EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Sleeper -  To answer your question "Why would a player that has busted her butt since she was 5 sit for a senior that puts on the skates for the first time in November?"  That's easy.  No player should sit if she is better.  What I want to know is why the waiver was granted in the 1st place.  AB has a player HS age who is a goalie so why the waiver? - could be its as simple as every team gets to have 2 goalies...... and again it would be great if the MIAA simply made it the rule that 7th and 8th graders can tryout for Varsity. Then it would be the same for every team.  
    Posted by ghockeydad[/QUOTE]

ghockeydad -
    get it straight, AB got a waiver because they didn't have enough HS aged girls to field a team; it has nothing to do with being short at one position (goalie as you think)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : I went to the site they picture 3 goalies and list 20 skaters on roster, no grades that I could find are listed. Any chance that girls are going from prospect to suspect by the time they are juniors and seniors are asked not to join the squad come fall? Such an impressive youth program for girls u10, u12, u14 and they can't field a team unless they get waivers? Not sure about Chemsford but always admired their youth program great coaching and participation.  
    Posted by metrofan[/QUOTE]
    MetroFan -
    You went to the wrong website! If you want to see AB's roster; go to MASSHSHOCKEY.COM and you will be able to see that only 12 players are HS aged.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from metrofan. Show metrofan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : MetroFan - You went to the wrong website! If you want to see AB's roster; go to MASSHSHOCKEY.COM and you will be able to see that only 12 players are HS aged.  
    Posted by Go Beez[/QUOTE]

My next question to you is this did A/B have any cuts this season? Something doesn't add up, a hs school team this successful don't have enough hs aged girls to fill out a team. Weston/Wayland yes they are struggling every year to put a team on the ice, they need waivers. But this should end soon, Medway/Ashland should be at the end of their waiver cycle. It would be like L/S applying for waivers in lax boys or girls they have a very successful youth program players lineup to play in those programs. I am not debating the talent of any of these middle schoolers what I am debating is the rules why is it some teams understand the spirit of the waivers. And some just say hey we have 5 awesome middleschoolers ready for the season this is our chance to make some noise do what we can to tell Junior Jane and Soph. Mary and three others their time came and went all they are going to do is sit so why not just not come out  for the good of the school, win at all costs, best players play screw the rules. If in fact A/B has a hs age goalie on the team and the 8th grader is playing then this is wrong. MIAA is asleep at the switch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : ghockeydad - get it straight, AB got a waiver because they didn't have enough HS aged girls to field a team; it has nothing to do with being short at one position (goalie as you think)
    Posted by Go Beez[/QUOTE]

Beez - "get it straight" - that's what I think we're all trying to do.  I just took the time to read the waiver section of the MIAA Rule Book - and you're correct.  There is no mention of position.  It simply applies the following standards:

85.5.1 The rule works an undue hardship on the student; and

85.5.2 Granting the waiver will not result in an unfair competitive advantage; and

85.5.3 The waiver approval would not cause displacement of another student-athlete from the appellant's own team; and

85.5.4 The waiver would not be in conflict with the general well-being of MIAA interscholastic athletic objectives.

I never suspected that AB (or any other team for that matter) did anything other than look at the waiver rule and apply it to their situation.  Every other school who has less than 17 players should do the same.  If the school administration or coaches won't because they believe that's not the intent of waiver, then they should lobby to change the rule.  Trying to divine the intent of the MIAA or the spirit of the rule is nuts.  Just follow the rule.

