EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012:
    In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Bruce - I cannot argue with the first six and the order of them - might swap 1/2, or 3/4 but they work out fine as those pairs end up on opposite sides either way. For the rest I would go. 7 vs. 10 - Walpole vs. Lexington 8 vs. 9 - Westford Academy vs. Chelmsford Those on the ouside: Winthrop/Lynn has signature win vs. St. Mary's but lost to both Westford Academy and Chelmsford - giving them the nod over W/L. Belmont - tough one here, it came down to them finishing third in the ML large and Lexington finishing second and having all their losses against teams on the list being considered. Having them play Walpole with the good record/weakest schedule seemed the fair way to do it.
    Posted by shoot2score

If you accept Bruce's top 6 then I with you Shoot.  Walpole w/ best schedule has low SoS.  It would be interesting to see how they measure up vs the other teams.  The trouble with the Bay State league is that the D1 Carey is very weak and we in the Bay State typically play a 16 game slate intra-Bay State.  With only 4 games remaining its tough to get 4 high end opponents i.e a StM, a Hingham, Duxbury, AB, etc.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

I think Belmont surprises everyone and goes to finals and upsets Duxbury. Stong team that has played some very good teams and proven they can compete with the best.Goalie is maybe their soft spot.
    Posted by hockeydad2012

Hdad - have not seen Belmot play, have seen Dux.  From what I have seen, for a team to upset Dux, it will require a BIG game from its goaltender.   If Belmon''s goalie doesn't have an A+ game.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeydad2012. Show hockeydad2012's posts

So right BSHP, every team needs that A game from thier goalie in those big games.I haven't seen Dux play but people I know say are excellent and I will go with that. I  am not from Belmont but have seen them play and think it would be a great game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

Beez - how do you really feel about D1 v D2.  You are like an annoying 6 year old who just doesn't know when to stop.  I should do the research but my gut tells me that 9 out of 10 or your posts complains about Dux being over rated, diss'ing D2 or a combination of both. Enough already, we get it.
    Posted by BSHockeyParent

BS -
    Sorry to hear that your kid is on a lousy team team!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : BS - Sorry to hear that your kid is on a lousy team team!
    Posted by Go Beez

beez - what is a team team?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from blerch27. Show blerch27's posts

Both Walpole and Belmont are very legit in D2 and Duxbury knows it will have to earn a title if they are going to win one. Belmont obviously has some marquee wins and a marquee tie while Walpole has consistently handled all comers and for the first time since I can remember, the Herget didn't come down to the final seconds of the last game...lol. Don't forget they played Duxbury to a 4-3 game in the season opener.

I'll have a preview and picks in Monday's paper. In the meantime, I'll be at all three big games this week - AB/St. Mary's, Hingham/Duxbury and AB/Woburn. The latter two will be in the paper, AB/SMH will be on our blog (too late a start to make deadline)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from blerch27. Show blerch27's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Bruce - I cannot argue with the first six and the order of them - might swap 1/2, or 3/4 but they work out fine as those pairs end up on opposite sides either way. For the rest I would go. 7 vs. 10 - Walpole vs. Lexington 8 vs. 9 - Westford Academy vs. Chelmsford Those on the ouside: Winthrop/Lynn has signature win vs. St. Mary's but lost to both Westford Academy and Chelmsford - giving them the nod over W/L. Belmont - tough one here, it came down to them finishing third in the ML large and Lexington finishing second and having all their losses against teams on the list being considered. Having them play Walpole with the good record/weakest schedule seemed the fair way to do it.
    Posted by shoot2score

Love the breakdown, good work. Now you see what I go through every Sunday trying to polls...lol.

Not saying my picks are right, just tossing it out for discussion. The quality of the girls game gets better every year and I promise you are all blessed with a collection of truly outstanding coaches across the state

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from blerch27. Show blerch27's posts

Question for the MIAA experts out there.  Putting together the Herald's Bracketology, updated for subsequent games as shown on MassHSHockey, can we now accurately predict tournament opponents--or at least some of them?  Do this week's tournaments factor in to winning percentage, and therefore the order of the seeding?  For instance, Sandwich lost 5-0 (!) to Ursuline today, does that get included in their win % for seeding, even though it's their 21st game?  If not, Falmouth (7)  vs. Wellesley (10) and Dedham vs. Sandwich (both T-8th) look like match-ups. If the game counts, however, Sandwich and Wellesley would be subject to coin flip, etc. and therefore the order will change over the course of this week, and we can't know the match-ups yet.
    Posted by patsoxbs

