EMASS Girls Hockey 2012-2013

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mm3766. Show mm3766's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2012-2013

In response to ghockeydad's comment:

GoodTime - where did you hear about the Girls All Star event?  Really interesting.

Baystate Herget -  I believe its Wellesley's to lose.  Walpole is the only team that could upset them but I doubt it happens.  Walpole eked out a tie with Wellesleybut Wellesley was missing their top D, Goss.  She is easily in the discussion as one of top D in D2.  Norwood doesn't have the goaltending to to keep up.  They got wacked by Wellesely 8-2.  Personally, I think Milton, Dedham and Natick will be lucky to make the tournament.

Baystate Carey - I'm giving the nod to Framingham over Braintree.

Big Falmouth win over Duxbury.  Almost wish they hadn't won.  I'm afraid this will wake Duxbury up.   Hope I'm wrong.  

Agree with you on the top 5 D2 but to put them in order

Dux

Falmouth

Wellesley

Walpole / Canton pickem

Walpole is awful. Norwood dominated them!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pp29. Show pp29's posts

In response to peaceonearth's comment:

In response to hockeychrishna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

falmouth certainly was the better team.  but not by the 5 goal margin.  shots were even.  walpole goalie had a tough time early, letting in 2 very bad goals of the 3 goals in first 5 minutes.  totally set the tone.  falmouth goalie was solid.  falmouth very deep with quite a few good players.  hs coaches dream, good players, not great so they stay public together.

if i am the goalie, i look long and hard at a prep school, could get noticed.

running sprints after the game was stupid.  walpole played hard, they just don't have enough talent or should i say depth?  their top few players looked better than falmouth's but it wasn't close to enough.  walpole coach sending the mesage that the girls didn't play hard, which i totlally disagree with.  he could have done the same thing against norwood last saturday, that game walpole did not show up.

Falmouth was the better team, as you said, but agree not by 5 goals.  Walpole coach IS a moron and got completely outcoached by Norwood coach on Sat.  He made them sprint after that game too, which by the way, most of the girls didn't play as hard as they could.  Still, stupid move by him, since he got outcoached.

Walpole's issues are multi level.  1) Poor coaching which leads to 2) poor practice regimen and 3) lack of depth, little or no talent from freshman class and loss of 2 to prep school and 1 to graduation.  Lack of discipline on the ice, poor, if any, passing and only 1 D who can actually play isn't going to win you games against the tough teams.  Some of these areas can be fixed but it's going to take a team effort.  Right now, doesn't look like they are playing like a team.

Wow, someone has an axe to grind!  By your own statements, they have no D, no depth, no freshman, and  from other comments on this forum, a goalie who lets in soft goals.  You state he made them sprint after a game in which most of the girls didn't skate hard.  I'd think you'd be happy that he used the ice after the game instead of during practice where they obviously need to work on discipline, passing and their D and working together as a team.  

I agree with PetefromNorthofBoston-coach probably thought they didn't work hard, as you stated, and the coach chose to skate them then, not as a punishment for a loss, but because they didn't play the full game.  As all of us know, ice costs are a premium and instead of using practice ice for sprints, use the extra time at the end of the game.  Suck it up.

Also, after checking MA hockey, 5-2-1 isn't so bad with all the "obvious" problems you've stated. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from peaceonearth. Show peaceonearth's posts

In response to pp29's comment:

In response to peaceonearth's comment:

In response to hockeychrishna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

falmouth certainly was the better team.  but not by the 5 goal margin.  shots were even.  walpole goalie had a tough time early, letting in 2 very bad goals of the 3 goals in first 5 minutes.  totally set the tone.  falmouth goalie was solid.  falmouth very deep with quite a few good players.  hs coaches dream, good players, not great so they stay public together.

if i am the goalie, i look long and hard at a prep school, could get noticed.

running sprints after the game was stupid.  walpole played hard, they just don't have enough talent or should i say depth?  their top few players looked better than falmouth's but it wasn't close to enough.  walpole coach sending the mesage that the girls didn't play hard, which i totlally disagree with.  he could have done the same thing against norwood last saturday, that game walpole did not show up.

Falmouth was the better team, as you said, but agree not by 5 goals.  Walpole coach IS a moron and got completely outcoached by Norwood coach on Sat.  He made them sprint after that game too, which by the way, most of the girls didn't play as hard as they could.  Still, stupid move by him, since he got outcoached.

