EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012:
    [QUOTE]Beez - I want to see the Dux Hingham game.   What rankings are you using?  Masshockey?  Usually by this time of year the MH rankings are pretty spot on but not this year.  Something is amiss. Just looking at the D2 rankings will show you that its afu'd.  Belmont ranked at #8. Worse case scenario they should be 3. Wellesley ranked #2? Dedham #7?   Then if you look at the overall rankings it gets even worse.   Jim Clark's Herald RPI poll is my vote for the best (although he hasn't updated it in a week.   https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtcSo_lJMUKtdERya0xacVNkZmFhbFhLeHNvR3RIMXc&hl=en_US#gid=0
    Posted by BSHockeyParent[/QUOTE]
    Hey BSHP -
    You're right, I'm looking at the masshshockey.com "women's overall" rankings.  I agree that both Belmont & Walpole s/b ranked higher.  I think Jim Clarke may be from Duxbury; if you read his ranking criteria and then look at the cupcake schedule that Duxbury and their D2 opponents play (looks like he is taking advantage of a "adjustments" component of rankings formula and giving it some heavy weighting!).  Go Pats!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ko0brunette65. Show ko0brunette65's posts

[QUOTE]Globe rankings are a joke!   How can AB be ranked #4 behind AC and Duxbury?   AB s/b #1 or 2 (behind Woburn which is a toss-up) after knocking off previous #1 Hingham; compare common opponents of AB and AC (i.e. Fontbonne & Billerica) to see blatant error.   More credible rankings can be found on "masshshockey.com".     Duxbury has played nobody of any significance.   Let's see if ESPN.com gets it right in soon to be released rankings.
    Posted by Go Beez[/QUOTE]

The Globe rankings change on a week-to-week basis. Strength of schedule, strength of goaltending or offensive lines (compared to other teams) and individual players, league records, division, etc. are all taken into account. Arlington Catholic has the power, swiftness and was one of the few undefeated teams (until recently). They're are an aggressive team and have a good chance in the tournament. The Globe rankings are not list of numbers or percentages because several other factors must be looked at. 

Acton-Boxboro is also a strong program but the only deciding factor in switching the two will be because of AC's loss to St. Mary's. On paper, they look equal but the play on the ice differs. Duxbury stays at the top because they will most likely be heading to the D2 State Final. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

I see Arlington took care of Belmont 3-0, and Watertown dominated Wakefield 6-1 and I wonder how the PIM was over in the Stoneham/Wilmington match up? Still waiting on Woburn-Lex. and AB-Braintree. Hingham took care of Sandwich...Can anybody tell me why Franklin is ranked 6th on masshshockey??

Peaceonearth there's also a few other ESPN notes that are not about the team that they are ranking, not sure who's writing or getting the info but I wouldn't be counting on there input!!

WT

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scooter8. Show Scooter8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Scooter - Sandwich(#27), Falmouth(#33), Canton(#23), Ursuline(#56 that lost to #57 BL)!  Come on, all are very weak teams.  Duxbury has a "creampuff" of a schedule compared to any D1 team.  I will give them credit for a close win over Walpole (which appear to be pretty good) and half credit for shutout of Barnstable who I have seen and am not impressed with! We'll truly see how good Duxbury is when they play Hingham and SM.  Good Luck! 

Interesting.  Acton Boxboro has been playing some serious wagons too...#57 Boston Latin, #61 Newton North, #37 Wayland/Weston, #30 LS, #27 Waltham...Phew.  Those are testers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

Scooter8, I will say both have had some light games but those teams seem to be in there own league which they have to play. I will give the edge to AB when comparing the outside league games, they are a lot tougher, Arl. Hingham, Braintree, coming up is SMH, Woburn.
     Duxbury's a good team (should be up in Div. 1 but...) they will get tested vs. Hingham and SMH  in a week or so.
    I don't believe they've been really tested so far, why didn't they play ranked teams earlier instead of at the end of their schedule?