My .02 - make 7th and 8th graders eligible.  The policy already allows 7th and 8th graders to play if they share the same building and principal.  I don't see reasoning for that exception.  What does a building and principal have to do with eligibility (is it on the assumption towns combine Jr/Sr HS based on numbers?)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : My next question to you is this did A/B have any cuts this season? Something doesn't add up, a hs school team this successful don't have enough hs aged girls to fill out a team. Weston/Wayland yes they are struggling every year to put a team on the ice, they need waivers. But this should end soon, Medway/Ashland should be at the end of their waiver cycle. It would be like L/S applying for waivers in lax boys or girls they have a very successful youth program players lineup to play in those programs. I am not debating the talent of any of these middle schoolers what I am debating is the rules why is it some teams understand the spirit of the waivers. And some just say hey we have 5 awesome middleschoolers ready for the season this is our chance to make some noise do what we can to tell Junior Jane and Soph. Mary and three others their time came and went all they are going to do is sit so why not just not come out  for the good of the school, win at all costs, best players play screw the rules. If in fact A/B has a hs age goalie on the team and the 8th grader is playing then this is wrong. MIAA is asleep at the switch.

Metro - I seriously doubt that Jr Jane and Soph Mary and 3 others were encouraged not to play.  AB does have a HS age goaltender but the MIAA applies the 4 standards above clearly without regard to position (and the more I think about it, they really can't).  So AB and the other towns who got waivers are doing so w/in the rules and I can't fault them for that. Time for all the towns to do the same or better yet (IMO) let the 7th and 8th graders be generally eligible.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : My next question to you is this did A/B have any cuts this season? Something doesn't add up, a hs school team this successful don't have enough hs aged girls to fill out a team. Weston/Wayland yes they are struggling every year to put a team on the ice, they need waivers. But this should end soon, Medway/Ashland should be at the end of their waiver cycle. It would be like L/S applying for waivers in lax boys or girls they have a very successful youth program players lineup to play in those programs. I am not debating the talent of any of these middle schoolers what I am debating is the rules why is it some teams understand the spirit of the waivers. And some just say hey we have 5 awesome middleschoolers ready for the season this is our chance to make some noise do what we can to tell Junior Jane and Soph. Mary and three others their time came and went all they are going to do is sit so why not just not come out  for the good of the school, win at all costs, best players play screw the rules. If in fact A/B has a hs age goalie on the team and the 8th grader is playing then this is wrong. MIAA is asleep at the switch.

so a goalie in high school, no matter how bad she is, should play...even if a middle schooler is better? No way.

the best thing for girls hockey started a couple of years ago...the Valley League. they finally started a pure girls league. Don;t know what took them so long but this will feed the high school teams...and should help do away with the co-op teams as more and more girls play.

what ever happened to the days when the best players played and the others get cut? Back then federal income taxes were only 10%. God did Jimmy Carter screw this country up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

I guess the MIAA should look at the demographics a bit and see what makes sense.  If only a couple of schools are seeking waivers, perhaps let things stand as is, but if quite a few schools are seeking waivers, then perhaps a systemic change in policy is merited.  From looking over rosters on Masshockey, for those teams who list them, the vast majority of younger kids are listed as 8th graders.  I saw very few if any 7th or 6th graders on those lists (at least in my town, Jr high has 6,7 and 8th grade in it). 

So it might make sense to change the default for Team Eligibility to being 8th grade or more.  For one thing that would reduce the number of teams who have to go thru the process, and it would remove the conflict we see between teams that have different interpretations of the rules.  I do not follow the drama on the boys side as much, but do they also experience the waivers issue? 

With that rule in place, then there would be no question of having the best eligible players playing. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeydad. Show ghockeydad's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : so a goalie in high school, no matter how bad she is, should play...even if a middle schooler is better? No way. the best thing for girls hockey started a couple of years ago...the Valley League. they finally started a pure girls league. Don;t know what took them so long but this will feed the high school teams...and should help do away with the co-op teams as more and more girls play. what ever happened to the days when the best players played and the others get cut? Back then federal income taxes were only 10%. God did Jimmy Carter screw this country up.
    Posted by sleeper3[/QUOTE]

