EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsoxbs. Show patsoxbs's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

In response to "Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012":
    In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Norwood let Wellesley hang around and paid for it with a tie.  Wellesley really need to win this one to stay relevant in bid for Herget title.  Dedham squashed Natick.  Walpole rolled over Milton.  Its a 3 team race.  Walpole's next 2 games:  Dedham, then Norwood.  Dedham can't afford to chalk up another L and Walpole will certainly be looking for revenge after the refs gave the Mauraders a game last year that really set Walpole back.  Norwood provided a bluepring for beating Dedham - double team the freshman.  Should be a good one.  Norwood v Walpole needs no hype.  For these 2 teams its the Hatfields v the McCoys. Posted by BSHockeyParent
    Having seen them all now, I'd put my money on Walpole to win the Herget They have the team speed and a game-changing defenseman. Frankly, I'm surprised Wellesley has hung with the top teams as fully one-half their skaters and their goalie, are freshmen thanks in part to prep transfers. It's great to have closely matched teams throughout the conference--makes for some great hockey games.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012:
    In response to "Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012": Having seen them all now, I'd put my money on Walpole to win the Herget They have the team speed and a game-changing defenseman. Frankly, I'm surprised Wellesley has hung with the top teams as fully one-half their skaters and their goalie, are freshmen thanks in part to prep transfers. It's great to have closely matched teams throughout the conference--makes for some great hockey games.
    Posted by patsoxbs

It will be fun.  Every game between these 3 (Dedham, Norwood, Walpole) should make for quality girls hockey.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeydad. Show ghockeydad's posts

In response to "Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012": Having seen them all now, I'd put my money on Walpole to win the Herget They have the team speed and a game-changing defenseman. Frankly, I'm surprised Wellesley has hung with the top teams as fully one-half their skaters and their goalie, are freshmen thanks in part to prep transfers. It's great to have closely matched teams throughout the conference--makes for some great hockey games.
    Posted by patsoxbs

You might be right.  Walpole pasted Dedham tonight 5-2 and the score could easily have been 7 or 8 to 2.  The Herget showdown comes this Friday when Norwood plays Walpole.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from magellann. Show magellann's posts

Belmont beat Woburn!!  What's up with that?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Belmont has a good team and its only 2 loses were to other good teams, so while surprising, it is not a complete shock.  Woburn has lost some of its early success, perhaps reading too many accolades? Been in some tight games the past week or so that they were able to pull out.  This time they dug too deep a hole for themselves against a solid team.  They might be able to use this set back as a rallying cry, or at least their coach can point out that they have to work hard to stay on top.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

It's official that we aren't going to go winless this year. Yay!  1-0 over NN Saturday. Coaches played musical chairs with the lines for the past 2 games and it seems to have put some fire into a few butts.  Lost to Braintree 2-1 and won over NN 1-0 since the change up. Respectable loss and a hard fought for win. Next up, Arlington Catholic today. :::gulp:::

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HockeyDad70. Show HockeyDad70's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : You might be right.  Walpole pasted Dedham tonight 5-2 and the score could easily have been 7 or 8 to 2.  The Herget showdown comes this Friday when Norwood plays Walpole.  
    Posted by ghockeydad

ghockeydad: agree with you that this game wasn't close.  I wasn't overly impressed with Dedham.  I do however assume that they are better than they showed, but I would take Walpole's top 3 over Dedham's top 3 (mentioned in Globe article last week) by a decent margin.
    Big game next Friday, Walpole @ Norwood.
    But this is still a 3 team race for the Herget.  I don't think Wellesley has enough. (after many departures form last year)
    Interesting season so far, hopefully there are many more good games to come.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

Globe rankings are a joke!  How can AB be ranked #4 behind AC and Duxbury?  AB s/b #1 or 2 (behind Woburn which is a toss-up) after knocking off previous #1 Hingham; compare common opponents of AB and AC (i.e. Fontbonne & Billerica) to see blatant error.  More credible rankings can be found on "masshshockey.com".   Duxbury has played nobody of any significance.  Let's see if ESPN.com gets it right in soon to be released rankings.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HockeyDad70. Show HockeyDad70's posts

Canton beat Norwood 7-5 to even their record at 4-4.  I expected more of Canton this year.  I thought they were solid last year and some good returning players.  So what is the story?  Injuries?  Departures?  Early season slump?
    This win could certainly get them on the right track.
    As for Norwood, looks like they will need to score a lot to go deep this year.  Defensively they are smarting from the departure of a great goalie to Tabor.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from peaceonearth. Show peaceonearth's posts