WT

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Interesting.  Acton Boxboro has been playing some serious wagons too...#57 Boston Latin, #61 Newton North, #37 Wayland/Weston, #30 LS, #27 Waltham...Phew.  Those are testers.
    Posted by Scooter8[/QUOTE]
    Scooter -
    I agree those teams that you point out aren't very good (don't know where you came up with Wayland/Weston? you don't happen to write the short summaries for ESPN rankings? Smile ); although, they are teams in our league that they are req'd to play; you're the one bragging about how Duxbury beats weak teams. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzygirl. Show fuzzygirl's posts

I have been reading your posts...and you wonder why this site is not getting the amount of posts from last year....Only talking about "rank".
    The rankings mean nothing.
    Everyone knows who the "good" teams are and if they loose a tough one
    once in awile, these rankings knock them down the list.
    Please, it only comes down to getting into the tournament and winning then.
    If a team can perform then...then they deserve to win.
    Last year Division One was dominated by SM. Well, they did have some
    close games and mostly against Hingham and Braintree. Hingham was Ranked 8....where they really "8"?
    and was a team like Medford really "9".
    Duxbury is that good....Sure they can loose a game...things happen
    but posting your rankings and thinking it matters is something to talk about.
    Duxbury can score, descent goal tending, good defense..Watch them sometime and you'll wonder why they are "good". It's not because they have only played ...what was said---CUPCAKES. Sad,sad comment.
    Also, seems like you all are from the North shore and don't see many south shore teams play...like Duxbury.
    Who cares where ESPN,Boston,Herald,MaHockey rank people.
    And who cares where you rank them..the finals are what matter.
    Find something else to complain about...please
    Watch a game and the score doesn't always tell the story.
    Hope I added something to actually talk about.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scooter8. Show Scooter8's posts

[QUOTE]Scooter8, I will say both have had some light games but those teams seem to be in there own league which they have to play. I will give the edge to AB when comparing the outside league games, they are a lot tougher, Arl. Hingham, Braintree, coming up is SMH, Woburn.  Duxbury's a good team (should be up in Div. 1 but...) they will get tested vs. Hingham and SMH  in a week or so. I don't believe they've been really tested so far, why didn't they play ranked teams earlier instead of at the end of their schedule? WT
    Posted by wtcash[/QUOTE]

Rumor has it that many were asked to add Duxbury to their schedules but they declined. Hmmm...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scooter8. Show Scooter8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Scooter - I agree those teams that you point out aren't very good (don't know where you came up with Wayland/Weston? you don't happen to write the short summaries for ESPN rankings?  ); although, they are teams in our league that they are req'd to play; you're the one bragging about how Duxbury beats weak teams. 

OK...uncle...you got me.  AB is tops.  Duxbury (or as you say Deluxbury) is just an OK team with OK players playing weak opponents.  AB all the way!  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : OK...uncle...you got me.  AB is tops.  Duxbury (or as you say Deluxbury) is just an OK team with OK players playing weak opponents.  AB all the way!  
    Posted by Scooter8[/QUOTE]
    Scooter -
    I never said Duxbury was weak; I'm sure they are very good.  It's too bad that they are not D1, when they should be; being in D2 does not help them via playing a weak schedule.  I would love to see a Duxbury/AB matchup; I'm sure it would be a very good game.  I guarantee you AB's coach would have jumped at the opportunity to play Duxbury as he did when filling out the schedule with Hingham, Fontbonne (good last year!), Braintree, Woburn & St Marys.
    Go Pats!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

fuzzygirl, the reason that this site is here is to put any disagreement, opinion or  compliment out on the table.
    What else are we gonna talk about, its all about High School girls hockey, whether good or bad.

WT

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

There are about 3 weeks left in the high school hockey regular season.  The tourney is looming around the corner and here is a snapshot of D1 and D2 teams in the hunt.

In D1 it looks like between a 23 and 25 team field.  There are 21 teams either in or within 3 points of qualifying.  I think Marblehead and Masco will get in as well.  Medway/Ashland and Springfield are my bubble teams.  Wakefield and Andover I think will not make cut. 
    23 teams = seeds 1-9 Bye
    24 teams = seeds 1-8 Bye
    25 teams = seeds 1-7 Bye

As the season winds down, I will go more in depth as to who is fighting for a bye, fighting to get in and what potential preliminary round games look like.