As long as the Jr High Schooler is on the team via legit waiver, then the best player plays.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Beez - "get it straight" - that's what I think we're all trying to do.  I just took the time to read the waiver section of the MIAA Rule Book - and you're correct.  There is no mention of position.  It simply applies the following standards: 85.5.1 The rule works an undue hardship on the student; and 85.5.2 Granting the waiver will not result in an unfair competitive advantage; and 85.5.3 The waiver approval would not cause displacement of another student-athlete from the appellant's own team; and 85.5.4 The waiver would not be in conflict with the general well-being of MIAA interscholastic athletic objectives. I never suspected that AB (or any other team for that matter) did anything other than look at the waiver rule and apply it to their situation.  Every other school who has less than 17 players should do the same.  If the school administration or coaches won't because they believe that's not the intent of waiver, then they should lobby to change the rule.  Trying to divine the intent of the MIAA or the spirit of the rule is nuts.  Just follow the rule. My .02 - make 7th and 8th graders eligible.  The policy already allows 7th and 8th graders to play if they share the same building and principal.  I don't see reasoning for that exception.  What does a building and principal have to do with eligibility (is it on the assumption towns combine Jr/Sr HS based on numbers?)
    Posted by BSHockeyParent[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately they had the opportunity this past June to amend the rule to allow all &th & 8th graders to tryout and the AD's pretty much across the board rejected it. IMHO, an amendment or change to it isn't going to happen under the current regime of AD's, there's just too many who either a) want to keep their current dominant situation by their use of it currently knowing the number of quality teams will remain less by not changing the rule,  or b) don't care whether their girls hockey programs succeed or fail. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Was the proposed change just for Girls Hockey, or was it for all sports.  I am sure there are middle school girls who are "better" than players from high school in pretty much all sports.  Mundane but important things like Logistics and Liability I am sure would enter into thing.   Timing for after school matches, since many times the HS travel bus might be leaving for an away game right around the time Jr High might be getting out of class.  This would clearly be a problem for many outdoor sports where the start times are late afternoon in order to finish before dark.  So some of the AD's might have been uncomfortable with making a ruling that only applied to one sport.  It would not be long before some parent in some school for some other sport would bring a case/lawsuit to get their sport included and then they have the same problem all over again.

By keeping it on a case by case basis they can enforce the rules yet allow exceptions (as are clearly needed for some teams to even field a team in hockey).  Even this season two boys HS teams have folded due to low interest/numbers/injuries.  One before the season started and one last week after a couple of games.  In both cases all the teams on their schedules are now forced to jump thru some hoops. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Unfortunately they had the opportunity this past June to amend the rule to allow all &th & 8th graders to tryout and the AD's pretty much across the board rejected it. IMHO, an amendment or change to it isn't going to happen under the current regime of AD's, there's just too many who either a) want to keep their current dominant situation by their use of it currently knowing the number of quality teams will remain less by not changing the rule,  or b) don't care whether their girls hockey programs succeed or fail. 
    Posted by Hockeymomsrule[/QUOTE]

Amen to that. The AD for my daughter's team last year was a complete moron. He is no longer there...thank God. He wouldn't even scrape the ice between the 2nd and 3rd period...changed practice hours before to accomodate the almighty boys team. It was crazy trying to let all the girls (from 4 towns) know that practice in one rink at 4pm is now practice in another rink at 3:30.

One thing he did make sure of is that the money he collected at the gate was locked up in his lock box and taken right to his house. I'm sure all of it made it to the sports account.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from abgirlsfan. Show abgirlsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : I was there, didn't see Icing, nice job Woburn. They have a solid team, they set up plays to score and can be physical, outstanding goalie. Smh just lost it first regular season lose in 5 years, I think that lose 5 yrs ago may have been Woburn.That would have been the season that they lose to AP in a shoot-out. I can't remember that far back.
    Posted by magellann[/QUOTE]

What's up mister? how goes it? Hope all is well with you and your family. Everything is ok up in Maine.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from abgirlsfan. Show abgirlsfan's posts

