham's goalie played a great game.  AC didn't quit or let up, alot of dump and chase all game.  It appear to be working in the second as Framingham looked a bit tired.  Natalie Flynn is a real shifty player.  She scored on a breakaway and there was a scrum goal in front of the Framingham net. Going into the 3rd it was 2-2.  Framingham carried play in the first and AC in the second.  Framingham recovered from their second period.  I assume the ice making helped them or the coaches or captains got things back on track.  To start the third it was Framingham with pressure.  Half way through the third period went back and forth with both teams with scoring chances.  The game winner was a low shot through traffic from the point.  The goalie never had a chance.  #9 concluded the scoring with an ENG for the trick with under a minute and while killing a 6-4.  I am not sure what to make of Framingham.  A lot of close games this season, looks like they are starting to put it together.  AC is a good team, I think they will be a Tier 2 team by the end of the season.  Flynn could be a superstar by the time she graduates.
    Posted by goodtime19

I agree with you GT, it was a very close game, could have gone either way except for a few mental breakdowns by AHS, that St M's or actually Sab. made AHS pay. Fun to watch and it showed that St Marys is actually beatable, one question is why only 12 skaters?
     AC seems like a lost cause, not sure whats going on there!

SB

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

Probably should have not jinx myself.  So now I am getting ready to leave work, almost made it without being called in.  The message board has been a bit blah lately with Ref and Waiver talk.  For the record I think both are issues, just would not rather waste the time and energy posting about it.  So with that said, what are the top girls leagues this year?

I would say the Middlesex is top for Division 1 teams.  Woburn and Lexington will fight for the league crown and go deep in the MIAA tourney.  Watertown is solid.  D2, Belmont and Stoneham...I think only one of them if any makes the tourney and could come down to their game later this season.  Belmont won 5-1 first time around.

A close second for me is the Merrimack/Dual Lg.  I think Billerica, AB and Arlington will battle for league bragging rights.  Arlington looks built for a post season run.  AB will go as far as young goalie can take them.  Billerica is solid.

Top D2 league without question is Bay State Herget.  If Milton could find a way to support one of the top goalies in the state every team in the Herget would not only make the D2 tourney but have a chance to go to final 4.  Norwood, Walpole and Wellesley will be a heavy weight fight for league.  Natick is very solid and young, watch out for them as a serious contender in next few years.  This year will get them some tourney experience.

Sticking in the Bay State, the Carey is what the Carey is....Braintree and Framingham beating Weymouth, North, Needham and Brookline (only once this year).  Then they play each other and split (second game not played but basing on historical data - last season.) The winner of this side will be the team that gets the most points on the other side of the league.  I give edge to Braintree.  Braintree is a dark horse for post season.  Very tough non league schedule will have them ready to go.  Will be tough draw for the 5-7 seed that draws them.  Framingham is an easy call in my opinion. Get to .500 this week and they probably have enough to go .500 the rest of the way and make tourney as last team in.  If that is the case, they should be competitive in prelim or first round but not expecting a run further than that. 

Catholic Central renamed Mary's and everyone else.  With that said, I think every team in this league will make the post season.  That says a lot about this league.  Their non league games are not push overs either.  But Mary's is still tops.  Is someone going to beat Mary's in the tourney...time will tell.

Catholic Conference is Fontbonne and I don't see any other team making post season.  Some around at .500 and around but rest of their schedules look tough, but hey, that's why they play the games.

The new GEM Central-West is Shrewsbury's.  Gardner and Hudson could make tourney.  Shrewsbury is solid but not expecting a run from them.
    The GEM Northeast is a 2 team race.  Lynn and Marblehead both solid teams playing good non league teams (for the most part).  I think Danvers also qualifies for tourney.

The GBL is 1 team and 1 team only - Medford, who??? I said Medford and watch out they can score.  Question for the post season, can they defend and do they have a proven goalie.  Funny side note, Watertown decline to play a D1 school who is currently a few games below .500.  The AD and coach graciously decline the invite for a non league game stating "we missed the tourney by a few points last year and need to make it in this year."  Someone should have told them taking Medford twice and Natick once might have been a mistake.  Can't always go by last year's records...have to do some due diligence.  3-2 win first game V. Medford but they got 1 more.

Merrimack/Dual small, not too much small about these teams.  South, Westford and CC are for real.  Westford and CC have some nice league wins against the lg schools and some nice non league points.  LS could find there way into the dance.

The Southeast North could be the second best D2 division, there are some D1 schools in the mix as well.  Franklin is solid.  Medfield, Canton (4-3 L to Norwood) and Medway (2-2 tie Canton) will fight for the league title and could go far in the tourney.  One of the 3 could make the final 4.  Westwood is very young, no tourney this year but watch out.
    The Southeast South is Duxbury's for the taking.  Barnstable will be a tough out in the D1 tourney.  WH should be back in the post season (d1).  Hats off to Barnstable for fighting through adversity.  How is Falmouth a D2 school in girls hockey?

Hingham no league, plays all comers and will be in final 8 for sure, 4 probably.  Since Icing has moved on from his weekly poll, I would like to take a shot.  I think now is the perfect time to start polls.  You have a good gauge to make picks and I have had a chance to see 90 percent of the teams I putting in the poll.  So, here is the GT Weekly Six Pack:

Division 1
    Mary's
    Lexington
    Woburn
    Hingham
    Arlington
    AB

Division 2
    Fontbonne
    Duxbury
    Norwood
    Walpole
    Medfield
    Canton

Would love your feedback or constructive criticism.  Hope you enjoy.

Sections
Shortcuts