Canton beat Norwood 7-5 to even their record at 4-4.  I expected more of Canton this year.  I thought they were solid last year and some good returning players.  So what is the story?  Injuries?  Departures?  Early season slump? This win could certainly get them on the right track. As for Norwood, looks like they will need to score a lot to go deep this year.  Defensively they are smarting from the departure of a great goalie to Tabor.
    Posted by HockeyDad70

Canton's goalie is new to the sport and one of their top scorer's just came back from a concussion.  Think they will ramp up the wins now, goalie is gaining confidence and their win over Norwood was a big confidence boost.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeydad. Show ghockeydad's posts

Globe rankings are a joke!   How can AB be ranked #4 behind AC and Duxbury?   AB s/b #1 or 2 (behind Woburn which is a toss-up) after knocking off previous #1 Hingham; compare common opponents of AB and AC (i.e. Fontbonne & Billerica) to see blatant error.   More credible rankings can be found on "masshshockey.com".     Duxbury has played nobody of any significance.   Let's see if ESPN.com gets it right in soon to be released rankings.
    Posted by Go Beez

Gbeez - None of these polls has it right.  MassHockey's is AFU'd.  You might agree with the top 3 or so but go just a bit lower and you'll see Braintee ranked above Norwood (Wamps lost 4 -1) and Dedham ranked above Norwood and Walpole (lost to both of those teams - rather handily).   I don't know how calculate it but its flat out wrong.

Take a look at Jim Clarks Herald RPI poll - best I've seen.  Link is righ there on MassHockey Rank page

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Gbeez - None of these polls has it right.  MassHockey's is AFU'd.  You might agree with the top 3 or so but go just a bit lower and you'll see Braintee ranked above Norwood (Wamps lost 4 -1) and Dedham ranked above Norwood and Walpole (lost to both of those teams - rather handily).   I don't know how calculate it but its flat out wrong. Take a look at Jim Clarks Herald RPI poll - best I've seen.  Link is righ there on MassHockey Rank page
    Posted by ghockeydad

Agreed!  Will do.  Thanks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

The masshockey rating scheme suffers the same early season issues all computer/spreadsheet ranking systems suffer from.  A few early season games can seriously skew the results.  Expect things to normalize in a month as the season enters the end run.  By then most teams will have played a more balanced schedule including more league games.  Teams with inflated records due to playing lesser teams early, seem to be doing better than they really are in a computer model, but once all those teams records start to really reflect how they are doing, the numbers get better.  Not sure how things like D1 vs D2 work in their model thou, since many of the better D2 teams would stand on their own in D1 without problem and do well. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Gbeez - None of these polls has it right.  MassHockey's is AFU'd.  You might agree with the top 3 or so but go just a bit lower and you'll see Braintee ranked above Norwood (Wamps lost 4 -1) and Dedham ranked above Norwood and Walpole (lost to both of those teams - rather handily).   I don't know how calculate it but its flat out wrong. Take a look at Jim Clarks Herald RPI poll - best I've seen.  Link is righ there on MassHockey Rank page
    Posted by ghockeydad

Hey ghd -
    Don't like Jim's Clarkes rankings either; he must be from Deluxebury! Emotions

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kylehockey. Show kylehockey's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Hey ghd - Don't like Jim's Clarkes rankings either; he must be from Deluxebury!
    Posted by Go Beez

If you don't like the rankings, make your own blog and/or post them like people do on here.  It is a persons opinion, nothing more and nothing less.  They can't possibly get to see all the teams. I hope we all don't agree on everything, that would make for very few discussions and playful banter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : If you don't like the rankings, make your own blog and/or post them like people do on here.  It is a persons opinion, nothing more and nothing less.  They can't possibly get to see all the teams. I hope we all don't agree on everything, that would make for very few discussions and playful banter.
    Posted by kylehockey

kyle - it is my opinion that I do not like his rankings, nothing more and nothing less!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilledhockeydad. Show Chilledhockeydad's posts

Seen Belmont, Woburn and Lexington, and most impressed with the scorers on Belmont. Woburn and Lexington have solid, well coached teams, but Belmont has snipers who can find holes and create goals. Did not see Belmont vs Woburn, but not surprised that Belmont could create more goals. Can't wait for the second time through the Middlesex League.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

did anyone see the Ursuline v Arlington Catholic game?  1-1 tie.  Ursuline has been steadily improving.  Did AC get caught napping, was this a breakout game for Ursuline or somewhere in the middle?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

I am betting somewhere in the middle.  An improving defense can shut down a slightly overconfident offense.  AC had been scoring easily in recent games 7,6,6,and 6 goals in their previous 4, giving up only a total of 4 goals.  Easy to be overconfident when facing a lightly regarded team.  Once Ursuline kept it close, they got more confidence and and AC might have struggled.  Pretty much every Ursaline game has been a 1 goal affair, while AC had been winning big for a while.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kylehockey. Show kylehockey's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : kyle - it is my opinion that I do not like his rankings, nothing more and nothing less!
    Posted by Go Beez