Only games that are listed as exclusion games don't count, as has been mentioned already. When teams play more than 20 games, they need more than 20 points to qualify. Same with the few who play 17-18 games, they need less. Think of it as needing enough points to finish at .500 winning percentage (8 wins, 4 ties, 20 game sched equals 20 points and in tourney). Also, tourney games that end in a tie count as ties on the official record used by the MIAA for seeding. They will play OT to determine tourney winner, but the win/loss will not count toward the record.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

The Herald's brackets for girls D1 is off.  For some reason it only shows 24 teams in and excludes Cambridge and Waltham.  I have updated the bracket to accurately reflect what the seedings would look like if the tourney started today.  Coin flips not included and excluding Medway because I think Woburn will eliminate them from post season contention today.  Let me know if I missed something.

http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?edit=1&tid=420803&tclass=

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Only games that are listed as exclusion games don't count, as has been mentioned already. When teams play more than 20 games, they need more than 20 points to qualify. Same with the few who play 17-18 games, they need less. Think of it as needing enough points to finish at .500 winning percentage (8 wins, 4 ties, 20 game sched equals 20 points and in tourney). Also, tourney games that end in a tie count as ties on the official record used by the MIAA for seeding. They will play OT to determine tourney winner, but the win/loss will not count toward the record.
    Posted by blerch27

blerch27, can you reach out to JC? There girls D1 bracket is off.  I let them know yesterday @In_The_Slot but I haven't seen it updated.  They are showing 24 teams in when there are 26.  Thanks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from blerch27. Show blerch27's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : blerch27, can you reach out to JC? There girls D1 bracket is off.  I let them know yesterday @In_The_Slot but I haven't seen it updated.  They are showing 24 teams in when there are 26.  Thanks.
    Posted by goodtime19

Disregard what I said before. I let JC know. Little glitch in the spreadsheet that didn't show the last bracket for some reason. He's fixing it tonight

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : BS - Sorry to hear that your kid is on a lousy team team!
    Posted by Go Beez

you know what beez reading this again, I've come to the conclusion that you are an immature bore.  feel free to respond right after I post this, I'm hitting the ignore button for you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

Goodtime. Woburn coach must have relatives over in Medway, 0-0.
     So Medway just squeaked in, the girls must be thrilled.

Also, what am I doing wrong when I copy and paste the bracketmaker site? I get "You do not have privileges to access this area." even when I'm logged in .

WT

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from flyerhockeyman. Show flyerhockeyman's posts

FYI    Watertown/Melrose 4 - Winthrop/Lynn 2

Pats if you scroll up on this message board you will see the answer to your questions.  Quick answer is yes these games still count towards win percenatage and as for the over 20 games that should be answered in the older posts above.  Coin flips for any teams with same win percentage.  Most of games will be set by Friday night and officially announcements are Saturday. I think Woburn is going to finish with number 1 seed.  I think the will beat Medway and AB.  I think AB is going 0-2 against Mary's and Woburn. Could see Hingham losing to Duxbury and finishing with a 9 seed and getting Watertown preliminary round.  I think Watertown could go 0-2 against Mary's and Lynn down stretch and get 24 seed Top 6 teams get a bye; my projected 1-6 Woburn Acton-Boxboro Westford Academy St Marys Lynn Arlington Catholic Winthrop/Lynn D2 according to @In_the_Slot's brackets got to love Belmont's road.  They should be in the final 4. Norwood has a tough road as they have Westwood or Canton. Duxbury - Walpole for D2 championship?
    Posted by goodtime19

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from blerch2727. Show blerch2727's posts

Goodtime. Woburn coach must have relatives over in Medway, 0-0.  So Medway just squeaked in, the girls must be thrilled. Also, what am I doing wrong when I copy and paste the bracketmaker site? I get "You do not have privileges to access this area." even when I'm logged in . WT
    Posted by wtcash

Take it easy on Woburn. From what I was told, Medway/Ashland simply kept five in the D zone all night and had 3 shots. All they needed was one point, smart strategy call.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

Wow, what a day of games yesterday.  I am shocked Medway was able to draw a 0-0 tie with Woburn.  Even given the strategy they employed I still would have figured Woburn would have got 1.  Nice job Medway.