Walpole's issues are multi level.  1) Poor coaching which leads to 2) poor practice regimen and 3) lack of depth, little or no talent from freshman class and loss of 2 to prep school and 1 to graduation.  Lack of discipline on the ice, poor, if any, passing and only 1 D who can actually play isn't going to win you games against the tough teams.  Some of these areas can be fixed but it's going to take a team effort.  Right now, doesn't look like they are playing like a team.

Wow, someone has an axe to grind!  By your own statements, they have no D, no depth, no freshman, and  from other comments on this forum, a goalie who lets in soft goals.  You state he made them sprint after a game in which most of the girls didn't skate hard.  I'd think you'd be happy that he used the ice after the game instead of during practice where they obviously need to work on discipline, passing and their D and working together as a team.  

I agree with PetefromNorthofBoston-coach probably thought they didn't work hard, as you stated, and the coach chose to skate them then, not as a punishment for a loss, but because they didn't play the full game.  As all of us know, ice costs are a premium and instead of using practice ice for sprints, use the extra time at the end of the game.  Suck it up.

Also, after checking MA hockey, 5-2-1 isn't so bad with all the "obvious" problems you've stated. 

Just so you know, I do not agree with punishing the girls with sprints under any circumstances after a loss.  Although I don't think that they skated as hard as they could (many were sick as is the case with almost every team right now) the issues the team is dealing with have been evident in every game.  He has not addressed it in practice.  As I stated, some of these issues can be fixed.  Norwood coach completely juggled his lines and had his girls ready to play after a bad loss to Wellesley.  Starts at the top . . .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pp29. Show pp29's posts

POE:  So what is it going to be?  Were they sick and thus didn't skate hard, or just didn't skate hard?  Either way, I think we are of 2 different opinions on the sprints.  You believe done for a punishment for a loss, while I think done for the above reason.  Didn't skate hard.  Period.  As to that, I heard they skated after almost every home game last year win or lose.  Probably will start back to that again especially since it is evident that conditioning is an issue. I can remember back to HS and college when if you didn't play hard, you sprinted.  End of story.  

As for the Norwood and Falmouth loss, why change lines when going into Norwood when your  record was 5-0-1? And the tie was against an unarguably strong Wellesley team. As for Norwood changing their lines after Wellesley, if they did or not, they obviously had to do something, they got hammered. What coach wouldn't? After the Norwood/Walpole game, where Norwood had the game of their lives, and Walpole had one of the worst of theirs, that loss occured on a Saturday and they played Falmouth on Monday, with no practice in between.  I did notice, however, a couple lines changed up. How much could really be done?

Obviously it comes from the top with coaching, but more importantly from the core with the parents.  If you are calling, I assume, your coach a moron on a blog, I can only imagine what you say about that coach at home.

As for tonight, can't wait to see if Walpole shows up to win.   I hope they do. As for changes tonight, I'm guessing between the pipes.  Other than that, it is obvious that Walpole is challenged depth wise so who knows. 

Good luck to all the other teams playing tonight. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

Halfway Home.  This week marks the half-way point for most clubs.  After about another 6 games we will be able to start to forecast the number of potential D1 and D2 tourney teams as well as possible seeding’s.  One team that will not be in the tourney is Gardner/St. Bernard’s.  The MIAA has banned the winter sports teams from post season play.  I don’t know all the particulars but it revolves around Gardener’s swim team.  They were allowing swimmers to miss practice to swim in club events.  That is against the MIAA Rule Book.

D1 I am think maybe 24, 25 teams getting in.  Obviously it’s very early.  One interesting thing is the schedule some of the Tier 1 team have.  Teams like Woburn, AC, Reading, Hingham, Marys and Lexington could be anywhere from a 3-10 seed.   This could set up for some great 1st round matchups.  My top 5 for what it’s worth (not much):

Woburn

Hingham

Marys

Reading

AC

On the D2 side or D1A for you haters of divisions I think 21 or 22 teams get in.  It looks real top heavy in D2.  I think there are 3 teams fighting for the state title: Falmouth, Duxbury and Wellesley.

Falmouth

Duxbury

Wellesley

Canton

Norwood – could be many teams in this slot.  I think the top 4 are set but after that there is a lot of questions. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

It is unfortunate that the MIAA seeding is just based on records and not more data.  Kind of like what happens with the boys teams in the Super 8.  Doing a Super 8 for the girls would open up the rest of the divisions for possible titles a LOT more, and remove the ongoing concern about D1 vs D2.  Just take the 8 best teams regardless of division assignment and then let the normal MIAA seeding and play work it way for the D1 and D2 games.  The D1A playoff for girls could follow the same format the boys use with the round robin then the crossover games (semifinals) leading to the final championship. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mm3766. Show mm3766's posts

In response to goodtime19's comment:

Halfway Home.  This week marks the half-way point for most clubs.  After about another 6 games we will be able to start to forecast the number of potential D1 and D2 tourney teams as well as possible seeding’s.  One team that will not be in the tourney is Gardner/St. Bernard’s.  The MIAA has banned the winter sports teams from post season play.  I don’t know all the particulars but it revolves around Gardener’s swim team.  They were allowing swimmers to miss practice to swim in club events.  That is against the MIAA Rule Book.