Nice use of exclamation point, you really drove home your point to me.  Good luck to all the girls teams playing this weekend!  Predictions for Hingham/St. Mary's.  I'll take a stab, St. Mary's 2 Hingham 1.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

St Mary's seems like they are getting some of their Mojo back.  They shut down a good scoring Lexington team the other day.  Early season hiccups perhaps behind them.  See a score along the lines 3 to 2 St Mary's in the offing. 
    AB has a tough match vs Chelmsford this weekend too.
    Franklin has two tough games (Westford and Algonquin) based on records. 
    Barnstable and Duxbury match up.

Lots of top ten match ups with good teams.  Some sorting out in the pecking order might be the result.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from HockeyDad70. Show HockeyDad70's posts

Walpole 6 Norwood 1.
    Walpole dominated this rivalry game last night at the Ponky rink.  Norwood really missing CF in net.  Is this the same Walpole team that struggled to get past Wellesley and tied Braintree?  Walpole doesn't appear to have a deep team, but the girls they put on the ice certainly can compete.  A couple fo girls have stepped it up to account for the loss of a big senior class last year, including Walpole's best player in their short history, KC.

Writeup from ESPN Boston
    CANTON, Mass. — Walpole girls' hockey head coach Joe Verderber is working in a position of power after the Rebels dominated previously undefeated Norwood with a 6-1 victory last night at Canton Metrolpolis Rink.

The Rebels now have an upper hand in the Bay State Conference division with a 7-0-1 record, and it’s hard to find a better starting backline in Brooke Matherson and Delaney Harrop.

The duo neutralized the speedy Karyn Colomey and Kacie Smith, and kept Mustangs’ captain Hayley O’Rourke off the score sheet and away from the front of the net for the majority of the night.

“They did a phenomenal job of shutting down the front of the net and they held the blue line and red line,” Verderber said. “You ask for a defenseman to step up and keep the play in the other zone and they did a good job of doing that.”

Defense is one thing with the duo of Matherson and Harrop, but its their ability to start offensive rushes from their own zone and get other players involved that might set them apart. Matherson took care of most of the scoring on this night with a hat-trick and several rushes towards the net that led to other scoring opportunities.

“It’s a huge positive,” Verderber said. “Either one of those girls can take the puck at any give point in time and go through anybody. [Matherson] is probably one of the best skaters out there in high school hockey and obviously very talented. We essentially have four or five forwards on the ice at any time.”

Matherson got the second goal of the game when she worked her way to the high slot and Olivia Knight slid her a pass from behind the net. Matherson snapped a wrister past the Mustangs goalie for a 2-0 lead with 3:14 left in the first.

Her second goal was probably her most highlight worthy of the night as she took the puck from her own defensive zone all the way through the neutral zone and snapped one under the crossbar with 3:56 left and a 4-0 lead. The puck just got over the shoulder and actually popped out of the goal, but the referee was in good position to see that the puck actually got under the crossbar and over the goal-line for the tally.

Colomey bang-ed home a rebound at 4:13 of the third period, but Matherson responded to get the five-goal lead back when she sent another wrist shot from the top of the right circle in at 6:57.

“With Brooke a lot of times literally focus in on her and try to shut her down,” said Verderber. “Tonight she was a little more focused on defense and it opened up the ice for her.”

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

Walpole had a relentless attack.  To paraphrase Claude 'the offense is driven from great defensive play' and for Walpole its starts in net with quality goaltending, to a shut down pair of D in Harrop and Matherson, to the high scoring "smurf" line of Barry, Tosone and Knight. 

The Mustangs also boast some very skilled players but they are suffering from PPG (post prep goalie) Syndrome.  I believe that Walpole would have prevailed regardless but we'll never know.  

Walpole controls their own destiny in the Herget and if they don't defeat themselves should end up going very, very deep in the tournament.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilledhockeydad. Show Chilledhockeydad's posts

Second time through the Middlesex Large league will be interesting. The games are getting closer and closer! Arlington, Winchester and Reading are keeping games tight, and Belmont appears to have the most potent offense. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

Weymouth fought back from a 2-0 deficit in the 3rd to tie Walpole.   Very disappointing on a number of levels:  
    1. appeared that Walpole took Weymouth too lightly. 
    2. Walpole clearly had the edge, lots of scoring chances, they just couldn't finish today.
    3. Lazy and atrocious officiating again.  (I'd love to list the bad calls, no calls but you have all seen the same things in your games).  

That said even with the atrocious ref'ing, this is a game that Walpole should have won easily.  

Sections
Shortcuts