I was also pleasantly surprised with Watertown's win over Lynn.  I am now eagerly awaiting Friday's showdown with Mary's.  It really seems it may be anyone's guess for D1 title.  Mary's is hot at the right time.  They look like they are ready to make a deep post season run.  AB gets Woburn next so we will see how they will rebound.

Looking @In_The_Slot's D1 bracket and standings you can see if AB loses to Woburn there will be a 3 way tie for the number 1 seed.  Westford, AB and Woburn.  I don't think I would want the 1 seed looking at the teams in that bracket:
    Billerica
    Watertown
    Arlington
    Hingham
    Win/Lynn

The 2 seed bracket looks a bit easier.  Braintree, Wakefield and Chelmsford are good teams but not the caliber of teams in the 1 seed bracket.

The 3 seed bracket would appear to shape up for a Lexington v 3 seed in the quarters.

The 4 seed bracket could bring AC v Mary's

Should be a fun last 2 days of the season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

I was guesssing it might be something like that.  Woburn scores a lot on odd man rushes and counters and steals.  While they have some superior skaters and scorers, but even the best players in the world have trouble scoring when the ONLY focus of the opposing team is to defend.  Since Medway/Ashland was right on the cusp of qualifing, it was obvious that this was their best chance.  Medway has not been lighting up the nets this season, and Woburn has a very good goalie in the nets.  When I saw the score I wondered about the shot count and metally pegged it at something like 20+ to 5, but if it was only 3, that is even more defensive turtle than I thought.

Do the MIAA games end in OT, or do they go to a shootout?  Could this kind of total turtle strategy possibly work to get games to shootouts?  Especially in an early round game with a 16 vs 1 seed?  If they thought they had a goalie who might be able to win a shootout?  Ugly hockey, but it might win the game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

I was guesssing it might be something like that.  Woburn scores a lot on odd man rushes and counters and steals.  While they have some superior skaters and scorers, but even the best players in the world have trouble scoring when the ONLY focus of the opposing team is to defend.  Since Medway/Ashland was right on the cusp of qualifing, it was obvious that this was their best chance.  Medway has not been lighting up the nets this season, and Woburn has a very good goalie in the nets.  When I saw the score I wondered about the shot count and metally pegged it at something like 20+ to 5, but if it was only 3, that is even more defensive turtle than I thought. Do the MIAA games end in OT, or do they go to a shootout?  Could this kind of total turtle strategy possibly work to get games to shootouts?  Especially in an early round game with a 16 vs 1 seed?  If they thought they had a goalie who might be able to win a shootout?  Ugly hockey, but it might win the game.
    Posted by PetefromNorthofBoston

Ugly hockey but a workable strategy.  Hard to believe that Woburn couldnt put 1 in though.  Anyone know the actual # of shots Woburn got on net?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzygirl. Show fuzzygirl's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Ugly hockey but a workable strategy.  Hard to believe that Woburn couldnt put 1 in though.  Anyone know the actual # of shots Woburn got on net?
    Posted by BSHockeyParent

I have to agree...ugly hockey...but it worked...I would hope that this "strategy" isn't used during the tournament. Now that the coaches see it could work.
    Now in the tournament...I hope Medway will play some hockey.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

I'll know later today when I see the local box score writeup.  Woburn has had a few games where they have been peppering the opposing goalie with shots, but very few get past.  Probaby easy shots right at the goalie, which are easy stops.  (Perhaps some of the same syndrome I used to see in soccer where the shooter is looking right at the goalie and shoots, RIGHT AT THE GOALIE!...sigh.  Shoot at the net, the open parts of the net, not the goalie....)  I think they had a few 40 shot games. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Well looked around and found this elsewhere...

Kathryn Hamer made 30 saves and Medway/Ashland (8-8-4) battled Woburn to a 0-0 tie in nonleague action that allowed the co-op team to qualify for the postseason. . . 

0 for 30 is pretty dang low.  I do note however that M/A has been in a lot of low scoring games recently so perhaps a focus on D has been working for them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shoot2score. Show shoot2score's posts

Looking through what is left for games I have two sets of projections for seedings. One if A/B either wins or ties vs. Woburn and locks up the #1 seed, and two if Woburn wins and creates a 3 way tie for the #1 seed with A/B and Westford Academy.

