EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeydad. Show ghockeydad's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012:
    In response to "Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012": What are your thoughts on Falmouth vs. Westwood, which one could possibly beat Duxbury.
    Posted by sportsforum

going with Falmouth. They don't need to score much to win.  excellent defensive team.  great at disrupting the passing lanes and keeping shooters to the outside.  

Did not know that Falmouth had only dropped to Dux by 1 goal.  If Falmouth gets to final, they have the ability to keep it close and just wait for a mistake.  

Great Braintree win.  Congrats. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

At this point it looks like SM is on a roll and I fully expect them to end up lifting the winners trophey in the garden.  They are "hot".  The other top teams have been playing "well" but have not been hot, which seems to be the key ingredient this year.

I think the Belmont / Duxbury match will be interesting, since they have enough fire power to hang with them and they have shown it in games against other top teams.  It will really probably boil down to who has the sharper goalie on the night.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shoot2score. Show shoot2score's posts

At this point it looks like SM is on a roll and I fully expect them to end up lifting the winners trophey in the garden.  They are "hot".  The other top teams have been playing "well" but have not been hot, which seems to be the key ingredient this year. I think the Belmont / Duxbury match will be interesting, since they have enough fire power to hang with them and they have shown it in games against other top teams.  It will really probably boil down to who has the sharper goalie on the night.
    Posted by PetefromNorthofBoston

Don't give Saint Mary's the game against Hingham so quickly. This might be one of the best games of the year. The two split their two games this year. Agreed that Saint Mary's is not the same team they were early in the year when they had back to back losses against Woburn and Hingham. Should be a good take at the Stoneham Arena on Saturday night.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzygirl. Show fuzzygirl's posts

I have to agree with shoot2score.....Don't count Hingham out so quickly....
    I don't know about your predictioins anymore, PetefromNorthofBoston...you admit they were shot to hell in D1....Foot in mouth

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Well upsets happen. Cry   Its not that Hingham couldn't beat SM, I just don't expect them too.   SM has been scoring 5+ goals a game on average for the last month pretty much, with a number of the games being against "good" teams as well.  Not too many other teams can match that.  Look, I am no personal fan of SM (they've beat Woburn in too many state finals...grrrr), but they have been on a roll.  Teams they barely beat 1-0 and 4-2 in January, they rolled over 9-0 and 8-2 in Feb for example.  Now on any given night in D1 it is clear pretty much anything can happen this year, especially if you have a quality goalie.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

Like no one expected the Giants to beat the Pats a few years back, but it happened, which was probably karma for when the Pats took out the "geatest show on turf" when they won their first superbowl as huge underdogs.  Stuff happens. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

AB just upset by Braintree in OT 4-3!  WOW, what a year for girls hockey
    Posted by yohoapirateslifeforme

creampuff schedule will do it every time...SMH is there every year because FP is not afraid to schedule the best...there's a reason they are peaking at the end of the year.
    I'm still rooting for AC though.

GO AD!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Now sleeper, AB loaded up their out of conference schedule pretty well if you ask me. Not much they can do about the teams in their league.  They had Woburn, SM and Hingham among others as non-league games.  If that is not taking on the challenge, I am not sure anyone could make a schedule that would please you.  When your whole league is only 4 teams like Catholic Central League, it is pretty easy and neccesary to go and schedule a bunch of teams.  A quick look shows at least 6 of their games out of league they scheduled were D2 teams.  (some good, some not so good) So be careful about bragging on their schedule or ragging on the AB one.  (SM for example played 6 ML teams this year, 2 of them very good, 2 good and 2 at the bottom of the standings this season.)  Sometimes at the HS level teams that are on top can quickly fall when a wave of players graduates if they don't have good replacements. 

That being said, they are peaking at the right time. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzygirl. Show fuzzygirl's posts

So...when is the MIAA going to make a Super 8 for the girls? As stated in prior posts, the same teams seem to make it deep into the tournament every year, regardless of the ranking.....The MIAA said they are sending a message to all the boy's coaches: getting into the super 8 is going to be based on strength of schedule in addition to W/L.
    MIAA...if you are reading this...its time to create a "Super 8" for the girls.
    I have to finally cheer on my favorite....
    GO HINGHAM HARBORWOMEN !!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : creampuff schedule will do it every time...SMH is there every year because FP is not afraid to schedule the best...there's a reason they are peaking at the end of the year. I'm still rooting for AC though. GO AD!!!
    Posted by sleeper3

Great job AC...AD with the game winner in OT.