In D2 it appears 14 teams are either in or within 3 points of qualifying.  I think the field will be between 16 - 19 teams.  Canton and Stoneham should get in.  The Vineyard, NDA and Joes and are on bubble.  CC is out.
    16 teams = no prelim round
    17 teams = 16 v 17 prelim
    18 teams = 15 v 18 & 16 v 17 prelim
    19 teams = 14 v 19 & 15 v 18 & 16 v 17 prelim

It should be fun watching these teams down the stretch. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Goodtime, does your D2 list factor in that D1 games might not count against a record for a D2 team?  I know stuff like that messes up with seeding in other sports all the time when a team with a 7 and 13 record qualifies since they were 6 and 5 vs same division level foes and 1 and 8 vs higher level divisions.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

[QUOTE]Goodtime, does your D2 list factor in that D1 games might not count against a record for a D2 team?  I know stuff like that messes up with seeding in other sports all the time when a team with a 7 and 13 record qualifies since they were 6 and 5 vs same division level foes and 1 and 8 vs higher level divisions.
    Posted by PetefromNorthofBoston[/QUOTE]

The way that works is as follows: Rule 95.3.2

In leagues where a team's schedule is comprised of more than seventy percent (70%) of higher division schools, and there is no small and large breakout (Middlesex Sm. and Lg.), all league and non-league contests played against equal and/or lower divisions may solely be considered in the fifty percent (50%) qualifying criteria. Schools may also access the 70% tournament qualifying opportunity if a league is aligned by enrollment BUT the league requires cross-scheduling to the extent that at least 70% of the school’s total required opponents are in a higher tournament division.

I took a quick glance at D2 and don't think it will occur this season.  Some other points to note for seeding and post season eligibility:

Exclusionary Game Rule:

1. The exclusion form MUST BE submitted for games against any of the listed school to NOT COUNT toward tournament qualification
    2. If games versus exclusion school are to be counted towards the seeding record, it is not necessary to submit the exclusion form.
    3. If an exclusion form is submitted, the decision is final and the game will not count. This decision may not be changed.

The only 2 Exclusion games this season were:
    Ursuline v AP 12/13
    AB v Fontbonne 12/10

Rule 95.3.3

All league champions, regardless of winning percentage. This includes co-championships.

Rule 95.3.4

Runner-up or multi-runners-up in leagues of five or more teams, provided the league has a single champion. In the case of multi-champions, no runner-up will automatically qualify.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from flyerhockeyman. Show flyerhockeyman's posts

Kudos to Watertown/Melrose Forward Erika Kelly for registering her 200th career point last week

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

[QUOTE]Kudos to Watertown/Melrose Forward Erika Kelly for registering her 200th career point last week
    Posted by flyerhockeyman[/QUOTE]
    Congrats to Erika!  That's very impressive; avg of 50 pts per year and not done yet.  Where is she going to play next year?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeydad. Show ghockeydad's posts

Goodtime19 - thx.  Do you know the formula for the seedings?  From what I could see last year, it appeared to be based mostly on Win / Loss record.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

[QUOTE]Goodtime19 - thx.  Do you know the formula for the seedings?  From what I could see last year, it appeared to be based mostly on Win / Loss record.  
    Posted by ghockeydad[/QUOTE]

IT'S ALWAYS BASED STRICTLY ON WINNING %.
    IF YOU PRINT OUT THE MASS HOCKEY STANDINGS YOU CAN GO RIGHT DOWN THE LIST.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeydad. Show ghockeydad's posts

Geez Sleeper you don't have to SCREAM :-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeydad2012. Show hockeydad2012's posts

erika is going to play field hockey in college

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

[QUOTE]erika is going to play field hockey in college
    Posted by hockeydad2012[/QUOTE]
    That's too bad (for women's hockey)!  What college?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilledhockeydad. Show Chilledhockeydad's posts

Anyone see the Belmont - Arlington game last week? Curious what it is Arlington can do (twice) to shut down the Belmont offense that both Woburn and Lexington can't. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone see the Belmont - Arlington game last week? Curious what it is Arlington can do (twice) to shut down the Belmont offense that both Woburn and Lexington can't. 
    Posted by Chilledhockeydad[/QUOTE]

Goalie that looks like she's 6'4" could have been a big part of reason.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

[QUOTE]Geez Sleeper you don't have to SCREAM :-)
    Posted by ghockeydad[/QUOTE]

ghockeydad. In addition to the INFORMATION that Sleeper provided, you should know that ties are decided by coin flip.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeydad. Show ghockeydad's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : ghockeydad. In addition to the INFORMATION that Sleeper provided, you should know that ties are decided by coin flip.
    Posted by ghockeyfan[/QUOTE]

THANkS! to both you and sleeper