#1 Based on A/B Getting a point vs. Woburn:
    1 -A/B
    2 -Westford Academy
    3 - St. Mary's
    4 - A/C
    5 - Woburn
    6 - Chelmsford
    7 & 8 Tie - Winthrop/Lynn and Algonguin-Hudson
    9 - Hingham (gets in to the tie at above with a win vs. Duxbury)
    10 - Braintree
    11 & 12 Tie - Lexington and Franklin
    13 - Barnstable
    14 & 15 Tie - Weymouth and Wakefield
    16 - Billerica
    17 - Marblehead/Swampscott
    18 - Shrewsbury
    19 - Watertown/Melrose
    20 - Springfield Cathedral
    21 - Beverly/Danvers
    22 & 23 Tier - Masco Co-op and Wayland/Weston
    24 - Cambirdge/Somerville
    25 - Arlington
    26 & 27 Tie - Waltham & Medway Ashland

#1 Based on Woburn beating A/B:
    1, 2 & 3 Tier- A/B, Westford Academy & Woburn
    4 - St. Mary's
    5 - A/C
    Everything below 5 stays the same (could be some changes if some games today or tomorrow come out differently.

Should be an interesting tournament as 8 or 9 teams may have a legitimate shot at winning it all.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from HockeyDad70. Show HockeyDad70's posts

In a meaningless last game of the regular season today, Canton played like it meant something, beating Walpole 3-2.  I thought Canton's rookie goalie stood tall between the pipes.  With a little help from her 5 best friends, left post, right post, crossbar and the two blind mice.  Actually refs were very good for 38 minutes, probably the best we have had all year.  Unfortunately all good things must come to an end.  In this case those two things were an 18 game unbeaten streak for Walpole and good refereeing, as the ref furthest away blew his whistle while 100 feet away from the net as the puck lay unattended and uncovered as a Walpole forward tapped it home for the apparent tying goal with about 5 minutes to play.  Thank goodness the laziness of the ref occurred in a regular season game and not the playoffs.  I'd hate to see any team have that happen to them in an elimination game.

Nice job by Canton treating this game like a playoff game.  For Walpole, hopefully this will ramp up the intensity for their next game.
    Good luck to all in the playoffs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

In a meaningless last game of the regular season today, Canton played like it meant something, beating Walpole 3-2.  I thought Canton's rookie goalie stood tall between the pipes.  With a little help from her 5 best friends, left post, right post, crossbar and the two blind mice.  Actually refs were very good for 38 minutes, probably the best we have had all year.  Unfortunately all good things must come to an end.  In this case those two things were an 18 game unbeaten streak for Walpole and good refereeing, as the ref furthest away blew his whistle while 100 feet away from the net as the puck lay unattended and uncovered as a Walpole forward tapped it home for the apparent tying goal with about 5 minutes to play.  Thank goodness the laziness of the ref occurred in a regular season game and not the playoffs.  I'd hate to see any team have that happen to them in an elimination game. Nice job by Canton treating this game like a playoff game.  For Walpole, hopefully this will ramp up the intensity for their next game. Good luck to all in the playoffs.
    Posted by HockeyDad70

That was not a meaningless contest for Canton.  With the win they are now tied for the 11 seed with Scituate (13-7).  The 11th seed does not have to play in the preliminary round game either.  And the 11th seed has a very good Belmont team but not much else in that bracket.  The 12 seed has to play Ursuline in preliminary round, then Westwood and then Norwood.  Canton gave themselves a coin flip by defeating Walpole.  If Canton lost they would have been tied with Vineyard.  If they lost coin flip they would have seen Norwood in first round.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from peaceonearth. Show peaceonearth's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : That was not a meaningless contest for Canton.  With the win they are now tied for the 11 seed with Scituate (13-7).  The 11th seed does not have to play in the preliminary round game either.  And the 11th seed has a very good Belmont team but not much else in that bracket.  The 12 seed has to play Ursuline in preliminary round, then Westwood and then Norwood.  Canton gave themselves a coin flip by defeating Walpole.  If Canton losHet they would have been tied with Vineyard.  If they lost coin flip they would have seen Norwood in first round.
    Posted by goodtime19

Good, looks like the MV-Westwood game could have impact in D2 as well.  If Westwood loses looks to me like they will trade places in the bracket with Belmont.  If they tie they are in a coin flip with Belmont.  MV win puts them in a 3 way tie with canton and scituate.  Is this your take?  Kind of like when the last game can impact - keeps it interesting . . .

Sections
Shortcuts