Will beat SM Sunday...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cager. Show cager's posts

Girls games are finally back to back at the Garden on Sunday.  C ya bright and early !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzygirl. Show fuzzygirl's posts

GOOD LUCK TO DUXBURY !
    I hope the Division 1 game is a good, close game.
    Will be good for girls hockey.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from blerch27. Show blerch27's posts

Hey all, sorry I disappeared for a while. Been battling the flu or something the last two weeks. Just wanted to let you know I'll be hosting a live online chat for both girls games Sunday from the Garden so if you can't make it there in person, come chat with me and energize me in the early morning hours - Bruce

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yohoapirateslifeforme. Show yohoapirateslifeforme's posts

Ok, I guess I'll be the only one to say it... CONGRATULATIONS to AC for taking the DIV 1 title.  They went thru the toughest bracket, and withstood OT and Shoot Outs, and were ready to face the team that has consistantly owned them over the past several years. They were prepared and ready, the game was dominated by them. Lets make it clear, they shut down St. M's who briefly seemed sluggish, but ultimetely AC just wasn't letting them in.  They had the perfect St. M game plan, and executed it.  Respect saught and respect deserved.

St. Mary's is a phenomenal team, and will be a force to be reckoned with over the next several years.  The best thing about yesterday's game was it was well reffed, and both teams played with class.  It may not be the Hingham/ST.M rival, but it is just as good, and both these teams deserve recognition for fighting till the end and showing that girls hockey is an awesome game and deserves more from the MIAA.  Sportsmanship was everywhere yesterday, winning and losing with class is what HS sports is all about. 

So again, Congratulations AC, for knowing you would have to go thru the likes of Woburn and St. M's to take the title and doing it with focus and heart.  It was well deserved. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

Ok, I guess I'll be the only one to say it... CONGRATULATIONS to AC for taking the DIV 1 title.  They went thru the toughest bracket, and withstood OT and Shoot Outs, and were ready to face the team that has consistantly owned them over the past several years. They were prepared and ready, the game was dominated by them. Lets make it clear, they shut down St. M's who briefly seemed sluggish, but ultimetely AC just wasn't letting them in.  They had the perfect St. M game plan, and executed it.  Respect saught and respect deserved. St. Mary's is a phenomenal team, and will be a force to be reckoned with over the next several years.  The best thing about yesterday's game was it was well reffed, and both teams played with class.  It may not be the Hingham/ST.M rival, but it is just as good, and both these teams deserve recognition for fighting till the end and showing that girls hockey is an awesome game and deserves more from the MIAA.  Sportsmanship was everywhere yesterday, winning and losing with class is what HS sports is all about.  So again, Congratulations AC, for knowing you would have to go thru the likes of Woburn and St. M's to take the title and doing it with focus and heart.  It was well deserved. 
    Posted by yohoapirateslifeforme

hopefully you're from the MIAA. if so WHY WOULD THE GIRLS NOT HAVE 3 REFS?
    I was happy to see that AC won but 2 refs? Are you kidding me? What's the extra cost $75...what an embarrasment.
    total lack of respect for girls hockey. How wuch did those girls make for you this year in Stoneham? I have to believe that an extra $75 would be covered...this organization should be ashamed. They are a for profit company. Can anyone please start a new company that will compete with these people? I KNOW you'd get the support of 90% of AD's in MA.

Great job by FP this year. clearly not as talented as other teams and still brought them to the final game. AC was dominant from srart to finish. AD with a shorty...made my day.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

One thing the D1 playoffs did show was just how close in overall talent the top teams were this year.  That it was just the matter of a bounce or two in many of those games.  There really was a question of who would actually win many of those games between those teams, and I am sure that if they played best of 3 it would be 2-1, best of five, 3-2 or things like that.  Really close between them all.

Congrats to AC on winning the title. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yohoapirateslifeforme. Show yohoapirateslifeforme's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : hopefully you're from the MIAA. if so WHY WOULD THE GIRLS NOT HAVE 3 REFS? I was happy to see that AC won but 2 refs? Are you kidding me? What's the extra cost $75...what an embarrasment. total lack of respect for girls hockey. How wuch did those girls make for you this year in Stoneham? I have to believe that an extra $75 would be covered...this organization should be ashamed. They are a for profit company. Can anyone please start a new company that will compete with these people? I KNOW you'd get the support of 90% of AD's in MA. Great job by FP this year. clearly not as talented as other teams and still brought them to the final game. AC was dominant from srart to finish. AD with a shorty...made my day.
    Posted by sleeper3

Nope not from MIAA, but the MIAA is covered by having a rule on their tournament rule page stating the girls get 2 refs (and they did an OK job).  The rule would need to be changed.  Agreed, they should have had 3, no doubt, but lets face it, they don't go outside their written rules ever, and even in some cases, using them to fit their needs.  I agree, get rid of them, someone!!!  Everyone go onto the fox news web page and go into the stories section and tell FOX to investigate them, I bet if anyone can find out the ins and outs of this organization it would be them.  But if we just try to use this blog it wont work. 