D1 I am think maybe 24, 25 teams getting in.  Obviously it’s very early.  One interesting thing is the schedule some of the Tier 1 team have.  Teams like Woburn, AC, Reading, Hingham, Marys and Lexington could be anywhere from a 3-10 seed.   This could set up for some great 1st round matchups.  My top 5 for what it’s worth (not much):

Woburn

Hingham

Marys

Reading

AC

On the D2 side or D1A for you haters of divisions I think 21 or 22 teams get in.  It looks real top heavy in D2.  I think there are 3 teams fighting for the state title: Falmouth, Duxbury and Wellesley.

Falmouth

Duxbury

Wellesley

Canton

Norwood – could be many teams in this slot.  I think the top 4 are set but after that there is a lot of questions. 

Falmouth and Duxbury and then a group. I would't be to quick to put Wellesely and Canton in the next two slots.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TDCTom. Show TDCTom's posts

I have also heard that there is going to be a girls All Star game on March 30 in Worcester (DCU Center).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scooter8. Show Scooter8's posts

Woburn

Hingham

Marys

Reading

AC

Falmouth

Duxbury

Wellesley

Canton

gotta chuckle at those top 5 "D1" powers on your list above.  Duxbury and Falmouth would easily handle Woburn, AC and Reading. The games would really not be competitive.  So lets do a top 5 in state like the Herald - who clearly he gets it with the whole RPI deal.   Falmouth at 1 (they earned it since they beat the best) Duxbury 2, St Mary's 3, Hingham 4 and Canton 5. Swellesley is not even close. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandOrange. Show BlackandOrange's posts

Dear Scooter2,

And they'd still be in the D2 tournament. Come to Woburn sometime and we'll take you for a ride in the black and orange duck boat the Woburn girls ride to the away games in. We can do some catfishin!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

I agree Duxbury and Falmouth are very good teams and may beat some of the top 5 D1 teams. That said it is fairy tale land to rank the best 5 teams in the state or to use the RPI. I LOVE RPI because it includes SOS and I think it is a great tool for ranking teams. That said, as the MIAA is currently constituted polls and rankings that combine the divisions are fine but has NO bearing on the post season. The reason I post top 5 in each division is because if you are a D1 team going to the post season you better be aware of the 5 teams I have listed. A D1 team going to the tourney could care less about Falmouth or Duxbury. Hingham actually roots for Duxbury to win the D2 tourney every year and vice versa. Again, I am in favor of girls Super 8 or a realignment of the division. But of those 2 options, the Super 8 has a better chance of becoming a reality. There is no way the MIAA is going to realign just girls hockey. The divisions are based on girls enrolled at the school. 

And you are WAY off by putting Canton is the Top Fair Tale Land Poll.  Canton’s best win is Westwood 4-0.  There only other good opponent was Duxbury.  Just look to the Herald’s Top 5 both Divisions RPI Poll dated 1/16/13.  I agree with their top 5 although I would give Falmouth 1 for now.

Falmouth

Duxbury

Woburn

Marys

AC

Canton is at 11

Well, I guess in addition to thinking about who are the top 5 teams are in each division we could do a weekly combine poll.  From this day forth said poll will be referred to as the Fair Tale Land Poll or the FTL Poll.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mm3766. Show mm3766's posts

I agree Duxbury and Falmouth are very good teams and may beat some of the top 5 D1 teams. That said it is fairy tale land to rank the best 5 teams in the state or to use the RPI. I LOVE RPI because it includes SOS and I think it is a great tool for ranking teams. That said, as the MIAA is currently constituted polls and rankings that combine the divisions are fine but has NO bearing on the post season. The reason I post top 5 in each division is because if you are a D1 team going to the post season you better be aware of the 5 teams I have listed. A D1 team going to the tourney could care less about Falmouth or Duxbury. Hingham actually roots for Duxbury to win the D2 tourney every year and vice versa. Again, I am in favor of girls Super 8 or a realignment of the division. But of those 2 options, the Super 8 has a better chance of becoming a reality. There is no way the MIAA is going to realign just girls hockey. The divisions are based on girls enrolled at the school. 