Yeah I'm still here and alive. Not much to add to any of this. Just wanted to say hi to all my old friends and enemies. Good luck to all of you this season keep up the good fight of girls HS hockey cause it's an uphill battle.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

[QUOTE]Was the proposed change just for Girls Hockey, or was it for all sports.  I am sure there are middle school girls who are "better" than players from high school in pretty much all sports.  Mundane but important things like Logistics and Liability I am sure would enter into thing.   Timing for after school matches, since many times the HS travel bus might be leaving for an away game right around the time Jr High might be getting out of class.  This would clearly be a problem for many outdoor sports where the start times are late afternoon in order to finish before dark.  So some of the AD's might have been uncomfortable with making a ruling that only applied to one sport.  It would not be long before some parent in some school for some other sport would bring a case/lawsuit to get their sport included and then they have the same problem all over again. By keeping it on a case by case basis they can enforce the rules yet allow exceptions (as are clearly needed for some teams to even field a team in hockey).  Even this season two boys HS teams have folded due to low interest/numbers/injuries.  One before the season started and one last week after a couple of games.  In both cases all the teams on their schedules are now forced to jump thru some hoops. 
    Posted by PetefromNorthofBoston[/QUOTE]

They way I read it Pete, it was girls hockey specific.  It was on the MIAA website in the proposed rule changes for the June meeting last spring. Was curious how the vote turned out and checked up on it late summer and it had "rejected" all over it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

Fortunately, AB was able to keep all w/ no cuts which is great for the 7th & 8th graders who may not dress for games but do get the benefit of practicing everyday with the Varsity

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cager. Show cager's posts

[QUOTE]My 8th grader is better than 1/3 to 1/2 the varsity team in our town IMHO.   I don't want her in the locker room with 11th/12th graders, even though it would improve the team.  Let HS players play, not sit and watch 8th graders.
    Posted by HockeyDad70[/QUOTE]

Best post of the season !  If you don't get this point, you are blinded by the hockey.  

HS sports are about development of a child into an adult.  Middle schoolers mixed with Seniors is not in the younger childs best interest.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cager. Show cager's posts

[QUOTE]sorry, I don't get all of the worry about locker rooms. My daughter was young when she started and it was a great experience for her. the captains were respectful of her age and it never got out of hand. You will ask how would I know if I was never in there? I will counter with how do you if you have never been there? 

It's great that the particular group was respectful.  However, that is not always the case.  

How do we know ?  Because some of the younger kids will ask Mommy, " what do they mean by...... "  How come they want to ......."   etc.   

This can happen in the locker room, bus, lunch room, library, team feasts, etc.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : It's great that the particular group was respectful.  However, that is not always the case.   How do we know ?  Because some of the younger kids will ask Mommy, " what do they mean by...... "  How come they want to ......."   etc.    This can happen in the locker room, bus, lunch room, library, team feasts, etc.
    Posted by cager[/QUOTE]

it made for an unbelievable year. i would think there are more locker rooms like that one than the one you're talkign about...when captains are respectful it makes for a good atmosphere...when they aren't the team suffers tremendously.

1. Woburn
    2. Hingham
    3. AC
    4. AB
    5. ST Marys

top 2 could swap but i believe the goalie will be the difference

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzygirl. Show fuzzygirl's posts

I only wish Woburn and Hingham played a game during the season. Can not predict a team's performance, down the line, when schedule includes teams struggling to win a game. Saint Mary's was a sign that you could be right about the goalie but Hingham's goalie is just starting out as a varsity goalie and has done a marvelous job so far...will only make strides as experience increases. We will have to wait and see if your predictions are acurate. Too early to tell. I can't wait until Duxbury (Div2#1) and Hingham(Div1#1) play...will be a great game. 
    Go Girls and Have Fun!
    Just play your game and everything will fall into place..if meant to be.
    **No one predicted Hingham last year either**
    Good Luck, Have Fun and Don't Get Hurt!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeydad. Show ghockeydad's posts

ESPN rankings for 12/29 out.  They have a better handle on it than B.C.