As far as FP goes, he had two extremelly talented girls (I think one was referred to as a phenom in this blog) from Medford show up at his doorstep, it was just a matter of time this year before they clicked with the 3rd girl on that line.  Kudos to the goalie coach, whoever that is, cause that was what kept them in games, and considering this was her first year with ST. M's that's who should get the medal, she was a GOLDEN FIND.  Much the same with AC coach, who did what she could, but really, having the talents deep on 2 lines, with a 3rd that could score,was a luck of the draw (maybe a new freshman phenom???). Not that the coach's dont deserve credit, they both did a good job taking their teams to the final dance.  Just not sure I would say that ST. M's was "not as talented as other teams", they just had to put a new squad together early on and they did.  FP was still leaving a "hanger" on the blue line during the game, not sure who really wants to win that way, but AC shut that down too! So if that's coaching, good for him, and good for AC coach for recognizing it EVERY TIME and getting it covered. 

AC also obtained a great new Asst. Coach this year, with lots of coaching experience which may have played into the success of this team too.  Seems like MT got it together this year with balance of the lines, and not mix and matching all season as it appeared happened last year.  She will be a great coach for the future of womens hockey though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from HockeyDad70. Show HockeyDad70's posts

anyone know when the All-Scholastics in Herald and Globe are due out?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzygirl. Show fuzzygirl's posts

Congratulations to AC...job well done.

This next comment is for the MIAA, Sports Writers and Parents...
    I only hope there is improvement for Girls High School Hockey!!!!!

Shame on the MIAA for not creating a Super 8 for the girls and treating Girls Hockey as second class citizens...still (Only positive change was putting the girls championship games back to back...finally listened to the AD's, and Coaches). The MIAA needs to improve the quality of ref's or at least make sure they can skate.

Shame on the sports writers for getting many of their "Polls" wrong and not giving the girls the articles they deserve. Boys Hockey still gets all the attention and it is time for that to change. Also, start watching the girls games and report on the play...not just the points. Take into account the team's schedule(hard or what some say"cream puff/cupcake") and not just the Win/Loss stats or how many points players get against challenged goalies.
    (Special Thank you goes out to Bruce for your articles and attention to girls hockey...maybe you could lead the way for more attention to Girls Hockey)

Shame on the parents who gave such negative attention to Girls HS Hockey. Sportsmanship was lost on the idiot with the laser beam and the mom fighting. Also, too many parents with their negative comments in the stands need to grow up and be supportive of the sport..regardless of who wins.

Congratulations to all the hard working girls and parents who have given Girls Hockey a great season with their dedication and sportsmanship. The Hockey Fans appreciate it and I for one enjoyed every minute. Thanks to all of you fellow bloggers for your wonderful comments (some liked more than other)
    THANKS!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yohoapirateslifeforme. Show yohoapirateslifeforme's posts

NICE JOB HINGHAM...  wish my dgt could have participated in this THIS year, but finally, Hingham is putting their money where their mouth is...

March 25th, 2012
    Girls hockey tournament supreme on the horizon for next year
    Posted by Danny Ventura at 12:56 am

By Bruce Lerch

A proliferation of in-season tournaments serves a hallmark of the winter seasons for both hockey and basketball as the calendar is annually filled with exciting matchups during both the holiday season as well as the final week of the regular season.

Girls hockey has been slow to get into the idea of such a showcase with only the end-of-season Cougar Classic, hosted by Notre Dame Academy of Hingham, giving fans a chance to see several teams in action in one venue over several days.

Next winter, fans of the girls game will get a chance to see something they’ve been hoping for during February vacation as Pilgrim Arena will play host to what is being called the Super Eight Pre-Tournament Classic. Hosted by Hingham High School, the field is stocked with eight of the state’s perennial power programs.

Along with the host Harborwomen, the field includes reigning Div. 1 state champion Arlington Catholic, back-to-back Div. 2 state champion Duxbury, and annual contenders St. Mary’s, Acton-Boxboro, Woburn, Lexington and Arlington. Collectively, this group of teams represents every Div. 1 state championship winner since 2007, three teams that have claimed Div. 2 titles, and 14 total state championship appearances in the last six seasons.

Because so many teams have to travel a long distance from the northern part of the state, the tournament will take place over two days with two divisions of four teams, with the second day hosting the championship and consolation games for each.

Sections
Shortcuts