And you are WAY off by putting Canton is the Top Fair Tale Land Poll.  Canton’s best win is Westwood 4-0.  There only other good opponent was Duxbury.  Just look to the Herald’s Top 5 both Divisions RPI Poll dated 1/16/13.  I agree with their top 5 although I would give Falmouth 1 for now.

Falmouth

Duxbury

Woburn

Marys

AC

Canton is at 11

Well, I guess in addition to thinking about who are the top 5 teams are in each division we could do a weekly combine poll.  From this day forth said poll will be referred to as the Fair Tale Land Poll or the FTL Poll.

Agree, Canton isn't in the same ballpark.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wobky. Show wobky's posts

I think Scooter needs to see if Duxbury can play in the prep league forget about MIAA. They are just to good for any MIAA divison.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scooter8. Show Scooter8's posts

In response to wobky's comment:

I think Scooter needs to see if Duxbury can play in the prep league forget about MIAA. They are just to good for any MIAA divison.

Bingo Wobky.  Duxbury, Falmouth AND Hingham.  Preps might offer more of a challenge.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandOrange. Show BlackandOrange's posts

Dear Scooter  2

try the bruins maybe they could challenge 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

I am beginning to realize that Scooter8 lives in a special world, wth the Oompa-Loompas running the Zamboni's...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandOrange. Show BlackandOrange's posts

Beverly/Danvers has just as many quality wins as Falmouth....only reason no one is talking about them is because no one from their team is online WHINING about it...?...Oompa Loompas, TOO FUNNY!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

In response to BlackandOrange's comment:

Beverly/Danvers has just as many quality wins as Falmouth....only reason no one is talking about them is because no one from their team is online WHINING about it...?...Oompa Loompas, TOO FUNNY!!!

I disagree with Beverly's quality wins.  Lynn is down a bit this season and not the big name team on an opp schedule this season.  SOS is 58.  I won't get behind this team until seeing them in the Cougar Classic.  Woods is having a great season.  And the Bev supports are ALL over twitter.  But I agree they aren't whinning. 

Falmouth played Westwood, Duxbury, Walpole and Barnstable.  Their SOS is 9.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scooter8. Show Scooter8's posts

In response to BlackandOrange's comment:

I wouldn't call it whining....boasting maybe....but not whining. Goodtime:  proof read your posts. How did Falmouth do when they played Falmouth???  Huh?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruffian143. Show ruffian143's posts

I am a new sports photographer and recently shot a high school girls game at the Peabody rink.  I don't have the euqipment to get good results at a rink like that, however I get great shots at Salem State. 

My question is this, do these teams ever play any post season games at the college rinks, or are they just at municipal barns?

Also, does anyone know if there are either Garden or MIAA restricions on tournament photograpy at the Garden?

Thanks for your time and feedback.  Any help would be appreciated. :)

David :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Well it looks like a few teams stubbed their toes a bit over the weekend, while other teams kept on winning games they were expected to win.  Woburn's goalie CD is on a nice run with only one goal allowed in the past 6 games.  Hard to lose when your goalie is stopping everything.  The one Reading goal came out of a scrum in front of the net.  As they enter the final portion of the season some big contests are on the list.  That end of the year tourney will be an interesting time for all the top dogs to measure each other a bit.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilledhockeydad. Show Chilledhockeydad's posts

In response to ruffian143's comment:

I am a new sports photographer and recently shot a high school girls game at the Peabody rink.  I don't have the euqipment to get good results at a rink like that, however I get great shots at Salem State. 

My question is this, do these teams ever play any post season games at the college rinks, or are they just at municipal barns?

Also, does anyone know if there are either Garden or MIAA restricions on tournament photograpy at the Garden?

The playoff games are typically hosted by the higher ranked team at their home rink. Winchester occassionally had a regular game at a better arena, but it was a regular season one-off. They played at Tsongas Arena once. No idea on the restrictions. Good luck.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruffian143. Show ruffian143's posts

In response to Chilledhockeydad's comment:

The playoff games are typically hosted by the higher ranked team at their home rink. Winchester occassionally had a regular game at a better arena, but it was a regular season one-off. They played at Tsongas Arena once. No idea on the restrictions. Good luck.

Thank you for the feedback.  I appreciate it, very much. :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TDCTom. Show TDCTom's posts

In response to Chilledhockeydad's comment:

Thank you for the feedback.  I appreciate it, very much. :)

The semi-final have been in the Stoneham rink for the past few years.  It's a great rink, but I cannot tell you if the lighting is good enough for quality shots.  Probably not, as it was never set up for television.

Sections
Shortcuts