Their top 10 vs  Mine
    1. Woburn             Hingham - till someone beats them they are still the champ
    2. Duxbury             Duxbury - ditto
    3. Hingham             Woburn
    4. St. Marys Lynn     AB
    5. AB                      AC
    6. Lex                     St. Marys Lynn - 
    7. AC                      Braintree
    8. Arlington              Barnstable 
    9. Dedham               Watertown/Melrose
    10. Barnstable          Dedham - waivering on this one.  only defeated Weymouth by 1. Easily could have replaced them with a cusp team

On the cusp:
    Arlington, Lexington, Walpole, Fontbonne

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

[QUOTE]ESPN rankings for 12/29 out.  They have a better handle on it than B.C. http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/teams/preps/news/story?page=top25magirlshockey Their top 10 vs  Mine 1. Woburn             Hingham - till someone beats them they are still the champ 2. Duxbury             Duxbury - ditto 3. Hingham             Woburn 4. St. Marys Lynn     AB 5. AB                      AC 6. Lex                     St. Marys Lynn -  7. AC                      Braintree 8. Arlington              Barnstable  9. Dedham               Watertown/Melrose 10. Barnstable          Dedham - waivering on this one.  only defeated Weymouth by 1. Easily could have replaced them with a cusp team On the cusp: Arlington, Lexington, Walpole, Fontbonne
    Posted by ghockeydad[/QUOTE]

ESPN.COM is guessing just like we are...just because they put names in their comments means nothing. the new girl at St Mary's is great but to put their hopes only on her will be a problem. SI counldn't close it out for St Mary's last year and the new girl has a long way to go to that level. This is the year that they really needed a goalie and she left. All those great teams with 5 shots against are finally catching up with them. Who wants to sit there and fall asleep while the score ends up 8-0? not many.

They ace in the hole is the coach. He's outstanding. The team at the beginning of the year will NOT be the same team at the end of the year...make the tourney and anything can happen...just ask Winthrop.

happy new year

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeydad. Show ghockeydad's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : ESPN.COM is guessing just like we are...just because they put names in their comments means nothing. the new girl at St Mary's is great but to put their hopes only on her will be a problem. SI counldn't close it out for St Mary's last year and the new girl has a long way to go to that level. This is the year that they really needed a goalie and she left. All those great teams with 5 shots against are finally catching up with them. Who wants to sit there and fall asleep while the score ends up 8-0? not many. They ace in the hole is the coach. He's outstanding. The team at the beginning of the year will NOT be the same team at the end of the year...make the tourney and anything can happen...just ask Winthrop. happy new year

Sleeper I never guess.  I carefully deliberated, had a pot of coffe, put on my blindfold, spun around 3 times then threw the darts.  

Very tough for the good goalies on the best teams to sit around game after game taking a nap waiting for the 3 or 4 quality in season games.  StM (finals), Fontbonne (finals), Norwood (semi - loss in OT to Fontbonne) all in the same boat losing top goaltending. I doubt any of them will make it as far as they did last year year. If they do, hats off to coach because that is what will do it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from magellann. Show magellann's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : What's up mister? how goes it? Hope all is well with you and your family. Everything is ok up in Maine.
    Posted by abgirlsfan[/QUOTE]

All good, Transfered to school in Boston, working on studies and playing some softball.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Well the games are underway again after the christmas break for many teams.  A couple of interesting games last night.  Woburn faced its toughest game yet vs Lexington but ended up prevailing 4-2 (finally giving up some goals) and even falling behind 1-0 and 2-1 in the game before rallying to tie and go ahead to stay.

As league schedules get underway, it will be fun to follow how the teams sort themselves out.  Has SM fallen back to the back, or was that just early season learning curve.  Can Highham and Duxbury maintain their high levels of success or even more so, can Barnestable?! one of the early season success stories.

It even feels like winter now...(or at least it did for a few days...)

Sections
Shortcuts